Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 1: May 2003 - November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats hilarious. :D the chef seems to have overeacted to me, so what if they occasionally eat reheated leftovers who doesn't?

I actually dont find anything funny about it at all.

Mr Kondo obviously feels very strongly about his occupation and stands by what he thinks is right & appropriate.

I empathise with his decision.

"MII"

...something completely different from the royal chef..

According to the TV2 news online (http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/kongelig/article.php/4220425.html) QMII's knee replacement operation today went fine. The queen is expected to be released from hospital in a week's time and spend her recreation at Fredensborg Castle. Some of her planned engagements for the next month or two will be cancelled, others taken over by Prince Henrik og CP Frederik.

Here is my translation of the press release from the Royal Danish Court on Her Majesty The Queen's operation:

Her Majesty The Queen Has Undergone Surgery

Amalienborg, June 1st 2006

Her Majesty The Queen underwent surgery this morning on Thursday the 1st of June at the knee surgical sector, Orthopaedic-surgical ward E, Århus Hospital.

The operation was conducted by consultant Anders Odgaard, M.D., and an artificial knee joint was inserted. The operation was successful and lasted an hour.

It is expected that Her Majesty The Queen will be able to be discharged within a week’s time, whereupon The Queen will take up residence at Fredensborg Castle.

In the light of the operation, some of The Queen’s scheduled engagements within the next 1-2 months will be cancelled. Others will be carried through with the participation of His Royal Highness The Prince Consort or His Royal Highness The Crown Prince.

A press conference about the operation with consultant Anders Odgaard, M.D., and the team of doctors is convened at Århus Hospital, Tage-Hansens Gade, today at 14.30. The press conference will take place in the hospital’s hotel.

Ove Ullerup
Lord Chamberlain

Source: http://kongehuset.dk/artikel.php?id=77648

Does anybody know if there is a special dinner planned for Prince Henrik'd 72nd birthday this month (June 11)?

I know that'sjust only few days after Margrethe's surgery but any news about her?

Btw, I think that if something will be on June 11 that probably only inside family.

Last edited:
Since she's still in hospital, there probably wont be a lot of news about this- I'm sure she's fine though, and being well looked after. But a knee replacment will still mean a lot of rest in needed. I know when I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth they had to be taken out in surgery which meant aneasthetic- and that alone makes you sleeeeeep so much! :)

Yesterday, there was a somewhat gossipy bit on the internet for BT I think it was (a tabloid newspaper in DK) about QMII still being in hospital - and at a hospital where smoking is stricktly forbidden everywhere. Some of the employees were quoted as saying that in case the urge for cigarettes became too strong, some newspaper here might perhaps be lucky and get a picture of QMII standing on a remote staircase somewhere at the hospital and just inhale her cigarettes before she was discovered;)

That is such a powerful addiction, I quit 14 months ago and am so pleased. It's a bit sad for a woman her age because it can't possibly be easy to quit, and sadly she has such a wonderful personality and artistic style but such a frighteningly discolored smile.

soCal girl said:
Does anybody know if there is a special dinner planned for Prince Henrik'd 72nd birthday this month (June 11)?
check the microwave counter at the local store in Fredensborg :p

if it's emptied the day before the 11th then we know they are throwing a biiiiiiig party.

userdane > i don't think anyone can or will deny the Queen to smoke in bed if she wants to. i just sincerely hope she uses this week to give it a serious try to quit. the healing process would benefit a lot.

i also hope her knee operation turns out well. i know a lady who suffered from a bad knee for several years and, after more operations, still has problems. And she was surgered in Århus.

I'm glad Her Majesty came through the operation okay, but I'm sure her chain smoking habit will affect her recovery somewhat. Nurse friends of mine say smokers' bones tend not to heal up as fast as non-smokers. But the knee replacement will probably make a world of difference in how Margrethe feels pain-wise.

According to TV2, the Press Secretary of the Royal Danish Court, Mrs. Lis M. Frederiksen, says that Her Majesty's rehabilitation is going as planned. If all goes well, Her Majesty will be discharged within the week. Furthermore, Mrs. Frederiksen informs that Her Majesty is retraining her knee in the long hallways and on the many stairs of the hospital.

/Lasse Pedersen

HM Queen Margrethe II discharged

My translation of the press release:
Her Majesty The Queen discharged from Århus Hospital

Amalienborg, June 7th 2006.

This evening, Her Majesty The Queen was discharged from Århus Hospital after a successful operation in the left knee where an artificial knee joint was inserted. The operation took place on June 1st.

The Queen is doing well and has taken up residence at Fredensborg Palace. The rehabilitation is going as planned. It is expected that The Queen will gradually be able to carry out some visits and other engagements during the summer.

Ove Ullerup
Lord Chamberlain

Source (in Danish): http://kongehuset.dk/artikel.php?id=77696

Her Majesty showing off her new knee (picture found at Danish Royal Watchers http://danishroyalwatchers.blogspot.com):
clipboard037rb.jpg

/Lasse Pedersen

Well I am glad the surgery went well for the queen. This means however that we may see more of the crown prince and princess at official functions.

Kelly said:
Well I am glad the surgery went well for the queen. This means however that we may see more of the crown prince and princess at official functions.

I sure hope so, I never tire of seeing His Royal Highness :D

Lasse Pedersen said:
My translation of the press release:
Her Majesty The Queen discharged from Århus Hospital

Amalienborg, June 7th 2006.

This evening, Her Majesty The Queen was discharged from Århus Hospital after a successful operation in the left knee where an artificial knee joint was inserted. The operation took place on June 1st.

The Queen is doing well and has taken up residence at Fredensborg Palace. The rehabilitation is going as planned. It is expected that The Queen will gradually be able to carry out some visits and other engagements during the summer.

Ove Ullerup
Lord Chamberlain

Source (in Danish): http://kongehuset.dk/artikel.php?id=77696

Her Majesty showing off her new knee (picture found at Danish Royal Watchers http://danishroyalwatchers.blogspot.com):

/Lasse Pedersen
hooray!!!!!she's looking really well! I bet she has a pretty impressive scar from that! I knew she was tough but I didn't expect her to look so well- I've seen people looking a lot worse from a lot less!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, she doesn't even look like she just had surgery.

Agreed from that photo I can't tell she's just had surgery.

Is that photo really from after the surgery? She is truly a bionic women.

A Roman visit with Queen Margrethe

I had the privilege to visit the show dedicated to the Italian painter Antonello da Messina in Roma, on May 18, 2006 at the same time that Queen Margrethe was visiting the same museum, the Scuderie Reali at the Quirinale. She was surrounded by many body guards, and accompanied by two nice ladies and a professor who explained to her the paintings, while I was able to follow on her steps and be left to enjoy the visit at the same time she was enjoying it. What a elegant and lovely lady she is !

The caption on the royal site under the photo posted above states " a photo of the now replaced knee". In other words - the photo was taken before the knee replacement.

grevinnan said:
The caption on the royal site under the photo posted above states " a photo of the now replaced knee". In other words - the photo was taken before the knee replacement.
It sure does. I apologise for having misread the caption and thus misled you all! Nonetheless, it sounds as if Her Majesty is healing well and quickly!

/Lasse Pedersen

On 11 June, the Prince Consort celebrated his birthday at the Danish Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand, were he has been recently to attend the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations of King Bhumibol. At the party, Henrik took the opportunity to comment on his wife, Queen Margrethe, and her current health condition:

She is in good spirit, but it will take some time before she is fully recovered"

The reception was hosted by HE the Ambassador of Denmark to Thailand, Mr Ulrik Helweg-Larsen and his wife.

Read the full article from Scandasia here.

Pictures by Gregers Möller via Scandasia, more pictures can be found here.

Attachments

• full_news_1635.jpg
    full_news_1635.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 93
  • full_news_1636.jpg
    full_news_1636.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 98
  • full_news_1637.jpg
    full_news_1637.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 93
  • full_news_1638.jpg
    full_news_1638.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 106
  • full_news_1639.jpg
    full_news_1639.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 100
  • full_news_1634.jpg
    full_news_1634.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 104
I remember seeing that picture thinking how well she looks and I thought she might need to use a cane to walk for a little why, but then though I must be thinking of regular people, not superwoman! :) but obviously the fact she's left hospital and is fine mean she's healing well enough that the octors are satisfied with that. So a belated Happy Birthday to Prince Henrik and a congratulations of 39 years to the both of them! :)

Some really sweet news:

http://www.billed-bladet.dk/default.asp?Action=Details&Item=4086

According to Billed-Bladet the Queen will receive a late birthday present from her husband next week.

Ever since her 12-year-old dog Celimene died last December she has longed for a new dog.

It's a puppy from the same place as prince Henrik's dog Evita. It wasn't yet born on April 16th, so that's why the Queen have had to wait. The Queen gets to pick from four puppies.

Guess the race ?? Dachshund of course ....

To some extent I find it a little peculiar that both of them need their own, personal dog. It suggests to me that the prince consort didn't like the competition from the Queen for the dog's attention. Maybe Evita finds it cosier in the Queen's chambers, and Henrik desperately wants her back ??

Many families have more than one dog. If you have very different schedules it makes sense to have your own dog if they spend a lot of time with you.

grevinnan said:
Many families have more than one dog. If you have very different schedules it makes sense to have your own dog if they spend a lot of time with you.
You are probably right. I would want my own dog.

It also makes sense to give the dog a companion. I for one (as the owner of two nine year old brother-cats) wouldn't want to keep just one pet. They really get a lot of fun of each other.

From BT
Pictures: Brian Bergmann

Margrethe at work, on crutches.

Queen Margrethe had to support herself on the crutches, when she went up to the stage to sit on the chair.

by TINA KRONGAARD STAMPE

Queen Margrethe had to sit when she handed over "the Queen's watch", to a member of the Queen's guards, at the lawn in front of Rosenborg Castle, Friday.

A little more than three weeks after Queen Margrethe received a new knee at Aarhus Hospital, the majesty was back at work today.

But she is clearly not in top form yet, and therefore had to support herself on a pair of crutches when she met up at the Queen's guards' barracks at Rosenborg Castle to give out "the queen's watch."

The watch was awarded this time to guard Kræn Vodder Nielsen from Ribe, who was chosen by his friends in the guard. He received the watch and a handshake from a - because of the weak knee - sitting Queen.

Attachments

• 344646_large.jpg
    344646_large.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 344648_large.jpg
    344648_large.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 344650_large.jpg
    344650_large.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 177
More images from facetoface

Attachments