The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Great seeing them out together, I think Marie looked great. About asking questions, I would think that the press would know before hand whether they can or cannot ask questions.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

While waiting for the big moment, let's have a look at Billed Bladet this week.
Unsurprisingly there is something about the christening. Nothing new though.
There is a well illustrated comparison of Kate Middleton and Mary. (Kate has got great legs incidentally...).
A brief interview with Frederik, which I'll deal with tomorrow. I find it illuminating in regards to Frederik's personality.
And this story:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #15, 2011.
Joachim og Marie fik en ny lade - Joachim and Marie got a new barn.
Written by Ken Richter.

A large but very old barn, practically a ruin stood next door to Schackenborg, on the lands of the estate. That barn is a protected building and Joachim really didn't have any use for it.
Anyway, the former steward of Schackenborg, Søren Frederiksen, vame up with the idea of applting for funds from realdania to restore the barn and turn it into a cultural centre.
The restoration started two years ago and costed 11.000.000 DKK.
The project also involved pupils from the school in Møgeltønder village, who each placed a tile in the floor.

When the new centre was inaugurated, Joachim said: "It's isn't my idea", to turn the barn into a cultural centre. Joachim added: "The barn was in such a poor condition that we didn't use it and I saw the first schetches for a restoration seven years ago and now it has become a locul cultural house and at the same time an unusual public house". (*)

And this note I'll translate in full:
Prinsen blev misbrugt - The Prince was misused/taken advantage of.

There are limits to what a prince must stand up to. Normally Prince Joachim is friendliness itself, but at the inauguration of the restored barn at Schackenborg Manor, it became too mcuh for the royal guest of honor, who very clearly felt misused. It was Anders Lund Madsen (**) from The New talkshow, who had send his reporter, Signe Molde, to Møgeltønder. Her Signe offered the Prince that she would read out aloud the poem about the Goldhorns.
- "If it's done correctly it takes 21 minuttes and my time is too precious for that", answered Prince Joachim friendly. Politely he did remain standing, while the journalist neverthelss continued reading.
- "If we are going through all of it, it'll be without my taking part", Prince Joachim had to repeat a couple of times before Signe Molde stopped the nervous reciting of the poem which Joachim informed that he perfectly well. The embarassing spectacle wasn't over, because the dispatched microphone holder also wanted to say goodbye to Prince Joachim with a hug. But as she tried to embrace Prince Joachim, he moved a couple of steps backward, while he with detremination in the voice and face said: "Thank you very much".

- I translated this segment because Ken Richter is the most matter of fact of the royal reporters on Billed Bladet. In his articles he describes what happens and he usually leaves out emotional fill. Not this time!

(*) Actually forsamlingshus. A house owened usually by the municipality of by an association, for public use by local inhabitants. I.e. for weddings, parties, ball,s bingo, evening classes and so on.
You'll find a "forsamlingshus" in practically every single village, including the one we live in. And very practically that's incidentally where we celebrated our copper anniversary a couple of years ago.

(**) Frederik has met him several times, as the mingle in the same cultural circle.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie attend the opening Reception of the Classic Race at Helnan Hotel Marsel in Arhus, Denmark. May 13, 2011

Getty Images - Browser non supportato rilevato
Old 05-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Marika

As the name suggests, Hotel Marselis is located pretty close to Marselisborg Manor.

Here is a gallery of Joachim and some cool looking cars from Aarhus Stiftstidende, the local paper: Se billederne: Prins Joachim gør klar til Classic Race Aarhus | stiften.dk
Old 05-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Will there be a race soon that Joachim will be participating in?
It's great seeing Marie at such events that Joachim enjoys.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Will there be a race soon that Joachim will be participating in?
It's great seeing Marie at such events that Joachim enjoys.
Yes, Joachim is taking part in a classic car race this weekend in Aarhus, right next to Marselisborg. I presume they are staying there.
Our Marie will hand out the prizes tomorrow, so we can expect to see more of her.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Prince Joachim participated in the race yesterday, May 14, but he had bad luck:

** stiften.dk: Rasende prins udgik af Classic Race **

** Prinsen rasede da han måtte køre i pit i utide ** translation **
Old 05-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Poor Joachim. He really is a passionate driver!
His car overheated and that was it.
He had no chance of winning anywat, a Swede participated with car much more more powerful and more tuned, so.....

It's not the first time we've seen Joachim hopping mad, because the car broke down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Prince Joachim participated in the race yesterday, May 14, but he had bad luck:

** stiften.dk: Rasende prins udgik af Classic Race **

** Prinsen rasede da han måtte køre i pit i utide ** translation **
Old 05-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

His emotional outburst didn't look prince-like but it's understandable as to his passion for racing..

Yesterday, May 15, Princess Marie has handed out the trophies at the Classic Car Race, I wonder
if Joachim attended as well or if he refused to , maybe we'll get more pics of that soon:

** Se billederne Prinsesse Marie ylder vinderen af Classic Race **
Old 05-17-2011, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Oh so angry he is Prince Joachim ...
Title of the article published by svenskdam.se/, read it translated here
Old 05-17-2011, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

More nice pics of the couple attending the Classic Race Race can be found here:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** purepeople gallery **
Old 05-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #20, 2011.
Joachim og Marie på hjemmebane - Joachim and Marie on home ground.
Written by our reporter on the racing tracks, Ken Richter.

As you know Joachim took part with his team in the Classic Race in his Cortina from 1965, right next to Marselisborg Manor. M&J lived in an adjescent building to the manor during the weekend the races lasted.
Bette Henrik stayed at home at Schackenborg because as Joachim put it: "He is not with us because he is still to small. Apart from that there is too much noise".

Joachim started out well. Alas his car broke down during the first day and Joachim was not pleased at all! No!
However one of his teammates secured a trophy.
Joachim said afterwards, when his bloodpressure had dropped: "Of course it was my ambition to stand on top of the podium but it didn't work out as planned. These are the terms, but I'll be back next year". He knows the area very well: "To me it's like being on home ground. I know all the roads - also the shortcuts, which we unfortunately can't use".

La charmant Marie was watching the races, with and without her husband. When she wasn't driven around as befits a royal. - In a golfcar.
Our Marie looks great in jeans!

As usual no PET nor any other police officers in sight.

Marie handed out the trophies.
But while she was was in Aarhus, she visited the Girls Project, the Work Shop, which is for girls suffering from autism, in the age of twelve to sixteen.
The work shop is a club for the girls and here they can interact and get involved in things under controlled and calm circumstances. These are all girls who suffer from fairly mild cases of autism.
There are eight girls who use this club regularly.
Marie handed over 400.000 DKK to the club.

She said to our reporter: "It's a really good place, where the girls find friends and help. Autism is after all a handicap that involves the entire family".

Fourteen year old Kia said about Marie's visit: "We could really see that the Princess tried to understand us. It's nice that the royals bother (*) to help us".

(*) Gider = bother. But the word doesn't necessarily have the same negative meaning as in English. In the mouth of Kia here, it's a praise.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
- And who says all my arguments has to be objective?
Objective, no. Consistent, yes.

It may be "refreshing", as in "not everyone is doing it", and while I prefer honesty over insincerity, I also prefer politeness and courtesy over obnoxiousness.

Now, I don't think too much of the pictures of Marie looking bored. Still photography does not tell the entire truth. If one half-blinks, it easily looks like you are half asleep, and personally I can look massively disinterested in something, while actually paying the utmost attention to what is being said. I think in the end it comes down to the fact that people want to be decieved and the gossip press loves to have something that peoples mind can extrapolate on - such as how bored X was, or how drunk Y got.

Still photos of QM2 with her lazy eye makes her look like a drunken idiot. But people have seen and heard her often enough to disregard that "trait". Marie (and others) have performed publicly only so often so people haven't formed a deeper image of her. And of course if you married someone that everyone thinks is an idiot, you yourself must be an idiot too. Or golddigger or something worse.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinther View Post
Objective, no. Consistent, yes.
Hm, sometimes I think people take these things a bit too serious.

Let me make one thing absolutely clear, no one, no one at all should ever demand of me that my arguments should be consistent or not.
The world is not black and white, Nwinther.

Sometimes I look at the screen in bisbelief.
Marie and Joachim - and the rest of the DRF are human beings. And human beings have faults, repeat faults.
That doesn't make them bad persons, it doesn't make them incompetent and it doesn't make them less likable.
When reading some of the critique here, I often get the distinct feeling that some critizise a particular person for no other reason that they simply don't like that person.

Now, I happen to like Marie and I happen to respect Joachim. That doesn't mean that they don't have faults. Of course they do, just like any other human being and I aknowledge that.
I take a perverted delight in defending Joachim and Marie and praising them whenever I can, especially when they recieve, what I see as unnecessary critizism.

Try look at things in a more nuanced way.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Courtier

If we wind back the clock to their late teens, many Danes
perceived Prince Joachim as a better option for the throne! It was
at a time when CP Frederik hated his future role and did his best
to rebel against it. Prince Joachim never had this youthful rebellion
and considering the few royal appearances and duties he had at
the time, he was a better 'performer ' , speaking a more
articulate Danish.

Perceptions changed along with the maturity processes of the princes.

I won't rule out that Joachim would do better in a IQ-test; he's
definetely still a better public speaker, as has been mentioned.

Today however I prefer CP Frederik for a king! He has apparently
suffered in coming to terms with his lot in life and I hope that it has
given him some wisdom, which could be useful in his future role.

I can only echo other posters that Prince Joachim is 'his mother's son',
as we say. He comes through as regal, reserved and he is allegedly
pulling rank at times! It goes without saying that royalty need to
protect themselves from intrusive and 'royalty struck' members of
the public, but there are different ways of doing this.
IMO Prince Joachim's way is counter productive for the DRF.
Hopefully I'll never get stuck in a lift with HRH!

Viv
Old 05-20-2011, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a Billed-Bladet gallery of Marie and Joachim at the Classic Race in Århus last weekend:

** Classic Race Århus 2011 **
Old 05-21-2011, 04:47 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

A large portion of recent posts have been moved to the new thread, The Future of the Danish Monarchy, as they were not related to Joachim and Marie's current events. Please continue that discussion there.

The Danish Moderating Team
Old 10-17-2011, 04:30 AM
Heir Apparent

I see from the DRF calendar, that Joachim and our Marie are going to Bruxelles Thursday next week.
In order to take part in the inauguration of a church, consecreted (I believe it's called) to the Virgin Mary (she's called Maria, here in DK).
As there are probably a good handful of churches in Bruxelles and most of them Catholic, can anyone in the know inform us?

Is this a new church?
Is it normal to invite foreign royals to the inaguration of a new church, or more likely a cathedral?
Is it an old church which has been restored? That would be very nice and interesting, but what has that got to do with the DRF?
Why would J&M (who on top of that are Protestants) even go to the inauguration of what must be a Catholic church in a foreign country, if it has nothing to do with DK?
Old 10-18-2011, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

There is a Danish community in Brussels. This year they've been able to buy a new church building
and this month it will be consecrated and it will get the Danish name Vor Frue Kirke. Princess Astrid
of Belgium will attend and Prince Joachim and Princess Marie are invited as official guests as to the
Danish relation/origin.

You can find a whole website about the Danish community
Old 10-18-2011, 03:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

There is a Danish community in Brussels. This year they've been able to buy a new church building
and this month it will be consecrated and it will get the Danish name Vor Frue Kirke. Princess Astrid
of Belgium will attend and Prince Joachim and Princess Marie are invited as official guests as to the
Danish relation/origin.

You can find a whole website about the Danish community
Thanks, Iceflower.

It was the name that confused me. Vor Frue Kirke = The Church of Our Lady = Virgin Mary.
I thought only Catholic churches were named in honor of Virgin Mary.

FasterB, can you educate us?

Tags
current events, joachim, marie, prince joachim, princess marie