The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Princess Mary, is that you?

Of course, I meant 'entitled'-seeming. If you don't remember what 'entitled' means because Danish is taking up most of your brain these days, I recommend www.dictionary.com. Jeez. Not everyone here speaks English like a native Aussie.

Speaking of language, what I've always wanted to know: Does Alexandra speak Danish with her boys? I know that Grace Kellyfor example always spoke English with her kids, never French, which was after all the official language in Monaco..
I hope Alex speak German and English with her darling boys. It is such an advantage to be able to speak several languages fluently.
I wished I had known this fact when I was young. :(

Old 01-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_platinum
(as posted by fanletizia)

http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebri...agina_5_1.html

Princess Alexandra is considered Hello's Names & Faces to Know in 2006

Most-watched royal
PRINCESS ALEXANDRA

Despite her divorce from Denmark's Prince Joachim Princess Alexandra is still very much in the Scandinavian family's royal fold. She continues to appear at events alongside her former husband and in-laws, fully embracing her charitable duties and official royal role. But all eyes are on the 41-year-old divorcee as royal watchers wait to find out what will happen if the mum-of-two's relationship with hunky photographer Martin Joergensen, 15 years her junior, gets even more serious in the coming year
I think that it's so sad that the focus in 2006 in not on Princess Alexandra's continued excellence as a representative of Denmark...but on her relationship with her present boyfriend! Princess Alexandra is much more than that...as well as all of the other crown princesses and princesses who are greatly contributing to their respective monarchies!

Old 01-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattica28
I think that it's so sad that the focus in 2006 in not on Princess Alexandra's continued excellence as a representative of Denmark...but on her relationship with her present boyfriend! Princess Alexandra is much more than that...as well as all of the other crown princesses and princesses who are greatly contributing to their respective monarchies!
Sadly, it is these stories that sell papers and magazines. :(
Old 01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajames
I hope Alex speak German and English with her darling boys. It is such an advantage to be able to speak several languages fluently.
I wished I had known this fact when I was young. :(
A/c to an interview Alex did with Hello magazine a few years ago, she speaks Danish to her sons so that they are just like their classmates with a Danish-speaking mother. Their grandfather CP Henrik and Joachim do speak French to the boys
Old 01-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Times2222
A/c to an interview Alex did with Hello magazine a few years ago, she speaks Danish to her sons so that they are just like their classmates with a Danish-speaking mother. Their grandfather CP Henrik and Joachim do speak French to the boys
Wow, Alex speaking Danish to the kids and Joachim French..now <there's> a factoid that truly surprises me, thanks Times2222!

I bet Joachim's French must be pretty flawless as, after all, he must have communicated in French with Henrik probably from the get-go. But Alexandra and Danish...although I think it's certainly admirable of her to do this so that her boys won't feel so different from their peers, I can only hope her Danish is by now up to par. I personally would rather have a parent who would communicate with me more or less flawlessly in his or her own native tongue, than a parent who gets the new language wrong and I automatically thus copy the grammar mistakes and stuff..

MelissaJames was saying up thread she hoped Alex would be communicating in either English or German. And I have to say, that would make most sense to me as well..
Old 01-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Courtier

Maybe Alexandra and Joachim have decided that one of them (as parents) has to speak Danish with their children since the children are Danish born princes (in my opinion it is not good if Danish born prince doesn't speak Danish very well eventhough they speak other languages well). I hope the little princes speak German with their maternal grandma and speak English with maternal grandpa, as I know so far a multilingual person gains more benefit in their life.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Heir Apparent

"Princess Alexandra is considered Hello's Names & Faces to Know in 2006"

That's good to see! I can remember when she got married and it's nice to know that even though she's divorced she will still be around.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Wow, Alex speaking Danish to the kids and Joachim French..now <there's> a factoid that truly surprises me, thanks Times2222!

But Alexandra and Danish...although I think it's certainly admirable of her to do this so that her boys won't feel so different from their peers, I can only hope her Danish is by now up to par. I personally would rather have a parent who would communicate with me more or less flawlessly in his or her own native tongue, than a parent who gets the new language wrong and I automatically thus copy the grammar mistakes and stuff..

MelissaJames was saying up thread she hoped Alex would be communicating in either English or German. And I have to say, that would make most sense to me as well..
Alex is fluent in Danish. She regularly gives television interviews in Danish.
Part of her popularity is her ability to master Danish. BTW, Alex is fluent in German from her mother. German and Danish have some similarity.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Times2222
Alex is fluent in Danish. She regularly gives television interviews in Danish.
Part of her popularity is her ability to master Danish. BTW, Alex is fluent in German from her mother. German and Danish have some similarity.
indeed. i saw a half hour long interview with her speaking danish. i was blown away by her mastery of the language. she and maxima are at the same level i think. both linguistic geniuses.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

English is Alex's mother tongue and she's also fluent in German, and I hope the little princes will be able to utilise this advantage. :p

I was hoping it would be enough for the princes to learnt to speak Danish at school/kindergarden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
indeed. i saw a half hour long interview with her speaking danish. i was blown away by her mastery of the language. she and maxima are at the same level i think. both linguistic geniuses.
Is the interview available online? I would love to hear Alex speak Danish :p
Thank you

I think both Alex and Maxima are very lucky that they have been exposed to many languages very earlier on in life and have had to speak them very well.

Alex's mum speaks German, her nanny spoke Chinese and she attended an international school in HK.

Maxima worked in New York and I think she might have studied in the US as well if she have not learnt English at school/university.

Hence they had a big advantage when learning Danish/Dutch, but of course they must have talent too!
Old 01-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
English is Alex's mother tongue and she's also fluent in German, and I hope the little princes will be able to utilise this advantage. :p

I was hoping it would be enough for the princes to learnt to speak Danish at school/kindergarden.
indeed. it goes without saying that they will pick up danish. though i think it would cause of scandal if the press realized the little tots only spoke english. dont you think?
Old 01-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
indeed. it goes without saying that they will pick up danish. though i think it would cause of scandal if the press realized the little tots only spoke english. dont you think?
Very true. No matter how good the logical reasoning behind it may sound, I can see how Danes might be very offended.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Very true. No matter how good the logical reasoning behind it may sound, I can see how Danes might be very offended.
indeed. there were even some people trying to kick up a fuss (fortunately it went nowhere) about the fact that Maxima was speaking spanish to Amalia on the video taken off her stolen digital camara.

of course Amalia's yelling "Ik ben amalia" to the press put to rest any doubt about which language she speaks.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here are some pictures of Alexandra, her mother and the boys going to Nikolais christmas celebrations at his school

Pics from Billebladet 52
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	223538  
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Aristocracy

Alex's mum looks a little fragile.
I hope her health is ok as I have heard that her father was not very well last year. :(
Old 01-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Commoner

I think mink coat is back. I've seen more and more women wearing fur coat these days.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azur
I think mink coat is back. I've seen more and more women wearing fur coat these days.
its back in a huge way! (though it never went out of style in the danish royal family)

I know alexandra got 2 fur coats from the danish fur assocation for her wedding.
I wish she wouldnt wear fur but oh well. its her choice and it is a lovely coat.

fur is so traditionally associated with royalty that one the of the areas where they can indulge in ostentatious displays of wealth. they have to keep it sober in a lot of other areas.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Some may have been drawn to Alexandra's mink coat but I thoguht her boots were gorgeous!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Alex is really a funky mommy... she looks younger by the ages...

There hasn't been an event scheduled for Alex in January, probably not yet. but, i hope to see her on & about soon...
Old 01-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
Some may have been drawn to Alexandra's mink coat but I thoguht her boots were gorgeous!
bUWHahahAh that was my first thought as well!! hehe i'm not a fan of fur coats...they're not even nice