The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Gentry

Well some might say that he still hasn't learnt to speak Danish.
HRH Prince Henrik had a great advantage, he already spoke several languages when he had to learn Danish, and he has a very fine vocabulary, but still struggles somewhat with the pronunciation. This HM Queen Margrethe is largely her fault, as she continued to speak french with him in private, and thus became very good at speaking french. She has later admitted that it was a mistake because he really would have benefitted from having her help in learning the language. As to why he spoke french, I don't know one can only guess.. Perhaps because that gave him the opportunity to show that he had the total command of at least one language. :P Or maybe it was because so many of his relatives were present along with other francophone guests.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:23 PM
Serene Highness

I give her credit for not coloring her hair, but I think with her high forehead she might want to do a different style.

Yes, that is probably it, as everyone spoke for their relatives. How did they meet? What was his background?

Old 05-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Gentry

If memory serves they met in London, where he was attached to the french embassy. He was born a french count (the title is somewhat disputed) and grew up in French Indochina and France. He speaks several Asian languages and writes poetry. There is information about him on www.kongehuset.dk
Old 05-17-2004, 11:43 PM
Commoner

His Danish really isn't that bad, the speech he held at the wedding last friday was really good, and his Danish was better than it's reputation.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubbette@May 17th, 2004 - 8:54 am
And why did he speak in French at the wedding?
Perhaps because French is a common language amongst most of the European royals??
Old 05-18-2004, 02:44 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Perhaps because French is a common language amongst most of the European royals?? [/b]
I don't really think it is anymore. I think English is the predominant language when the royals meet, especially the younger royals. There just aren't that many francophone royals left. Certainly the Dutch,British,Swedish,Norwegian,Greek & Danish will prefer to speak English. (I'm talking of the younger generation)
Old 05-18-2004, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubbette@May 16th, 2004 - 8:54 pm
How hard was it for him to learn Danish compared to Mary? How much time did he take?
I think it was very hard for him, and still is. But his problem is mostly with the letters "r,æ,ø,å" it just doesn't sound danish the way he says them. The Crownprincess is getting better every time we hear her speak, so I think she will do great. But it is a difficult language. :P
Old 05-18-2004, 11:34 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Topsy-Turvy@May 17th, 2004 - 10:43 pm
His Danish really isn't that bad, the speech he held at the wedding last friday was really good, and his Danish was better than it's reputation.
That is true, he generally gets a lot of bad press in Denmark. Some of it is fair, some of it isn't.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Theilmann  Posted: May 18th, 2004 - 9:34 pm

he generally gets a lot of bad press in Denmark. Some of it is fair, some of it isn't.
For example, on what topics does he get a fair bad press, and on which is he saluted by the press ?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Yennie@May 9th, 2004 - 11:22 am
In danish its pronuced like "Maah-gree-the".
Its hard to show sounds in letters but something like that :P
It sounds different from the english Margareth...
Yes, this was how it sounded like in Australia when the wedding was televised as well. But I think the reporter was a DK or TV2 reporter and Australia just got their commentary.

It sounded nothing like "Margreth", but "maahgrethe" (with the "e" at the end sounded out).
Old 05-21-2004, 05:55 AM

maahr-gray-tuh
the r in the "maahr" part is barely pronounced. :flower:
Old 05-21-2004, 06:27 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetbrown@May 21st, 2004 - 4:55 am
maahr-gray-tuh
What????? In what language???? Not Danish that's for sure. Icelandic???
Old 05-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Commoner

Yes the whole Latin-approach to upbringing hasn't helped him. HRH Crown Prince Frederik really made it impossible for him to ever be popular when he told the truth in the "we never doubted your love"-speech. Funny how the Crown Prince has been able to deal so much better with a "strict" father than the Prince of Wales, who only really seemed to emancipate himself from Prince Philip at a very old age.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Topsy-Turvy@May 21st, 2004 - 9:57 am
Yes the whole Latin-approach to upbringing hasn't helped him. HRH Crown Prince Frederik really made it impossible for him to ever be popular when he told the truth in the "we never doubted your love"-speech.
Yeah, he was really screwed when that emerged.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by Topsy-Turvy@May 17th, 2004 - 10:43 pm
To be honest, I think he had been practising a lot on that speech
Old 05-22-2004, 02:19 AM

Quote:
To be honest, I think he had been practising a lot on that speech [/b]
I was hoping you wouldn't notice that.
"Det ær maj en stor glæde at byd velkommen til vænner fra næer og fjæern."

But hey, if practice makes perfect - just keep on practising. :zorro:
Old 05-22-2004, 02:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Theilmann  Posted: May 20th, 2004 - 7:50 am

fair that he got a bashing when he was whimpering about his role in the monarchy, and about how he was underappreachiated by the population.
I remember that incident .... curious about what the train of events was, to bring on that event?
Old 05-22-2004, 04:51 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@May 22nd, 2004 - 1:28 am
Quote:
Theilmann*  Posted: May 20th, 2004 - 7:50 am

fair that he got a bashing when he was whimpering about his role in the monarchy, and about how he was underappreachiated by the population.
I remember that incident .... curious about what the train of events was, to bring on that event?
Apparently he didn't like being reduced from being No. 2 to being No. 3 in the royal ceremonial procedures. He didn't like the fact that his son was more important than him, and therefore was ranked second only to HM the Queen. Prince Henrik had thought that he would remain No. 2 untill Crown Prince Frederik became King (If Prince Henrik was still alive by then). He spoke of his frustration in an interview, and the newspapers pounded on him immediately :hardhead: He then left the country and refused to come back for a couple of weeks. There is a bit of "the man who wanted to become " about him.)
Old 05-24-2004, 12:56 AM
Courtier

That whole "we never doubted your love" speech, what was it? I only got that Frederik said something about how his dad didn't spoil him or something. Does someone have that speech so we can all better understand why some of Denmark became so hostile to Henrik for it??? Please post!
~Kathleen
Old 05-24-2004, 07:17 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiffyBallerina@May 23rd, 2004 - 11:56 pm
That whole "we never doubted your love" speech, what was it? I only got that Frederik said something about how his dad didn't spoil him or something. Does someone have that speech so we can all better understand why some of Denmark became so hostile to Henrik for it??? Please post!
~Kathleen
I believe it was at the 25th wedding anniversary of the Queen and Prince Henrik, that was June 10th 1992. I don't know if the whole speech can be found anywhere, but the "important" part of it was when the CP said: "they say that you chastize those you love, and Papa we have never doubted your love". The word chastize may not be appropriate but I'm trying to translate "tugter" into English. In this case it has to do with physical punishment / beating children. This did nothing to improve Prince Henriks popularity.

Closed Thread

Tags
margrethe ii