Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 3: August 2010 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dear friends, never ever use the word "old" in respect of a lady, rather look for a replacement word

dear friends, never ever use the word "old" in respect of a lady, rather look for a replacement word

We know. That's the joke. :)

Old bag incidentally stems back from the early 1700's. When British regiments (actually Scottish in this case) fought on the continent. They brought with them their families and they went with the baggage train. Where personal belongings were litterally stored in bags.
Camp followers were often a pretty unruly lot! Hence the expression "old bag" for what was originally a somewhat fiesty female camp follower.

Even earlier, the mercenary armies had a designated profoss/provost to specifically keep order of the baggage train and the campfollowers. He had the very descriptive title of "Hurenwebel".

Last edited:
no, no, Muhler, I did not refer to the yoke with the old bag, which is very funny and you explain it as from the beginning of the 17th century , but my English not being so good, I could not capture the full meaning, on the average I understand it, and to the "Hurenwebel" I must nevertheless say: "pfui"), no, no, I meant a former post.......but, after reflection, so what?

Sternchen, don't do that to me! :lol:

Now I have images of QEII holding her bag up to her ear.
Not to mention how her call is recieved in the other end: "The old bag is calling us, sir..". - Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I knew I could count on you :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: But I was more thinking of the book that reported, that the way she holds her handbag could mean, that she is bored to death and wants to be rescued by someone and some more things :)

New LiW for Her Majesty the Queen

Danish paper B.T reports that QM will be saying goodbye to 70-yo LiW Camilla Castenskiold and is replacing her with 60yo Jytte Krag-Juel-Vind-Frijs, a former mayor from the liberal party (Venstre). Jytte Krag-Juel-Vind-Frijs will begin her engagement in the court at 01. april 2011.

Source: Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Nyheder

TV2 news reported that QMII and Prince Henrik arrived today, by train to Aarhus, where they will stay a few days at Marselisborg Slot, before celebrating Christmas at Schackenborg.

Probably a good idea they arrived today, even if by train, as a blizzard is expected to hit DK Wednesday evening with heavy snowfall.
That's one thing but it's so cold these days that salting the roads have little or no effect.
It may be a looong ride to Schackenborg from Aarhus!

TV2 news reported that QMII and Prince Henrik arrived today, by train to Aarhus, where they will stay a few days at Marselisborg Slot, before celebrating Christmas at Schackenborg.

Probably a good idea they arrived today, even if by train, as a blizzard is expected to hit DK Wednesday evening with heavy snowfall.
That's one thing but it's so cold these days that salting the roads have little or no effect.
It may be a looong ride to Schackenborg from Aarhus!

Queen Margrethe has so many homes! Indeed, she has the palace in Copenhagen, I presume Fredensborg, Marseliborg, Graasten which Queen Ingrid used to occupy, the chateau de Caix, the royal yacht and I presume the farm house given to her and Prince Henrik as a wedding present from the people of Denmark!!! Also, Denmark is not that big a country.

That is true.

Queen Margrethe has residence accommodation in Christian IX \ 's Palace at Amalienborg Palace in the capital Copenhagen. Fredensborg Palace is used as a residence in the Spring and Autumn period, while Marselisborg Castle in Aarhus, the second largest city in Denmark is used a portion of the summer. Perhaps also in the easter?
The royal couple also stays at Graasten in the south of Denmark and at the wine estate Château de Cayx in France in the summer.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think only Marselisborg and Chateau de caïx and the hunting cabin in Trend, belongs to Queen Margrethe and Prince Henry as private property.

The rest are state property.

Queen Margrethe attended the funeral of former Lady in waiting Marianne Boel
at Garnisions Kirke - church in Copenhagen, December 28, 2010. Countess
Alexandra attended as well. Marianne Boel died on December 18, aged 71.

** ppe gallery **

Based on a Q&A in Billed Bladet #52, 2010.
Where a Tove Rasmussen ask about the tradition of the Regent Couple New Years Eve.

Jon Bloch Skipper explains that the Regent Couple and a circle of friends take turn in husting the New Year celebrations.
And they have done so for more than 30 years.
A part of the tradition is to dress up in costumes based on a theme.
In 2008-2009, QMII was dressed up as Tinker Bell. In 2003, she was dressed up as ace of hearts.

I remember one year where she was dressed up as an old and bend woman and she was almost unrecognicable!

The friends are: Susanne & Peter Heering, Bente Scavenius and Joen Bille. Kjeld and Birgitta Hillingsø.

As the attentive among you may have noticed, we have now entered a new year.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #1, 2011.
Prins Henrik fyrede den af - Prince Henrik set it off.
Written by Trine Larsen & Frodi Holm Knudsen.

The Regent Couple celebrated New Years Eve at Amalienborg along with a number of friends. As always they dressed up. The theme this year was: animals from Noah's ark.

The guests arrived at 19.15. - An hour after QMII finished her live New Year address.
At 00.15 Prince Henrik, one of the ladies and a number of gentlemen went to Amalienborg Garden, right next to Amalienborg in order to have some serious fireworks!

It was Henrik's valet, Jesper Jensen, who as usual was in charge of purchasing, organising and seting up the fireworks. So all PH and the gentlemen had to do was to lit it.
The fireworks went on for half an hour.

To say PH was in a good mood would be an understatement. He applauded enthusiatically at the fireworks and commended his valet: "That was really nice. Very beautiful. I enjoyed it a lot. - And I think you (formal you) should have a raise in your salary".

Jensen bowed with a big smile: "Thank you very much".

Prince Henrik also chatted to our reporter: "A very happy New Year. It's it just a fantasticly grand fireworksdisplay"?
- Sure, but how about the grandchildren? Won't they wake up?
"Ha, ha, yeah, they might", turning towards the windows of M&F's palais.

About the New Year celebrations :
- "It's been really cosy and fun, but we have after all only been a small circle of friends tonight. It has been a lovely Christmas and a lovely New Year. During Christmas we were at Prince Joachim and Princess Marie with some of the grandchildren, so that was a very lovely Christmas. Really Southern Jutlandic, a bit French and very cosy".

His health is fine?

"Yeah, but I really am fine. Considering my age the health is fine, but I do work out dilligently". (*)

The ladies, among them QMII, were more sensible than the boys, they stood warm in windows and looked at the fireworks from there.

Mary and Frederik celebrated New Year in Hellerup.

Joachim and our Marie celebrated the new year close by, in Copenhagen.

(*) Oookay Henrik, if you say so...:p

Prince Henrik has agreed to be Patron of the Elephant Parade Copenhagen as
well as to paint one of the elephants himself. The event will take place from
June 1st till August 25th and will raise money to save the Asian elephant.

Prince Henry is known as a nature lover, is committed to the World Wildlife
Fund's work and has a passion for Asia.

** Pic ** gallery **

** lokalavisen.dk: Prins Henrik vil male elefant **

** Elephant Parade Copenhagen 2011 **

Yes I'm sure when she was younger her majesty would have enjoyed a good dig site to investigate. Perhaps with her age now she would just enjoy being present while someone else does the work. Whatever, she would find new digs very exciting.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #04, 2011.
Prins Henrik maler elefant - Prince Henrik paints elephant.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Prince Henrik has become patron of Elephant Parade Copenhagen. And as such he has committed to paint one of a total of 100 elephants which will be displayed all over Copenhagen from 1. June to 25. August.

The purpose of the whole thing is to raise funds to help saving the Asian elephant.

The elephants are live size copies of Asian baby elephants and they will be sold afterwars at an auction.

Similar elephant parades have taken place in Antwerp, Amsterdam, London and Emmen.
After Copenhagen there will be similar exhibitions in Milan, Singapore, Istanbul and New York.

Prince Henrik visited as a patron, National Association of Polio, Traffic and Accident Victims.
January 28, 2011

PPE Agency

It is, dazzling, maybe the google translation made a mistake or it's been later
that evening, who knows..;)

Here's an article about Prince Henrik's involvement in the association for people
suffering from polio. Looks like he recently made a visit concerning that, there
was a book presentation. But the translation once more isn't that good.

** Prins Henrik støttede polioramte ** translation **

Billed-Bladet - Margrethe til BILLED-BLADET: Mary har fået sin gave

Queen Margrethe in Bahrain assures that the Princess has received a birthday gift.

I have not called the Crown Princess today, although it is her birthday, but we delivered a gift before we went to Bahrain, told the Queen, as she and Prince Henry today, Saturday, ended their three-day official visit to Bahrain with a news conference.

Both the Queen and Prince Henrik was in Hopla, and when Prince Henry was asked what he thought about the local custom of having four wives, he replied:

- It might not be so crazy, but I am probably too late.

After a hectic day with visits to GPIC, which produces ammonia and methanol, and device manufactured by Haldor Topsoe, Prince Henry was relaxing, while the queen went for a walk in the local souk, the bazaar, where she bought beautiful fabrics and spices to take home.

Did anyone else notice Fodselaren Birthe Bruun Rasmussen wore the same dress to the party Jan 1 and Jan 7? I believe in recycling wardrobes like the next girl, but 6 days apart?

I know, I'm being katty. Bad girl, Duchess.

Excerpts from article in Billed Bladet #06, 2011.
En oase af kærlighed - An oasis of love.
Written by our reporter in Bahrain Annelise Weimann.

Billed Bladet will come up with an extensive coverage of the official visit in the next issue, so this week I'll focus on the pressmeeting. Which is interesting as is shows how QMII is able to dodge potentially controversial issues. - Issues, that is, for those who are looking for issues...

The pressmeeting took place on Mary's birthday.

Q: Have you phoned home to the Crown Princess and congratulated her?
- "Actually, I must admit I haven't. But we did leave presents for her before we went to Bahrain".

Q: Have you been in contact with the CP familiy and heard how the twins are doing?
- "Well, we've just been away for three or four days and the children are after all only a month old. They'll probably do fine without us calling".

Q: But surely a lot of things can happen in three or four days with children that young?
- "There sure can, but no. I don't call home to inquire about the twins. I've never done that with my grandchildren".

Q: So you are not a hen-grandmother, who call home all the time?
- "I may be a hen, but not in that way".

Q: What do you think of Bahrain, Queen Margrethe?
- "The first thing that catch the eye is a developed city with high rise building and a developed roadsystem. At the same time it is for me incredibly exciting to go somewhere where the past is just below the surface of the ground and which at the same time is so immensely old and so very unusual. (*) And the fact that Danish archaeologists (**) have taken part in the excavations for several years, I think is very amusing. (***) I feel pride on behalf of Danish archeologists. They were genuine pioneers here in Bahrain. At the same time I believe it plays a big role for the country to know it has so deep roots".

Q: Do you yet again feel a desire to get involved with archeology and take part in the excavations yourself? (****)
- "The problem with taking part in excavations is that you do absolutely no good at all, if you only take part for two or three days. Then you are either in on it, or in the way. I prefer to stay out of the way".

In Bahrain, the King and his family control most of the executive power, which is of course different from DK and to that QMII said:
- "I think Bahrain is a less closed country than certain other countries and it is my impression that they seek to have a level of democracy, which certain other countries certainly don't have in a similar manner. I believe the King is an extremely responsible man, who is trying to avoid his country getting in serious troubles. I also believe it's an advantage for Bahrain not to have too much of an oil-economy. Everyone really has to work in order to keep the wheels turning. You can't just lean back and let the pumps do the job, like in certain other places".

Q: How do you view/think of the role of women in Bahrain?
- "I think it's pretty open. Women can vote and (they) can be elected for the Parliament and many women work and have a distinguished career. It's not a closed society, compared to other parts of the world".

During the visit QMII was invited to lunch with the King's First Wife, Princess Sabeeka, who live with 75 other women in a palace where men are rarely allowed to enter.

Q: How was the mood at this womens-meeting you attended?
- "You know what, that wasn't a womens-meeting. It was a lunch - for ladies. That sort of things still exists". (*****)

Q: How did you experience it?
- "It was pleasant and easy, because it was very informal. The mood was very free. I spoke with many of the ladies and they all spoke excellent English. So it was very easy to talk. They knew something and they had something to say. It was certainly not a chirp-chirp-ladies-lunch".

- More about Bahrain next week.

(*) Traces of an almost unknown civillisation are being unearthed in that part of the Arabian peninsula these years.

(**) The involvement of Danish explorers and now archaeolgists working in this part of the world goes back to the 1700's.

(***) Morsomt or pudsigt = amusing, is a typical expression for QMII. Comparable to "fantastic" among younger members of the DRF.

(****) QMII has more than once stated that if she wasn't a queen , she would have become an archeologist. She also took part in excavations in Egypt when she was young. - That fact was mentioned in a popular song from that period: Det er ikke til at se, hvis man ikke lige ved det. - Ask fasterB for more details. :)

(*****) Another wonderful retort from QMII :lol:
I'd say that at any given pressmeeting QMII supply half the combined brain capacity.

Last edited:
Summary of articles in Billed Bladet #6 & 7.
All written by Annelise Weimann.

As you may know, the political situation in Bahrain has become very dramatic within the past few days.
Bahrain became a monarchy eight years ago, with King Hamad as the head of state and his uncle, Khalifa, as Prime Minister. It appears the current anger is mostly directed at the PM.
The royal family is Sunni, while the majority of the population are Shia Muslims.
The royal family as well as the Sunnis in general are those who control the most important offices.
To complicate things even further, there is a huge US base in Bahrain a well.

Anyway, QMII and PH went on at official visit (*) there and it was a pretty standard visit, lasting a few days. QMII was recieved at a pretty magnificently adorned palace by King Hamad.
An honor guard from various units was lined up and was inspected by QMII and King Hamad. QMII stopped and bowed her head in front of the colour of each unit, something that is apparantly not used in Bahrain, but which was appreciated by the hosts.

QMII and PH also met members of the government as well as members of both chambers of the Parliament.
Women are certainly not an unusual sight in holding offices in Bahrain.

Orders were exchanged. ing Hamad recieved the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog and QMII recieved King Hamas Al Nahda's Order, while Prince Henrik recieved the Order of Bahrain, First Class.

After the initial formalities it was time for the visit to all sorts of cultural sights, this being very much a promotional tour for DK, or a goodwill tour if you will. A number of major Danish businesses have considerable activities in Bahrain.
That included a visit to GPIC, where a slightly surprised Prince Henrik was presented with a boquet of flowers, as was QMII. PH quietly handed his bouquet on to his adjutant. (**)
At the visit to the national Museum the Regent Couple were presented with a hand carved camel, a rocking-camel for the grandchildren.
PH went to a horse race. An endurance race going on for more than 120 kilometers, something that interested PH a lot.
King Hamad has four wives and QMII went to a lunch with the First Wife, Princess Sabeeka in a palace for women, a lunch for ladies, as QMII later put it.

Now, it wasn't all work. QMII, who was visibly delighted and completely lost to the rest of the world visited the 4.000 year old ruins of the old capital of Bahrain (***) and the just as old Barbar Temple.
The ruins may have been the location of Paradise as described in the Bible.
These remains of an old culture, known as Dilmun, were actually discovered by a Danish Archeologist in 1954, more or less by chance. He, P.V. Glob discovered he had set up camp on top of the old old capital, which until then had been assumed were tombs placed there by neighbouring cultures.
QMII said: "I feel a great pride on behalf of the Danish archeologists. I think they have had a very big significanse indeed here. It's important what they have discovered and done and it's wonderful pioneering work".
Q: Have you ever met professor Glob?
QMII: "Yes, indeed. He was a very well-known man within the profession. But I've never studied under him, because he became rigsanitikvar (****) the same year I began to study archeology at Aarhus University".

QMII also visited two 4.000 year old royal tombs, which fascinated her.

(*) Not a state visit.

(**) Interestingly, their adjutants were local. I've never seen that before and I don't understand why the Regent Couple were not accompanied by Danish adjutants.

(***) In recent years a number of archeological excavations at this part of the Arabian Peninsula have unearthed a number of pretty sofisticated cultures.
It's interesting to speculate as to whether these cultures were established as a result of the much more benign climate there, which was the result of the Ice Age. And when that ended, it did after all take some time before the climate changed radically and the water level rose enough for these cultures to end.
It would be interesting to learn what can be discovered under the seabed in the Persian Gulf.

(****) Archivist of the Realm. Not the lowest office you can have!

As a follow up on the Bahrain visit:

The government, mainly the Foreign Minister, Lene Espersen, are getting some heat in Parliament for the, shall we say, bad timing of the official visit of the Regent Couple to Bahrain.
In view of the heavy handed approach of the government of Bahrain towards demonstrators, the Danish government has renounced the methods used by the government in dealing with the opposition. Thus putting the Regent Couple in an akward position. Not least since QMII at the press meeting praised King Hamad for being in touch with the people - and presenting him with the Grand Cross of the Order of Danneborg.
Thus embarrassing QMII.

The Foreign Minister is being criticised for being caught with their pants down, bad timing and for giving poor advise to the Regent Couple.
Lene Espersen, who was recently ousted as part chairman of the Conservatives, thereby continues a long track record of unfortunate dispositions.

Okay, in all fairness, what is going on in the Middle East right now is probably a surprise to many more than just the Danish Foreign Ministry. And the methods used by the government of Bahrain were perhaps also difficult to predict.
It's after all not the first time the Regent Couple has been involved in turmoil when visiting the Middle East. When they visited Egypt many years ago, the Regent Couple was basically evacuated home in a hurry due to sudden unrest. Unfortunately QMII tripped when she was boarding the plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom