The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Today the sarcophags for Queen margrethe and Prince Henrike qwhere presented. When the time comes they will be buried in it. The sarcophaghes will be be places in St. Birgitte's Chapel inside Roskilde Domkirke. the Chapel is next to the Glücksborg Chapel whre the sarcophages of King Christian IX. and Queen Louise, King Frederik VIII and Queen Lovia, King Christian X. and Queen Alexandrine are.
The sarcophages are designed by Bjorn Noorgaard who among others also made the tapestries who are hanging at the Riddersaal of Christansborg Castle.

Google Oversæt

Google Oversæt

Google Oversæt

Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Commoner

Even though this is probably a fairly standard procedure for royals, I really did not want to see that! Sure, it's important to be prepared for death, but I wish this could've been kept private. This way, for me, it feels like a funeral is just around the corner! Makes me uneasy and sad!

Old 02-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophilia View Post
Even though this is probably a fairly standard procedure for royals, I really did not want to see that! Sure, it's important to be prepared for death, but I wish this could've been kept private. This way, for me, it feels like a funeral is just around the corner! Makes me uneasy and sad!
Well, I am glad that thing seem to be well prepared. And the fact is that the sarcophagus takes about 6-7 years to make, so I don't think anyone expects their deaths to be an iminent threat...
Old 02-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Courtier

I agree that while it's probably the normal thing to do for royalty, it is a little morbid.

It takes 6-7 years to make a royal sarcophagus? What happens if a young royal dies unexpectedly - for instance, what if Fred or Mary dropped dead of an undetected brain tumor tomorrow? I'm assuming there's no sarcophagus ready for either of them.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Interesting to say the least.
Were Queen Ingrid and King Frederik IX not buried in Glücksborg Chapel?
And are any other royals buried in sarcophargus'?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
I agree that while it's probably the normal thing to do for royalty, it is a little morbid.

It takes 6-7 years to make a royal sarcophagus? What happens if a young royal dies unexpectedly - for instance, what if Fred or Mary dropped dead of an undetected brain tumor tomorrow? I'm assuming there's no sarcophagus ready for either of them.
Actually, some sarcophagus have only been completed after the persons have died. Apparently, the sarcophagus for Frederik IX was completed long after he was buried.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Interesting to say the least.
Were Queen Ingrid and King Frederik IX not buried in Glücksborg Chapel?
And are any other royals buried in sarcophargus'?
No both Queen Ingrid and King Frederik IX are buried outeside the Chathedral in Roskilde. As i remember it ther is made a huge shipanchor for the graveside of the King and Queen.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe View Post
No both Queen Ingrid and King Frederik IX are buried outeside the Chathedral in Roskilde. As i remember it ther is made a huge shipanchor for the graveside of the King and Queen.
The gracestone shows and anchor. But the Octagon was only build after the death of King Frederik IX. and was only ready in 1985. Before it was ready the coffin of the King was standing inside the Glücksborg Chapel.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:09 AM
Royal Highness

According to TV2 online news, a new portrait of Queen Margrethe has been revealed. The painter is Michael Kvium - Her er Kviums version af Margrethe - TV 2 Nyhederne
Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Heir Apparent

What order has the painter placed on Margrethe, UserDane? It looks like the Norwegian Order of St Olav. Or is it another Danish order that I'm not aware of?

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
According to TV2 online news, a new portrait of Queen Margrethe has been revealed. The painter is Michael Kvium - Her er Kviums version af Margrethe - TV 2 Nyhederne
Pictures via ANP

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/75/12048220.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3097/12048217.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8898/12048212.jpg
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8185/12048210.jpg
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5200/12048207.jpg
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5296/12048204.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6898/12048201.jpg
Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
What order has the painter placed on Margrethe, UserDane? It looks like the Norwegian Order of St Olav. Or is it another Danish order that I'm not aware of?
Ups, you got me there - I'm not very good at distinguishing orders I'm afraid.
I haven't found any information about it online. The only things I found was that the painter has chosen to depict the queen as a painter herself and that she is standing in the garden of Vallø Stift - of which the queen is a protector.

You can see Vallø Stift here - Vallø Stift - established in 1737, it was initially a non-profit organisation aiming at supporting unmarried noble women and work as a charitable organisation locally. Since 1976 when the terms of the trust were changed, it is solely a charitable organisation.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent

No problemo, sweetheart. And thank you for the added information regarding Vallø Stift.

Perhaps the order is a Commonwealth one? Maybe someone 'here' will be able to enlighten us both on the matter.

As always, thank you for posting

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post

Perish the thought. Anyways, I doubt they would get one, having not been sole regents. And at any case, it probably would happen later. This is not something for the funeral, but for the memory...
Old 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Courtier

I'm sorry to say this, but i don't like these portrait, i don't know why!!! maybe is the lack of smile, but it's weird....
Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Commoner

Antonieta, I agree. (Ha, I'm coming across as sooo negative in this thread, sorry, everyone!)
I'm not sure it's the lack of her smile, but rather the figure on the portrait lacks QM's "presence" or regality or so. Margrethe is every inch a Queen (The Queen), but here, it seems as if some woman had just played dress-up. Apart from that, I don't think that her face looks a lot like Margrethe's.
Ah well, I don't know too much about art and have no idea about the intention of the artist, but that's my opinion :)
I did very much enjoy this pic of QM: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6898/12048201.jpg
Thanks for posting it, dazzling!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Queen Margrethe is spending some skiing holidays in Norway,
according to the article she mainly enjoys cross-country skiing
in the Norwegian wilderness and stays at Gausdal not far from
Lillehammer.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** BB article: Dronning Margrethe er taget på skiferie **
Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Does she go yearly to Norway and does she have a place there?
Thanks for the pictures.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if she goes skiing to Norway annually, but there have often been pictures of Queen Margrethe and Queen Sonja doing country cross skiing trips in Norway together in the past. Too bad the Norwegian Queen is in Vancouver currently. Maybe we would have seen them together otherwise.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent

BZ-berlin.de is reporting, that Queen Margrethe has ordered her coffin.

Google Nachricht

I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Closed Thread

Tags
current events, henrik, margrethe, margrethe ii, prince henrik, queen margrethe