Prince Joachim and Marie Cavallier, Current Events 2: May 2007 - May 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On something completely different:

There is a team from DR (the state-owned Danish television station) following Marie at the moment, so that the Danes will learn about her. The documentary they're making will be aired in Denmark before the wedding.

The documentary maker is Per Wennick, who has won awards in Denmark and abroad for his products.

Gee, I guess I should be more laxed if I were a Danish taxpayer, and brush off my soon to be princess' skills. Whether she lives there now or lives in Turkmenistan until May 24, 2008, I would probably feel a tad more confident knowing that my soon-to-be princess is actually doing everything she can to become Danish. Thereby, making a concerted effort to blend in, learn the language, and play the game.

I mean, afterall, if I were a Danish citizen I would be paying for her lifestyle, and it would be nice to know that she is really trying, going all out, for her new home country. But I guess for some, the taxpayers, that's no biggie... you know, pfft, no obligation on her part. Memorize one or two standard paragraphs and one is golden.

Strange.:cool:

There is a team from DR (the state-owned Danish television station) following Marie at the moment, so that the Danes will learn about her. The documentary they're making will be aired in Denmark before the wedding.

Oh how lovely. I'm looking forward to it.

Edited to add: There's an interview with Marie in Billedbladet this week where she talks about learning Danish:
"I don't work, anymore. I'm preparing for the move to Denmark. And I'm attempting to learn Danish. It progresses nicely; I practice and it is fun. Even if I also think it is difficult, it is always fun to learn a new language and I've begun to understand quite a lot."

Yes, she did mention that in the Her og Nu video "I've had a couple of lessons... yes."

Last edited:

The documentary maker is Per Wennick, who has won awards in Denmark and abroad for his products.

So they are making a documentary about Marie sort of like the one they did for Mary? That's so cool! Can't wait to see it!!!

Well, Marie came off o.k. with the press in the video. (they ask such stupid questions!!) I'm still not to sure of her for some reason. there is just something about her that I can not put my finger on. She seemed annoyed when Joachim gave her the first kiss and then the press guys asked for another one. when Joachim pulled her towards him, she seemed "really annoyed".
He has that look about him when he looks at Marie, which is the same look Alexandra had on her wedding day looking at him. I know that does not make sense, but I don't know how to explain it. It's like one person is "truely, deeply, madly in love" with the other person, and the other person is just "in love".
Whatever the case, everyone looks happy. So good for them.

When the press began to talk about Marie, I saw a spontaneous young woman, pretty, natural and smiling.
She was criticized immediately: "too naive", "too talkative", "not perfect like Alexandra", "less elegant than Mary" etc. Some Danish press has searched, 15 years ago, in private life of Marie, to sell its dirty papers.
Now she is less natural than before... she looks sad.
I am French like Marie... I would have preferred to flee Danmark rather than make efforts to stay.

I’m really happy they are doing this. I really enjoyed the one they made about Mary, it was nice to see her and Frederick interacting with her family and friends. I will be good to get a chance to do the same with Marie.

Why is it okay for Marie (or anybody else for that matter including those who move to the US) to take the lax way?
I didn't say it's ok to take the lax way.
But how do you know Marie is taking the lax way? Just because she hasn't said anything in Danish in front of a TV-camera yet?
We should keep in mind that Alexandra didn't speak Danish in public until 2 days before the wedding (IIRC).

Didn't Mary once state during her engagement press conference that she herself wasn't as knowledgable in speaking danish as some of the media had pronounced her to be and had just began to have her danish lessons some weeks before? So essentially, she wasn't fluent at THAT time and she was THEN the future wife of the crown princess. In time, she became fluent. I don't understand the harshness in the critique of Marie learning danish so quickly. The wedding is three months away which will give her more than enough time to learn (not everything, of course).

Last edited:
I didn't say it's ok to take the lax way.

I wasn't referring to you specifically.:)

But how do you know Marie is taking the lax way?

"I've had a few lessons... yes." Marie Cavallier several days ago when asked by a reporter.

Just because she hasn't said anything in Danish in front of a TV-camera yet?

Read the above post and the latest Her og Nu interview from the ski slopes.

We should keep in mind that Alexandra didn't speak Danish in public until 2 days before the wedding (IIRC).

Hence you.

Didn't Mary once state during her engagement press conference that she herself wasn't as knowledgable in speaking danish as some of the media had pronounced her to be and had just began to have her danish lessons some weeks before?

No, that is not entirely correct:).

Mary said that she read that she was perfectly fluent in the language. However, she was taking lessons during her entire time in Denmark. In her documentary, Mary Elizabeth Donaldson, Mary spoke Danish to Frederik whilst driving around in Australia and Tasmania, though she noted that they do speak English together because "...that's how we got to know each other."

She stated in another interview, which can be found in the Videos topic in the main DRF forum as well as in the CPC sub-forum, that she wanted to speak in Danish to press because it was important to her. Furthermore, she learned and continued to learn Danish prior, during, and after her engagement; she felt she needed to express herself in English as well as in Danish during the press conference. Again, it was a brilliant move that Mary spoke a bit of Danish during her press conference as well as in English. As a result, it endeared the public to her. More importantly, she made the effort.

I don't understand the harshness in the critique of Marie learning danish so quickly.

I never said Marie had to learn the language quickly, on the spot... pronto, nor did I say she must be fluent by the time of her engagement conference. However, I do find it bizarre that she didn't know the language and can barely say one or two words (a reporter asked her if she could say one or two words in Danish when she was on the ski slopes, and she said, no.)

Perhaps what it all boils down to is that there are some who believe that learning a new language, when moving or visiting, to a new country isn't all that important. Slow progression seems to be the key for them. Also, it seems, to me, respect for other cultures has been thrown out the window. As I noted before, courtesy when in a host country is very important to me. It shows respect and interest. But clearly others do not feel that way. To each their own, I guess.

:)

Last edited:
I never said Marie had to learn the language quickly, on the spot... pronto, nor did I say she must be fluent by the time of her engagement conference. However, I do find it bizarre that she didn't know the language and can barely say one or two words (a reporter asked her if she could say one or two words in Danish when she was on the ski slopes, and she said, no.)

I also find it strange that there are some people who do not understand importance of learning a new language when moving to a new country. It seems, to me, respect has been thrown out the window. As I noted before, courtesy when in a host country is very important to me, but clearly it is not for others. To each their own, I guess.

it's not like if she doesn't speak danish at this point she is being rude. she is still learning and may just not feel comfortable at the moment. i'm sure we will hear her speaking danish at her wedding at some point. while she didn't speak, she did say in the interview she liked danish and looked forward to learning more, which shows respect for her new country.

it's not like if she doesn't speak danish at this point she is being rude. she is still learning and may just not feel comfortable at the moment. i'm sure we will hear her speaking danish at her wedding at some point. while she didn't speak, she did say in the interview she liked danish and looked forward to learning more, which shows respect for her new country.

That may be true for some, but as I implied before, it depends on the person viewing the situation. We all have different outlooks and values. Mine is vastly different from othes, obviously. I view a situation from a different angle. Others do not.

In the end, it all comes down to perspectives.

:)

Last edited:
I see a nervous bride who may have said that she had taken a couple of classes just to respond, when in reality it is probably a whole lot more. I think it is sweet that she is not moving in with the groom prior to marriage. His ancestors are probably smiling down on her for this move.

As a US citizen I don't have expectations of her prior to her wedding, nor after it either. I am not aware of a book that dictates how a soon-to-be royal should behave so perhaps we should wait till after the wedding to analyze her faults.

As a US citizen I don't have expectations of her prior to her wedding, nor after it either. I am not aware of a book that dictates how a soon-to-be royal should behave so perhaps we should wait till after the wedding to analyze her faults.

Why, when we can have so much fun doing it now?

But seriously, I've watched this video a number of times (one of these days I'll get a life), mostly because I'm fascinated with how different Marie seems in videos than in still pictures.

In this interview and in the engagement interview, it seemed that Joachim was the pursuer and that Marie was and is the pursued, which is not the way it looks in photographs, where she seems at least an equal partner in the relationship.

Did anyone notice that look she gave one of the photographers when he apparently stepped on her foot or in some way (off camera) got too close? I think Marie will play "hard to get" with the press and maybe with Joachim too.

She didn't seam to be like that at all "hard to get" but I think she has changed now!!!!!!Like I have say before she has changed yes!!!She is not that normal girl she used to be. She knows now how to anser the media, short answers yes, she doens't seam so friendly has she used to be, she has turn to be a royal now and not a normal person.

Apparently it seems as if an inexperienced and incredibly gullible journalist from Se og Hør decided to litter flyers around NYC asking if anyone knows anything about a woman named Marie Cavallier; if they do to please call them and a cash reward will be given for information.

So someone called noting that they knew her, and told the journalist that she was a stripper. The Se og Hør journalist fell for it, but what they didn't know is that the person calling was joking, and was in fact working for the legit Danish newspaper, Politiken.

Depending on your sense of humor, you may or may not find this story hilarious... or not:D.

I'm sure Marie and the gullible journalist aren't laughing.

Thanks for the link, Mitchell:flowers:.

Honestly, I am surprised how clueless the Se og Hør journalist is.:rolleyes: The guy pretending to know Marie, "Jake Hallman", has an obvious European accent... he doesn't even sound like a true New Yorker or an American.

Thanks for the translation, GlitteringTiaras

Thanks for the link, Mitchell

Poor Marie...

and what a stupid journalist!

let that be a lesson for all the others...

a french proverb says "tel est pris qui croyait prendre" (he is taken who thought he could take):lol:

Hello!, can someone translate this article?
HER&NU :: HOT NEWS
Is that a new photo of them?

It's about how Joachim will be given 823,596 DKR more after the wedding - Marie's allowance.

I'd be curious as to where they have the number from - because I can't see that any resolution has been added/changed in Joachim's apanage in the Danish laws, for now.

Oh! Thanks Morwegianne and Her Majesty.

It's about how Joachim will be given 823,596 DKR more after the wedding - Marie's allowance.

I'd be curious as to where they have the number from - because I can't see that any resolution has been added/changed in Joachim's apanage in the Danish laws, for now.

Curious indeed. But with today's dollar value that equates to roughly $173,000 per annum.

Norwegianne, AFAIK the Danish Prime Minister told the press in an interview that Joachim will be given ~900,000 DKK more after the wedding.

Last edited:
Time to close this thread. The next thread can be found here. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom