Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 3: August 2010 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Henrik is visiting French Guiana in South America as the president of the Danish WWF. March 07, 2011

PPE Agency Jutland

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #10, 2011.
Henrik i gode hænder - Henrik in safe hands.
Written by Anna Johannesen.

Prince Henrik is in French Guyana right now, you know, the Ariane rockets and all that.

And even though he is there to look at turtles among other creatures in his capacity as president of WWF, he has also had time to walk in the carnival procession through the town of Cayenne.

As I write this and look at the picture in the article I can safely state, that while Henrik was in "normal" clothes and the rest were dressed up, the carnival certainly did not become less colorful because he walked in the parade!

Those among you who were mesmerized by Frederik's red pants when the twins were born ain't seen anything yet! :eek:

Henrik will return to DK on Sunday.

Last edited:
As I write this and look at the picture in the article I can safely state, that while Henrik was in "normal" clothes and the rest were dressed up, the carnival certainly did not become less colorful because he walked in the parade!

Prince Henrik notwithstanding, the parade was not as colourful and spectacular as RIO though;)!

Viv

Solskinsdronningen – The sunshine queen.
Excerpts from interview in Billed Bladet #10, 2011.
Interviewer: Annelise Weimann.

The 71 year old QMII is currently on her annual skiing holiday in Gausdal in Norway. Together with her LiW, Annette de Scheel, and a Norwegian female friend, Eleonora Sibbern, and two anonymous gentleman from PET and the Norwegian security police.

QM: “I ski every day, a nice little trip for three-four hours. Yesterday we managed five, but it’s not like in the old days, where we went really far”.

Q: How is your shape?
QM: “Oh, it could be worse. But the times when we went from cabin to cabin and brought at lunch pack with us are over. That I always had in the bottom-slapper”. (A bag).

QM: “Isn’t it beautiful here? Let’s walk a bit further, so that we can enjoy the beautiful view. We are fortunate with the weather; it’s been good since I arrived”.

They are close to a mountain called: Skeikampen.

Q: Have you ever been up there?
QM: “Yes, for many of the Lords years ago, (*) when we were children. I was almost fourteen and my sisters were correspondingly younger. Back then there was no ski lift, but we did reach the summit. We didn’t think it was strenuous, it was just exiting”.

Q: Were you here with your parents?
QM: “Father didn’t ski and mother was only up here a couple of times. We were sent up here along with our nannies and mother’s LiW, Awa Armfeldt, who died a couple of years ago. She was familiar with Norway and thought Skeikampen would be a good place to ski. It was in 1954 that we were here the first time, it’s really incredible. And fun to think about”.

Q: How is your health?
QM: “Excellent”.

Q: You no longer have problems with your knees?
QM: “Nope, I don’t notice them at all. Imagine, after having skied that long, I don’t notice I’ve got them. It’s probably four years ago that I had my surgery and ever since I’ve been fine. I have to think a long way back, in order to remember how it was, when I had problems with my knees”.

Q: How do you stay fit, when you don’t ski?
QM: “I’m so fortunate as to live in some big houses with many stairs, and I walk up and down the stairs many times during the day. And from October to May I attend ballet (lessons) once a week. But I’m not a kind of exercise geek, you could hardly say that”.

Q: Will your friend, Queen Sonja come up here?
QM: “Yes, we are going to meet at some point. She is skiing like I don’t know what. She’s not born with skis on, I rather believe the skis were born on her”!

(I’ve omitted a part of QMII telling about how she introduced Frederik and Joachim to skiing, but that they prefer alpine skiing. And also why QMII see absolutely no reason to change her ski suit, why, it’s hardly worn)!

Q: Next month your twin-grandchildren are going to be christened. Do you know their names?
QM: “No, I do not. I didn’t want to ask. I don’t find that courteous. I don’t even know whether they have made up their minds. They should be allowed to keep that to themselves”.

Q: Will you be told about the names, prior to the christening?
QM: “Yes, I’m certain of that. I’ve been told the other times and from both sides”.

Q: How are the twins?
QMII: “They are sweet, really sweet”.

Q: Is there a difference between them, apart from being a boy and a girl?
QM: “Yes, I think so, you can tell from the pictures as well. They are not like two identical little eggs. They each have their own little looks and they are also different internally. They are after all very new, but their mother says, she can feel a distinct difference in how they react and behave. That’s very funny”. (**)

Q: Is it different to have twin-grandchildren? (***)
QM: “Not for me. But I can tell how much it means for the family it afflicts, if I may say so. There is after all twice as much all the time; it’s very strenuous. I have the impression that it’s sleeping, eating, breastfeeding. Sleeping, eating, breastfeeding”.

Q: Are Prince Christian and Princess Isabella jealous?
QM: “Not at all. They find it exciting with the little boy and the little girl. They are very proud of them and their parents are very good at showing the children that they don’t take the back seat just because twins have arrived”.

Q: Princess Isabella has started to attend dancing (lessons)?
QM: “Yes, she has something she has to do, and which she finds funny. And the Crown Prince is taking so good care of his big boy. It’s very good and both children are fine”.

Q: “Do you see them regularly?
QM: “Yes, but we don’t see each other every other day. We are all very busy. I also believe that when you have two children to breastfeed at the same time, you shouldn’t have your mother-in-law knocking on your doors all the time, or whoever it is. I think it’s pretty strenuous to have twins and one shouldn’t be there at all hours”.

Q: You have had many official travels this year and you have just been to Bahrain. Have you regretted going there?
QM: “Nom I certainly couldn’t. I’m after all not psychic. The situation was simply not how it became later on. Hindsight is, as you know, the highest form of wisdom. You can of course say that it was very unfortunate that events went the way they did, but when we planned the trip and went, there was no reason to believe that we shouldn’t go. It would have been most discourteous if one had said that due to unrest in Egypt, we couldn’t go to Bahrain. Try take a look on map of the world, to see how far there is from one place to another”.

QMII: Also talks about the advantages of sailing with Dannebrog during the summer cruise this year: “(Having) Dannebrog on the journey makes a huge difference. When we come onboard after long days schedule, there may be something in the evening as well, you feel at home at once. You sleep in your own bed, have your own cupboard, where the things are and you know what way to turn the taps in the bathroom, to get the right temperature. When you change from hotel to hotel, you almost need a drivers license for the fittings in the bathroom each time”.

QMII also went to Holmekollen to watch the world skiing championships, along with the Norwegian Regent Couple and the CP-couples from Norway and Sweden.

(*) An expression. Used to emphasize how long ago it is. It has no longer any connection with religion. Not for several centuries.

(**) One of QMII’s favorite expressions.

(***) QMII must have been in a good mood, she has been known to squash a question like that before. – Of course twins are different!

Prince Henrik is visiting French Guiana in South America as the president of the Danish WWF. March 11, 2011

PPE Agency Jutland

Thanks for translating that, Muhler. I'm impressed by how fit Queen Margrethe is even after the knee replacements. Nice that she can still get out and do something she enjoys so much.

I love the translation ...bottom-slapper. I assume it is what is also called fanny-pack.

Prince Henrik dancing with Indian girls near Mana - they were happy that he
wanted to participate, March 12, 2011:

** ppe gallery **

Prince Henrik swimming in the Kaw River because of the heat - as to the caption
it's been a bit dangerous as alligators and crocodiles live in the river but a security
guard was with him ;)

** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
Prince Henrik swimming in the Kaw River because of the heat - as to the caption
it's been a bit dangerous as alligators and crocodiles live in the river but a security
guard was with him ;)

** ppe gallery **

Well, not quite a smart move to swim in a bit of a dangerous river IMO, there wont be much the security can do if he does get attacked. Anyways, he does seem to be having a good time on this visit, pity the Queen couldn't have joined him. Looked more like a break from official events :lol:

Well, not quite a smart move to swim in a bit of a dangerous river IMO, there wont be much the security can do if he does get attacked. Anyways, he does seem to be having a good time on this visit, pity the Queen couldn't have joined him. Looked more like a break from official events :lol:

Of course the Prince Consort and his guard scared away any possible danger from amphibious predators (one look and the crocodiles headed for British Guyana!) As to the Queen joining him, I believe that most successful marriages include short breaks for each of the partners from one another! The prince dances, the Queen skis!:lol::cool:

Of course the Prince Consort and his guard scared away any possible danger from amphibious predators (one look and the crocodiles headed for British Guyana!) As to the Queen joining him, I believe that most successful marriages include short breaks for each of the partners from one another! The prince dances, the Queen skis!:lol::cool:

:lol: At least he's not mooning us.
Come to think of it, that would scare away even the most determined crocodile. :eek:

He seems to be genuinely enjoying himself and a couple of years ago he said that he wanted to go travelling, now that he had more or less retired.
He certainly has been travelling a lot these last couple of years.
And why not? At his age he's deserved some time for himself.

That he at the same time is wearing outfits that would turn any selfrespecting ara pale with envy, is only amusing. :p

Queen Margrethe handed out "the Queen's Watch" to Jon A.N. Bislev of the
Royal Life Guard during the Queen's Watch parade, Copenhagen, March 16:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Queen Margrethe handed out "the Queen's Watch" to Jon A.N. Bislev of the
Royal Life Guard during the Queen's Watch parade, Copenhagen, March 16:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Ah, she's wearing the Teletubbies outfit again. :p

Queen Margrethe presented the watch parade at the Royal Guard Barracks by Rosenborg Palace. March 16, 2011

PPE Agency ** sn.dk

Last edited:
Summary of note in Billed Bladet #11, 2011.

Well, while QMII astonish the world in her outfit at home in DK, Prince Henrik continued to baffle humans and animals in French Guyana.

This time he cradled a (fairly small) boa in his arms, frightning the poor creature by pursing his lips and nearing the head of the serpent to his lips.
I don't know if snakes can see colors, in which case it might already have been stunned by the... well, colorful hippie-camuflage-patterned shirt Henrik was wearing.

Last edited:
Thank you Muhler for the time and effort you put in for the translation. It is very much appreciated here in Australia. I have become a big fan of your wonderful Queen. She is so much like how I would expect a modern Queen of our times to be. Open and honest and down to earth but with a reserve one can respect.
cheers

Thank you Muhler for the time and effort you put in for the translation. It is very much appreciated here in Australia. I have become a big fan of your wonderful Queen. She is so much like how I would expect a modern Queen of our times to be. Open and honest and down to earth but with a reserve one can respect.
cheers

You are welcome, Tarlita :flowers:
I can only agree with you. QMII is a formidable lady.

What I find particularly endearing about her is that she is often wonderfully politically incorrect and that she readily admits her faults, while at the same time she is more or less stating: that's how I am, take it or leave it. :lol:

And just think how many of us here on the forums might never have bothered to get to know your Danish Royal family if Mary Donaldson had not married Prince Frederik. I know this statement means I credit Mary with quite a lot. But the simple fact is that The only royal families I knew of was of course Windsors and also Monaco, which get quite a bit of coverage in the media here. I was totally ignorant about other royal houses in Europe until Mary came along. I then decided to look at all the royal families of Europe to see who little Christian would be related. I found them all so interesting that I looked back several generations and looked at the Badens, Hohenzollerns, Mecklenburg Schwerins and so on. I was always interested in what happened to the Romanovs and have studied the history of all the Grand dukes and grand Duchesses. So a whole a new world of interest was opened up to me because of Mary.
And I must say I find royal houses past and present more interesting than the Windsors. The other Danish Royal whom I have the greatest regard for is King Christain IX. His siblings had an enormous impact on the history other royal houses. But he was a remarkable man in his own right.
Goodness me that is quite a rant for an early morning here.
cheers

Yeah, I guess I'd have to credit Mary as well for joining the royal boards.
The interest was there of course but it was when M&F married, and as a consequence of that the increased (mainly Australian) interest in the DRF, that really made me join up.
It's also a good way to practise my English.

So I've ended up learning a lot about Australia and also more about the other European royal families. (Mainly those who associate with M&F, initially). Because even though the Euro-royals are fairly well covered in the DK media, it's another thing to learn from people who really know their stuff!

And just think how many of us here on the forums might never have bothered to get to know your Danish Royal family if Mary Donaldson had not married Prince Frederik. I know this statement means I credit Mary with quite a lot. But the simple fact is that The only royal families I knew of was of course Windsors and also Monaco, which get quite a bit of coverage in the media here. I was totally ignorant about other royal houses in Europe until Mary came along. I then decided to look at all the royal families of Europe to see who little Christian would be related. I found them all so interesting that I looked back several generations and looked at the Badens, Hohenzollerns, Mecklenburg Schwerins and so on. I was always interested in what happened to the Romanovs and have studied the history of all the Grand dukes and grand Duchesses. So a whole a new world of interest was opened up to me because of Mary.
And I must say I find royal houses past and present more interesting than the Windsors. The other Danish Royal whom I have the greatest regard for is King Christain IX. His siblings had an enormous impact on the history other royal houses. But he was a remarkable man in his own right.
Goodness me that is quite a rant for an early morning here.
cheers

For those that are interested, SBS2 in Australia will show the first episode of the 7 part TV series from Denmark I think it was "Kongehuset Indefra" or The Kingdom Behind the Scenes as it is called in Aus on Friday at 8pm.

I am not sure if this is posted in the correct spot.

So I assume they are going to have English subtitles? Is it possible to see the Australian broadcast online?

Not sure if it will be streamed online but it will have English subtitles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom