Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 1: May 2003 - November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Polfoto 19-05-2006 Pope Benedict XVI meets with Danish Queen Margrethe at the Vatican, Friday, May 19, 2006. The queen met with the pontiff as part of her May 17-19 trip to Rome and Florence where the she will attend celebrations marking 50 years of a Danish cultural institute in the Italian capital and open an exhibit of 19th century Danish paintings

Attachments

• AP808866_guest.jpg
    AP808866_guest.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 231
  • AP808864_guest.jpg
    AP808864_guest.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 218
  • AP808865_guest.jpg
    AP808865_guest.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 176
  • AP809175_guest.jpg
    AP809175_guest.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 207
  • AP809176_guest.jpg
    AP809176_guest.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
WOW! I was expecting the Tiara, jewels and the orders. What happened? Is this just a semi formal visit to the pope? I wonder what the protocol is surrounding a state or semi- state visit? Does it have to do with the fact that Margarethe is the head of a protestant nation|? Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks,
Linda 85

fanletizia said:
Polfoto 19-05-2006 Pope Benedict XVI meets with Danish Queen Margrethe at the Vatican, Friday, May 19, 2006. The queen met with the pontiff as part of her May 17-19 trip to Rome and Florence where the she will attend celebrations marking 50 years of a Danish cultural institute in the Italian capital and open an exhibit of 19th century Danish paintings

I just love the dress she is wearing at her meating with the Pope.
Seeing her in that kinde of dress make´s me think that i have a queen who is very happy an loves her life.
Bravo Queen Margrethe :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Tiaras and jewels etc seem to have gone out of fashion on visits to the Vatican. As long as the Queen is wearing black or a dark colour, she's following protocol. Interestingly, the Pope isn't wearing his stole because Margrethe is a protestant.

This is not an official state visit hence no tiara or gala dress. QMII has made at least one other visit to the Vatican.

Even when Elizabeth II made an official visit when JPII was Pope and she didn't wear a tiara or gala dress. She wore a small black hat with veil and a black suit. I think it's just the changing times.

thanks for the photos, i really like the grey suit but my favorite is the yellow outfit. she looks beautiful

Queen Margrethe meeting Pope Benedict XVI (pics from Corbis)

I see that His Holiness gave Queen Margrethe a rosary. I think that's a nice gift to have.

This may be an odd question but shouldn't they wear something to cover their head out of respect? I know she is not catholic

She's wearing a hat so that's acceptable.

Kelly said:
This may be an odd question but shouldn't they wear something to cover their head out of respect? I know she is not catholic

The same reason you curtsey to a foreign monarch: to acknowledge his status and as a token of respect;)

http://www.dr.dk/DR1/TVAVISEN/tvaindslag.htm

If you scroll right down then you can click on Dronning Margrethe mødte idag pve Benedikt d. 16 and see her meeting the Pope. It's wonderful to see. His Holiness walks in with open arms and says with a huge smile, "Ma'am!".

It's so nice to see all these monarchs meeting with His Holiness. Nice pics, BF. Thank you very much. :)

I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of Queen Margrethe and Pope Benedict at the Vatican. The first time I saw it, I was quite surprised to see Queen Margrethe wearing a hat with an attire not in the shade of black. Usually, I see female dignitaries or royal ladies visiting a pope and wearing a black dress with a black veil.

But maybe I think the protocol differs with people who are non-catholic or maybe it has been toned down since Pope Benedict became the pontiff.

But nevertheless both the pontiff and the Queen looked their best at this special event.

Queen Margrethe is elegant and beautiful photo with pope.!!! She is perceft women´s clothing.!

paulette said:
I really enjoyed looking at the pictures of Queen Margrethe and Pope Benedict at the Vatican. The first time I saw it, I was quite surprised to see Queen Margrethe wearing a hat with an attire not in the shade of black. Usually, I see female dignitaries or royal ladies visiting a pope and wearing a black dress with a black veil.

But maybe I think the protocol differs with people who are non-catholic or maybe it has been toned down since Pope Benedict became the pontiff.

But nevertheless both the pontiff and the Queen looked their best at this special event.

It was an official visit, not a state visit which if it had been, then, HM the Queen would have worn black.

"MII"

I think Queen Margrethe wore a perfectly appropirate dress for the meeting with the Pope - dark colour, hat, gloves... And she looked wonderful in it.

more of Queen Margarethe in Vatican (from tv2)

and from Getty

Attachments

• 57655217.jpg
    57655217.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 57655231.jpg
    57655231.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 125
  • 57655240.jpg
    57655240.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 57655661.jpg
    57655661.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 129
Inaugurating "800 danese" exhibition in Rome, Italy
(also from tv2)

I had the weirdest dream that I thought I should share with you all, Margaret was dressed in a huge black ball gown, tiara, orders and all. The Pope was dressed in bright white tux and they were waltzing around the vatican. I think I am gonna stop looking at the board before I fall asleep. It was to weird.

Princejohnny25 said:
I had the weirdest dream that I thought I should share with you all, Margaret was dressed in a huge black ball gown, tiara, orders and all. The Pope was dressed in bright white tux and they were waltzing around the vatican. I think I am gonna stop looking at the board before I fall asleep. It was to weird.

ha ha, so I take it you are an extravagant dreamer, hey Princejohnny?

Ekstrabladet seems to have declared temporarily war with the royal house seeing all the negatives stories coming from them lately, now it is Margrethes turn

According to this article Margrehtes chef the last 24 years is resigning, the 58 year old Takashi Kodo is about to resign because of poor salary, hard work and little backing from the management. He has always been discreet and he says he thinks his co-workers will be surprised because he has always kept it to him self. It seems the famous last drop was that he was asked to compromise his professional work to rationalise and save time (from the editorial it seems the chief of the court told him to heat something in the microwave)

He says the mood has changed lately, the special soul is gone, and today it is mainly about being effective and rationalising. As it is now it is not attractive to work for the royal house, its a place where everyone is expected to work hard, the salary is poor and there is little support from the management.
http://ekstrabladet.dk/underholdning/kongelige/article199058.ece

Margrethe has a new chef
http://ekstrabladet.dk/underholdning/kendte/article194976.ece

Kodo seems to have talked to Billed Bladet as well, a much more friendly publication than EB and I wonder how they will spin this story.

and to top this of Ekstrabladet has a really nasty editorial that does not have much nice to say about Margrethe as an employer and thinks it is unnecessary that the court accepts free cars and boats (don’t quite see how that fits in but I guess EB had to get it out) Very over the top as always from EB
http://ekstrabladet.dk/nyheder/lederen/article199038.ece
http://ekstrabladet.dk/nyheder/lederen/article199038.ece

That just goes to prove that the old saying, "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown," is true. If they spend money, they are criticised; if they rationalise, they are still criticised. So, it seems that "win or lose", you still lose! :confused:

Princejohnny25 said:

haha... that's too funny... oh, the visual... :eek:

Anyway, I like her gray suit, it's very smart looking. I think I've seen the yellow flower dress before, but I can't remember where. Very nice though.

Chef to Danish Royals quits in disgust

This article has been posted on another forum and I thought maybe its a good topic to discuss. :) Unless you feel offended and will delete this thread.
Its probably not in the right forum but I really did not know where to open my thread. Sorry :(
May 26, 2006 - 7:01AM

A long-standing chef serving Princess Mary's royal in-laws has quit in disgust at what he describes as the Danish royal family's preference for microwave dinners over gourmet dishes.

Japanese-born Takashi Kondo, 58, who has worked in the kitchen at Copenhagen's Amalienborg Palace for 24 years, said he could no longer bear to feed the monarchs, who occasionally opted for reheated leftovers.

"All the soul has gone," said the chef who blamed labour efficiency and time constraints for the shift from fine fare to convenience fodder.

"Everyone has to run around and hurry everything."

Kondo also criticised budget cuts, which have seen the allowance for the royal menu slashed by 12,000 euros ($A20,370) to just 73,000 euros ($A123,920) per year.

"It's all about cost-cutting, it's more beggarly than kingly," he said.

"Soon they will end up getting rid of the silver and eating off monogrammed plastic plates."

AAP
from
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/royal-chef-quits-in-disgust/2006/05/26/1148524846255.html

Thats funny that they like reheated food just like us.

{question about thread being in the wrong forum deleted after move - Elspeth}

The article is interesting, royals are human and enjoy food on the go. But for a chef that's hired to cook grand, gourmet meals, reheated leftovers must be a let-down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilarious article. {comment about thread being in the wrong forum deleted after move - Elspeth} Thank you for sharing, I especially loved the microwave dinner complaint :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That's funny! But it's nice to know that even royals eat leftover like us!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom