Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, Part 1: February 2012 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
he is saying that the catholic school also as protestants because it's the best school thus is private too.

Are you implying that they are raising their children Catholic?
No, I´m not implying that they are raising their childrne catholic, but simply as rchainho wrote: That they chose the catholic because the education is the best.

She is saying that the catholic school also as protestants because it's the best school thus is private too.
Thank you and yes :flowers:

In my opinion it is little snobish that M&J chose private school which cost much money. I know that his older children go to private school like his father and uncle (many years ago) but they spend a lot of money again (new house and problems with last residence). Education is very important - it's true and ok - they want catholic school because it is very good and education is on high level, but they could chose public catholic school which is good too.
CP Frederik and CP Mary chose public school for his two older children, so why Joachim must chose private? And catholic school when they are protestants? I read that there are children who are protestants in this school, but it can be very difficult for child like Henrik (young) to understand something about another religion- I supouse that subjects contain religion.

[Somebody wrote that Marie isn't protestant? She didn't change her religion before wedding??? :ermm: It is probably in Denmark that people have church wedding but bride or groom (one of the pair) isn't protestant?]

Athena's hair always messy... :sad:

Last edited:
:previous: Did some research at the school website: Of the 328 children who attend the school, only 28 are Catholic and the school accepts children of all religions. The subject Christianity (Kristendom) will be introduced from 1st grade but that's a subject mandatory at your average state school as well (and is the Danish primary education's version of the subject Religion and for the life of me, I don't know why they don't just make it Religion rather than Christianity – when I was in the student council at my school, I actually proposed a change but of course no one listened to me :whistling:). The school's aim (as translated from the website): "The school builds all it work on the Catholic-Christian view on life and humanity, and has, as its special characteristics, the purpose of creating a value-based school environment in which the Gospel's spirit of freedom and love is alive." So the way I see it, they're not being forced-fed the actual religion but taught the values of the religion :)

As I've mentioned before, I'm not too fond of the private school aspect myself but not because it's a Catholic one. If anything, I think it's only natural that Marie, who's been educated on Catholic schools herself, would want her children to be educated with the same values.

I think it is benificial for Christian and siblings, specifically the latter, to go to public school.. He is can develope an early understanding and connection with subjects he will reign over and they will see him as a people's king who came up very similar to them. And it is darn good public relations at that.

Joachims children will never be in that position barring some catastrophe. When they grow up they will be very rich socialites who only show up occasionally at big Royal events and won't really need to associate with or
understand middle class or lower concerns unless they choose to.

I think J&M, just like most other parents, first and foremost look at the best education and schools they can get. If that is a public school, fine. If it's a private school, so be it.

It is (unfortunately) a fact that in the cities and larger towns those parents who can tend to send their children to private schools. If for no other reason than that private schools tend to attract better teachers and pupils that are, shall we say, less problematic.
Also because the parents can pick schools that better suit the needs the parents wish for than public schools where the teaching for obvious reasons tend to be more bland.

It's been many, many years since Catholic schools had such a strong emphasis on Catholicism that it would make a particular difference for a Protestant, atheist or Muslim child.
In fact before Muslim private schools became common, quite a few Muslims preferred private Christian schools because of the (albeit limited) emphasis on religion.

Another thing is that private schools are heavily subsidized. Even people with relative lower income can afford to send their child to one. The more elitist boarding schools like Herlufsholm or Sorø are expensive, but still not nearly as expensive as similar Swiss or British boarding schools.
IIRC the monthly fee for bette Henrik is a very affordable 1.600-1.700 DKK a month plus additional relatively minor expenses. (I.e some 300 $ a month)

I don't have the figures at hand, but I'd say more than 20 % of Danish school children now attend private schools, so J&M's choice can hardly be snobbish.

And let's make this clear: The school where M&F send their children is not an average public school. It's one of the best public school in DK, located in a very affluent neighborhood, with pupils mainly from affluent and socially strong families.

Last edited:
Last edited:
How come you call her our Marie?

How come you call her our Marie?

It originally started as in insider joke from back before J&M even got married. (I will not disclose why). Now it's very much meant as an endearment used by me. :)

The only times I do not use "our Marie" is when I'm being very serious or angry.

(and is the Danish primary education's version of the subject Religion and for the life of me, I don't know why they don't just make it Religion rather than Christianity)
They don´t change it from "Christianity" to "Religion", because there is a difference :) In "Christianity" you learn about Christianity and in "Religion" you learn about other religions too.
At the catholic school I attended as a child the protestants students and the catholic students were being educated apart from each other in "Christianity". In my class we were around 20 protestants and 2-3 catholics. We were two classes at every year (1.X/1.Y aso), and X/Y had "Christianity" at the same time, so the 2-3 catholics from our class went to christianity class with the 2-3 catholics from X :)

And let's make this clear: The school where M&F send their children is not an average public school. It's one of the best public school in DK, located in a very affluent neighborhood, with pupils mainly from affluent and socially strong families.

And I believe a rule or two was bent to allow Christian and Isabella to attend this particular school in the first place. Don't they technically live outside the catchment zone?

And I believe a rule or two was bent to allow Christian and Isabella to attend this particular school in the first place. Don't they technically live outside the catchment zone?

They do, but you are allowed to sign in your children at schools outside your area, provided there is room.
IIRC there strictly speaking wasn't a vacant chair for Christian, so a place was made for him, so that he wouldn't take someone else's place.
And everybody was happy.
The school was delighted.
The Ministry of Education was delighted.
The government was delighted, even though an embarrassing number of those who advocated sending children to public school instead send their kids to private schools...
The opposition thought it was pretty cool as well.
The general public also thought it was a good idea.

No such considerations were necessary for Isabella, because with a sibling already going to the school, she was put high on the list.

And everybody was happy.
The school was delighted.
The Ministry of Education was delighted.
The government was delighted, even though an embarrassing number of those who advocated sending children to public school instead send their kids to private schools...
The opposition thought it was pretty cool as well.
The general public also thought it was a good idea.
What would the reaction have been if Christian had been put in a catholic shool?

What would the reaction have been if Christian had been put in a catholic shool?

Not that much.

I can well imagine some priests and religious groups would find it very inappropriate that Christian as future heir and as such head of the Lutheran state church should attend a Catholic school.
But that would end once it was realized that this a Catholic school but not a religious school.

As for Christian attending a private school. That was more or less expected. Since Christian is the first DRF child to go to a public school there would be no precedence.
And those who strongly advocated people sending their children to public school could hardly say anything as they themselves send their own children to private school.
The right wing opposition would have no problems, as they politically would support parent's right to send their children to private schools.

Not that much.

I can well imagine some priests and religious groups would find it very inappropriate that Christian as future heir and as such head of the Lutheran state church should attend a Catholic school.
But that would end once it was realized that this a Catholic school but not a religious school.
I totally agree with you, Muhler :flowers: And will add that if some priests would´ve said something then I bet that Erik Normann Svendsen ( :wub: ) would have told them to keep their mouth shut (in a nicer way than I wrote) and he would have back up from all the bishops and the majority (99%) of the priests :)

Summary of two articles in Billed Bladet #34, 2015.
Written by Karina Didriksen.

While M&F went to a baptism Saturday, Joachim and Alexandra visited their oldest son at the boarding school of Herlufsholm. This is the first of a number of events in the school year where parents are invited.

The whole thing started with a procession for the high school students. High School in DK lasts three years. The senior students in front and the freshmen, who Nikolai belongs to in the rear.
The rain poured down, but by noon when Nikolai got to meet his parents the weather was fine.
Nikolai got a manly hug from dad, who had brought along bette Henrik and Athena, who really has started to smile! There is a sweet picture of Nikolai hugging his half-sister. Felix was not present.
Nikolai told the wee ones: "There is a bouncy-castle". Bette Henrik was a bit hesitant: "Yeah, if there aren't any big boys...". So Nikolai had to explain that there are indeed many big boys at the school, but that he would look after them.

Then it was off for a lunch before the family posed for a picture and Nikolai led his younger half-siblings by the hands to where the action was.
In the meantime Joachim and Alexandra talked about their son.
Alexandra said: "Yes, we miss him of course but it's easier to cope without him, when we can see how well he is thriving here. And then he comes home every second weekend, so it could be worse.
And he is only an hours drive away, so we sometimes come down here to have dinner with him at the school".

Later in the afternoon hot chocolate and cake was served for the parents before it was time for them to leave at 17.00.
In the evening there was a ball for the pupils and students.

Joachim and Alexandra drove together.

---------------------

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #34, 2015.
Written by Dorte Quist.

As you know Friday was bette Henrik's first day at school and I will skip what he said, because that has already been covered.

Bette Henrik won't be among complete strangers because for two weeks prior to starting at the school he had attended to after-school-playtime arrangement = SFO, so he said: "I already have good friends over there".

Henrik was very proud of his red Ferrari school bag, even though our Marie admitted: "It is a bit large, but he wanted that one".

There are two 0 grade classes at Sankt Joseph Søstrenes Skole, and he will be one of 23 pupils in his class.
Apart from his regular class-teacher (the teacher who is heading the team of teachers attached to this particular class) his class also has a pedagogue attached.
And each pupil has been attached a buddy from 5th grade to look after and help them.
Hours are from 08.10-13.05 and that includes five lessons of Danish, arithmetic, art and athletics. And afterwards Henrik can attend the SFO until 17.00.

The deputy principal of the school, Rene Engell, tells about the school: "It is in particular of clear values within caring and togetherness, the common social interaction and the Christian community and also the well-being of the children that are the reasons parents chose to place their children in our school.
These are things the parents look for. In an environment as Gentofte municipality (I.e. wealthy!) where almost all our pupils live, there are many pupils who have a lot. that's why many parents are pleased with our clear values. You should be careful not to full of yourself, when you have that much, but instead be aware of what values that really matters to the children".

J&M have spend part of the summer moving in at their new home. The house is 344 square meters, plus 183 square meters of basement and 79 square meters of newly renovated space in the attic.
the 2.500 square meters of ground includes a swimming pool.

Summary of two articles in Billed Bladet #34, 2015.
Written by Karina Didriksen.

While M&F went to a baptism Saturday, Joachim and Alexandra visited their oldest son at the boarding school of Herlufsholm. This is the first of a number of events in the school year where parents are invited.

The whole thing started with a procession for the high school students. High School in DK lasts three years. The senior students in front and the freshmen, who Nikolai belongs to in the rear.
The rain poured down, but by noon when Nikolai got to meet his parents the weather was fine.
Nikolai got a manly hug from dad, who had brought along bette Henrik and Athena, who really has started to smile! There is a sweet picture of Nikolai hugging his half-sister. Felix was not present.
Nikolai told the wee ones: "There is a bouncy-castle". Bette Henrik was a bit hesitant: "Yeah, if there aren't any big boys...". So Nikolai had to explain that there are indeed many big boys at the school, but that he would look after them.

So High School in DK last three years. Third year students are called Seniors and first year students freshman, what are the second year students called?
In the U.S. its 4 years (Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors)

Henrik and the bouncy castle, how sweet...something tells me that Athena had no such questions lol

:previous: Yes. the most common thing here in DK is ten years at school (sometimes eleven), followed by three years in High School and then it's off to university or another education.

IIRC some 60% follow that way.

I can imagine Athena is used to wrapping older boys (her brothers) around her finger, so they don't scare her. :lol:

And he is only an hours drive away, so we sometimes come down here to have dinner with him at the school".
They must have a heavy right foot then :whistling::whistling::whistling: Normally it takes around 1,5 hour :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #35, 2015.
Written by Dorte Quist.

On the occasion of Nikolai turning sixteen tomorrow, photographer Steen Brogaard has made a few pics of him. - And let me put it like this: I think especially the teens among you have something to look forward to!
There is a close-up of Nikolai in the article where there is a distinct greenish hue in his eyes. So Athena is not the only child in the DRF who do not have blue eyes.

Anyway, Nikolai's stay at the boarding school Herlufsholm has matured him.
Nikolai started at school at a younger age than average (Felix you may recall waited a year before starting in school) and when he finished 9th grade at Krebs School he would like to move out from home for a while, so he ended up at Herlufsholm. And that is very different from having his own room at Schackenborg, Alexandra's house and now J&M's new home at Klampenborg (*). Becuase at Herlufsholm he sleep in the same room as 27 other students.
Each student do have a room of their own, to be alone of have visitors or to do homework, but it's for sleeping.
Of the 640 students and pupils at Herlufsholm almost 300 sleep there for some 200 days of the year.
With each dormitory there is an apartment, where a teacher live. That teacher is tasked with getting to know the pupils in his/her dormitory very well and that includes personal issues. As such the pupils tend to become very close with their house teacher. On the other hand it means that the house teacher has often been at the school for many years, because it is a special job.
The house teacher has a couple of older students to assist him, prefects. Who are basically there to ensure order and to assist their fellow students.
Tomorrow the other 27 students in his dormitory will circle his bed and sing the birthday song. That is a very treasured tradition at Herlufsholm.

(*) The area of Klampenborg is where one lives if one belongs to the segment of the population, where money is something you just have. You live there if you own a 60 foot yacht called "pocket change". Where your butler naturally drives a Mercedes and where you never open your mouth more than a few millimeters when your speak, for fear of getting a golf ball in your mouth.

Last edited:
Some nice model poses for the Danish teens lol
16 already. He looks like a sweet boy

Not only Marius is getting handsome, but Nikolai as well. I love his eyes and I think that hairstyle suits him.

They must have a heavy right foot then :whistling::whistling::whistling: Normally it takes around 1,5 hour :whistling::whistling::whistling:

From where Alexandra lives to Herlufsholm there is 1 hour drive. Macbeth from where Joachim lives it takes 1,5 hour

From where Alexandra lives to Herlufsholm there is 1 hour drive. Macbeth from where Joachim lives it takes 1,5 hour
I know that maps tells that it only takes 1 hour, but in reality it takes nearer to 1.5 hour than 1 hour :flowers:

Prince Nikolai looks great. Time has gone so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom