The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Denmark's Queen Margrethe waves while entering Odense City Hall for the ceremony to honor the 200th birthday of author Hans Christian Andersen Saturday April 2, 2005. Celebrities from across the globe gathered in Denmark to honor Andersen, the author of 'The Ugly Duckling,' and 'The Emperor's New Clothes,' among other classics. At rear is Prince Henrik. (AP Photo/John McConnico)

Source: Yahoo News
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DK-10104021504.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	119430  

Old 04-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Courtier

Kongelig deltagelse i Pavens begravelse

Hendes Majestæt Dronningen og Hans Kongelige Højhed Prinsen deltager i Pave Johannes Paul II's begravelse fredag den 8. april i Rom.

Ove Ullerup
Hofmarskal

this is from the official website....i guess it's saying the Queen and Prince Henrik is gonna attend the funeral of the Pope on Friday April the 8?

Old 04-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik and Princess mary were greeted by a torch procession by the citizens of Fredensborg. The torchlight procession takes place each year to mark the beginning of spring, also the royal couple move into the Fredensborg Castle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fredensborg1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	121746   Click image for larger version

Name:	fredensborg2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	121747  
Old 04-07-2005, 05:37 AM
Heir Apparent

So Her Majesty and Prince Henrik will attend the Funeral of Pope tomorrow.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 04-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdas1201
Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik and Princess mary were greeted by a torch procession by the citizens of Fredensborg. The torchlight procession takes place each year to mark the beginning of spring, also the royal couple move into the Fredensborg Castle.
I wonder where CP Frederik was...
Old 04-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
I wonder where CP Frederik was...
According to the CP couple's web-page, he is partisipating in an expedition from 4. April to 12. April on Greenland. It's for a DR Tv-project.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Courtier

on HM's birthday.....it only says HM and Prince Henrik and royal family would be present for the balcony scene.....wonder if Princess Alexandra's gonna be there this year.....??? anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I heard that Prince Fred and Princess Mary will visit Thailand on 16th april?So will they attend this year's Queen Margrethe's birthday?
Old 04-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Majesty

Det er 60 år siden de hvide busser hentede kz-fanger hjem

Polfoto 09-04-2005 Dronning Margrethe ankommer til Gustafskyrkan i København for at være med ved lørdagens markering af, at det er 60 år siden, de danske koncentrationslejr-fanger blev evakueret fra Tyskland af Folke Bernadottes hvide busser. Den vej, den svenske kirke ligger på i København, hedder Folke Bernadottes Allé efter den svenske Røde Kors-leder. (Kim Nielsen/POLFOTO)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AP469472.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	123006   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP469487.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	123007   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP469474.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	123011   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP469484.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	123012  

Name:	AP469473.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	123014  
Old 04-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

This past Monday, 11 April, Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik along with representatives from both the Danish Government and Parliament attended a requiem mass for the passed Pope John Paull II in the St Ansgars Cathedral in Copenhagen. Pictures from Polfoto:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AP469832_guest.jpg.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	125121   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP469837_guest.jpg.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	125122   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP469838_guest.jpg.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	125123   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP469839_guest.jpg.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	125124  

Name:	AP469847_guest.jpg.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	125125   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP469851_guest.jpg.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	125126   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP469852_guest.jpg.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	125127  
Old 04-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Today journalist Annelise Bistrup presented her new book about Queen Margrethe, in connection to her 65th birthday this year, to the Queen herself at Fredensborg Palace. The book features Magrethe's views on her life, her family's happiness, art and the monarchy. Margrethe has participated in long talks with Annelise in 2003 and 2004 as a base for the book. From Polfoto:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AP470025_guest.jpg.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	125132   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP470026_guest.jpg.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	125133   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP470027_guest.jpg.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	125134  
Old 04-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

she looks nice!

what about foreign Royals will attend her 65th birthday? like past 60th birthday years ago

Sara Boyce
Old 04-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes,it';s nearly her 65th birthday now.I think it will be great celebration.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

As I've understood it, there won't be any bigger celebrations for Margrethe's 65th birthday this year (like for her 60th). It will only be a family thing as I've heard, and I'm not even sure the Crown Princely couple will be at home (since they are in Thailand on the 16th). The book is the only exception, it's of course special - but I'm sure it would've been released no matter her age.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Royal Highness

Here are a few articles from the official biography of Queen Margrethe. The Queen was interviewed by journalist Annelise Bistrup.

Quote:
Queen gives Mary top grades
From correspondents in Fredensborg, Denmark
April 14, 2005

DENMARK'S Queen Margrethe has praised her daughter-in-law, Australian-born Crown Princess Mary, for adapting to royal life since she married Crown Prince Frederik in a fairytale wedding last May.

"It must be strenuous to come to a new country and take on her position," the queen told reporters at Fredensborg Palace north of Copenhagen on the launch today of a new royal biography.

"She's doing a great job, I'm a proud mother-in-law," said Margrethe, who ascended to the Danish throne in 1972.

If Mary Donaldson, who worked as a real estate agent in Sydney before meeting Fredrik at the 2000 Olympic games, found her new role difficult, the queen said she could expect it "to get easier as the years go by".

"My job has become easier as I gained more experience but it will never become a routine for me," said the queen, who turns 65 later this month.

Earlier this month, Frederik's younger brother Prince Joachim officially divorced his Hong Kong-born wife Alexandra, but the divorce did nothing to dent the popularity of the Danish royal family which is supported by a large majority of Danes.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html
Old 04-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Denmark's Queen will not abdicate

April 15, 2005

DENMARK'S Queen Margrethe II has no intention of abdicating so her son Crown Prince Frederik can take over the throne, she said in a new book just released.

“To be queen is a profession, a job, a duty, a position for life. For me, it is a responsibility that does not include an abdication,” she said in the authorised biography Margrethe.

The hugely popular monarch, 65 this Saturday, has reigned since 1972.

Unlike in Britain, there has been no debate in Denmark about the queen's possible abdication, even as she approaches a time when most people her age are moving into retirement.

Speaking of 36-year-old Prince Frederik, who married Mary Donaldson, an Australian commoner, last year, the queen said he had “matured, especially after meeting Mary”. The Australian
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/st...toryid=2968857
Old 04-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Danish queen warns against rise of Islam
Quote:

Queen Margrethe II says in her new book people must on occasion show their opposition to Islam.

COPENHAGEN - Denmark's Queen Margrethe II warned against the rise of Islamic fundamentalism in Denmark and the world in a new book out on Thursday, saying people must on occasion "show their opposition to Islam".

"It is a challenge we have to take seriously. We have let this issue float about for too long because we are tolerant and very lazy," she said in the authorized biography "Margrethe" written by journalist Annelise Bistrup.

While she did not specifically refer to fundamentalism, she spoke of "these people for whom religion is their entire lives".

"We have to show our opposition to Islam and we have to, at times, run the risk of having unflattering labels placed on us because there are some things for which we should display no tolerance," she said.

"And when we are tolerant, we must know whether it is because of convenience or conviction," added the queen, who has reigned since 1972 and celebrates her 65th birthday on Saturday.

Denmark has in recent years been accused of fuelling xenophobic tendencies after implementing a slew of measures aimed at curbing immigration. The government has argued that it wants to focus efforts on improving the assimilation into Danish society of immigrants already in the country.

Queen Margrethe, who professes a knowledge of Islam due to her interest in archaeology, said it was "natural that young Muslims would be attracted" to the faith's absolute values and seek refuge in religion "as they are cut off from our community because of their lack of (Danish) language skills."

"It's not just a matter of speaking and understanding" Danish, she said, but also "understanding the language's codes, and we have to help them."

The queen, who is hugely popular among Danes, is the head of the Lutheran-Evangelical Church, of which 85 percent of Denmark's 5.4 million inhabitants are members. Muslims make up about three percent of the population.

http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=13230
Old 04-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Royal Highness

Here are a few pictures from the interview/biography.

www.polfoto.dk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	125553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography 2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	125554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography 3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	125556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography 4.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	125557  

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography 5.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	125558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography 6.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	125564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography 7.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	125565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography 8.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	125566  

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography 9.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	125567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography 10.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	125568  
Old 04-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Royal Highness

The black and white photo is my personal favorite.:)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography 10.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	125572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography 11.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	125573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen MII from the official biography 12.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	125574  
Old 04-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Royal Highness

Margarethe met Mary over a cup of tea

That's as much as my Danish can translate. However Stig, at the SRFM translated this bit:
How the phone conversation went

Quote:
Af BODIL CATH
Dronning Margrethe er meget bevidst om, at Mary mistede sin mor, da hun var ung - hun vil gerne støtte sin svigerdatter så meget som muligt. Dronningen fortæller i Anne Bistrups nye bog, om sit første møde med Mary.

Jeg mødte Mary Donaldson første gang i sommeren 2003. En eftermiddag ringede Frederik: »Mor, kommer du over og får en kop te?« »Er det, fordi du gerne vil have, jeg skal møde Mary?« »Ja, det er det.« »Det vil jeg forfærdelig gerne.«
Sådan fortæller dronning Margrethe til Annelise Bistrup om det første møde med sin svigerdatter og fortsætter.

Jeg var glad og meget spændt. Men jeg var ikke særlig urolig, for det indtryk, jeg havde fået af hendes utrolige diskretion og stilfærdige fremtoning - på trods af pressens meget påtrængende nysgerrighed - viste mig, at der måtte være noget helt usædvanligt ved den pige. Selv om man vælger med hjertet, behøver man jo ikke at slå hjernen fra.

Prinsen havde truffet Mary ved en tidligere lejlighed, men nu var vi klar over, at det var ramme alvor.

Senere i juledagene på Marselisborg fik vi lejlighed til at opleve Mary, ikke bare som nogle korte glimt, men i et par dage i familiens skød, hvor vi var der alle sammen og opførte os så pænt eller så fjollet, som vi nu gør. Det var ikke bare os, der skulle se hende an. Hun skulle også se, hvad det var for en familie, hun var havnet i, og finde ud af, om hun turde binde an med sådan en familie. Hun havde tilbragt et helt år i Danmark, så hun havde en anelse om, hvad Danmark var for noget,« fortæller Dronningen til Annelise Bistrup.

At dronning Margrethe holder meget af sin nye svigerdatter Mary, kan der slet ikke herske tvivl om.

Det fremgår da også tydeligt af »Margrethe«, hvor Dronningen åbent erkender, at hun har været meget bevidst om, at Mary mistede sin mor, da Kronprinsessen endnu var meget ung. Henrietta Donaldson døde under en hjerteoperation i 1997.

Vil gerne støtte

»Man skal ikke trænge sig på. Men Mary har mistet sin mor, og jeg følte, at hvis jeg på nogen måde kunne være der for hende, så var det noget, jeg gerne ville.

Jeg måtte tænke på min egen mor, der havde den forfærdelige sorg som kun 10-årig at miste sin mor, og hvor meget min mor kunne have været en støtte for Mary, fordi hun vidste noget, jeg ikke vidste. Men det betød noget for mig, at Mary vidste, at havde hun brug for mig, så var jeg der. Ikke på nogen anmassende måde,« siger Margrethe, der også fortæller, at hun ligesom sine søstre er helt overbevist om, at dronning Ingrid ville have været glad for kronprins Frederiks valg.

I bogen understreger Margrethe i den sammenhæng:

»Jeg er ikke den, der vil trænge sig på med gode råd. Man snakker lidt om tingene og håber på, at man kan sige noget, der er væsentligt, og som hun kan bruge. Det er først, når man lærer hinanden bedre at kende, at man kan føle sig helt fri over for hinanden. I den første tid var det vigtigt for mig og Prinsen, at Mary mærkede, at hun virkelig var velkommen.«

Frederik smiler mere

Dronningen siger også i bogen, at den modning, Frederik har været ude for i løbet af de sidste år, er noget, der virkelig glæder: »Han er blevet mere åben. Hans smil sidder løsere, det kommer helt anderledes nemt. Og det har han god grund til, for Frederik og Mary er et meget fint par. Ikke mindst i de senere år har folk omfattet Frederik med stor hengivenhed og varme.

Men vi mærker også, hvordan man har taget parret til sig. Mary har en meget smuk udstråling, som også Prinsen er begejstret for,« siger Dronningen.

Om sin alder siger Margrethe, der lørdag fylder 65 år: »Jeg er ikke nået så langt, at jeg for alvor er klar over, at jeg virkelig ikke er ung mere. Indimellem glemmer jeg totalt, at jeg er en gammel kone midt i 60erne. Et eller andet sted er man aldrig helt så mange år, som man i virkeligheden er.«
http://www.bt.dk/royalt/artikel:aid=...fid=100300158/

Closed Thread

Tags
margrethe ii