Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 3: August 2010 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Margrethe has visited the Danish troops in the Helmand province of Afghanistan.
Hendes Majestæt Dronningen i Helmand
She arrived at Camp Price with Defence Minister Gitte Lillelund Bech yesterday forenoon.

She has now returned.

ADDED: Article and gallery from Berlinske Tidende: http://www.b.dk/globalt/dronningen-har-besoegt-krigszone
And a large gallery from BT: http://www.bt.dk/royale/her-er-margrethe-ved-fronten

ADDED AGAIN: Very high resolution pics: http://www.fmn.dk/nyheder/Pages/HMDronningenpaabesoeghosdedanskestyrkeriHelmand.aspx
You will in the galleries see FET agents hovering in the background.

QMII said: "It's an immense experience to come here. I've heard so much about it and read about it. I feel, that now I've not only just been here, but now I can put my own images to what I hear and read about. To meet our soldiers down here is really an experience. I'm very impressed of their effort/contribution".

The visit was secret and came as a complete surprise to most soldiers, who as a nurse put it: "I was a bit surprised, as there was someone saying the Queen is walking out there. It's a big, joyous surprise and I have a great respect for the Queen going outhere".

The visit was informal, although shadowed by the flags flying at half mast, due to two British soldiers being killed.

QMII said about her impressions: "It's in particular the good calm mood that reigns among all here. Both men and women (*). I think it's good there are som many women. There are more than previously. It's obvious that they serve on absolutely equal footing as the men as a matter of course. That's really grand".

The visit was short. And right now the Danish forces are slowly being relieved from the FOB's Forward Operations Bases by Afghan units. It's expected that the last Danish combat troops will have been withdrawn by 2015.
Apart from Camp Price QMII also Visitied Camp Bastion and Patrol Baseline.

It was Frederik who had encouraged his mother to go to Afghanistan.

QMII said: "I wish all the best to all who are here and wish that they all come home in good health, but also that they always should know that the months they spend here was worth it and was appreciated. It's also very important that we appreciate them at home and show the families the support they must have. Because you work/function best if you know that what's at home will do fine. You should not have half a head at home, when you need all your senses down here in Helmand".

So far 40 Danish soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan, making the Danish fatallity rate the highest per capity among the Coalition countries.

You will find a number of pics in the various papers.

Okay, I'm biased but QMII is a cool Queen. :cool:

(*) The current battallion has the largest contingent of women serving serving so far. They constitute IRRC about 10 % of the battallion.
Women naturally also serve among the combat troops and have done so for a long time.
Women are very useful indeed! Not least when dealing with civilians, but oddly enough also to defuse a a potential explosive situation, as some macho-types feel a bit silly if they have to huff and puff against women.
I teamed up with a woman for a period in the former Jugoslavia and she was great!

Last edited:
Queen Margrethe has visited the Danish troops in the Helmand province of Afghanistan.

How wonderful of the Queen to have undertaken this trip. Well done.

I know Charles hasd previously beeen, but I do hope he and Camilla make a trip soon too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if it will be streamed online but it will have English subtitles.

I'll look around on the SBS2 website and see if I can find anything. It would be so nice to see what exactly they are all saying! Can't watch it live - 8pm in Australia is the middle of the night for me - but maybe it will be available on the website later as well.

Also, I think it's wonderful that Margrethe went to Afghanistan!

Wow I bet her visit to Camp price boosted the Troops morale. I'm glad Fred talked her into going and she looks great in the khaki overalls and so relaxed.

BT has written more about the visit to Afghanistan: Margrethe sov med soldaterne - Udland - BT.dk

They claim that as this article is written, i.e. Friday morning DK time, QMII is on the way home via an undisclosed route.

QMII spend the night in Camp Price.

Apart from that the military is very secretive about when and how anything took place.

Here is also a video from Afghanistan: Billed-Bladet - Video: Interview med dronningen i Afghanistan

Did anyone else notice how rested & youthful the Queen looks -- with OUT her bright red lipstick

Did anyone else notice how rested & youthful the Queen looks -- with OUT her bright red lipstick

Yes. Almost carefree.

She looked like that in Norway as well.
Gneuinely happy and in harmony with herself.

Last night on SBS2 at 8pm Australian Eastern time they showed a half hour documentary on the DRF. Starting with the Queens 69th birthday appearance on the balcony and then moved on to Lars Rassmussen becoming Prime Minister, and Princess Marie having her baby. One thing HM did say that was a revelation to me was that she doesn't have a mobile phone, nor does she use email. She said she isn't very good with buttons. I am pretty sure they said it would be a 7 part series. It wasn't that great a show, as it has been edited to death. I would have liked to have seen more of the family relaxed behind the scenes, before they walked out onto the balcony. HM gave little Cristian some cake and Frederik was saying only a little bit please. However, I am delighted to see anything on the royal family. Some nice moments with Prince Henrik in the car with Felix and Nikolai on the way to visit Princess Marie in Hospital.

More from QMII's visit to Afghanistan, including her short but very much appreciated speech to the soldiers: Mor, dét skal du gøre!

The speech: http://forsvaret.dk/HOK/Nyt og Presse/ISAF/Documents/HMD_tale.pdf
Which took place in Camp Price Thursdy morning:

I'd like to begin by saying "Goodmorning soldiers".

I've been looking tremendously forward to coming down here and greet you and I will not leave out to begin by saying hello from the Crown Prince and Crown Princess Mary.
They know that I go down here and it was very much the Crown Prince who said: "Mother, that you (simply) must do"!

I've been looking forward to meeting all of you and see how you live down here. I've heard so much about it and read quite a bit and it's a very big experience to come, in the middle of this alien/foreign/strange worl,d and meet so many happy and optimistic Danish smiles and good glances (i.e. high moral), which I do today and did yesterday.
I wish all of you the (very) best.

Your effort is really something that is noticed out and about (i.e. internationally) and that is something we also feel at home in Denmark. Both when there are sad and when there are good news.

I will also adhere to the Minister's words about the two fallen Britons. It also affects me, because we are all together down here, whether we are Danish, British and whatever nationality we happen to be. There are sacrifices in connection with entering this (i.e. the war) and you know that and we also know that at home.
We can tell from your determined and (yet) both serious and happy faces. I wish you all the very best from my heart and wish to see all of you at home and safe.

God bless you!

Thank you very much Muhler for your time and effort with the translation of HM 's speech. I am very pleased she went and hope it boosted morale for the troops there to see a friendly face from home.

You are welcome, Tarlita :)

Excerpt of article in Billed Bladet #13, 2011.
Vores modige Dronning - Our brave Queen.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

Who interviewed the second in command of the Danish battallion in the Helmand province, lieutenant colonel Flemming Meinertz.
So this is more an account from the viewpoint of the soldiers.

Lieutenant colonel Meinertz said: "It's incredible brave of the Queen to visit us here in Afghanistan and that shows that huge interest she has for the Danish soldiers in Helmand. It's been noticed everywhere, also among our foreign colleagues, who would hardly believe she was here. There has never been a Regent so far out in the field (*), all the way out in the first line. The Queen is really a fantastic person.
For security reasons the soldiers were only told (about the visit) the evening before and we were told that no particular considerations should be made for the Majesty. She wanted to live on the same terms as the rest of us and she did. We share camp (Camp Price) with the Britons, and their commanding officer, who is responsible for running the camp, wanted that the chow-tent, Cook House, should be cleared, so that there was plenty of room for the Queen. But that wasn't how she wanted it, so she ate on equal footing as the rest of us, stood in line and waited for the food and got water and lemonade to go with it. That was something the soldiers really respected.
At night she slept in a tent on an ordinary field bed and the only difference in respect to the accommodation was that a small part of the tent arranged for her to sleep alone. (**)
I noticed it was our desert-undershirt and desertboots the Queen was wearing when she stepped out of the helicopter".
He also noticed that QMII had braided her hair in a pigtail and decorated it with a bright red bow one day and a lillac bow the next. (***)
"The Queen also wore her beautiful marguerite brooch. It was a lady with style and you couldn't tell at all that she soon turns 71. It can certainly be heavy to move around in the heat, it was about 35 degrees C in the middle of the day, but you could not tell that from her.
It was clear that the Queen was very well prepared. She was dedicated and (she) asked a lot and her questions were well thought through. She was genuinely interested in what the soldiers are doing and she wanted to know a lot when she was shown around.
Wednesday's shedule ended at 21.00 and afterwards we sat in the recreation tent for the soldiers and had a cosy time. We drank coffee and talked about this and that regarding the days impressions. The Queen told that the thousands of stars at the sky reminded her of back then when she had been excavating in Nubia. (****)
The evening ended with her engraved her name, just like other guests, in a pane of glass with an electrical engraving machine.
Queen Margrethe's visit to Helmand meant a lot to the soldiers. She was down to earth and could talk to everyone and she never said no when anyone wanted to be photographed with her. All was carried out with style and elegance.
The Queen is the most fantastic person we have been visted by. It was a pleasure to show her around, she radiated positivity (positive vibes) and joy. We feel it was a great honor to be visted by the Majesty. To us in Helmand it was a huge encouragement, which we can live on for a long time".

I can't say for certain which regiment lieutenant colonel Meinertz belongs to, but it's not one of the guards regiments.

(*) QMII visited the Patrol Baseline along the front line. The last stop before the most exposed outposts.

(**) I have not noticed any of QMII's LiW's around. I did however recognise the colonel who is head of her staff of adjutants.

(***) A typical QMII! She's always been colorful. :lol:

(****) North Africa. In her youth.

A proud and happy Prince Henik has opened a new shop on his castle Chateau
de Caix in Cahors, France, today, April 8, 2011 :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Queen Margrethe attends uk wedding alone!

The royal court has announced on their website that HM will attend the wedding in London. This means that she will go alone as HRH the Consort is not mentioned. It doesn't say whether she'll stay on for the festivities in the evening. Somehow I doubt that she will.

She's has an appointment the following afternoon in Denmark.

Viv

Appropriate.

With a Challenger, she can be in UK and back in say six to eight hours.

The royal court has announced on their website that HM will attend the wedding in London. This means that she will go alone as HRH the Consort is not mentioned. It doesn't say whether she'll stay on for the festivities in the evening. Somehow I doubt that she will.

She's has an appointment the following afternoon in Denmark.

Viv

Is that unusual Viv for the Queen to attend a Wedding on her own?

Hello An Ard Ri!
If I remember correctly: She was alone in the Netherlands for the Willem-Alexander and Maxima wedding. It may have had something to do with the then 'Prince Henrik crisis'; I'm also 100 certain that she attended at least one of the Norwegian weddings alone!
Maybe a fellow Dane can remember?

Appropriate.
With a Challenger, she can be in UK and back in say six to eight hours.
If she's really fast she could be heading back home before the bridal
procession hits the gates of Buckingham Palace !

Viv

Last edited:
Hello An Ard Ri!
If I remember correctly: She was alone in the Netherlands for the Willem-Alexander and Maxima wedding. It may have had something to do with the then 'Prince Henrik crisis'; I'm also 100 certain that she attended at least one of the Norwegian weddings alone!
Maybe a fellow Dane can remember?
Viv
Crown Prince Frederik also attended the Wedding of Willem-Alexander and Máxima. And the Queen also attended the Wedding of Haakon and Mette-Marit alone without Henrik. But Frederik was also there as he was bestman. And if i remeber right she also attended Märtha Louise's Wedding without Henrik.
Could she not have brought Frederik and Mary with her to London as Sofia is also acompanied by Felipe and Letizia.

Could she not have brought Frederik and Mary with her to London as Sofia is also acompanied by Felipe and Letizia.
Stefan, I doubt it! CP Frederik told a Danish journalist last week that he and Mary were not invited. So I don't think that you can tell St. James' Palace/Clarence House that 'the Prince Consort is otherwise engaged, can I take the CPly couple instead?":)

As for Spain I don't know whether the CPly couple is invited? King Juan Carlos never attends weddings, so who knows?

viv

I sometimes wonder how the queen of Denmark thinks about her cousin Philip giving up his Greek, but after all: Danish title of a HRH Prince of Denmark and how she is invited as a "foreign" Royal when she is dynastically the Head of the Main branch of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Gluecksburg...

That is interesting. Well then she can sit with the widowed Queen Beatrix and Queen Sofia. (They can relax and reminisce about their own children's weddings ;) )

As for Spain I don't know whether the CPly couple is invited? King Juan Carlos never attends weddings, so who knows?

viv
It was announced last week that QSofia is attending with the Felipe and Letizia.

Stefan, I doubt it! CP Frederik told a Danish journalist last week that he and Mary were not invited. So I don't think that you can tell St. James' Palace/Clarence House that 'the Prince Consort is otherwise engaged, can I take the CPly couple instead?":)

viv

Queen Sofia of Spain will be accompanied by the Prince & Princess of Asturias to the wedding.

The King won't be attending.

It is known that both Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Margrethe II are very close; in wartime, Margrethe was known as Daisy; Elizabeth as Lilibet, so I think this is the nature of the invitation.
It is strange that Queen Sofia will go, as it is not the heir to the throne who marries. I think the King and Queen of the Belgians will not go, but will send the Crown Prince and Princess.

It is known that both Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Margrethe II are very close; in wartime, Margrethe was known as Daisy; Elizabeth as Lilibet, so I think this is the nature of the invitation.
It is strange that Queen Sofia will go, as it is not the heir to the throne who marries. I think the King and Queen of the Belgians will not go, but will send the Crown Prince and Princess.

Queen Sofia was invited as were the Prince & Princess of Asturias,maybe she's looking forward to a day out :D

That is interesting. Well then she can sit with the widowed Queen Beatrix and Queen Sofia. (They can relax and reminisce about their own children's weddings ;) )
Queen Beatrix will not attend. Willem-Alexander and Máxima will.

I think the BRF has handled this in a very peculiar way.

The BRF has always send secondary representation to the recent CP wedding in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and I believe Spain as well. I can't remember Belgium and the Netherlands.
And that was fair enough as they were also invited to the private celabrations afterwards. So younger royals would often be better suited and it would give them an opportunity to bond.

At this next wedding it's the son of the heir who is getting married and suddenly it considered appropriate by the British court to invite the various monarchs. Then only to let them take part in the reception, after that goodbye...

I don't know what happened. Did they get to end of the list and said: "Oh we also need to invite the continental royals, but we've only got fourteen seat, so who to invite"?
Or is it plain snobbery? "We can send lower representatives to continental wedding, but oh no, nothing short of monarchs are appropriate when the son of our heir is getting married".
It's not handled particularly elegantly in my opinion. I mean, a CP wedding happens once in every generation. You either do it with full royal bling bling or keep it very low key, like Charles and Camilla. You can't do both.

If a family acted that way towards my own extended family, they wouldn't get an invitation for the next event in my family. And we would just send a greeting card to them the next time they celebrated something.

I'll be interesting to see how many regent couples who turn up. i.e. both of them. And how "busy" there are about returning home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom