Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 3: August 2010 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially when you are lightly obese you should not wear a red shirt that emphasizes your belly

I like the hat!

Last edited:
I wonder if they are hoping HM will purchase something from one of the designers. I have already spied one I would like Mary to wear. We harvest some wonderful pearls here in the west of our country in Broome, and I had hoped one of the companies over there would have gifted Mary with a nice set at her wedding. But it doesn't appear so.

The pearl jewelry pieces featured in this exhibition look stunning.
Very artistic and attractive.
What better place to have such a display than the homeland of The Little Mermaid!

Excepts from an interview in Billed Bladet #10, 2012.
Det er ren ferie - It's pure holiday.
Interviewer: Annelise Weimann.

Who caught up with QMII on her annual skiing holiday in Norway.
Wearing the same outfit since the Bronze Age, an obviously delighted QMII was accompanied by two friends, Eleonore and Valentin Sibbern, a LiW, a PET officer and an officer from the Norwegian security police.

QMII is sking near Skeikampen, where she is always skiing, using the same lanes as always do, when she is not having a cosy time in the cottage. Hills and stuff is not for QMII! She prefers level stretches.

Q: Do you have to work sometimes while you are here?
QMII: "No, it's pure holiday when I'm in Norway. But that doesn't mean that there aren't things you would like to have done".

Q: You are not disturbed from home?
QMII: "Not at all. Whether the Crown Prince or Prince Joachim is Regent or Rigsforstander, I'm really on holiday".

Q: Do you still find new routes when you are out skiing?
QMII: "No, it's usually the same routes as previously. I don't go the long trips anymore, as I did once. In that way it s of course a bit limited in regards to what you can throw yourself into.
We go for trips at five, six kilometers, so that's getting modest".

Q: Would you like to take your children and grandchildren up here on a skiing holiday?
QMII: "I don't think I'm suited for that. The adults in the family predominantly ski in the hills and so do the children. And I don't do that at all, at all. So no, a communal skiing holiday for the family is not something I believe will happen".

Prince Friso is also a topic and QMII says: "It's dreadful what happened. It's a terrible tragedy. It doesn't look good. It's so tragic for the whole family, I think. You can only hope for,... no, I don't even know what to hope for now".

Q: Do you think about the danger for avalanches when you are out skiing?
QMII: "I do know the terrain and know what you don't do and we are not even getting near any menacing places. You don't talk so much about avalanches here in Norway, you talk about slides and there isn't any big danger of a slide.
But it's obvious that what happened in Austra with Prince Johan Friso can happen everywhere. But usually it isn't something I think about. Because if you know where there is a danger of slides, you find somewhere else to go skiing. But it's really dreadful what happened".

Q: Do you think about the danger of avalanches, when your sons go south to ski?
QMII: "Well, I count on them keeping their heads on also when skiing and (that they) don't do stupid things. They've got enough routine to know that routine isn't enough".

Q: Your sons have become older and perhaps more mature?
QMII: "They have, but they have the same age as Johan Friso. Yes, he has almost the exact same age as my sons".

Q: Do you know him?
QMII: "Not frightfully well, but I do know the whole family and I know exactly how old they are. The oldest is born the year before my boys, and then the three Dutch Princes come, like one two three. (*) Ours are born almost at the same time, so they are basically of similar age all of them".

Q: One of the really big events in the DRF this year was your 40th regency anniversay. How do you think that went?
QMII: "They were fantastic days. I was really enthralled/fascinated that some many people bothered to go out on the streets on a winters day. We were fortunate with the weather however and that helps. But I must say that I had never imagined that so many people would come, nor on the palace square either".

Q: For once all three balconies were in use?
QMII: "We were simply too many in order to be able to stand on one balcony. So we thought it would be more practical to split it up, so that the young stood to one side and my sisters and their husbands on the other and the Prince Consort and I in the middle. That was the most sensible division".

About Victoria and Daniel QMII said: "I've cabled the SRF and congratulated with the little Princess. It's lovely for them, really lovely.
But I haven't seen her yeat, I have only seen the pictures in the papers".

Q: When Estelle will become queen one day, there will also be a queen in Norway, Holland, Belgium and Spain".
QMII: "Yes, it's crawling, it's peculiar, but that's how it is. But for the moment we are three Queens, so it isn't that odd. You can get used to a lot of things". (**)

(*) Fantastic! I shall never ever be able to comprehend how women know how old people are. It's a computing system that is completely alien to men.
I'm often in doubt about my own age, not to mention how old my family are. But Mrs. Muhler know all these details by heart. If I have to figure out how old people are, I need to know the year whoever was born and then calculate the age.
Mrs. Muhler figure that out within seven nanoseconds! Using incongreous reference points like the year after cousin so and so's anniversary, her mother's age minus seven years. And I just sit there: Yeah okay.

(**) That's a typical QMII retort. :lol:

Last edited:
Thank you for this Muhler. I expect after her knee operations Her Majesty doesn't push herself too much physically.

Last edited:
I not like her outfit :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Henrik is looking especially vital and good in this video to me, I appreciate you posting it!

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Yes, the frigate Jylland (Jutland) is absolutely worth a visit for those interested in maritime history. Danish steam frigate Jylland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She is a hybrid, in the sense she is propelled by steam (screw) as well as sails.
We often forget in our fast developing world, how fast things changed in the second half of the 1800's. The transition from purely sail powered capital warships to purely steam powered took less than 30 years. - A fantastic technological leap!
Technologically speaking the Danish navy has always been among the leaders. This frigate is no exception.
To even call her a frigate is somewhat misleading. The best modern comparison would be battlecruiser. I.e. a heavily armed fast ship.
She was inspired by the technological revolution started by USA in the napoleonic wars, with very large, fast and heavily armed frigates. (In modern terms we would call them cruisers) who were more than a match for even the larger ships of the line which were the standard of that time.

Well, in Jyllands case they simply fitted her with a steam engine. But as steam engines were notoriously prone to breaking down and because they run on coal, which take up storage space, sails were maintained as the primary mode of sailing. - And because many sailors and captains were reluctant to have an ugly smokestack protruding from the middle of their beautiful ship. So the steam engine was primarily used when getting in and out of harbours. Then the smoke stack was lowered so that Jylland could look like a decent ship.

Jylland was the flagship of the Danish navy and as the king is the commander in chief, specific quarters were fitted for the use of the king and his closest family. The problem was that Jylland as a warship was inadequate for the purpose of a royal yacht, so a paddlesteamer, the first Dannebrog, was build for that purpose.

Back to Jylland. She was a said before a hybrid and that is also reflected in her armament, which is a mixture of heavy muzzle loaders and hyper modern rifled breech loaders (from Armstrong). Another novelty was the dispension of the quarter deck. Instead officers stood on a bridge spanning across the deck. From here they had a very clear, albeit exposed, view. Hence the term "bridge".

Jylland saw action once in the Second Schleswigan War in 1864, where she encountered and checked a combined Austrian and Preussian flotilla. Thus preventing enemy ships from entering Danish waters and influence the war on land.

Life onboard wasn't that much different from other Danish warships of the era. She was usually refitted in early spring and sailed throughout the summer months until late autumn, where she returned to the yard.
There were goats, pigs and chicken onboard, usually around the stove on the gun deck.
The sailors working in the rigging, were professionel, agile young men and as far as possible they stayed up there. Even sleeping in their hammocks suspended from the yardarms if the weather was just reasonably good. - No need to go down on the deck only to get up there again, is there? And the NCO's were down on the deck as well, another good reason to stay aloft.
If they had to, ahem, "wash their hands", they simply walked out to the end of the yardarm and did their business there.
Eveybody else, except the captain and the officers used the head at bow of the ship. The head consited of two seats with three holes. Ordinary sailors to the left of the bowspit and NCO's and boys to the right. That was to protect the boys from listening to the lewd remarks from the sailors.

Alas, Jylland soon became old fashioned and she was replaced by modern steel ships, driven only be steam. One of them, Rolf Krake, a battleship/artillery cruiser had the first large electrical plant in Denmark. - Cutting edge technology.
Jylland was decommissioned, her rigging was removed and the most modern artillery pieces were also removed. Her deck was covered by a plank roof and she was used for all sorts of purposes. Reduced to a mere hulk.
She suffered that indignity for almost a hundred years, until in the late 1960's it was decided to restore her to former glory. A she was in pretty poor condition that took a lot of work and Prince Henrik took a keen interest in that.
Now she is almost fully restored, fulfillling many a wet dream for the carpenters working on her. A part of her rigging still need some work.

So should you ever come to eastern Jutland, drop by the frigate Jylland and enjoy her. Also because an old lightship is moored next to her. And the town of Ebeltoft, where she is moored is also worth a visit. You would litterally be stepping back 150 years. - Except for the lack of horsedung on the cobbled stones and the hefty prices!
As such ship and town match in time.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Muhler. Very interesting.

My pleasure, Tarlita. :)

I have visited the frigate quite a number of times and I still find it endlessly fascinating even though there is not a drop of sailor in me.

Yesterday evening, April 10, Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik attended the Fakkeltog, the annual
torchlight procession at Fredensborg Palace that welcomes the Regent Couple back to their summer
residence.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** sn.dk gallery ** sn.dk gallery 2 **

Thanks for posting, iceflower.

It is lovely for QM & PH to be welcomed this way each year.

Yes, thank you for the pictures Iceflower :) - it's a very nice tradition - Fredensborg's way of welcoming the royal couple for the summer season.

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik at the opening of the renovated Marble Room at Rosenborg Castle
yesterday, April 16, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Nice official pics. :)

Summary of two articles in Billed Bladet #16, 2012.
Written by Marianne Singer and Ulrik Ulriksen.

Prince Henrik has been attending various cultural events recently.
First a tennis match with Caroline Wozniacki, regrettable she lost.
Prince Henrik said to our reporter: "She plays well and I've supported her in the old days. I gave her a small grant from my foundation and that sure has paid off, you can say. She's a very skilled player".
Prince Henrik is, well, has been a keen tennis player.

An entertainment trio called Linie 3 (after a bus line, I believe) had a premiere of their latest show.
Line 3 consists of three gentlemen, Anders Bircow, Thomas Eje and Preben Christensen. And they have periodically launched a show, for 30 or so years now and they are somewhat of an institution in their own right here in DK.
Everyone worth mentioning in Copenhagen attended this premiere, among them Prince Henrik, who is a friend of Preben Christensen.
Preben Christensen is the spouse of Mary's hairdresser Søren Hedegaard and as such he is also a friend of Mary and Frederik.
At the end of each show Preben Christensen always make a stellar parody of QMII. This time "she" told the audience that she has a new hobby, composing party songs as well as telling the audience that majesties don't have iPhones, they have WePhones (royal plural), leading Prince Henrik to completely cracking up with laughter. He also visited the trio back stage.
Queen Ingrid also enjoyed the parodies and during a visit back stage she asked Preben Christensen: "Now, you are going to do a parody of my daughter, aren't you"?

Countess Alexandra with her unshaven Martin were also there and backstage and she chatted with Prince Henrik during the intermission. She was enthusiatic as well.

Now, there are basically two actors in DK who traditionally imitate QMII, one is Ulf Piilgaard, who nails her looks and gestures, the other is Preben Christensen who nails her voice and expressions, he use a lot of wordplay in his imitations.

Linie 3 Rundrejsen 2001 - Dronningen - YouTube

And a somewhat tipsy QMII aka Ulf Pilgaard after "her" 70th birthday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1bRwb10TwE&feature=related

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #16, 2012.

An Else Jensen would like to know why QMII never drives a car. Does she even have a drivers licence?

Jon Bloch Skipper explains that she does have a drivers licence but that she hasn't been driving herself for many years. One such time was in 1966, when she picked up her Henri from the airport.

QMII said herself some years ago: "You would not die from my cooking, but I'm not so sure you would survive my driving. I can't cook and I shouldn't and I shouldn't drive a car either. I'm not good at it. I have a drivers licence but it's so long ago that I need a refresher course, if I'm to sit by the steering wheel".

Nice official pics. :)

Summary of two articles in Billed Bladet #16, 2012.
Written by Marianne Singer and Ulrik Ulriksen.

Prince Henrik has been attending various cultural events recently. (..)
This tipsy QMII is WONDERFUL! even without understanding the Danish, which is tragic, the actor has a fabulous gift for mime! The prince consort figure is a bonus, tremendous fun! Thank you for posting:flowers:

Was there a bit of photo shopping done to flatten the royal Prince Henrik stomach?

Was there a bit of photo shopping done to flatten the royal Prince Henrik stomach?

Don't think so.
More a question of "flattering" angles.
Prince Henrik is simply like wine, more full and rounder by the age. :p

You are welcome, Gerry :)

The expression: "Fyyy, Margrethe = shame om you, Margrethe" has become Ulf Pilgaards trademark in his impersonations, when he has delivered a particularly pointy remark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom