Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik & Princess Athena, Part 1: February 2012 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I actually think so. Once at least Christian has turned 18. - Just in case...
By then Nikolai my be well on his way in his education for whatever career he will choose. And a life as a commoner will give him more freedom in many ways.
He's a bright young man, with a good inheritance waiting for him, once Joachim is gone, so he doesn't have to remain a royal, simply to provide a suitable living for him. If I am to be cynical. - That after all has always been a problem with royal children who are either not the sharpest knife in the drawer or handicapped to a considerable extent.

He will of course be Count de Montpezat, but I think it's likely QMII, or perhaps king Frederik, will give him an additional title, if he gives up his title as prince. Perhaps Count of Frederiksborg? I'm sure Alexandra would approve.
And it will prevent a multitude of Montpezats all over the place in only a generation from now. and make it easier to distinguish Joachim's children from inactive children of M&F.
I've long expected the Monpezat title to be a way of slowly easing people out of the Royal house like a modern day Rosenborg title. The public would know who the Monpezat are without having them as part of the DRF so to divide them up by adding more titles would be a pity to me.

Does Nikolai become a holder of the Order of the Elephant on his 18th birthday?

According to Joachim it will be very much up to Nikolai himself whether he wish to take on protections or not.
[...]
- I think this is an indication of how the rest of Joachim's children will be handled. - I.e. unless they desire to become active, they will quietly glide out of the DRF.
Of course Joachim and Alexandra between them can offer their children an economically comfortable life.

Would it be a practicable plan, or understood by the people, for Prince Joachim's children to become working royals, given that the Royal House spokeswoman stated last year that Prince Christian is the only grandchild who will receive a state-funded salary?

Royal House spokeswoman Lene Balleby told the state broadcaster DR that only Crown Prince Frederik’s son Prince Christian will be paid a salary when he comes of age.
Read more: Danish royals issue rare public statement after growing controversy over state-funded salaries

In addition, it would alter the modern system within the Danish and other European monarchies, in which Princess Elisabeth and Counts Ingolf and Christian have not become working royals, nor the children of younger sons and daughters in other European royal families.

I can only interpret that as Nikolai having no plans of becoming a working royal and I can't help wondering whether he will give up his title as prince once he marries.

There will be an inflation of Princes and Princesses of Denmark in the next generation if Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik, Christian, and Vincent all marry with the consent of the monarch, and all of their wives and children become Princes(ses). Especially if, in addition, the tradition that Princesses become commoners if they marry outside of the aristocracy is overruled.

Last edited:
Would it be a practicable plan, or understood by the people, for Prince Joachim's children to become working royals, given that the Royal House spokeswoman stated last year that Prince Christian is the only grandchild who will receive a state-funded salary?

In addition, it would alter the modern system within the Danish and other European monarchies, in which Princess Elisabeth and Counts Ingolf and Christian have not become working royals, nor the children of younger sons and daughters in other European royal families.

There will be an inflation of Princes and Princesses of Denmark in the next generation if Princes Nikolai, Felix, Henrik, Christian, and Vincent all marry with the consent of the monarch, and all of their wives and children become Princes(ses). Especially if, in addition, the tradition that Princesses become commoners if they marry outside of the aristocracy is overruled.

The wording was more phrased like Christian is the only grandchild who is ensured an apanage. Simply because of his role.
So while it IMO is more or less natural that Joachim's children will have careers of their own, it would be almost unthinkable that Christian will be the only working royal of M&F's children. Simply because that leaves no reserves, when he's ill, away on travels or studying.
I think it's likely Isabella and/or perhaps Josephine as well will also be full-time working royals. They are both out-going personalities. As such it's only reasonable she/they get an apanage as well.
The problem with M&F's children is that they being who they are, can't just choose any career that suits them and they can't just earn their living on anything that suits them as well.

And I agree, there needs to be a reduction in the number of princes/ses. I think we are seeing the outline of what will happen in the future; that the children of younger siblings will quietly by phased out if the heir has fully functional children.

It really is a luxury-problem. Imagine having so many talents to choose from! It's something other monarchies (think Japan) dream of!

-------------

Frederik will not be present tonight to celebrate his nephew, as he is currently in Korea.

SE MED: BILLED-BLADET sender live fra prins Nikolais fødselsdagsfest | BILLED-BLADET

The live coverage from BB has started.

Last edited by a moderator:

thank you!
Frederik unfortunately will miss the party due to IOC commitments in South Korea
Derfor går kronprinsen glip af prins Nikolais fødselsdag | BILLED-BLADET
"Crown Prince Frederik participates in the IOC Coordination Commission meeting in PyeongChang in South Korea from 29 to 31 August.
Due to the long distance between South Korea and Denmark, Crown Prince Frederik has already resigned on 28 August in order to reach the meeting on time."

According to the running commentary by Trine Larsen, Nikolai is now His Royal Highness, Prince Nikolai. - So he is now to be addressed with His Royal Highness and formal You.

He has also received the Order of the Elephant.

-----------------------
PH has arrived - alone - assisted by one of his healthcare-people.

-----------------------

Frederik has described Nikolai as having a "totally unique hard drive".

------------------------

QMII is already aboard, arriving some two hours ago. She's gone through the last details.

--------------
Some members may appreciate the sailor standing guard at the end of the phalarope, armed with a cutlass. Equip him with an axe and he'd look like a Viking!
In typical navy-style (they are basically maritime savages) he doesn't stand that still...
(In the army on the other hand...)

---------------

Mary and the children have arrived. Mary was of course pipes aboard. But not being in uniform she didn't salute the flag at the stern.

----------------------

The PET officer standing behind Trine Larsen is a good indicator of something about to happen. He seems to get text messages rather than being on the radio.

------------------------------

Mademoiselle Athena, although being a little shy, doesn't seem to mind being photographed that much - so long as she's not in the center.
Nikolai has been presented with a car by his proud dad.

The crowd is now singing, sort of, the birthday song.

Alexandra is very proud.

-----------------------

That's it folks.

Last edited:
According to the running commentary by Trine Larsen, Nikolai is now His Royal Highness, Prince Nikolai. - So he is now to be addressed with His Royal Highness and formal You.

Interesting. Why did they fell a need to upgrade him to Royal Highness if he will play no role as working royal.

-

Im confused, what was he before?

Mary and the kids. How cute Vincent and Christian with their little tuxs
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIVPKhYW0AAapku.jpg

Family photo on board the Dannebrog
https://scontent-eze1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=986d2fb02a1b3e8a6249f5c482c6f9be&oe=5A1961DD
Cute bow ties for Vincent and Christian. And luckily Joachim left his more colorful tuxs at home this evening lol

a wave from Nikolai
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYWLRaIhl_i/?tagged=prinsnikolai

The wording was more phrased like Christian is the only grandchild who is ensured an apanage. Simply because of his role.
So while it IMO is more or less natural that Joachim's children will have careers of their own, it would be almost unthinkable that Christian will be the only working royal of M&F's children. Simply because that leaves no reserves, when he's ill, away on travels or studying.
I think it's likely Isabella and/or perhaps Josephine as well will also be full-time working royals. They are both out-going personalities. As such it's only reasonable she/they get an apanage as well.
The problem with M&F's children is that they being who they are, can't just choose any career that suits them and they can't just earn their living on anything that suits them as well.

And I agree, there needs to be a reduction in the number of princes/ses. I think we are seeing the outline of what will happen in the future; that the children of younger siblings will quietly by phased out if the heir has fully functional children.

It really is a luxury-problem. Imagine having so many talents to choose from! It's something other monarchies (think Japan) dream of!

-------------

Frederik will not be present tonight to celebrate his nephew, as he is currently in Korea.

But I am sure he made the best wishes tohis nephew via Skype.:flowers:

-----------------------
PH has arrived - alone - assisted by one of his healthcare-people.

-----------------------

Frederik has described Nikolai as having a "totally unique hard drive".

------------------------

QMII is already aboard, arriving some two hours ago. She's gone through the last details.

--------------
Some members may appreciate the sailor standing guard at the end of the phalarope, armed with a cutlass. Equip him with an axe and he'd look like a Viking!
In typical navy-style (they are basically maritime savages) he doesn't stand that still...
(In the army on the other hand...)

---------------

Mary and the children have arrived. Mary was of course pipes aboard. But not being in uniform she didn't salute the flag at the stern.

----------------------

The PET officer standing behind Trine Larsen is a good indicator of something about to happen. He seems to get text messages rather than being on the radio.

------------------------------

Mademoiselle Athena, although being a little shy, doesn't seem to mind being photographed that much - so long as she's not in the center.
Nikolai has been presented with a car by his proud dad.

The crowd is now singing, sort of, the birthday song.

Alexandra is very proud.

-----------------------

That's it folks.

I am quite sure she just said it wrong. He is not a royal highness, and will never be so. It would be on the Royal house homepage if they had changed that.

She did say something other gibberish, but I forgot what it was.

He is a "Highness" not a "Royal highness". He is still a highness. The reporter said it wrong, thats all.

Well, that would "just" be "His Highness", with no "royal" attached. But I've never actually heard that they should get promoted to royal highnesses on their 18th birthday before. Don't know if Trine Larsen got that right.

Well, that would "just" be "His Highness", with no "royal" attached. But I've never actually heard that they should get promoted to royal highnesses on their 18th birthday before. Don't know if Trine Larsen got that right.

thank you and betina for the clarification:flowers:

picture of the birthday boy, his parents and siblings. Little Henrik missed out on a tuxedo ;)
http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/21107914_1939644452977595_253082399615746048_n.jpg

more photos

Mary and kids
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIVlFIMVwAEilff.jpg

Joachim and family
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIVlEl7UQAA39nz.jpg

the happy grandparents
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIVlFH9UIAIQch7.jpg

articles with more pictures
Myndig prins fejret af kongefamilien – minus kronprinsen - Indland
Barnebarnet fyldte 18: Prins Henrik tog bagdøren – Ekstra Bladet
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYWTOdHFDHG/?taken-at=249611067

gallery
Prince Nikolai Of Denmark Celebrates His 18th Birthday At The Royal Ship Dannebrog Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

cute hug from his sister
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...r-with-their-children-and-picture-id840268916

and the DailyMail
Danish royals celebrate Prince Nikolai's 18th birthday | Daily Mail Online

I've always had a soft spot for Vincent but I've completely melted at the sight of him in his tux :wub:

And the Royal website still has Nikolai as HH rather than HRH so I think Trine got carried away in the moment :lol:

He is a "Highness" not a "Royal highness". He is still a highness. The reporter said it wrong, thats all.

Thanks. But was he given the Order of the Elephant for his 18th birthday today or not?

After all the comments about PH these past weeks...

...I'm glad to see him nestled cosily and happily within his family.

:previous: Me too! I didn't want to mention the "K" word debacle, so I'm glad that someone did before me :D

It's nice to see the whole family together celebrating - I love the photo of them all together on the Dannebrog. I can't believe that Nikolai is eighteen now! He's grown up into quite a handsome man indeed.
I think the giving of the Order of the Elephant on a royal's eighteenth birthday is a nice tradition. That means we should be able to see him wear the sash when it's required at a future official event.

Yes, I actually think so. Once at least Christian has turned 18. - Just in case...
By then Nikolai my be well on his way in his education for whatever career he will choose. And a life as a commoner will give him more freedom in many ways.
He's a bright young man, with a good inheritance waiting for him, once Joachim is gone, so he doesn't have to remain a royal, simply to provide a suitable living for him. If I am to be cynical. - That after all has always been a problem with royal children who are either not the sharpest knife in the drawer or handicapped to a considerable extent.

He will of course be Count de Montpezat, but I think it's likely QMII, or perhaps king Frederik, will give him an additional title, if he gives up his title as prince. Perhaps Count of Frederiksborg? I'm sure Alexandra would approve.
And it will prevent a multitude of Montpezats all over the place in only a generation from now. and make it easier to distinguish Joachim's children from inactive children of M&F.

Another option would be in future limiting Prince/Princess titles to the children of the monarch and those in the direct line of succession. So Frederick and Joachim's children keep their HH/HRH and don't need to give anything up but only Christian's children would be given royal styles. Isabella, Vincent, Josephine and Joachim's four would have non royal children which would prevent an explosion of royal Danes with no role to play as time goes on.

Imagine celebrating your 18th birthday and having billedbladet standing outside waiting for you. Nikolai must be very eager to hear his friends' comments next week :whistling:

And can you believe Mary still fits into this dress from 2004??
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l8W_Gq6jmnM/UrlHRTtu2MI/AAAAAAAADjw/tqnQPsBECaY/s1600/350404.jpg

:D

It's probably not that bad. Many of his classmates from Herlufsholm are nobles and are used to such "official duties" and have parents who are pretty well featured in the press.
Something like, albeit on a smaller scale, that wouldn't be alien to many of them.

Without discussing it too much I do always like that Joachim, Alexandra and Marie all get on, even if just for the sake of the children. Alexandra and Marie seemed to greet each other warmly which is lovely.

I wonder what will happen now at other birthdays for Nikolai, will each one be marked with a new photo etc as in the past or is that over now he is 18?

I've always really liked the dress Mary is wearing. Glad to see it again.

Mary, Alex and Marie look great and I think they're all ageing fantastically well. Joachim to me has always seemed a little gaunt and old looking for his age but he looks very healthy and happy here.

It's hard to believe Nikolai is 18. My interest in the Danish royal family started not too long after he was born!

Last edited:
That's a very nice - and still reasonable - gift from dad! So I guess Nikolai already has his driver's license?

Here are some extra photos from the 18th birthday of Prince Nikolai in Copenhagen,looks like alovely family gathering.

PPE Agency

That's a very nice - and still reasonable - gift from dad! So I guess Nikolai already has his driver's license?

Yes, he was among the first here in DK, to get his license when he was seventeen. But now that he's eighteen he can go solo. - And the car has indeed been tested...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom