The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps, but she is a very smart woman, and maybe Prince Gustav is the one who is pinching himself over the fact his love is well rounded.

Besides writing several books (one which is still being produced), she, like Queen Margrethe, is an accomplished artist. All of the artwork in her Nigel books are by Carina.

Prior to moving to Bad Berleburg, Carina was working as an artist as well as working as a calligrapher at a well-known store. She also dabbles in photography and other aspects of design.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
Well, Georg Friedrich and Gustav are in a similar situation: Gustav because of his grandfather´s will and Georg will get in big trouble with his uncles if he doesn´t marry a noble woman......
They need to step into the 21st century. Georg better start working on his situation now! He may fall in love with a regular girl too.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Heir Apparent

According to Billed Bladet, Carina Axelsson won Best Dressed Royal Woman for 2007 in their annual thingamajig.

Click here to read the article plus see a beautiful photo of Carina (which was from an event she attended with Princess Benedikte as well as Prince Gustav last year.)

Several weeks ago, I noted that Carina established the Nigel Awards which hands out various prizes to the best stories by the local kids. These awards not only encourage the children of Bad Berleburg to express themselves through creative writing, but through art via painting and so forth. There is now a German article which notes:

Quote:
Carina Axelsson wanted more life in the castle walls of the old royal residence. That is the culturally dedicated and courageous woman with a lot of charm and her idea succeeded.
As well as this article from the Bad Berleburg official website detailing the event, when, where, etc.

Quote:
166 pupils the primary schools in Bad Berleburg have on the first Nigel Award, the Children and Youth Award for Creative Writing and Illustration by Carina Axelsson. The small dragon Nigel images from the book by Carina Axelsson provided the inspiration for the prize. The enthusiasm of the children's book author is on the young artists and writers übergesprungen (I don't know the English word, sorry) that shows only the lively participation.

Carina thought of the idea, with strong support from Gustav and blessings from Princess Benedikte, for the prize after reading her first book, Nigel, to the children. There are several photos which you can view,here, here, here, here, here, and url.

According to the article, Carina hopes to make the Nigel Awards a yearly event. Bravo, Carina!

There are many, many more photos, but I believe these will do for now.

Also, this past holiday, Princess Benedikte along with Carina Axelsson hosted a party at Schloss Berleburg. Here is a photo from the event and the article.

*I would like to give a big thank you to Stig for finding the German article.*
Old 01-10-2008, 01:59 AM
Gentry

With all the complications surrounding this, I don't think a legal decision is coming any time soon. I think the best possible solution to the problem is to continue on as they are. Any children can inherit, the parents don't have to be married.

Moving to California, and specifically to Santa Cruz is an interesting idea. I think it would be a huge culture shock to Gustav to live there full time. It's a wonderful place for a vacation, though.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Heir Apparent

You never know.

The situation may suddenly turn in his favor, but in the meantime, it's great to know that Carina has not only been accepted by DRF, but by the people of Bad Berleburg.

She has established the Nigel Award, accompanying several official events with Princess Benedikte and Prince Gustav (one in Denmark and recently attending a Christmas event for the senior citizens of Bad Berleburg) as well as helping to restore the schloss.

There are several other events she has participated in since moving to Germany such as attending a town festival with Gustav as well as various noble weddings, a royal birthday in Sweden, and other activities in Denmark.

Again, she has accomplished quite a bit, and I cannot imagine that should would want to leave her adopted town and country for California... I know I wouldn't.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Since it's been incredibly slow on the Danish Royal family front, I decided to look around for some articles on the other members of the DRF, and I found this article from June 2007, regarding Carina and Gustav from KVP.se.

The writer discusses their relationship and notes that she is the "most interesting..." out of the all the ladies -- wifes, girlfriends, etc. The article goes on to discuss the issue regarding the Will as well a detailing her journey as a model starting in San Francisco, to NYC, and finally ending up in Paris where she appeared in French Vogue as well as Marie Claire magazines to name a few. We all know the rest of the story -- she quit modelling became an illustrator, wrote a book, met Gustav, moved to Berleburg -- in the end, it's a nice article.

Finally, another article this time from the Swedish paper/magazine Svensk Damtidning. The author gives the reader a bit more insight into her life. For example, Carina has a brother named Erik who is studying history and a younger sister named Liselotte, who works with computers (I think computer graphics, but I'm not sure.) The article notes how her parents, Bertil and Alicia, met each other and their life together with the kids in Santa Cruz.

Apparently, Carina has extended family in Sweden, one of whom Margit Axelsson, spoke with Swede Damtidning. I believe the article states that she visited her family in Sweden with Gustav (I can't make it out so if you are fluent in Swedish and would like to translate that part of the article -- using your own words -- I would appreciate it.)

The article ends, again, with stuff that we already know:
5'7"
Brown hair and eyes
Parents: Bertil and Alicia
Siblings: Erik and Lisel
Santa Cruz
Model
NYC
Moved to Paris in 1995
Former assistant to John Galliano
Illustrator
Attended the Ecole Boulle in Paris for design and illustration
Author of the book, Nigel in Hyde Park
Has a book deal with Assouline Publishing
Currently working on her third book
Loves European history and Country Life magazine
Decorating
Moved to scholss Berleburg in mid 2006
the Will
and Life Companion (as one German article called in, which can be read two posts above) of Prince Gustav.
Wears a ruby and diamond ring on her ring finger, by the way. I'm sure it's a promise ring.

Finally, just to let you know I don't speak Swedish -- as if you couldn't tell -- and still a bad beginner when it comes to Danish, so if I made any grave mistakes and would like to translate the article -- using your own words -- please do so. We would all appreciate it.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Nobility

Does anyone know where Carina's parents and siblings live now?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

From what I understand, and read, her parents still live in California.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
From what I understand, and read, her parents still live in California.

Is Santa Cruz a small town and San Francisco is the nearest city to her hometown?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 AM
Heir Apparent

It's south of San Francisco and north of Monterey. The population is smaller than Los Angeles, but I personally wouldn't call it a small town. There are a lot of old hippies, artists, skaters, and surfers in SC so it's kind of funky, but in a good way.

Santa Cruz is a beautiful place so if you are ever in San Fran head on down to SC and also take a drive to Carmel. You won't regret it.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Nobility

Thank you Glitteringtiaras. Do you know how Gustav and Carina met?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe View Post
I think that Queen Margrethe is abel to grant a titel to every person as she pleas aslon the titel is her in Denmark.
When she and Princeconsort Henrik got married ther was a question if King Frederik 9, woud grant Henriks parrents a titel and the same question came back when Frederik and Joachim got married to their brieds.
Carina has to come from a noble family with at least 4 generations of nobility preceding her. Being ennobled by QMII would not be sufficient to get around the terms of the will.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Courtier

No one seems to have heard anything about a court date; are they possibly waiting for the person who is insisting that the terms of Gustav's grandfather's will be enforced, expire?

I am not attempting to be morbid; but it isn't this a vaild question?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, it is Michelle.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I haven't heard anything either. No one really knows what is happening, including those on another forum I belong to that specifically discusses German and Austrian royalty as well as aristocracy. I guess it's safe to say that it is still in the courts, slowly processing; however, one can say that no news is good news, right?

In the meantime, Gustav has been quite busy. A couple of days ago I posted two reports plus a photo of Gustav working on his latest project. You can read it here.

Carina, according to various German sources, is still working on her latest book and helping with the restoration. Also, in the latest photos I have I noticed a very beautiful ring on her left hand ring finger. I don't believe it is an engagement ring, but perhaps a life lovers ring symbolizing their life companions union.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
....Also, in the latest photos I have I noticed a very beautiful ring on her left hand ring finger. I don't believe it is an engagement ring, but perhaps a life lovers ring symbolizing their life companions union.
Would this ring happen to be a ruby surrounded by small diamonds GT? Sort of like Sarah Ferguson's engagement ring?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Would this ring happen to be a ruby surrounded by small diamonds GT? Sort of like Sarah Ferguson's engagement ring?

Yup. You can see it in several posts above. In fact, I think I may have a nice semi close up shot of the ring in my pictures thingy. I'll look for it and post it in a minute.

Okay, my semi close up can be seen here and here. There not very good, but it's something. I wish I knew how to get a tight shot of the ring.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Yup. You can see it in several posts above. In fact, I think I may have a nice semi close up shot of the ring in my pictures thingy. I'll look for it and post it in a minute.

Okay, my semi close up can be seen here and here. There not very good, but it's something. I wish I knew how to get a tight shot of the ring.
Ah! The unofficial engagement ring Carina's been wearing this since before this year's Graasten shoot
Old 02-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Nobility

The Nigel award is so ridiculous!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
The Nigel award is so ridiculous!
In what way is the Nigel award ridiculous ??

I'm just curious to know, since I don't know the first thing about the Nigel award.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Why is that, Guido?

Don't you believe in encouraging the youth to express themselves through the arts? Whether it's creative writing, music, painting, drawing, and so forth? Wouldn't you like to see the younger generation read more, to use their imagination, instead of staring at the television set watching mindless shows as well as playing inane video games all day?

Which is better: Encouraging the youth to be creative? Or, to let them be yet another generation whose reading skills are below the national average?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneborn View Post
In what way is the Nigel award ridiculous ??

I'm just curious to know, since I don't know the first thing about the Nigel award.
Carina created The Nigel Awards, with the encouragement of Gustav and Benedikte, in which, she handed out prizes to the best young writers and artists of Bad Berleburg. The reception took place at the schloss where the youth of Bad Berleburg read their stories and shared their art with others. The press, the townspeople of Bad Berleburg, and the princely family found her efforts to be a grand success. As a result, Carina hopes to make The Nigel Awards a yearly event.

Tags
carina axelsson, prince gustav, prince gustav zu sayn-wittgenstein-berleburg