Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 3: August 2010 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Frederik admittedly looked more cool with a falcon on his arm than he perhaps would have, had the bird sat on his head. :angel:
.......... :shock: :p (Use your imagination, that's an albino falcon).

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #41, 2012.
Henrik i hopla - Henrik in high spirit.
Written by culture-reporter Henrik Salling.

The Regent Couple opened a Chinese exhibition at the very appropriate renaissance castle Frederiksborg Castle. The flower-children were dressed up in full regalia as little Chinese emperors and that's what the exhibition was about, Emperor Gong.
That also included the emperor's bed. The photographers present politely requested Prince Henrik for a picture of the Regent Couple in front of the bed. (*)
Prince Henrik pondered for a moment and then retorted with a big smile: "Shall I invite the Queen to bed"?
QMII didn't hear anything, or chose not to hear anything, she was busy studying the many artifacts.
Prince Henrik also showed off a bit by speaking Chinese. (**)

(*) They know perfectly well who to ask. Such a request to QMII is likely to fall on deaf ears....

(**) He picked that up in Vietnam, so I wonder if it's a bit archaic now?

Last edited:
He 'picked up' Chinese at the ecole nationale des langues orientales in Paris so that his Chinese would be of a scholarly calbre, but probably not archaic. As a good businessman, he is no doubt busy selling his wines to China!:cool: I do like Prince Henrik's sense of humour!:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I see, thanks for the info, Gerry. I didn't know that. :)

I see, thanks for the info, Gerry. I didn't know that. :)

A very interesting man, your prince Henrik. I am not sure whether 'langues orientales' counts as a 'grande ecole' in France, other readers might know better, but I believe even your prime minister Helle Thorning (correct spelling?) referred to the prince's scholarship and cultural literacy that are both very typical of academically trained French. His obvious sense of humour-and, dare I say, theatricality-only adds to his charm. Indeed, a larger than life person:):flowers:

:previous: Indeed.

There are times when I want to knock him on the head and times when have a good chuckle.
At least he dare being himself and that's not a bad thing.

Having observed Prince Henrik from afar for a number of years, I quite like him. He appears to me to be a lovable character and has done a great job supporting the Queen and has managed to project a Little of his quirky sense of humour and just being himself. Hope someone can post some photos of this Chinese exhibit. Would love to see it.

Billed-Bladet - Dronningen græd

Billed Bladet has a story I object to.

QMII attended the funeral of one of her former LiW's, Anita Garth-Grüner, and in that context QMII was saddened and wept openly.

I don't like that sort of pictures!
Even if the press is in place and even if you cry going to your car or wherever, you should not be subjected to having your grief displayed on a frontpage.

If people pose for the press, while showing their grief, fair enough. But if you attend a funeral and you are in mourning, then surely some distance should be maintained. - Show some respect, please.

- I know, by posting this link I'm guilty of doing myself what I object to. That's the annoying thing about debate and information.

Last edited:
I'm with you! Very tacky of them. Extremely disrespectful.

As mentioned above QMII attended a funeral of her former LiW and close friend, Anita Garth-Grüner, who died at the age of 75 from complications caused by cancer.
Present were a very moved QMII and a little more composed Benedikte, representing the DRF.

As mentioned above there are a couple of pictures of QMII crying.

- I will repeat that I find such close-ups very intrusive considering the occasion. Taking a picture of the whole congregation from a distance must suffice.

I have a question for Danish posters. Is there no Danish protocol for the wearing and placement of stars of orders on a gentlemans uniform?
Let me explain what I mean. In the UK a gentleman wears no more than 4 order stars, and always on the left side of his uniform. one at the top, 2 in the middle and one at the bottom, in a sort of diamond pattern. Also foreign orders are only worn when visiting the country that granted the order or when receiving a visitor from that country. Frederik and Joachim seem to follow a similar protocol, wearing the Elephant above the Dannebrog on the left hand side of their uniforms, and not wearing foreign orders except when events call for them.
Prince Henrik seems to just plunk his order stars on his uniforms in a rather slap dash manner and can look like a pin cushion, especially since he has become so stout. He also seems to wear the French Legion of Honour on a regular basis even though he is a Danish prince.

Thanks.

And we have a picture from the unveiling: Et tonstungt tillykke til dronningen

And not bad. Not bad at all.

I once saw a sculpture at a firm I worked in long ago. It was cube shaped piece of granite 0.75 metres on all sides sitting on 50 or so rusty rebars in a square goldfish pond only a little larger.
No matter from what angle I looked at the sculpture, while resting on my hairy knuckles, it still looked like a granite stone that had been placed on rusty rebars. :ermm:

These new sculptures I can at least relate to.

stiften.dk

And at long last the local newspaper, Aarhus Stiftstidende, has some more about the lions.
QMII was pretty delighted and she looked forward to her grandchildren playing on the lions.

:previous: She sure did.

From Jyllands Posten: Dronningen åbnede Arktisk Kommando

From DR1: http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland/2012/10/31/1031194159.htm

Because Denmark, on behalf of Greenland, has laid claim to the North Pole, there is a considerable military presence in and around Greenland.
There is also a growing co-operation with Canada in patroling the arctic territories and in mutual assistance in regards to search and rescue and medical emergency. - Relatively speaking the distance between some arctic Canadian settlements and the major hospitals in the cities in the south is longer than to hospitals in Greenland.

So the Danish military assets in the artic have now been placed under one HQ, Artic Command. Which is located in the capital town of Greenland, Nuuk.
To emphasize the importance, politically and diplomatic, the HQ is under the command of a major general, no less!

Last edited:

Yesterday, October 31, Prince Henrik attended a meeting with the committee of the Prince Henrik Medal of Honour at Eigtveds Pakhus in Copenhagen.

** ppe gallery **

Today HM the Queen attended the ordination of diocese of Funen bishop elect Tine Lindhardt in Odense Cathedral. I was present and from my seat I managed to see HM at close range when passing. HM was dressed in a smart wintry white coat and looked well.
From the website of TV2.fyn
38994_590_0_0_0_640_359_2.jpg

viv

Last edited:
:previous:the pictures, his outfit, just made my day :eek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can't help but feel a warm glow for this amusing man. He doesn't mind showing he will wear whatever he likes. I like him for it, a colourful jolly fellow with a big heart.

The court has confirmed that Prince Henrik's dachshund, Vega, is dead near the town of Nødebo. Kongelig hund trafikdræbt | Kriminalmagasinet Politirapporten.nu

Vega ran away Saturday evening, was run over by a car and killed.
It was a woman out for a stroll who found the dog. Attached to the collar was a phone number and she could inform about the find.
Shortly after someone came from the court, wrapped the dog in a blanket with QMII's monogram and drove away to Fredensborg.

Prince Henrik was very much attached to his dogs.
Another dachshund, Evita, died this summer.

Last edited:
so sorry to hear about the Prince Consort's dog. A former dachshund owner myself, I know how charming but ultimately reckless and free spirited these dogs are, so Vega's death was probably not unexpected at Fredensborg. small consolation, but at least the end was quick.:sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only that, but at least HRH and HM knows Vega's fate and can say good bye. I never got that chance w/my first cat Tom. He went out one night and never came home again.

So whenever I hear something like this, I'm always grateful the owner of the pet in question has been able to find them and in turn know what happened. Even though it's the worst of all the outcomes. :(

:previous: Yes, that must be some sort a consolation.

I believe another of the Regent Couple's dogs also ran away some years back. And as far as I know it was never found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom