Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 1: May 2003 - November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smilla said:
1. Cartoons exaggerate. That is their function. They should make you think. So they should make you think whether there is a connection between the Muslim faith and terrorism. You can answer yes or no to that question.
2. If a muslim journalist pulished a picture of Jesus and altered the cross as a bomb I would respect his freedom of speech. Plain and simply. The vatican wouldn't stage demonstrations or threaten to kill those people either. Most Christians wouldn't turn to violence either.
3. Sure you have the right to express your opinions. If you turn to violence, however, that is unlawful and only reinforces the criticism of Islam.

I agree totally with what you've said Smilla, but particuarly that the level of violence in response to the cartoons is unjustified. However offensive or distasteful the cartoons were, there are much better ways of decrying them then by storming the Danish embassies in various countries or burning the Danish flag. Such violence doesn't beget a better understand of the Islamic faith or, for those who (falsely) hold such a belief that Islam and terrorism are linked, these actions only serve to prove such ignorant assumptions as being true.

While I never had one feeling one way or the other about whether or not Queen Margrethe sould make a public statement about this situation, I am starting to lean more towards the belief that she shouldn't. Firstly, I had never considered as someone has pointed out in this thread, that a public statement by a woman of power would only serve to heighten the tension over this situation, but also that to some level, an official comment about it by the Queen would only serve to prove the point that violence does beget a response. And what can the Queen do about the situation now? The cartoons have been printed -- Queen Margrethe can't be expected to turn back the clock and recall the decision. And I feel that had only the negative action been the printing of the cartoons, then the smoothing of the relations should be on the Danish side. But with the amount of violence inflicted upon Danish property, I think the onus of smoothing over relations should now be more on the other side.

I agree Alexandria. Margrethe is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. If she says that the protestors are wrong, the press will scream "Danish Queen condemns Muslims" and the attention will turn on her creating a security nightmare. If she says they are right, the Danish people may feel betrayed.

BeatrixFan said:
I agree Alexandria. Margrethe is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. If she says that the protestors are wrong, the press will scream "Danish Queen condemns Muslims" and the attention will turn on her creating a security nightmare. If she says they are right, the Danish people may feel betrayed.

She'll do fine. She's a skilled politician with lots of experience.

A point I forgot to mention (and which I saw on my local news last night) was that I think the violent actions have led to greater attention about the cartoons and more people are looking purposefully for them. I myself went and did a Google search on the cartoons to see what all the fuss was about and to make my own judgements.

The violence in the end only served to bring greater attention to the cartoons and generate greater international exposure for them that might not have existed had the situation been dealt with in a more diplomatic manner. Had a representative of the Islamic faith simply approached the publisher/editors of the Danish publication and asked for a public apology/retraction, that would not have made the news beyond Denmark and the Islamic countries. The local news in Toronto or even the national news in Canada would not have made it a point to include a private chat between a Danish publication and a leader of the Islamic faith into their nightly news lineup. But they certainly made room (one of the top spots actually) for images of the Danish flag being burned and the Danish embassy being stormed. And in the end it took the attention away from the real issue -- the offensiveness of the cartoons, and the violence became the real issue.

She'll do fine. She's a skilled politician with lots of experience

Maybe so but the press can twist her words anyway they want.

I myself went and did a Google search on the cartoons to see what all the fuss was about and to make my own judgements.

I did the same. How can I have an opinion on them if I haven't seen them? I just find it amazing how much fuss has been made over it. The protestors here held banners up saying how Bin Laden would deal with Denmark and how Europe would have it's own 9/11 etc. Did the police arrest them? Of course not. In Britain, we're told there are those planning terrorist attacks. And when they come out and openly advocate terrorism, they aren't arrested. It's hopeless. Almost every European country is dealing with these problems and their Heads of State haven't made speeches or statements. I don't think Margrethe should either. Leave it to the Prime Minister - he can be ditched at election but for Margrethe, the consequences could be alot worse.

BeatrixFan said:
Almost every European country is dealing with these problems and their Heads of State haven't made speeches or statements. I don't think Margrethe should either. Leave it to the Prime Minister - he can be ditched at election but for Margrethe, the consequences could be alot worse.

I think what is called for is a statement from the EU/all the prime ministers. That would show unity and, let's say, decisiveness under pressure. As long as they don't manage that, Margarethe isn't under any obligation to make herself the object of hatred.

I'd like to add a thought here. I totally agree with both points made 1. the cartoons were offensive and tacky but shouldn't have been banned 2. the violence is inexcusable.

But I'd like to come at this from a different angle. This tension has been festering for a long time. The cartoons were published in September, the violence didn't get started until quite recently. I think this is a good example of the dangers of ignoring a potentially hotbed issue until its too late. As Alexandria said, much of the West didn't start paying attention to this until quite late.

Some Muslims did complain at first but the violent extremists didn't get involved. The Danish Muslims did make their complaints peacefully but the prime minister's response basically was in so many words "Tough luck. We have freedom of the press so I'm not dealing with you. Its your problem, not mine. Leave me alone."

Denmark does have freedom of the press so there is nothing he could have legally done about the cartoons but he could have chosen a less callous and offhanded response. With the tense political situation, the tone and manner of his response was a bit dumb diplomatically.

Now ironically it is his problem and its a major one. He just met with the Arabic envoys which he refused to do at first. Now he's giving into the violence by meeting with them, but if he had met with them before, it would have been no big deal and he could have used the opportunity to ease tensions. I think unwittingly he has given the Muslim world the message that we won't pay attention until you become violent and that's not a good message to give out either.

Now things are a mess and I agree totally that the Queen should not say anything; its too late and she didn't start the problem. But I hate that the DRF is getting grief over this.

"Tough luck. We have freedom of the press so I'm not dealing with you. Its your problem, not mine. Leave me alone."

He never actually said that though. So it isn't ironic at all that it's his problem. And it isn't his problem. What's he supposed to do? Start censoring the media? The Arab States can print anti-semitic cartoons but the West can't print cartoons showing Mohammed?

The Danish Royal Family shouldn't make any comment on the situation whatsoever, because as people have said, it turns the focus on them. At the moment, they're burning pictures of the Danish PM - I don't think anybody wants that picture to turn into Margrethe.

Marengo said:
I read in todays newspaper (a dutch one) that arabic protesters are now even demanding the Queen of Denmark to apologise for the cartoons about Mohammed, published in a danish newspaper. Is this true? Of course she never will (quite rightly so), but it is disturbing to see her dragged into this discussion (though the protests against Denmark were already quite upsetting). Anyway, good luck to her and to Denmark!

First of all, thank you, Marengo.

Now, all Danish citizens are being evacuated from both Syria and Lebanon after protestors set the Royal Danish Embassy in Syria and the Royal Danish Consulate in Lebanon on fire. This conflict has certainly escalated, but of course, as Marengo said, HM the Queen is not to speak in this regard.

Her Majesty has stated that one must be aware of the way in which we in the Western World are being challenged by Islam, and that we must maintain our way of life and our values. Then, the other day, I went online and visited an Islamic fundamentalist website, and amongst the death threats made against me, my fellow country men and our Norwegian friends, I read that Queen Margrethe II of Denmark was a racist who sought in all ways to undermine the Muslim population of Denmark. Furthermore, they quoted a man from 'Dansk Front', an extremely right-wing union of people in Denmark who believe that Denmark is for Danes only, for saying that all Muslims ought to be put to death. True, he said this, but he is a private person, and does definitely not represent the majority of Danes. If, however, people in the Muslim world are told that this is the way things are in Denmark, no wonder if they feel like burning our embassy to the ground.

I know that the relevance of the above is dubious, but I just cannot help myself. It pains me to see not only our flag, but our representative offices burnt by people who do so, because they have been misinformed by the local media and by Danish imams. I hope that this conflict will soon be resolved in peace, and that my fellow citizens understand that this conflict is primarily a result of misinformation!

/Lasse Pedersen

A number of posts that have not heeded the first warning have been deleted. This is a current events thread not a debate thread.

Since religion and polics are not permitted on the forums, the discussion regarding the cartoon and its consequences is over. More often than not, these discussions become too heated resulting in hurt feelings and insults being hurled at other members.

This is the last warning.

The Danish Moderating Team

Billed Bladet reports that Queen Margrethe will also be attending the Christening of Sverre Magnus. She is one of Haakon's godmothers, and she will be in Norway for her yearly ski-vacation then as well.

Whilst HM the Queen is skiing with HM Queen Sonja in Norway, HRH the Prince Consort is vacationing elsewhere. His whereabouts are not known to the public, but I guess he is at Château de Caïx! Since TRH the Crown Prince Couple are in Switzerland, HRH Prince Joachim serves as regent of Denmark!

/Lasse Pedersen

I hope this is the right place to post this question... I read that Queen Margrethe actually preferred her sons to marry foreigners. Is this true, and if so, why? Most sovereigns prefer their children to marry one of their own, so I'm just curious as to why Margrethe feels differently.

rchat said:
I hope this is the right place to post this question... I read that Queen Margrethe actually preferred her sons to marry foreigners. Is this true, and if so, why? Most sovereigns prefer their children to marry one of their own, so I'm just curious as to why Margrethe feels differently.

I have heard this as well. I think it might be because the Queen wants to form ties with a foreign country and increase business and trade opportunites with Denmark and the foreign country. Also, it could be because Denmark is relatively small and the Queen would prefer her sons to marry a foreigner where it would be more difficult to dig up dirt on the persons past. ( of course the press would be able to dig up dirt on anyone no matter how far the country is but it would just be more time-consuming. This is just my opinion

Australian said:
I have heard this as well. I think it might be because the Queen wants to form ties with a foreign country and increase business and trade opportunites with Denmark and the foreign country. Also, it could be because Denmark is relatively small and the Queen would prefer her sons to marry a foreigner where it would be more difficult to dig up dirt on the persons past. ( of course the press would be able to dig up dirt on anyone no matter how far the country is but it would just be more time-consuming. This is just my opinion

Not just the Queen but a large majority of the danish public...or so I have been lead to believe.

"MII"

rchat said:

Maybe because it worked out so well in her case.:)

Margrethe II said:
Not just the Queen but a large majority of the danish public...or so I have been lead to believe.

"MII"
That has been claimed many times; I don't think that Danes would really have any objection whatsoever to a Danish-born princess (it makes a good story though that they would mind ;) ). Since the media are so much more 'international' since the days QMII married her French spouse, I think that the country of origin of a princess has much less importance today. If there is 'dirt' to be dug up, it will be - no matter where she comes from.

HM Queen Margrethe II and HRH Henrik, the Prince Consort must be preparing for the state visit of the President of Bulgaria, HE Georgi Parvanov, and his wife, Mrs. Zorka Parvanova. The visit will last three days from March 29 till March 31. What is scheduled is up untill this point not clear to me. Nothing has yet been published from the Royal Court. Obviously, a gala dinner will be held with a return dinner. I am not sure whether a gala performance will be held at the Royal Danish Theatre when a president is visiting. Let us hope that the Royal Court will soon unveil some of the plans!

/Lasse Pedersen

from polfoto, today :

The Queen Visit Art Festival in KVL

here's caption from polfoto, could someone please translate?
Polfoto 10-03-2006 Dronning Margrethe overværede fredag Den Kgl. Veterinær- og Landbohøjskoles årsfest, og dagen var også 150 års-dagen for KVL's grundlæggelse. På programmet var der bl.a. prisoverrækkelser, fagligt foredrag, et oplæg fra rektor Per Holten-Andersen (t.v.) om hvad fremtiden byder på for KVL, samt en reception om eftermiddagen for de indbudte gæster. Der har været en tilknytning til kongehuset fra 1856.
(Tariq Mikkel Khan/POLFOTO)

Attachments

• ch156466_guest.jpg
    ch156466_guest.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 200
  • ch156467_guest.jpg
    ch156467_guest.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 190
  • ch156468_guest.jpg
    ch156468_guest.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 205
  • ch156469_guest.jpg
    ch156469_guest.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 173
purple_platinum said:
from polfoto, today :

The Queen Visit Art Festival in KVL

here's caption from polfoto, could someone please translate?

I'll give it a try:

Polfoto 10-03-2006 On Friday, queen Margrethe attended the yearly celebrations of the Danish Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University; the day also marked the 150th anniversary of the foundation of the RVA. The programme included presentation of prizes, a technical/scientific lecture, an introduction by Per Holten-Andersen, rector, about what the future holds for RVA and a reception in the afternoon for invited guests. The RVA has had ties to the royal house since 1856.

UserDane said:

I'll give it a try:

Polfoto 10-03-2006 On Friday, queen Margrethe attended the yearly celebrations of the Danish Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University; the day also marked the 150th anniversary of the foundation of the RVA. The programme included presentation of prizes, a technical/scientific lecture, an introduction by Per Holten-Andersen, rector, about what the future holds for RVA and a reception in the afternoon for invited guests. The RVA has had ties to the royal house since 1856.

What's with Royal Ladies and black this month?:eek: :D :
Queen Sofia, Queen Margrethe II, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Infanta Cristina

Australian said:
I have heard this as well. I think it might be because the Queen wants to form ties with a foreign country and increase business and trade opportunites with Denmark and the foreign country....

You know, you may have a point there. Before Prince Frederick hooked up with Mary the Australians probably had never even heard of the Danish Royal Family and probably weren't that familiar with Denmark, as they had no reason to be. Now look at all the interest (even excitement) they have as they watch their adopted "daughter" in her new royal role in Denmark.
Very clever of Queen Marguerite. ;)

Polfoto 15-03-2006 Dronning Margrethe overrakte onsdag under en parade på Livgardens Kaserne i København "Hendes Majestæt Dronningens Ur" til garder Morten Dahl Hansen fra Skrøbelev på Langeland. Morten Dahl Hansen, der snart har afsluttet sin værnepligt ved Den Kongelige Livgarde, fik udmærkelsen, fordi han i særlig grad har været en god kammerat og en dygtig soldat.

Attachments

• ch156851_guest.jpg
    ch156851_guest.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 155
  • ch156852_guest.jpg
    ch156852_guest.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 169
  • ch156853_guest.jpg
    ch156853_guest.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 164
  • ch156854_guest.jpg
    ch156854_guest.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 153
purple_platinum said:
Polfoto 15-03-2006 Dronning Margrethe overrakte onsdag under en parade på Livgardens Kaserne i København "Hendes Majestæt Dronningens Ur" til garder Morten Dahl Hansen fra Skrøbelev på Langeland. Morten Dahl Hansen, der snart har afsluttet sin værnepligt ved Den Kongelige Livgarde, fik udmærkelsen, fordi han i særlig grad har været en god kammerat og en dygtig soldat.

Very nice photoes purple_platinum and Adry:) Here is a translation of Polfoto's caption:
Wednesday, Queen Margrethe presented guard Morten Dahl Hansen from Skrøbelev on Langeland with "Her Majesty the Queen's Watch" during a parade at the quarters of the Royal Life Guards in Copenhagen. Morten Dahl Hansen, who has soon finished his military service, received the recognition because he in particular has proven himself to be a good friend and a skilled soldier.

Regarding the lack of warmth between HM the Queen and Greece, I remember reading in the Official Annual Report of the Royal Household of 2004 that Her Majesty paid a "coutesy visit" to the President of Greece during her stay in Greece for the Olympics. It was clearly important for the court to stress that Her Majesty visited the president of Greece, not because she wanted to, but because it was protocol. But maybe it was in the course of this courtesy visit that all disagreements and differences were set aside!?

/Lasse Pedersen

Danish Queen Margrethe (C) and Prince Henrik (L) attend, 05 April 2006 a commemorative parade in Roenne on the little Danish island Bornholm to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the withdrawal of Russian troops.

from getty

Attachments

• 57260918.jpg
    57260918.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 152
According to Billed-Bladet, HRH the Prince Consort was secretly admitted to the University Hospital of Copenhagen on April 2 and had minor surgery performed. Initially, doctors thought that His Royal Highness could return to Amalienborg on the same day, however, they later recommended the Prince Consort to stay for the night. His Royal Highness was discharged on the following day.

/Lasse Pedersen

Source: http://www.billedbladet.dk/default.asp?Action=Details&Item=3922

Do we know the Reason for this Operation??

Royal Fan said:
Do we know the Reason for this Operation??

Posted by UserDane at Scandinavian Royals Message Board.
According to TV 2's website (http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php?id=3940736&forside) Prince Henrik was admitted to Rigshospitalet on Monday to have a cyst removed which was discovered during a routine check. He left again Tuesday morning. There are no further comments about it except that it was not cancer.

Billed Bladet (http://www.billedbladet.dk/default.asp?Action=Details&Item=3922) says that

"Monday morning, Prince Henrik, 71, was secretly admitted to the Rigshospitalet. The prince was to have minor surgery and he was planned to be released from hospital already same evening. However, the doctor at the ward did not think that the prince consort was ready to be released and that he ought to stay at the hospital. Therefore, prince Henrik spent the night in a hospital bed before he was taken back to Amalienborg on Tuesday."

(Sorry Lasse, my fault, I was quoting the same source you had already quoted!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom