Prince Joachim, Current Events 1: September 2004 - 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
In light of the fact that Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra are now seperated and soon to be divorcecd, here is a seperate thread for News and Pictures of Prince Joachim as he embarks on his new life and continues his royal duties.

isnt he coming to Canada in a couple of days?
I heard on the news about the Danish cultural festival thats going on in Toronto

~*~Humera~*~ said:
isnt he coming to Canada in a couple of days?
I heard on the news about the Danish cultural festival thats going on in Toronto
Yes, on Tuesday he will be in Toronto at Harbourfront Centre to open SuperDanish: Newfangled Danish Culture, which is a comprehensive study and homage of/to Danish visual and performing arts, culture, lifestyle, design, architecture and food.

I wasn't sure if he was still coming in light of the divorce. It seemed up in the air last week when I was speaking with a PR person at Harbourfront Centre about it. But if he is there, so will I! ;) There was some talk about Princess Benedikte taking his place if he felt that it was more important to be at home with his sons at this time.

well have fun! I hope you get to see him up close
Im in Mississauga, pretty close to harbourfront but I guess im too lazy to go, I might've considered going if Princess Mary was coming, or maybe even Alexandra ;)

~*~Humera~*~ said:
well have fun! I hope you get to see him up close
Im in Mississauga, pretty close to harbourfront but I guess im too lazy to go, I might've considered going if Princess Mary was coming, or maybe even Alexandra ;)

I'm in Mississauga, too ... it's just a GO train ride away to a prince in the flesh! :)

Annelise said:
Whoa, you guys are in Mississauga too? Do you guys know what time he will he there? *Hope it's not during school time :(*
It is an evening reception with the Prince and Adrienne Clarkson, the Governor General of Canada. But before that there is a media preview with questions and answers with the media and Prince Joachim will tour some of the exhibits taking place at Harbourfront Centre, specifically The Power Plant and York Quay Gallery. I think he is also expected to take in one of the performances, too, but I'm not sure. (Plays fall under Entertainment ... for which I am not the editor of.)

Here is the link for SuperDanish at Harbourfront Centre: http://www.harbourfrontcentre.com/superdanish/

Last edited:
Alexandria said:
It is an evening reception with the Prince and Adrienne Clarkson, the Governor General of Canada. But before that there is a media preview with questions and answers with the media and Prince Joachim will tour some of the exhibits taking place at Harbourfront Centre, specifically The Power Plant and York Quay Gallery. I think he is also expected to take in one of the performances, too, but I'm not sure. (Plays fall under Entertainment ... for which I am not the editor of.)

Here is the link for SuperDanish at Harbourfront Centre: http://www.harbourfrontcentre.com/superdanish/
I saw on the CBC that there's also going to be a debut of an opera based on one of Margaret Atwood's novels (I think its called 'the handmaid's tale' or something), it's written by a Danish guy. Maybe Joachim will attend the performance.

Prince Joachim in Canada

Prince Joachim is supposedly still coming to Canada next week. I haven't heard anything solid about him not coming. My friend works at the Governor General's office and she said there was no changes in the Governor General's schedule for next week. So I think he is coming, maybe he he'll get away from the press for a few day ... probably not though ;)

aiya.....how come those royals only go to Toronto ??? they should also come to Vancouver!!!!!

bigheadshirmp said:
aiya.....how come those royals only go to Toronto ??? they should also come to Vancouver!!!!!
His Royal Highness Prince Willem of the Netherlands was in Vancouver about a week ago, but it was a private visit to do with the International Olympic Commitee.

Joachim in Toronto

Alexandria said:
Yes, on Tuesday he will be in Toronto at Harbourfront Centre to open SuperDanish: Newfangled Danish Culture, which is a comprehensive study and homage of/to Danish visual and performing arts, culture, lifestyle, design, architecture and food.

I wasn't sure if he was still coming in light of the divorce. It seemed up in the air last week when I was speaking with a PR person at Harbourfront Centre about it. But if he is there, so will I! ;) There was some talk about Princess Benedikte taking his place if he felt that it was more important to be at home with his sons at this time.
I have a picture of Joachim at the hotel in Toronto. I told Alexandra that she created a monster once she taught me how to upload pictures:)

Attachments

• Prince Joachim in Toronto, Canada for a 4-day visit 09-27-04.jpg
    Prince Joachim in Toronto, Canada for a 4-day visit 09-27-04.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,005
Thanks for the pics Alisa! Joachim looks well.

mgrant said:
I have a picture of Joachim at the hotel in Toronto. I told Alexandra that she created a monster once she taught me how to upload pictures:)
But a good kind of moster mgrant! :p

In case anyone wants to "surprise" Joachim at his hotel ;) he is staying at the Westin Harbour Castle -- surprising that he is not staying at the Fairmont Royal York -- which is where members of the British royal family stay when visiting Toronto. QE II has a special floor that she stays on whenever she visits and it is not rented out to just anybody; only dignitaries stay in that suite when it is not occupied by QE II or members of her family.

Some very surprising things from my meeting with him this afternoon:

He is still wearing his wedding band.

He is very, very tall.

He cuts a very dashing figure in a suit!

He has a very deep voice. If you only heard his voice on the radio without knowing who he was or anything about him, you would know immediately that he either smoked heavily at one point or still does.

He actually has a wry sense of humour. He was cracking jokes with the media.

OOOh.. I love the Westin Harbour castle. I stayed there for a week 3 years ago and had a wonderful time!

Prince Joachim answers a Danish journalist question during a question and answer session at the Westin Harbour Castle hotel in Toronto. Pictures: www.colourpress.com

Attachments

• COLOUR10045079.jpg
    COLOUR10045079.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 316
  • COLOUR10045081.jpg
    COLOUR10045081.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 346
  • COLOUR10045082.jpg
    COLOUR10045082.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 305
  • COLOUR10045083.jpg
    COLOUR10045083.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 323
Prince Joachim and Canada's Govenor General Adrian Clarkson arrive at Harbourfront Centre in Toronto to meet with Danish artists.

Attachments

• COLOUR10045079.jpg
    COLOUR10045079.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 283
  • COLOUR10045081.jpg
    COLOUR10045081.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 311
  • COLOUR10045082.jpg
    COLOUR10045082.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 319
  • COLOUR10045083.jpg
    COLOUR10045083.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 324
I didnt know he was here already. I didnt hear anything on the news. Just saw the pictures on colourpress.

Here's some more pics

Attachments

• AP534323.jpg
    AP534323.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 312
  • AP536343.jpg
    AP536343.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 466
  • AP536332.jpg
    AP536332.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 302
  • AP535147.jpg
    AP535147.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 320
  • AP534327.jpg
    AP534327.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 310
  • AP534326.jpg
    AP534326.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 336
  • AP534325.jpg
    AP534325.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 205
  • AP534324.jpg
    AP534324.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 251
  • AP534322.jpg
    AP534322.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 287
  • AP534321.jpg
    AP534321.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 341
Some more pics

Attachments

• AP536346.jpg
    AP536346.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 207
  • AP536347.jpg
    AP536347.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 305
  • AP536362.jpg
    AP536362.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 275
Alexandria said:

In case anyone wants to "surprise" Joachim at his hotel ;) he is staying at the Westin Harbour Castle -- surprising that he is not staying at the Fairmont Royal York -- which is where members of the British royal family stay when visiting Toronto. QE II has a special floor that she stays on whenever she visits and it is not rented out to just anybody; only dignitaries stay in that suite when it is not occupied by QE II or members of her family.

Some very surprising things from my meeting with him this afternoon:

He is still wearing his wedding band.

He is very, very tall.

He cuts a very dashing figure in a suit!

He has a very deep voice. If you only heard his voice on the radio without knowing who he was or anything about him, you would know immediately that he either smoked heavily at one point or still does.

He actually has a wry sense of humour. He was cracking jokes with the media.
I haven't heard him speak yet, does he have an accent? when he speaks English, I mean.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I haven't heard him speak yet, does he have an accent? when he speaks English, I mean.
He speaks English with an upper-class British accent, but there is no hint of a Danish accent when he speaks English.

So has he been educated at British schools then?

I was very surprised by the British-sounding accent, too, even though I remember being equally as surprised when I first heard Frederik speaking at his engagement press conference last October.

I'm a bit puzzled myself over where the British accent comes from seeing as Henrik is French, Ingrid was Swedish and Margrethe is Danish -- or does Margrethe speak with a British-like accent, too?

When I met him he now and then had a slip of the tongue with some Danish words and phrases when I asked him about particularl Danish artists. He was then a bit flustered and would apologize.

British accent or not, he is certainly a very proud Dane.

Alexandria said:
I'm a bit puzzled myself over where the British accent comes from seeing as Henrik is French, Ingrid was Swedish and Margrethe is Danish -- or does Margrethe speak with a British-like accent, too?
Europeans generally who learn English learn British English, since Britian is the major English speaking country in Europe. Queen Margrethe speaks English perfectly with an upper class British accent like Joachim.

timtonruben359 said:
Europeans generally who learn English learn British English, since Britian is the major English speaking country in Europe. Queen Margrethe speaks English perfectly with an upper class British accent like Joachim.
That's true. Because I listened to Queen Margrethe and Prince Joachim in a video they did on the royals of all countries, it was on this forum. Let me see if I can find that link and post it.
Anyways, I noticed that Prince Joachim and Queen Margrethe spoke in "crisp" or English with a British accent. Whereas Crown Prince Frederick had a heavy Danish accent, even though I am sure he has been educated at the same schools as Prince Joachim. I am surprised at how the two brothers have very different accents while speaking in English.

timtonruben359 said:
that is what I thought too. I was surprised to hear Princess Martha Louise of Norway speak English with a slighty British accent too. Her father has a similar accent. Perhaps they think it is more refined or "royal"
Im assuming that's how they learn to speak english from the beginning since a truly Danish/Norwegian or any other European accent would be quite different, like the French accent which is very heavy.

Alexandria said:

I

media.
Hi
They all smoke, Joakim Magrethe and Frederick, infact Magrethe has been quoted as saying she will smoke anywhere that there is an ashtray.
I also think its easy to hear a Danish accent when they speak English. The only two of them without a Danish accent when speaking english is Alexandra and Henrik. Do you think Mary got an Australian accent, because I don't, they must have taught her British English.

Denmark’s pinstriped ‘party Prince’ - Globe and Mail

From www.globeandmail.com, Saturday 9 Oct 2004

Denmark’s pinstriped ‘party Prince’ - Part I

Play’s the thing for the recently separated second son of Queen Margrethe, the Danish tabloids scream, as he slips out of the country for a break in Canada

by Sarah Hampson

Be honest, what would you rather ask Prince Joachim of Denmark about – SuperDanish, the biggest, boldest exploration of contemporary Danish culture ever mounted and now on in Toronto until Christmas, or the recent news of his impending divorce, the first royal split in Denmark since 1846.

Yeah, me too,

But you can be sure that his entourage of crumbly diplomatic types was hoping for the former.

After all, what better solution for a beleaguered prince than a trip to the colonies, far away from the nosy Danish press, who, smelling something rotten in the state of Denmark, descended upon him, flashbulbs popping, when he made his first solo public appearance on Sept. 22, one week after announcing that he and his wife of nine years, Princess Alexandra, are separating with “the intention of seeking a divorce”?

Canada is a royalty-loving country, you can hear them thinking. Full of gentle, gracious souls. Let him take a break there.

The Presidential Suite at the Harbour Castle Hotel is awash in late September sunshine as Prince Joachim enters, surrounded by his dour-looking handlers and holding out a small delicate hand for a formal handshake.

“This is my first time to Canada, yes, and I only get to see things related to Denmark,” he begins with a jolly little laugh and settles into a sofa.

Lean and tall, blue-eyed and dark-haired, the handsome, 35-year-old second son of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik, who looks a bit like the actor James Wood, elegantly crosses on leg over the other, smoothing the pant leg of a dark grey pinstriped suit with his hand. There’s a crisp handkerchief in his breast pocket, a greenish tie at his neck, gold cufflinks at his wrist, and he’s wearing a pair of those nerdy polished Oxford lace-ups. (Boy, do princes consult an international handbook on how to dress?) He maintains friendly eye contact but often turns his head to the right, to look into the distance over Lake Ontario.

I had been told that originally his brother and heir to the throne, Crown Prince Frederik, was due to attend the opening of SuperDanish. People suggested that with the excitement over his recent nuptials – in May of this year, to Australian and former Microsoft executive Mary Donaldson – and his busy schedule, he didn’t feel he could commit to the time away. Yesterday, Australian papers breathlessly reported that she is pregnant.

“Not really,” Prince Joachim says with his nasally British accent, in answer to the rumour that this brother was originally due to attend the Toronto exhibition opening. “The Minister of Culture turned to court about a year ago and asked if a member of the Royal Family would go along with SuperDanish, for the purpose of promoting it, and seeing, uh, various tight schedules, I volunteered for it. That way my fortune, that it just fit into my general schedule even though, I must say, a year ahead, I don’t particularly often find my agenda booked.

As the spare to his brother’s position as heir, Prince Joachim is like Britain’s Prince Harry, playing second fiddle to his elder sibling and having, as a result, a bit more time for fun. Prince Joachim is often referred to in the press as the Party Prince.

Princess Alexandra, 40 – and, like her new sister-in-law, a commoner – met the Prince in 1994 at a private dinner party in Hong Kong, where she was born and he was working briefly in the Danish shipping company Maersk. She is enormously popular in Denmark and considered a hard-working royal. The palace has announced that the patron of nearly two dozen charitable organizations and former mutual-fund manager – and mother of the Prince’s two children, Prince Nikolai, 3, and Prince Felix, 2 – will retain her royal title.

Meanwhile, Prince Joachim, it has been reported, has an increasing interest in wild parties, rock concerts, vintage race cars and soccer.

Still, in this interview at least, the to-be-or-not-to-be dilemma this Prince of Denmark seems to be grappling with is whether to be official or fun. Mostly, he is as dour as the men who accompany him, but sometimes he allows a little personality to escape.

His British accent causes me to wonder if he was schooled in Britain.

“I’ve never lived in Britain. I’ve holidayed in Britain, and never much at that,” he responds in his tight, formal way.

But he presumably grew up speaking English? “Yes, learning English, but I’m half French, so French is my second language.”

Did he spend most of his time in Denmark as a child?

“Yup,” he says, offering a small, wry smile, as though it gives him pleasure not to reveal too much.

Did he go to school there?

“Yup.”

University? His brother attended Harvard University, majoring in politics.

“No, I didn’t go to university,” Prince Joachim says, smiling broadly now. Seeming to enjoy the tease of information, he holds his hands on his lap and awaits the next question.

It’s about his decision to divorce.

“I am not divorced,” he interrupts, again smiling playfully. He still wears his simple gold wedding band.

Well, the assumption is that he will be divorced, I say, correcting myself, and I wonder how he feels about his announcement, knowing that it will be the first royal breakup for 126 years.

“Tell you what,” he says, looking out into the calm of the lake. “It’s not something I take into consideration. Times were different then,” he says, turning back to look me directly in the eye. “Monarchy was absolute then, so you can’t compare the mid-1800s to 2004. That being said, of course it’s a hard time, because I’m sure that everyone who has been through the same will not in agreement that it’s a hard thing to go through, emotionally, and on a family basis.” - continues...

Denmark’s pinstriped ‘party Prince’ - Globe and Mail

From www.globeandmail.com, Saturday 9 Oct 2004

Denmark’s pinstriped ‘party Prince’ - Part II
by Sarah Hampson

The media’s handling of monarchy is a gloves-off approach in Europe. What’s it like to live with that level of scrutiny?

“How to put it?” he says, uncrossing his leg and shifting in his seat. “It’s a bit of the system of scratching each other’s backs.” he smiles his wry smile. “If you play your cards right, if you behave, the balance between the press and public appearance and being a public figure can be maintained in harmony.”

Sounds like palace-speak to me. Isn’t harmony hard to achieve when the press, generally, do not live by a moral code?

“Exactly,” he says. “There are the trespassing issues, like how far can they go, how far will you accept they go, and how far should they know not to go?”

Tabloids in Denmark, the smallest Nordic country with a population of only 5 million and the oldest monarchy in Europe, have been publishing photographs of him from years ago, in bars, and suggesting they are current.

“Well, they don’t even suggest. They just print,” he says with a sigh. “In all honesty, whenever they invent stories or print outright likes or just rumours, what is there to do? Our attitude is that things you cannot control or deny you shouldn’t talk about. Because, if you started commenting on one issue, then the day that they hit the bull’s-eye, how will you comment then?”

I feel like a tabloid wolf in the sheep’s clothing of a quality broadsheet. He must have to be tough, I offer kindly.

“Honestly, it’s more difficult for, say a show-business or sports person who enters the stage at some point in their lives and suddenly realized that this is tough. If you have grown up with it from before you were aware of it, it’s probably easier because you started seeing it and feeling it from the sidelines.”

When he is not on official duty, which occupies a third of his time, he farms arable land with “mainstay crops,” he says. Partly, the importance of SuperDanish is to show that Denmark is “not just about Danish pastry,” he says, offering a little laugh. “It’s not just furniture or Bang & Olufsen or Lego or whatever you perceive as being typically Danish. We are a small country but we are not lost,” he says adding that both Denmark, which borders on Germany, and Canada share the challenge of having “heavyweight neighbours to the south.”

His country is also a good place to be a prince, he points out. He works hard to stay in touch with his people, he says. How?

“Read the papers!” he responds, laughing generously at his own joke. But then he turns serious again. “Denmark is, that God for that, a very down-to-earth country. Basically, all my family can walk the streets of Copenhagen or any place in Denmark. I will be recognized but here won’t be a big fuss. People probably won’t even turn heads.”

Why? “I think it’s a respect,” he says, giving me a calm knowing smile that tells me, very clearly but silently, that our little chat may have gone a little too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom