The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 02:43 PM
Courtier

the Poster Lukaz posted this over at SRMB, it's a telling look I think, at what a person goes through when they marry into a foreign royal family.
Scandanavian Royals Message Board

Old 09-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Majesty

Lets move it to Alexandra News thread,

what did you think about the article?

Quote:
"I miss Hong Kong", says Denmark's Princess Alexandra

COPENHAGEN (AFP) - Princess Alexandra, who left her native Hong Kong to marry Denmark's Prince Joachim in 1995, likes her new life in Scandinavia but still misses home terribly.
"When I see a sequence on television showing the Hong Kong waterfront, my heart beats faster. It's a good thing I don't see that too often," she told the free daily MetroXpress on the sidelines of the "Images of Asia" festival currently underway in several Danish cities.
The 39-year-old princess, born Alexandra Manley to a Chinese father and Austrian mother, said the things she misses most about Hong Kong are "the smells, the sounds, the sites, the food and the people", as well as Chinese New Year celebrations.
"I miss the cuisine a lot, even if Asian food is, thank goodness, very popular in Europe, especially in Denmark. But I love black eggs, which you never see in Europe," she said.
A mother of two boys, four-year-old Prince Nikolai and one-year-old Prince Felix, the princess said she hopes her background would somehow be a part of their education.
She would like to see them "learn to appreciate the multicultural life in Asia, the energy and rhythm that characterizes Hong Kong," she said.
"A large part of the Asian population is under the age of 25, which gives young people a lot of influence on music, fashion, trends, almost all areas. And our children must be inspired by this dynamism," she said.
While she enjoys her visits to Hong Kong immensely, the princess, who now speaks Danish fluently, said she has made Denmark her new home.
"Denmark is my life now, my future."
"It is however difficult to never live in Hong Kong again. It was a big decision to leave, but I made that decision and it was my choice," she stressed, adding that "Danes have welcomed me with open arms from the start".
"I can only return their kindness and generosity by saying that I like being in this country, I feel Danish now," she said.

Old 09-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Thanks Josephine.
I think it's very scary in a way. I mean, we all know that people have to sacrifice stuff when they marry foreign royals, but, the idea of never being able to live in your old home ever again, and missing stuff that you took for granted while you were there, and you can't get them, is very sobering. Makes me question why we'd want to marry foreign princes and become princesses, ya know?
Old 09-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Courtier

That's why I think Mary Donaldson moved to Denmark. She needed to see if she liked it and could get used to living there. It's better for her to find out now then to later wish she wouldn't have married Frederik.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

Knowing how close the two brothers are - I am convinced Alexandra's experiences and ideas on her own move to Denmark 8 years ago - is part of Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson's decision to let Mary have some years to get to know the danish society.

Princess Alexandra gave birth to her first child after 4 years - and when asked why it took so long time - she answered that she had not been ready earlier - because it took her so long to adapt to the danish culture.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Coppyright Imagien Scandinavia / Henrik Hildebrandt / 10045 / Princess Alexandra of Denmark at Bella Center in Copehagen today for the Goldsmithers Championship for Denmark.

Coppyright Imagien Scandinavia / Henrik Hildebrandt / 10045 / Princess Alexandra of Denmark at Bella Center in Copehagen today for the Goldsmithers Championship for Denmark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01_Princess_Alexandra_9.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	15201   Click image for larger version

Name:	01_Princess_Alexandra_4.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	15202  
Old 09-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Commoner

Hi Alexandria.

Thank you so much for posting the very nice photos from Bella center 1 sep..
Lotte.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Courtier

Look at her dress.I like it very much.Very beautiful.It is so simple yet it's perfect for her. She looks great when wearing dresses with stripes or dots. The part of her body I also like is her legs..

Look at this picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sexy.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	15490  
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 09-04-2003, 01:05 PM
Courtier

I like her shoes! those are awesome.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:37 PM
Courtier

I thought they looked very regal. Yes, the lighting was a bit severe and they weren't as smiling as normal, but, they looked good.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:42 AM
Aristocracy

Perhaps Joachim looks a bit severe, but I think Alex looks absolutely wonderful. The dress she is wearing is beautiful. I love the embroidery and the way the fabric falls. As for wrinkles, there are a few, but I doubt they are due to tights. If Alex were wearing tights, the veins on the top of her foot would not be so apparent.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:12 AM
Courtier

I like her because she has a sense of fashion. Her dress even when simple always goes with how she looks..Her shoes has always attracted me..Color goes always with the dress.
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 09-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Majesty

She is looking beautiful.

Have Alexandra ever taken part of a state visit to Denmark?
Old 09-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Courtier

Arriving for the meeting

during the meeting
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	car.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	15681   Click image for larger version

Name:	debate.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	15682  
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 09-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Commoner

Hi.

Alexandra has a great taste in clothes

Lotte
Old 09-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Commoner

So many nice photos at once she is doing a lot of work these days..
Great for us.. who likes Princess Alexandra of Denmark.
Thanks for posting them..

Lotte.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Commoner

Hi .

More news Alexandra did an interview with 2 children for tv.
They interviewed her and asked her what her look was about children in poor countrys.

It is going to be on danish tv DR sep 20 " Fjernsyn for dig "

Lotte
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2003, 05:58 PM
Commoner

Princess Alexandra

My Denmark

Princess Alexandra is enthusiastic about Denmark, her new home. In this exclusive interview she describes her initial reaction to Denmark and the Danes.

“What is typically Danish? The things that first spring to mind are Lego toys, beer, football and Danish pastry”.

Princess Alexandra’s answer comes promptly and without hesitation – and in perfect / flawless / faultless Danish. Se even masters the difficult pronunciation completely.

Today she gives an exclusive interview to Danmarks Turistråd (The Danish Tourist Board) and receives us at Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen. We have been seated in the sofa corner in Carl the 15th’s hall, and the Princess herself pours the coffee.

Charming, spontaneous, beautiful and professional to the fingertips / every inch professional …. Since Princess Alexandra was introduced to the world as Prince Joachim’s fiancée on 31 May 1995, she has been described again and again in Danish and foreign media. Now, more than a year after the wedding, it is her turn to comment on us, the Danes.

“How would you describe Denmark and the Danes?”

“Denmark is a lovely and well-organized country, and I see the Danes as very straightforward and friendly people. Everybody is very helpful. Open and cheerful / good-humoured”.

She is clearly enthusiastic about her new “home” country and is more than willing to comment on the many things that have impressed her.

“What parts of Denmark do you show your relatives when they visit you?”

“Of course, it is mainly the area around Schackenborg Palace, where we live. Our guests are just as fascinated as myself by the very special / the quite extraordinary scenery in Southern Jutland, which is probably the flattest area in Denmark. I have never seen a place with so much open sky. The weather changes constantly. One moment it is sunshine, the next rain and hail showers. It is just so beautiful. Another thing that our guests are attracted by is, of course, the North Sea. Last winter we had / made a wonderful trip / excursion / outing to the North Sea, where everything was covered in / by ice / there was ice all over. It was very much like the North Pole. Altogether the changing seasons make a great impression on me. We haven’t got anything like it in Hong Kong”.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:47 AM
Courtier

Toender, Denmark - Princess Alexandra opened the Soroptimist-Rally, a orientation-rallye for women in costumes, driving funny cars, in Toender today. The event rises money for UNICEF.

Aabenraa, Denmark - Princess Alexandra visited Dansk Blindesamfund, the "The Danish Association of the Blind", that she is the protector for. While she was at the Aabenraa-center of the organisation she visited the Darkness Cafe, where normal sighted people can experience how its is to be blind.
Attached Images

~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 01-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Gentry

That's quite a dress.

I've always found it amazing how Princess Alexandra's half Chinese half Austrian. Prince Joachim married an Eurasian. That always made me curious, but I find her extremely pretty. Does anyone have pictures of her when she was younger?

Closed Thread

Tags
current events, princess alexandra