The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #341  
Old 02-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 159
I dont think Alexandra is so eager to stay in the spotlight.
Otherwise she wouldnt give up her Princess title to marry a commoner.
(And through this marriage she has to pay a lot of tax !!)
Its not fair to say that every girl who decided to marry a prince likes to become the focus of the spotlight.
Does CP Mary like the spotlight? Does Mette-Marit like the spotlight?
I would rather say that they understand and accept that being the media focus will be part of their lives if they marry their princes.
Besides, nobody likes to be photographed 24 hours a day. Its normal that the prominents welcome the media when they attend public events, but the media are not welcomed in some other occasions. This kind of reactions towards media is human. I dont consider this a point to criticise.
__________________

  #342  
Old 02-23-2007, 03:57 PM
christinacg's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
I know about all that. I was responding to someone saying that they didn't think the thread title should change, once Alexandra marries.
No, I didn't mean that it shouldn't be changed. I meant that I don't want it to be changed, because I think its going to be sad when Alexandra officially loses her status as Princess. I fully understand why though.


I didn't see this posted yet; Alexandra has resigned from 8 of her 24 patronages. I wonder which ones and why she chose them.
__________________

  #343  
Old 02-24-2007, 05:31 AM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg
I didn't see this posted yet; Alexandra has resigned from 8 of her 24 patronages. I wonder which ones and why she chose them.
http://www.bt.dk/article/20070223/ROYALT/70223029/0/A

Fonden For Trer Og Milj (Association for trees and environment) and Det Danske Haveselskab (The Danish Garden Society) are two of the patronages which has reported back to BT that they will no longer have Alexandra's official support.

Dansk Blindeforbund (Danish Association for the Blind) and Unicef are two of the patronages she'll keep, according to Billedbladet.
__________________
  #344  
Old 02-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: newyork, United States
Posts: 479
What time is the wedding taking place?
  #345  
Old 02-24-2007, 09:48 AM
BurberryBrit's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: onthenet, United States
Posts: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
Hm i think it is her own fault..IF she wants to stay in the spotligth of the press an wants to have a nobel titel and be invitet to all the grand balls in the royal family why in the heck is she going to marry Martin ?
What is she going to do when he is leaving her for another woman ?
Obviously, she is not marrying for a title or for money since she's giving those things up. She's marrying for love. Who cares if she's Princess or Countess? She was born a commoner. IMO a title doesn't make a person who they are. She made the title by her work and her poise, not the other way around. Alexandra is ready to move on so maybe we should to.
__________________
Fr Gott, Frst und Vaterland

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
  #346  
Old 02-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 156
I agree with BurberryBrit------its time for us all to move on.
I am sure we will still see Alexandra.People will still be curious about her,she is still The Mother of two princes.
  #347  
Old 02-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: newyork, United States
Posts: 479
I agree she has chosen to change her life and I wish her the best of luck in her new life and marriage.
  #348  
Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
Alexandra may have thought before marrying Joachim that she would enjoy the life of a Princess a lot more than she actually enjoyed it once she was the Princess.

We all have made mistakes that we would like something and then when we got into it, found we really didn't like it.

When its a marriage, its a bit more serious to back out of it and leave. A marriage is not something to leave on a whim, but I'm sure Alexandra and Joachim thought about it a great deal before they separated as I'm sure Alexandra and Martin thought about it a great deal before they announced their marriage.

Alexandra doesn't seem like the tempetuous type of person.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #349  
Old 02-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 549
It seems that the patronages she gave up recently are small ones. Does anyone have a complete list of those patronages?

We don't know the full story of course, but to me it would seem to be more prudent to announce that she no longer wishes to be given the allowance from the Danish government before she starts resigning from a number of her patronages (because her work is the main reason why she continues to receive the allowance).

But who knows - maybe it has already been raised with the government. Or maybe she doesn't want to give up the allowance. We don't know all that yet (if we ever will).
  #350  
Old 02-24-2007, 11:07 PM
jmj21983's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: everywhere, United States
Posts: 61
Why should she have to give up her allowance? She is still keeping over half of her patronages. Her allowance is also going to be taxed, so that takes a large portion of the money.
  #351  
Old 02-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 549
Perhaps she shouldn't give up all of her allowance then - perhaps she should give up 1/3 of it (to reflect the fact that she's losing 1/3 of her patronages).

As for the taxation aspect - that's another matter entirely. She won't be royal anymore after her marriage, therefore she will pay tax. To say that her allowance shouldn't be reduced because she'll be hit with extra tax after her second marriage puts her back on the same footing as her royal days doesn't it? But she won't be, and an argument that a reduction of her duties to compensate for the tax payable is not fair to the rest of the non-royal tax-paying Danes.

But its for the Danes to decide of course. Personally - I just don't think I'd feel right keeping on receiving the same amount of allowance. But that's just me personally.
  #352  
Old 02-24-2007, 11:58 PM
jmj21983's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: everywhere, United States
Posts: 61
Are you saying that just because she is reducing her patronages she won't be working as hard? Just because someone has a long list of patronages does not mean they work harder than someone who has less. Maybe this will give Alexandra the chance to give even more time and effort to causes she truly cares about.
  #353  
Old 02-25-2007, 12:19 AM
sara1981's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North Little Rock, United States
Posts: 3,448
well

its so rough question for me but Princess Alexandra will have less patron when she getting married again to Martin like late Diana,Princess of Wales had it before she got divorces what Diana wanted favorites charity to funds for raise what needs!
  #354  
Old 02-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 549
I believe that the decision to give Alex an allowance was influenced heavily by the amount of public appearances she did in the years leading up to the divorce. If the circumstances have changed, then yes, I think the allowance should be reviewed.

Why do I think the circumstances have changed? Well without further information (e.g. patronages saying "yes, she does a lot of work with us behind the scenes), the only thing we have upon which we can base our decisions on is what we have available, including (i) the number of patronages (the assumption being the more patronages, the more work there is), and (ii) the number of public appearances. Reduction of public appearances and reduction of the number of patronages is likely to make me think "yep, allowance should be reduced". Its only reasonable.

Giving such a large allowance to a soon to be private citizen is not an absolute right - therefore the onus of proving that the allowance should continue to be given is on that person, IMO. It should not be up to me to prove that she has not reduced her work.

But then again the Danish government gave her the allowance without reference to what it is exactly she has to do to continue receiving that allowance. So perhaps its possible to do whatever it is she wants to do and still continue receiving that allowance. The Danes are very generous people it seems.
  #355  
Old 02-25-2007, 12:25 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
I think Alexandra is scaling down her public works gradually. I wouldn't be surprised if later she dropped all her patronages and her allowance and returned to being a totally private citizen - albeit one with two princes as sons and a title as Countess.

It looks like she's downgrading her lifestyle gradually and inevitably its happening too quickly for some and too slowly for others.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #356  
Old 02-25-2007, 01:05 AM
jmj21983's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: everywhere, United States
Posts: 61
But my point is, just because she is reducing her patronages that does not mean she is working less. What is wrong with devoting oneself to several key causes, as opposed to putting one's name on any organization that looks good? Of course there are many great orginaztions and great causes to support, but the more you add on, less time and energy can be devoted to causes one has already chosen to take on. Frederik and Joachim do not do very many public engagments, yet they are constantly given the benefit of a doubt that they must be working hard behind the scenes. Why has Alexandra not being given the benefit of a doubt as well? Because she is not photographed means she does nothing? Of course her allowance is not a god given right but she is still the mother of the Queen's two oldest grandsons and at least for their sake should still be a part of a certain lifestyle. I don't see why she should still be expected to work as hard as every other member of the Danish royal family, despite the fact she is no longer a member of that family and gets none of the perks, and gets taxed heavily.
  #357  
Old 02-25-2007, 01:10 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
I don't think it is that Alexandra is not being given the benefit of the doubt...but its natural to assume that if one reduces the number of patronages, the amount of work involved would reduce also.

That may not be exactly true...as you say she can increase the work on the patronages that she is keeping....but I think it is a fair assumption that dropping some patronages reduces a royal's workload no matter who the royal is.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #358  
Old 02-25-2007, 05:33 AM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasl
(e.g. patronages saying "yes, she does a lot of work with us behind the scenes),
Several of the patronages have said that she does do a lot of work for them behind the scenes. It was mentioned that she was not content with being a royal "figurehead", as certain other royals, but that she wanted to be more involved. I think it was unicef who mentioned it, in an interview with either Billed Bladet or BT. And the two patronages that she dropped that were interviewed, also mentioned that it would be a huge loss, because she'd been so involved.

I find that it is sort of the same discussion that keeps labeling Frederik lazy - just because we don't see pictures of everything, doesn't mean that the royals aren't involved and working. The royal work isn't something that is exclusively done in front of a camera.
__________________
  #359  
Old 02-25-2007, 05:49 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 2,383
Many aristocratic women have patronages - it is not just for royals. It is a way of life for them - just as much as royal balls and wearing family jewels including tiaras.
  #360  
Old 02-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj21983
Are you saying that just because she is reducing her patronages she won't be working as hard? Just because someone has a long list of patronages does not mean they work harder than someone who has less. Maybe this will give Alexandra the chance to give even more time and effort to causes she truly cares about.
Good point!
Quality is more important than quantity.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Alexandra Current Events Part 6 Mandy Princess Caroline and Family 502 10-03-2016 09:08 AM
Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 7: November 2006 - March 2007 Lasse Pedersen Current Events Archive 397 03-20-2007 04:19 AM
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 5: May - December 2006 Mandy Current Events Archive 433 12-19-2006 02:23 PM
Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 3: November 2004 - May 2005 Mandy Current Events Archive 513 05-26-2005 06:24 PM
Princess Alexandra, Current Events 1: November 2002 - May 2005 kelly9480 Current Events Archive 559 05-18-2005 12:03 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece infanta elena style kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel 2015 nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince philip princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess tatiana queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima gowns queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark stockholm succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises