Princess Marie, Current Events Part 1: March 2009 - June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She looks absolutely lovely!
She is radiating!

It's nice to see her comfortable in her own skin...the photos of her after marrying Prince Joachim shows her uncomfortable. I think she's finally put her foot down regarding how she dresses and has returned to "pure Marie". This shows in how she performs her duties.

Also, it's different to hear the Danish language spoken in a French accent :) I also listened to some of Crown Princess Mary's speeches in Danish and you can still hear her thick Australian accent...now I understand when my mother says that I have an Australian accent when I speak Italian :lol:

A sweet little story from the rose-festival in Bogense:
Marie Clausens overraskelse - fyens.dk - Nordfyn

One of those who were looking at what was going on was Marie Clausen, who will turn 100 next Monday. (*)
She lives at a retirement home in Bogense.
Unknown to her the mayor of Bogense had arranged for Princess Marie to be introduced to Marie Clausen.
So a surprised elderly lady recieved a handshake from our Marie with the words: "Are you (**) also called Marie"? Marie here being pronounced in French.
To which Marie Clausen replied: "No, I'm called Marie", pronounced in Danish with an audible e in the end.

Marie Clausen is old enough to vividly remember Northern Slesvig/Schleswig being reunited with Denmark in 1920.

(*) It's tradition that the Monarch sends a telegram to those who turn 100 congratulating them on their birthday.
- Provided someone let the court know about it first and usually someone do.

(**) Using informal you.

Another article with lovely pics of the rose festival:

** Billed-Bladet: Prinsesse Marie fik sin egen rose **
Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #32, 2010.
Marie vil også have flere børn - Marie will also have more children.
Written by Ken Richter.

Quite a few things have happened in the DRF recently. One of the events was our Marie attending a rose-festival in the town of Bogense.
The weather was great and so was the turnout when Princess Marie visited Bogense and as the news about twins had just broken Marie was naturally also asked about her plans: "I hope I'll have more children - but not right now".
About the news ahe said: "It's so lovely and I'm really happy for them. They are really fortunate". As with Joachim, she was also told when the family was gathered at Gråsten.

However, this was about roses and Marie had one named in her honour and before pouring a couple of drops on the roses and kissing them she said: "I baptise you Princess Marie". All this taking place at the packed town square.

Before then Marie had been taken for a tour through the town, including an exhibition of christening gowns and in case she should have missed the point, cardborad storks had also been planted here and there.

- And in case she still didn't get it, her father-in-law (svigerfar) Henrik expressed his delight of soon being grandfather of seven and added that he wouldn't mind at all if there were produced even more grandchildren.

- From looking at various pics of petite Marie recently I think there is more of her these days.
However, Alexandra also "bulged" a little shortly after coming to DK. That was very vividly illustrated back then with a picture of her lower backside. Quite flattering I think even though I bet she absolutely hated that picture! Anyway, a doctor, Erik Münster, was asked and he explained that it was very normal that foreign ladies setteling in DK had a tendency to - expand. The result of a change of diet and a more settled life style.
Traditional Danish food is basically peasant food and the Marie has admitted that she is very fond of roast pork, which is delicious but fattening.

The weather is pretty poor today as you can see and as usual no security and police in sight.
Princess Marie gave a speech after having been welcomed at the Horsens townhall.
The topic for the conference was of course poverty and social exclusion among children.

A topic that is well worth addressing not only in Denmark. The number of children in DK living in poverty (*) is on the rise. Not least among children of immigrant families who are not from Western or other highly indusrialised countries. The financial crisis hardly helps either.
Poverty is of course not only about being fed and clothed and have a place to live.
For children the social contacts and comparing yourselves with other children is very much an issue too.
Poverty is also about not being able to afford social medias, like phones, computers and whatever children use nowadays to stay in touch. It's also about not being able to afford to go on holiday, something children of course discuss smong themselves.
It's also about the children wearing cheap clothing, because the parents cannot afford otherwise.
It's also very much about not being able to afford having your child join a sportsclub or other clubs, where the social interaction is extremely important.
These may seem fairly trivial problems seen from the outside and they are - except for the children.
If there is one thing children do not want, it's to feel left out.

(*) The definition of poverty varies according to who do the research and the criterias. It's very difficult to define what poverty is, but that there are more poor children now than say three years ago is a fact.

Princess Marie opened the conference "Child poverty and social exclusion",
organized by Broen (bridge) Denmark, at the City Hall of Hornsens today,
August 16, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** hsfo.dk: Galleri: Prinsesse Marie Cavalier i Horsens **

I'm sorry, but what a load of bunk. It sounds nice, but bunk, nonetheless. It is up to the parents, whether poor or not, to give values to their children. I grew up very poor, did not have TV until I was 13 years old and my family had no car until I graduated high school. Class has nothing to do with money. The children should be fed if they are hungry, but "It's also about the children wearing cheap clothing, because the parents cannot afford otherwise." is laughable.

Sorry about the politics, but Princess Marie brought it up.

Hm.
My parents never had a car. They couldn't afford it, we rarely went on holidays either. That wasn't extraordinary back then and to me and my siblings that was just the way things were.

The issue here, which I apparantly failed to put across, is how the children feel. The social exclusion. - Something Mary has addressed as well.
Just being members of a sportsclub can make a lot of difference for children. An option that some families either are unaware off, unable to or even unwilling to use.

I'm sorry, but what a load of bunk. It sounds nice, but bunk, nonetheless. It is up to the parents, whether poor or not, to give values to their children. I grew up very poor, did not have TV until I was 13 years old and my family had no car until I graduated high school. Class has nothing to do with money. The children should be fed if they are hungry, but "It's also about the children wearing cheap clothing, because the parents cannot afford otherwise." is laughable.

Regarding your post KittyAtlanta, I can only repeat your own words:"I'm sorry, but what a load of bunk".

Regarding marie having gained weight because of the Danish diet ,I think it might be because she is in the family way.A lot of loose fiiting tops these days.

Lovely pictures, Marie looks quite tired but managed to look happy and smiley while arriving. I liked her professional simple outfit.

Muhler said:
as you can see and as usual no security and police in sight.
Muhler, is there usually security & police in sight when Marie attends events?

Hi KittyAtlanta - your post is interesting. I wasn't brought up poor, but in an affluent household. I was however dressed in cheap clothes - because my parents are unpretentious and more concerned with cultural pursuits than material goods. My sisters and I had piano and ballet lessons, had our own horses, went to private schools, and were taken on overseas trips from the age of five. So I agree with you totally, "cheap clothes" are not a marker of poverty but more of values.

Lovely pictures, Marie looks quite tired but managed to look happy and smiley while arriving. I liked her professional simple outfit.

Muhler, is there usually security & police in sight when Marie attends events?

No, and neither with Joachim.
Sometimes with exception of a uniformed officer or two, and clearly more to keep an eye on the traffic.

Okay, I see there is something a of a misunderstanding here.
"Cheap clothes" was perhaps not the best phrase.

All of us who have children know about the power of "fashion" and the "right brand".
You can get hoarse trying to explain to them that cheaper alternatives can look just as good and be just as good, often better. But no, it's not the right brand and all the other children.... - You know the drill.
Now, imagine you are on a very tight budget and you can't afford to buy your children something of the right brand at Christmas or birthdays, let alone regularly. And yet the cool kids at school....
- That was the issue I was trying to explain.

I believe most parent will agree that what is fashionable is not important, but convince your children about that. Peer pressure means an awful lot.
The statistics regarding teenagers shoplifting is a testament to that.

One more thing:
Please keep in mind that many posters do not have English as their first language, so instead of dismissing a post, an explanation or a phrase "as a load of bunk" try instead to give the poster the benefit of doubt and ask for clarification.
There is no need to cause an angry response and start a conflict, is there?

Hi KittyAtlanta - your post is interesting. I wasn't brought up poor, but in an affluent household. I was however dressed in cheap clothes - because my parents are unpretentious and more concerned with cultural pursuits than material goods. My sisters and I had piano and ballet lessons, had our own horses, went to private schools, and were taken on overseas trips from the age of five. So I agree with you totally, "cheap clothes" are not a marker of poverty but more of values.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muhler your post makes it read as though I contributed to the dismissing of a post, and the use of "a load of bunk". To clarify: that comment of Muhler's was referring to an earlier post by someone else and bears no relation to mine.

Muhler your post makes it read as though I contributed to the dismissing of a post, and the use of "a load of bunk". To clarify: that comment of Muhler's was referring to an earlier post by someone else and bears no relation to mine.

True, very true.

I was referring to KittyAtlanta's post - which was taken up by Aotearoagal.

It's so easy to cause a misunderstanding, right? ;)

Princess Marie opened the 18th Odense Blomsterfestival, a flower festival,
in Odense today, August 18. The theme for this year's flower festival is
'China's cultural treasures'.

** fyens.dk: Marie blomstrede ved festival **

True, very true.

I was referring to KittyAtlanta's post - which was taken up by Aotearoagal.

It's so easy to cause a misunderstanding, right? ;)

No harm done! :flowers:

Princess Marie opened the 18th Odense Blomsterfestival, a flower festival,
in Odense today, August 18. The theme for this year's flower festival is
'China's cultural treasures'.

** fyens.dk: Marie blomstrede ved festival **

Marie is really stepping up to the plate and is fast becoming my favourite royal along with Victoria. She looks very natural and unaffected, and clearly enjoys company. Mary is lucky to have a sister-in-law who can pick up some gigs while Mary is on "pre-maternity leave" ! I keep thinking Marie is pregnant too, because of the high-waisted clothes she favours. Then the little tummy goes back down and I realise it's a very healthy French approach to cuisine that is causing Marie's little bulges! Bon appetit chere Marie!

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #33, 2010.
Jeg er blevet mere følsom - I've become more sensitive/emotional.
Written by Henrik Salling, whom I suspect has become a little infactuated by the fair Marie.

Europe has declared 2010 for the year to combat poverty and social isolation and in that connection our Marie showed up at a conference Monday at the townhall in Horsens. (*)
the topic here was poverty among children and social isolation.
She was met with a handful of children and had a chat with them before going inside.
The conference she attended was organised by Horsens municipality and an organisation which aid children in need: BROEN Danmark.
Princess Marie gave the opening speech and said among other things: "We must lend a helping hand to the parents who cannot cope with the task (bringing up or providing for their chilren) themselves".

During the lunch break she had a (apparantly pleasant) talk with our reporter to whom she said: "It's important to put focus on the children who have parents who cannot cope themselves.
- As a mother it's become significantly easier to relate to socially isolated children.
- It's obvious that I have myself become more aware of the issue, after becoming a mother.
- I have always been interested in the conditions of children but as a mother to a small boy you become even more sensitive/aware. That I believe is very natural.
- I'm incredible happy to help bring more attention to the subject. I hope that we with this conference can help children getting a better life on a daily basis".

(*) Located on the east coast of Jutland, so you'll find pics and articles in the local papers. Try Horsens Folkeblad or Jyllands Posten.

Thank you, Paty :flowers:

Indeed her Danish is very good! Correct pronounciation and no grammattical errors. Just a little accent.

Notice how both the reporter and the presenter pronounced Marie's name in Danish.

Princess Marie said: "I'm very proud of it (opening the festival, I presume) because it looks really nice and it's an exciting event, but except for the weather....". We've hade record rainfall these past couple of days here in DK.

Princess Marie in Odense

Billed-Bladet - Odenses børn smeltede prinsesse Maries hjerte

Videos: (It seems Marie is improving her Danish day after day.) It would be great if someone can tell us what Marie said
TV 2/Fyn

TV 2/Fyn

Another nice gallery can be found here, just click on "se flere billeder"

** fyens.dk: Prinsessen var god for et grin **

And as usual, no police in sight. - Not even here in the third largest city.

A sweet little story in BT about Princess Marie at the flower festival:
Chokeret Marie: 'Av' - Royale - BT.dk
There are three pics.

Princess Marie was leaving the townhall in Odense when she spotted an elderly couple with their Bichon Frise in the arms.
Something completely irresistable to the fair Marie, she had to caress the creature. The furry thing did not appreciate the gesture and snapped at her finger. "Ouch" she exclaimed removing her hand. For only a moment later to burst out laughing.

The couple had gone all the way from Silkeborg in central Jutland to see the flower festival and our Marie.

The second picture of the gallery is a mugshot of the culprit.

Indeed her Danish is very good! Correct pronounciation and no grammattical errors. Just a little accent.

Notice how both the reporter and the presenter pronounced Marie's name in Danish.

It's a funny thing because I think I can hear the diference of pronouncing Marie in Danish and French. The Danish pronunciation sounds lovely.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #34, 2010.
Vild med roser - Crazy for roses.
Written by Henrik Salling (Who I suspect is more than willing to write about the fair Marie).

As the Greek wedding will not be covered in earnest until next week and since BB didn't send reporters to Australia there is little to write summaries about this week.

As some of you may have noticed our Marie went to Odense to open the Odense Flower Festival.
The rain was pouring down but somehow the weather gods has taken a fancy of Princess Marie because it stopped raining when la Marie came, thus not spoilling her arrival.
Recieved by the obligatory flowergirl, the mayor of Odense, Anker Boye and lots of locals the Marie opened the Festival and was shown around shielded by umbrellas. She said: "I'm very proud to be a part of the opening. It's a very neat and exciting event, eventhough it rains".
She also confided to us: "My favourite flowers are roses but I like many different flowers" but should would not disclose whether the rose named after her was her favourite.
As the theme of the festival this year is China, Marie was presented to a fortune cookie, which read: "Man is the only animal that can blush. Or who needs that ability".

A note tells us that silk-clutch Marie carried is from Bottega Veneta.

While Marie was in Odense, her Joachim was about 100 kilometres away, in Esbjerg on the occassion of the 100 anniversary of an art museum there. But as Joachim is a male and didn't wear a dress, this is all the coverage we get.

Last edited:
Princess Marie will hand over the HC Andersen Literature Prize to J.K. Rowling on October 19, at Odense Concert Hall.

The Award is bestowed to writers throughout the world, whose writings can be attached to HC Andersen's name and life's work . The price is organized by the private H.C. Andersen 's Literature Committee. This is the first edition of the Prize

Prinsesse Marie overrækker pris til Harry Potters mor - Politiken.dk

Harry Potter author gets Danish honour

The city of Odense has for a number of years held a Harry Potter Festival and the prize will be presented while this festival takes place.
During the festival, children can play that they are students at Hogwarts, including going for a ride on the Hogwart express.
Rowling will give a speech at the event.

I see that the fair Marie is taking over more and more in that part of the country, i.e. Southern Jutland and now Funen.

Last edited:
Than you, Iceflower :flowers:

Summary of article in Fyens Amtsavis.
Prins Henrik med mor til Babymesse - Prince Henrik with mother to baby-convention
Written by Tim Visti.

It was a surprised that Princes Marie turned up at the convention in the village of Fjerritslev on the island of Funen with her son, Henrik. (About 1½ hour by car from Schackenborg or Copenhagen).
The interest from the media was high, but despite having just begun to walk, Bette henrik took all the attention in his stride sitting safely and comfortable on mum's arm.

Our Marie's visite was scheduled to last 45 minuttes, but there was so much of interest that it lasted over an hour, interrupted by a short break for Marie (and the photographers) to catch her breath.

Being a mother Marie was very interested at the various items that were exhibited and she did indeed get a couple of gifts.
Now, Henrik is not without a reason son of Joachim, whom we all know like to race. When the wee Henrik spotted a baby-bed shaped as a red racing car, his eyes lit up and he fell in love on the spot! He crawled into the bed and was pretty pleased.

Mother Marie said afterwards: "Here are so many creative things and I've seen so much I'd like to buy, but unfortunately there wasn't much room", refferring to the wall of press around her.

(I see that the microphone Henrik is trying to get his hand on is from TV2 Fyn, so this will be on the local news tonight I guess).

To TV2 Fyn, Marie said: "It has been fantastic fun to look at Danish fashion for children and Henrik has enjoyed looking at toys along with all the other children".

I notice that security for Marie and her Henrik was provided by a couple of private security guards attached to the convention.

Princess Marie has visited the Baby and Child Fair today, September 26,
and guess who was with her - cute little Henrik! What a nice surprise! :)

** tv2fyn.dk: Prinsesse Marie shopper børnetøj på Fyn **

** fyens.dk: Prins Henrik med mor til babymesse **

** fyens.dk picture gallery **

** ppe picture gallery **

Nice mother and beautiful child:flowers:
I hope she will have another child because she seems a very good and loving mother and it seems Joachim makes beautiful babies:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom