Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 2: January 2007 - August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics 11.7.2009

Queen Margrethe of Denmark attended the launch of the exhibition
of Textile Art of the Year, which shows the Queens own art Coastal
Landscapes, at the Martha Maas-Fjetterstrom weaving studios,
July 11, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** belga **

Is the rug that Queen Margrethe has in her hands, made by the Queen herself? I know that she is very artistic and quite talented. Do you know if the Queen gave it to the exhibition for permanent display?

Pics 15.7.2009

Queen Magrethe answers questions during a press conference in the
Pantomime Theater at the Tivoli amusement park, in Copenhagen,
Denmark, 15 July 2009 after the dress rehearsal of the ballet The
Swineherd based on a fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen.

Queen Margrethe has designed the scenography and the costumes
of the ballet which plays until September with dancers from the US,
England, France, Spain, Portugal, Finland, Norway and Denmark. The
Swineherd is the fourth ballet at the Pantomime Theater since 2001
with the queen as scenographer.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Here's an article about the ballet "Swineherd". It talks about the costumes and scenery that Queen Margrethe has designed.

http://www.bt.dk/royale/dronningen-bag-ny-forestilling

She worked closely with the choreographer and the production crew when she was designing the costumes and scenery. The musical arranger for the ballet said that the Queen is on equal footing with everyone else on the crew. He said that one often forgot that it was the Queen they were talking with. They all saw her as another team member.

There will be a jewelry exhibition at Amalienborg Museum on August 15 featuring some of Queen Margrethe's jewelry from her private collection. The exhibition honors the work of jewelry company A. Michelsen. This company has been a favorite of the Danish royals through the years. There will also be rare jewelry featured that belongs to other collectors. One of the highlights is a daisy brooch that was created in honor of the Queen's birth (Daisy is the name that close friends and family call the Queen).

Kronet sølv på Amalienborgmuseet - Alt om København - AOK

Queen Margrethe attended a wedding in Germany today:

Queen Margarethe of Denmark pictured after the wedding ceremony
of Lena (born Giese) and Christian Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe, at
Gluecksburg Castle in Gluecksburg near Hamburg, Germany, 25 July

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Who are they? Are they related to the Queen?

Yes, they are related.
Prince Christian's father, Prince Wilhelm of Schaumburg-Lippe is Queen Margrethe's cousin.

Prince Wilhelm is the great-grandson of King Frederick VIII of Denmark. He is not in the line of succession to the Danish Throne (as he is not descended from Christian X), however both he and his children are in the line of succession to the British Throne as descendants of George II of the UK through Princess Louise (Queen Louise of Norway and Denmark).

Yes, they are related.
Prince Christian's father, Prince Wilhelm of Schaumburg-Lippe is Queen Margrethe's cousin.

Prince Wilhelm is the great-grandson of King Frederick VIII of Denmark. He is not in the line of succession to the Danish Throne (as he is not descended from Christian X), however both he and his children are in the line of succession to the British Throne as descendants of George II of the UK through Princess Louise (Queen Louise of Norway and Denmark).

He is twice descending from King Frederik VIII. as both his paternal great-grandmothar and gramndmother where danish Princesses

through his great-grandmother

King Frederik VIII. - Princess Louise - Prince Chrstian of Schaumburg-Lippe - Prince Wilhelm of Schaumburg.Lippe - Prince Chrstian of Schaumburg-Lippe

through his grandmother
King Frederik VIII. - Prince Harald - Princess Feodora - Prince Wilhelm of Schaumburg-Lippe - Prince Christian of Schaumburg-Lippe

:previous:
That is correct: Prince Christian of Schaumburg-Lippe (the son of Princess Louise of Denmark, who was the younger sister of King Christian X, and Prince Frederick of Schaumburg-Lippe) married his first cousin, Princess Feodora of Denmark (daughter of Prince Harald of Denmark and Princess Helena Adelaide of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg) in 1937: both were King Frederick's grandchildren.
Prince Wilhelm of Schaumburg-Lippe is their eldest son.

Queen Margrethe appears to be rather close to members of her extended family.

Last edited:
Prince Henrik cuts short engagement!

Earlier today Prince Henrik disappointed his hosts of the Aabenraa Rifle Club, by cutting short an engagement he had consented to a long time ago.

The Rifle Club is celebrating its 275th anniversary today, and honorary member Prince Henrik had agreed to join the parade, the lunch and a shooting afterwards. A total of four hours.

Shortly before his arrival Prince Henrik advised that he would have to cut short his visit, as he had "no time to stay for lunch." He stayed for half an hour!

It goes without saying that the chairman of the Rifle Club was extremely disappointed; in fact he did not even try to hide it!

I am also disappointed{Comments edited}. He wasn't ill, there is no excuse. This happened in one of the most DRF loyal places in the Kingdom of Denmark. :bang:

Source: Danish daily Jyllandsposten, and TV -South.

Viv

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure Henrik had a good reason to cut the engagement. He left his grandsons christening early yesterday aswell, so there might be something up with His Royal Highness. :)

Hope he's not ill and needs to watch his activities...or how long they take.

Maybe he's just tired from all of the activity yesterday. He was also the first guest to leave the christening party.

Here's the article that talks about him leaving the party yesterday:
Prins Henrik tog tidligt hjem - Royale - BT.dk

He is 75 years old, and maybe it is difficult for him to keep such an active schedule.

Cutting short an engagement wouldn't necessarily be odd in itself, nor would leaving the christening earlier than everyone else, but Henrik cutting the engagement, Henrik being the first to leave the christening of a grandchild named after him, AND Margrethe cancelling the press conference all add up to something being weird somewhere.

I think this is strange and odd behaviour. Cutting short an engagement and missing the Luncheon was very rude and offensive to the people who had surely put a lot of time and effort into organising the engagement

I think we shouldn’t rush to make judgements until we have more information.
There may be a lot of reasons behind Prince Henrik's actions, and knowing him, they must be serious ones too: it is not common for the Prince to cut short engagements, cancel interviews and especially leave christening ceremony of his grandchild soon (and he's a really doting grandfather to all his grandchildren).

I only hope that the reasons are not connected to any health issues.

There is something strange again in the Royal Court of Danemark.
If Prince Henrik consort was not feeling well at Prince Henrik's(easy) christening , he should have said immediately that he was not able to stay at the whole celebraton (4 hours) , but cutting short a celebration where he was the most important person and cancelling on the same day the Caix's annual interview is particular for the Danish house.
At Prince Willem Alexander, Crown Prince of the Nederlands's wedding , Prince Henrik was not there he was alone in Caix, because he did not agree his n° 3 place.
At Prince Frederick, Crown Prince of Danemark's wedding ,Alexandra and Joachim were smiling as usual and an few days later it was their divorce announcement.
In the Christening thread I spoke about Alexandra and Joachim's new life as a H.C. Andersen's fairy tale , now I change my mind concerning the Dane's royal smiles..

I have to agree with the other posters who said that cutting the engagement so short was a bit rude. If I had organised the event I would of course be disappointed that the Prince Consort had only made the most brief of appearances.

Can anyone tell me what press conference the Queen cancelled?

It's curious that Henrik chose to leave his engagement early
It certainly is!

:previous:
It also curious that HM has chosen to cancel the press conference. I hope that everything is ok with them both.

Danish royalty pundits are speculating that the regal couple don't want to risk any questions in the wake of the change of the succession law. Perhaps you remember, that the lead-up to the referendum triggered a hefty debate on the monarchy. It revealed that the support for the DRF is in decline. It's not serious- yet, but enough for them to be concerned!

I hope that other Danish posters offer their take on the cancellation!

Viv

I've moved a few posts on the news conference cancelled to the Queen Margrethe's Annual Press Conference & Holidays In Cahors thread

Thanks
Dazzling :flowers:

Thanks for the pics, queenofthelight :)

There were two queens attending the opening, the Queen of Bhutan,
Ashi Sangay Wangchuk Chods, also attended but I wasn't able to
find a pic of her. The new museum is a foundation of the pharmaceutical
entrepreneur Frederik Paulsen. His collection includes over 480 works by
Dutch, Scandinavian and German artists to the sea and coastline. The
first exhibition presents 250 paintings, for example by Emil Nolde, Max
Liebermann, Hendrik Willem Mesdag and Edvard Munch.

Queen Margrethe II attends with Foundation director Thorsten Sadowsky and Museum founder, Swedish Dr. Frederik Paulsen the inauguration of the West Coast Art Museum, in Alkersum, on Foehr island, Germany (31/07/2009).:)

Here is a video of QM at the museum

Prince Henrik took a visit to Sardinia a few days after the christening of his newest grandson, little Prince Henrik:
Ekstra Bladet - Prins Henriks fede ferie

The article says that the rest of his family stayed behind in Denmark during this visit. He was on a luxury boat when this photo was taken. There is no mention of where he stayed, or whom he was with during this vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom