Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, Part 1: February 2012 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww she looks like a combo of her mother and but mostly Joachim.

Last edited:

Very cute, lively pics! I had hoped for more, at least one more with Henrik or with her parents, but half a loaf is better than none ;) Funny to see her with one of those plastic horses, they have made a triumphal march through all children's rooms and kindergartens I've seen over the last years..:)

Athena is adorable, I love her wispy baby hair. :wub: I can't believe she's two already.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #5, 2014.
Written by Trine Larsen.

BB apparantly stationed a photographer, Martin Høien, in front of Amalienborg at Athena's birthday and it's on his pictures most of the article is based.

However, we do also get some more details on the official B-day pics of Athena.
They were made at Schackenborg in the weekend prior to the birthday. The picture of Athena peeking thorugh a banister is from the stairs between the living room and the TV-room. The picture of her on her red horse is from the (private) living room.

It wasn't guests from her nursery Athena had on her birthday but instead people whom she has known all her life and their children.

The Siesbye's and their Alexander and Sofie Agnete.
Christian Scherfig and his Tuva (That's a girl).
Peter and Henriette Steenstrup with sons.
And last but not least Nikolai and Felix whom Joachim and bette Henrik picked up from school.

lovely pictures, henrik is such a sweet boy. i hope we get pictures of athena for her birthday!

BB has an article on bette Henrik turning five. Nothing new, but there is a nice pic of him: https://app.box.com/s/lvoc1bt71xudcchb7mnf

Looking at the latest official pics I started to wonder whether they were made by Mary.
They are just credited to the DRF, But it's Mary's style. That is, outside, nature, children looking up at the photographer.
It's been at least a month since they were made, because the trees have been busy putting on leaves for the last month, and to me they look like having been made at Schackenborg. So wonder if M&F dropped by one day and Mary took a couple of pics of Henrik?

BB has an article on bette Henrik turning five. Nothing new, but there is a nice pic of him: https://app.box.com/s/lvoc1bt71xudcchb7mnf

Looking at the latest official pics I started to wonder whether they were made by Mary.
They are just credited to the DRF, But it's Mary's style. That is, outside, nature, children looking up at the photographer.
It's been at least a month since they were made, because the trees have been busy putting on leaves for the last month, and to me they look like having been made at Schackenborg. So wonder if M&F dropped by one day and Mary took a couple of pics of Henrik?

I was thinking that too. the pics reminded me of the ones from last year of Isabella and of Christian

Prins Nikolai skal på kostskole efter sommerferien - Indland

Jyllands Posten informs us that Nikolai will start at Herlufsholm boarding school after the summer holidays. That means in August.

Herlufsholm is considered a prestigious boarding school and it's 449 years old.
Nikolai will complete tenth grade at the school.

- In that respect he's hardly different from so many other pupils who leave school to complete an additional year or tenth grade away from home. A continuation school can have various main themes, like art, music, foreign countries or as in this case a boarding school with emphasis on learning, uniforms and discipline.
Hardly surprising as both Joachim and our Marie went to boarding schools.

The school has been placed on this updated map: https://app.box.com/s/6dkvmx8abxohunxa0yfn
As you can tell Nikolai is within comfortable distance by train from Copenhagen.

ADDED: You can read about Herlufsholm, in English, here: http://herlufsholm.dk/english/Pages/default.aspx

Last edited:
Jyllands Posten informs us that Nikolai will start at Herlufsholm boarding school after the summer holidays. That means in August.

Let me guess that he will join high school (gymnasiet) at Herlufsholm.

As you can tell Nikolai is within comfortable distance by train from Copenhagen.http://herlufsholm.dk/english/Pages/default.aspx
Well, comfortable and comfortable :lol: He will have to take a taxi or bus to the station or walk the 1-2 km. And then there´s the whole story with DSB and Næstved :bang::bang::bang:

:previous: I agree, he will most likely continue in their high school as most boarders on Herlufsholm do.

I am actually fairly surprised that they haven't chosen a foreign boarding school – perhaps in his mother's native country Hong Kong (like how Frederik and Joachim went to a boarding school in France), but I definitely sympathise with the fact that it's much more comfortable and safe for Nikolai to stay in Denmark.

Prins Nikolai skal på kostskole efter sommerferien - Indland

- In that respect he's hardly different from so many other pupils who leave school to complete an additional year or tenth grade away from home. A continuation school can have various main themes, like art, music, foreign countries or as in this case a boarding school with emphasis on learning, uniforms and discipline.
Hardly surprising as both Joachim and our Marie went to boarding schools.

The school has been placed on this updated map: https://app.box.com/s/6dkvmx8abxohunxa0yfn
As you can tell Nikolai is within comfortable distance by train from Copenhagen.

ADDED: You can read about Herlufsholm, in English, here: Herlufsholm
Is this school the same one at which Professor Donaldson taught maths for a time?

Is this school the same one at which Professor Donaldson taught maths for a time?

I think so. That and/or Sorø Academy which is also a prestigious boarding school.

Follow up on Nikolai: Hoffet: Joachim og Alex støtter, men det er Prins Nikolais eget valg - Royale | www.bt.dk

Lene Balleby from the court says to BT: "Prince Nikolai's parents thought it was a good idea for him to try out life at a boarding school before attending high school (High school/gymnasiet lasts three years in DK). And by attending 10th grade at Herlufsholm he will now have an opportunity to try how it is to be at a boarding school".

It was Nikolai himself who chose Herlufsholm and it is not yet decided whether he will complete high high school at Herlufsholm as well.

The choice is pretty obvious, I believe, since a very large number of the pupils at Herlufsholm come from the most wealthy and influential families in DK, quite a number of them are within the circle of friends around at least Joachim, Nikolai will no doubt know quite a number of the other students.

The big question, and indeed debate here in DK, is what M&F will do. Will they follow Joachim and Alexandra's lead and send certainly Christian (as the next heir he needs a high school graduation) to a more elitist school like this or will they do like Joachim and Frederik and send their children to an ordinary high school.

Last edited by a moderator:
but I definitely sympathise with the fact that it's much more comfortable and safe for Nikolai to stay in Denmark.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do Joachim's children have he same degree of protection as Frederik's? Will a bodyguard accompany Nikolai to boarding school?

but I definitely sympathise with the fact that it's much more comfortable and safe for Nikolai to stay in Denmark

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do Joachim's children have he same degree of protection as Frederik's? Will a bodyguard accompany Nikolai to boarding school?

No protection, and as far as I know Nikolai and Felix has never had any personal protection.

Alexandra was for a brief period years back given PET protection due to a specific threat (*), but apart from that neither she, nor Joachim and our Marie have personal protection. Not even when going abroad, unless it's a very dangerous area.

(*) That was back in the 90's when Alexandra had a very high profile and a good deal was written about it. But AFAIK nothing came of it.

Certainly i think there will be harsher criticism for whatever F&M decide to do with Christian and the rest.
I see the CP of Norway are dealing with this issue now since they have decided to send their kids now to private schools.

This part of the article I found curious
"With the election puts the 14-year-old Prince Nikolai in fine extension of the image of his father, Prince Joachim, wishes to impart to his family. For a family, there is something 'exclusive' and 'special'.

- Herlufsholm is a boarding school that has a special status. And by choosing this specific school, you signal that you are something special. This will fit the school elections very well to the royal family when you also see that the royal couple sends some signals by sending their children in ordinary schools, says Sørensen.

Just the diversity of Prince Joachim and Crown Prince Frederik's way of 'doing family' is a strength of the royal family, says Sørensen.
Smart choice

- It's a smart strategy to grow both the exclusive and special as Prince Joachim's branch of the family does, and so the ordinary and mundane as Crown Prince Frederik stands for. This will appeal to a broad range of public and ensure that they are not perceived either as the snobbish or too common, he says. "

I wonder what they will do with Henrik's schooling, Krebs (where Felix and Nikolai attend now) is in Copenhagen. would it be too far for Henrik?

Yes, I think Lars Hovbakke nailed it pretty well.

It will appeal to those who believe that royalty should be somewhat exclusive. Anyway, in contrast to Frederik Joachim has never been "folksy". That's not his strength and being the secondary prince he can also allow himself the luxury of sending his children to elite schools.

M&F have four children, Christian might go to a ordinary high school, to maintain the connection with the people he is eventually going to rule.
While Bella may opt for for a school focusing just as much on music and performance, while say Josephine (whom I suspect to be the brainy one in the family, just a gut feeling) could attend an elite school.
Vincent may attend an academy focusing on sports.
- That should satisfy most, because someone will always complain! And they will always believe it would be the end of the monarchy.

I bet when the first DK king send his first son to study abroad back in medieval times, somewhat would grump and believe it would be the end of the monarchy...
But they are still here.

- It's basically the extension of the Tall Poppy Syndrome/Jante's Law V. 2.0: "Nothing shall ever change and nothing shall ever be attempted for the first time".

Lene Balleby from the court says to BT: "Prince Nikolai's parents thought it was a good idea for him to try out life at a boarding school before attending high school (High school/gymnasiet lasts three years in DK). And by attending 10th grade at Herlufsholm he will now have an opportunity to try how it is to be at a boarding school".
And let´s add to that that he started a year earlier in school than other at his age. So it´s a good idea to take 10th grade and become a year older before starting in gymnasiet :)

Unless it is Christian's own wish to attend an elitist boarding school such as Herlufsholm or Sorø Akademi, I doubt Frederik and Mary will actively encourage it. That said, despite the fact that Tranegårdsskolen is a public school, the majority of the children attending the school are children from the upper class – it's not a completely ordinary school, and I wouldn't be surprised should some of his class mates choose to attend high school at one of the aforementioned boarding schools, so Christian might do as well.

I think it's more likely for Christian to take a year at a foreign boarding school (but then again, I thought that about Nikolai as well). Perhaps in Australia or the UK. Both QMII and Frederik have attended boarding schools overseas. QMII attended the North Foreland Lodge in Hampshire, England, and Frederik (and Joachim) attended École des Roches in Normandy, France, so I definitely think that a foreign boarding school for Christian is the most likely. I also reckon he will attend university abroad.

I wonder what they will do with Henrik's schooling, Krebs (where Felix and Nikolai attend now) is in Copenhagen. would it be too far for Henrik?

I have always had a sneaking suspicion that they might enrol him and Athena in the local school in Møgeltønder – don't know if it will end up happening, but I sure would love if it did.

:previous: Absolutely. We can be almost completely sure that most if not all of M&F's children will study in Australia in one way or another.

We don't know what course the younger children will set, but Christian's is very predictable: High school, then the military, finishing as first lieutenant. Then he'll either go a year abroad somewhere before going to the university, or go straight to the university, which will very likely also mean some time aboard, studying.
Then back for a more thorough military career, combined with more study.

Bella, Josephine and Vincent can better go where their skills and interest lead them.

I also think it will be more than likely that bette Henrik and or Athena will study in France or Switzerland at some point. Perhaps also going to New York like their mother?

:previous:lovely gallery
although i think #20 and 29 are of Nikolai ;)

What a lovely young man, he has the most amazing eyes, watch out girls, here comes another generation of Danish heartbreakers. Nikolai and Felix are very very good looking young men.
(..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom