Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, Current Events 3: May - September 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well fashion apart I also think that she should start to do something!!!! To me being a Royal is a job these days, Royals need to work for their country, having benefits for that yes but they need to to something. Not only having good homes, good castles and sitting all day doing nothing!!! They live because the country says so and because the country supports them so they need to give something back. Marie is married to a royal so she has lots of advantages, she has a good live, she doesn't work, she doesn't support herself, so she needs to give back to those who support her luxurious live:cool:

IIRC the court said that she is at the moment an apprentice of being a princess. She does the occasional appearance, of course, but the most important job for her at the moment is to learn the ropes of being a princess of Denmark: learning the language and the culture of the country she is now a representative of. She has her whole life to gives something in return and I don't see her as being idle or only aiming at enjoying her position. The German-language newspaper of Northern Schleswig, which is the Southern part of Denmark where Marie lives now at Schackenborg, reported that the princess already has shown interest in the countryside there and they are happy about it and with her. So there's a start already.

Sorry but the outifit is horrible, the blouse is horrible and that troussers and that jacket didn't match at all...:bang:

Totally agree. There is something very cheap in the quality of Marie's clothing - the fabrics and the styles. That trench coat is totally out of place at this event - a lovely wrap in lightweight wool would have looked so much better. A pretty daytime dress with a wrap would have been nice too.
Marie dresses way too informally for these official events she has been attending - Joachim in his suits and ties and Marie in her informal outfits --- like a Dad and his teenage daughter.
I have a feeling that Marie is pretty immature for her age -

And, by the way, when did Letizia, future queen of Spain, attend her first solo events?

No clue; especially since I don't follow the couple that closely nor the Royal House of Spain in general, so I'm the wrong person to direct that question too.:)

No clue; especially since I don't follow the couple that closely nor the Royal House of Spain in general, so I'm the wrong person to direct that question too.:)

I will help you out GT :flowers:
Letizia, a CP unlike Marie, had her first solo event in November 2004 (6 months after her wedding) but only but accident, as Felipe had to fly abroad to attend a funeral. So instead of cancelling the royal appearance they sent Letizia alone. Her first official solo event only happended in October 2006, almost 2 1/2 years (!) after her wedding (she did 2 speeches inbetween but Felipe was present). From that perspective plenty of time for the second wife of the second son of the Danish Queen to get familiar with her duties.

But, back to topic Marie, hopefully she will start her solo activities much earlier than that.

Not trying to get things too off topic here, but Letizia was also a native of Spain, and she knew the language and the culture. Marie's most important task at the moment, IMO, is to get acquainted with her new country: learn and become fluent in Danish, know the culture, meet the people. The solo events, official patronages, etc. will follow soon, I know it.;)

There is something very cheap in the quality of Marie's clothing - the fabrics and the styles.
I sometimes remember the good old advice of "What not to wear": Never wear colour with black, it makes you look cheap. Probably she should ditch the black pants and black skirts style.

I really don't think Princess Marie looks cheap. I don't like her outfit that much - but it is far away from looking cheap.

i think she just needs some time to decide what she will concentrate on. ...... i'm also waiting impatiently to see what she decides to cover in her role, but also quite understanding of the fact that her role may not be such. marie may be more suited to be along her husband and support his activities instead of taking on completely new ones as well or may not be given a list of patronages such as mary has, that's something the danish court will decide and we just have to wait to see what happens.
in any case, i'm sure she will do a good job. she has only been married for 3 months, which included her honeymoon and the royal summer vacation.

True, but I would like to see more of her consistently now. Marie could attend events for a wide range of 'causes' and then narrow down her focus after 6 months or a year of marriage.

IIRC the court said that she is at the moment an apprentice of being a princess. She does the occasional appearance, of course, but the most important job for her at the moment is to learn the ropes of being a princess of Denmark: learning the language and the culture of the country she is now a representative of. She has her whole life to gives something in return and I don't see her as being idle or only aiming at enjoying her position. ...

It is important that she is learning about Denmark, but I still feel that maybe she could prioritise the language and take on some more events or public appearances, and the rest can come gradually. Just MO, for what its worth.

I will help you out GT :flowers:
Letizia, a CP unlike Marie, had her first solo event in November 2004 (6 months after her wedding) but only but accident, as Felipe had to fly abroad to attend a funeral. So instead of cancelling the royal appearance they sent Letizia alone. Her first official solo event only happended in October 2006, almost 2 1/2 years (!) after her wedding (she did 2 speeches inbetween but Felipe was present). From that perspective plenty of time for the second wife of the second son of the Danish Queen to get familiar with her duties.

But, back to topic Marie, hopefully she will start her solo activities much earlier than that.

Not trying to get things too off topic here, but Letizia was also a native of Spain, and she knew the language and the culture. Marie's most important task at the moment, IMO, is to get acquainted with her new country: learn and become fluent in Danish, know the culture, meet the people. The solo events, official patronages, etc. will follow soon, I know it.;)

It did take Letizia awhile to start doing her own events, but as I understand it once the engagement was announced she began her 'work' from that day forward? Correct me if I'm wrong, I just remember reading something like that somewhere.
It comes back to the fact that all the royal houses and princesses are different :)

Why all the worries about Maries clothes? Take it easy, folks! We've got one fashion princess already ;)!

I sometimes remember the good old advice of "What not to wear": Never wear colour with black, it makes you look cheap. Probably she should ditch the black pants and black skirts style.

OMG, I live in black pants and always wear a colored sweater or top with them - sometimes a black top.
I have never felt that I looked cheap -

I thought she said she wasn't really into fashion? If I am correct then it makes a heck of a lot of sense for her lack of "look". Her style is obviously way too under-casual and many times she looks extremely frumpy. But hey if she's comfortable then that is all that matters, right. I just wish she would find a nicely fitted pant and wear them for once because as of late her pants seem to be ill fitting and way too tight.

As for the event itself, it's good to see her finally out and about, but I would like to see her tackle official events alone for once as well as make a long speech in Danish. I mean, it is about time already.
What are her duties may I ask as she is the second wife of a man who at this point is 4th in line to the throne. She stated in the engagement interview that she was happy to be a housewife so perhaps that is all she wants. I know I am not Danish but I would prefer her stepsons to have a smooth and untroubled adjustment to their fathers marriage than Marie suddenly conquering the world and solving its problems.. I dont particularly like her fashion choices and in her position would carve out my own space but Marie is not me so perhaps a little patience is called for:D

It is nice to see that Princess Marie performs engagements alongside Prince Joachim. She looks radiant and confident. She progresses in learning the Danish. That is great ... I just wish she paid more attention to her outfits and how well her outfit would coordinate with that of her husband. As noted by members of this Forum, some of Princess Marie's outfits tended to look as if they were put together in haste. I do not expect Princess Marie to become a fashion icon. It would be really great to see polished Princess Marie, whose effortlessly elegant understated look nicely emphasizes her husband's official look.

What are her duties may I ask as she is the second wife of a man who at this point is 4th in line to the throne.

You tell me.

She stated in the engagement interview that she was happy to be a housewife so perhaps that is all she wants.

True, but if that should be the permanent case then Joachim's income from the taxpayers should be cut in half... in my opinion.

I know I am not Danish but I would prefer her stepsons to have a smooth and untroubled adjustment to their fathers marriage than Marie suddenly conquering the world and solving its problems..

True, but what does that have to do with Marie taking on her own patronages? I mean that is and has been the issue for the past several posts.

I dont particularly like her fashion choices and in her position would carve out my own space but Marie is not me so perhaps a little patience is called for:D

Sure, I guess.
:)

:flowers:ok I think it is a bit soon to tear her apart and I must state again that I am not Danish so my opinion doesnt really count. I just think it is very soon to tear the lady apart , she is not a future Queem/consort, her children (if any) do not inherit the throne ( unless disaster strikes) I am not well informed of the allowances paid to her husband so I cannot comment on them. I can reiterate that in the engagement interview the only ambitions she expressed was to be a housewife. Not very glamorous or high profile in any ones opinion but maybe thats Marie? Like I said I personally would do things differently but then wouldnt we all be perfect if we were princessess????:lol:

:flowers:ok I think it is a bit soon to tear her apart

Ouch thats a bit rough. I'd like to think of it as critiquing (sp.?) her.

and I must state again that I am not Danish so my opinion doesnt really count.

Everyone's opinion counts, its just you and I happen not to be Danish taxpayers and as such have less vested in it ;)

she is not a future Queem/consort, her children (if any) do not inherit the throne ( unless disaster strikes)

Well you have a point, but she is still a princess of Denmark, and as such I feel that she needs to be seen to be doing something. I personally dont care whether she does it with her husband or not, but I do hope that she will have the chance to demonstrate well what Danish she has learnt.

I am not well informed of the allowances paid to her husband so I cannot comment on them.

Nor am I - not interested enough.
Like I said I personally would do things differently but then wouldnt we all be perfect if we were princessess????:lol:

Oh wouldnt we just.... :whistling: :ROFLMAO: ;)

:flowers:ok I think it is a bit soon to tear her apart

No one is tearing her apart; some are simply asking questions as well as voicing their opinions. This is a discussion forum afterall and in order for it to work varying opinions count.

again that I am not Danish so my opinion doesnt really count.

Of course it does. Everyones opinion counts... Danish or not on The Royal Forums. Note my latter comment.

she is not a future Queem/consort, her children (if any) do not inherit the throne ( unless disaster strikes)

True, but she still is apart of the royal family and it would be nice to see her take on a few of her own patronages. Not only will it show her new subjects that she cares, but it will also give her some confidence which she seems to be lacking, in my opinion. Furthermore, it would quell some of the negative grumbles from various royal watchers and journalists.

I can reiterate that in the engagement interview the only ambitions she expressed was to be a housewife.

Which is now infamous... the infamous quote which could imply "not really caring" attitude.

Not very glamorous or high profile in any ones opinion but maybe thats Marie?

Probably. I guess some actually had high hopes for Denmark's new princess. Have they been let down so far? Depends on who you ask.

OMG, I live in black pants and always wear a colored sweater or top with them - sometimes a black top.
I have never felt that I looked cheap -

Sophia Loren once wrote in a book that for her most of her life it has been a necessity to always look chic. She said you never know who is ringing and for what important reason. She then goes on to describe her "uniform" as she named it: black trousers, a coloured blouse or pullover and a silk scarf. Well, she should know!

Probably dark grey would have created a more coordinated look with the blouse. Anyway, I had high hopes for Marie bringing in some french chick.

Joachim looks much healthier in these photos. Marie actually looks very uncomfortable and ill-at-ease in some of these photos. The blouse is okay (I think it is kind of cute that Joachim's tie is the same color as her blouse), but her trousers are awful. I don't think her outfit looks cheap; it just doesn't look good on her.

tomorrow night joachim and marie are attending the science night at the radisson sas :)

Second, so far, in my opinion, Marie hasn't kept up with royal standards as of late, in the truest sense. She has and as the court has said, has no plans on tackling events solo. As a royal representative, or any for that matter, one would expect a person in that rep position to perform a duty...solo. Not just accompanying her man every single time. Yes, I am fully aware that she may not be all that comfortable speaking Danish nor taking on any patronages of her own as of late, but my heavens it's the middle of September already. When will she feel comfy? At this point, I doubt she will in the near future hence by 2011.

So, if she wants to stand by her man and only attend official events with him then at least she could do is look the part and not look so frumpy all the time.
Well the princess of asturias has done that ever since the day she got married 4 years ago, with 3 or 4 exceptions, and she is going to be queen someday.
At least, Marie has a minor role as she is the second wife of, the second prince of Denmark.
Letizia is the first wife of the crown prince and mother to the future regent, so i'd say that situation is more critical.
I do hope, though, for Marie's own sake that she'll have some duties on her own some day, and patronages, otherwise I'm worried she'll get really borred in her big castle in North Jutland.
I agree with you, GliterringTiaras, on the last sentence. However, I do think she looked really sweet at the latest event, with the light-purple top :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom