Prince Christian, Current Events 1: November 2005 - July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JessRulz said:
Totally agree!! Well, at least we hope he'll appreciate it...but oh well
And he's most likely the only 5-month-old on the list! :D

It is in fact very common for Melbourne families to put their children on the list at birth. It makes sense seeing the wait is so long.

prince christian will be part of the balcony scene to celebrate the queen's birthday on april 16!! i can't wait to see him

No more pics of Christian Valdemar ?
He's such a cute baby !
Very much like his mum ! But with his father's eyes, don't you think ?
Best
Audrey

I think it's a good thing that Prince Fred and Princess Mary already have Prince Christian in swimming lessons. He'll grow up healthy if he starts doing sports at an early age. And yes, he is a cutie pie. Does he look like Princess Mary? I can't see the resemblance to either parent...

marilla said:
Little Christian with Grandpa John Donaldson:

I remember reading statistics recently about the obesity rate in Australia but I still never would have imagined Mary's father to look like this. Does he spend a lot of time in Denmark? He must be thrilled to be allowed to tag along to events like this and sit with that gorgeous little prince ... I wish there were some clearer shots of Christian alone :)

wow isn't it striking how much physically Christian takes after his mother?! It's like seeing a little Mary on Mr. Donaldson's lap. On other pictures I tend to think he looks like his grandfather from his dad's side, Henrik/Henry.
(Typically, I've heard anthropologists say, little kids tend to take after the father --so that, way way back in the day, the father knew the kid was his and so had a reason to stick around!)

PreDoc said:
I remember reading statistics recently about the obesity rate in Australia but I still never would have imagined Mary's father to look like this.
You mean to say Mary's dad is obese? Not as far as I remember pictures of their wedding, he isn't. Unless he's had a tad too many Danish rolls to enjoy in recent months! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
He could have big bones. He looked very good at the wedding in his kilt. Now there is a photo to look forward to, Prince christian in a kilt.

princess olga said:
You mean to say Mary's dad is obese? Not as far as I remember pictures of their wedding, he isn't. Unless he's had a tad too many Danish rolls to enjoy in recent months! ;)
I apologize, when I wrote that I was still a bit unsettled by a photo of him in another forum where he appears to be sipping an alcoholic beverage with the future king looking up at him admiringly. Yes of course he is obese but more importantly why do Their Royal Highnesses leave the future king with this person when there are plenty of servants to attend to Christian? It boggles the mind ... why is this individual in Denmark so often anyway? ... why does Frederick tolerate him so much?

PreDoc said:
I apologize, when I wrote that I was still a bit unsettled by a photo of him in another forum where he appears to be sipping an alcoholic beverage with the future king looking up at him admiringly. Yes of course he is obese but more importantly why do Their Royal Highnesses leave the future king with this person when there are plenty of servants to attend to Christian? It boggles the mind ... why is this individual in Denmark so often anyway? ... why does Frederick tolerate him so much?

This "individual"??
Mr. Donaldson is the grandfather of Christian, the father of Mary and Frederik has every reason to 'tolerate' him just as much as Mary will have to 'tolerate' Frederik's parents. There is every indication that Frederik likes his father-in-law a lot.

And the 'individual' works at the Copenhagen University which would explain his presence in Denmark.

I don't understand the contents of your mail; why would any loving parents prefer to let others take care of their little child when a doting grandparent is nearby and wants to sit with him?:confused:

PreDoc said:
you're kidding, right?! First of, I think it's wonderful when ANY grand parent spends quality time with the grandchild. The other thing to remember is that Mary's mother died a while back, so that connection is gone. With Christian's grandparents from his <father's> side in the neighborhood so to speak, and thus readily accessible, it would be perfectly understandable for Mary's father to make the trek from 'down under' to Denmark every so often.

Here's the thing: he doesn't have to. That is, as far as I've read, Mr. Donaldson is currently, or was recently, guest professor at a Danish university. (See, he's a prof. teaching maths I believe.) So that means he lives in the nabe too and can visit when he's not working. Good for him. Good for Mary and Fred and everyone else, not to mention little Christian.

One more thing: In an interview he gave before his marriage, Frederik openly lamented the fact that as a child, he lived in a DIFFERENT BUILDING than his own parents, who visited him every day, but boy, did he and his brother loathe this arrangement, especially compared to their peers. So that's another reason to cherish any visits from Grandpa Donaldson, beer in hand or not (jee, what's so wrong with an Adult having a beer? It's not like it's second hand smoking)

Last edited:
PreDoc said:

Maybe they left Christian with him because he's family and they trust him with Christian more than they trust their servants.

PreDoc said:
I apologize, when I wrote that I was still a bit unsettled by a photo of him in another forum where he appears to be sipping an alcoholic beverage with the future king looking up at him admiringly.

I only saw mineral water bottles around the table. What alcohol beverage?:confused:

Harmony said:
I only saw mineral water bottles around the table.
Hopefully you're right and I perhaps saw something incorrectly. I know several Scots and they are wonderful to party with, but since alcoholism is a genetic disease, I wouldn't wish that nightmare on any family.

But I digress, the thread is about this perfect little prince ... so with that said, please let's return to our normal programming :);)

Last edited:
PreDoc said:

The "individual" ist Professor Dr. John Donaldson. Prof. Donaldson has been awarded his academic titles due to intellectual contributions to the general knowledge of mankind. Even though most people including me will never be able to evaluate these contributions, other academics are and decided first to promote him from simple "Mr." to "Dr." Donaldson and then to appoint him to the position of academic teacher at an university. This granted him the title of Professor. The university of Copenhagen is a very reknown university when it comes to science and maths. A friend of my husband is a prof there and he told me that to invite prof. Donaldson as a guest professor was only due to his standing in the academic world, even though they were happy to provide the crown princely pair with this opportunity to see Mary's parents more often. But it is absolutely common for foreign scientist to spent time in Copenhagen. Our friend eg is German.

Another point: These academic titles are the only ones recognized in all countries of the world. They tell of the wish and the success of an individual to explore and explain the world, thus helping all of us. While titles you are born to only exist in some countries, eg monarchies. In Britain eg inherited title come after the earned ones. Eg Professor Doktor The Earl of Thisandthat. Or Sir Robert, The Duke of Nowandthen. Germany does not know any inherited titles anymore.

So Prof. Donaldson has titles of a very different rank from the ones held by his son-in-law and his daughter.

Plus: who are we to decide what is good for the little prince and what is not? He has after all a grandmother who is constantly smoking. Is this better than a grandfather who occassionally has a drink (if he has, I don't know, I didn't see the pictures and have no personal knowledge)? A child does not drink alcohol only because the person next to it does it. But a child inhales smoke when he is a guest in the home of a smokeress. So why not ask for a separation of prince Christian from Her Majesty?

Stupid idea, I know... :)

What on earth would be the problem if adults are drinking around a little baby?? He better grows up with the knowledge; it is normal and fun (of course not too much, but I don't think mary and fred will get all tipsy and stuff) , than it is a huge taboo, and he may tried it in a wrong way when he is older; When he is at the age of 16/17/18.

PreDoc said:

Why shouldn't Pr. Donalson be with Prince Christian? As the father of Mary, he has all the right to be with his grandchild. Moreover, little Prince is in better hand with Pr. Donaldson than with a nanny.

Last edited by a moderator:
He works in Denmark, he is a math professor in a danish university. Why Fredrick shouldn't tolerate him? what did he do to deserve such a critic appreciation?

John Donaldson is now part of Fredrick's family. In most families in-laws are loved and appreciated and cherished participants.

PreDoc said:
Hopefully you're right and I perhaps saw something incorrectly. I know several Scots and they are wonderful to party with, but since alcoholism is a genetic disease, I wouldn't wish that nightmare on any family.

But I digress, the thread is about this perfect little prince ... so with that said, please let's return to our normal programming :);)

good idea. I'm all for digressing sometimes, as it can be interesting/amusing, but seriously, you seem to really take the cake with your generalization about Scottish people and implication that somehow they genetically are prone to alcoholism. That they're great to party with, but not much else. (by the way are you talking about the same Scots who moved to north America and whose workaholic tendencies, if I may generalize, contributed to the continent being the industrious monstrosity it is today?) Anyways, How, then, would you explain Mary's accomplishments in life (even life before she met her husband), or the highly-accomplished Mr. Donaldson, a respected math professor? Who says he's an alcoholic?

Even if he's drinking a beer or two next to his grandson, why is that so bad? It's not like the kid will remember this! No one remembers anything from the first year of their lives.
And as someone else pointed out, being in the vicinities of Queen Margarethe would be much much worse for the kid than merely sitting next to a beer. The Danish queen smokes like there's no tomorrow, and we all know how that habit can take years off of the lives of the non smokers in your environment. Jeez. If you want to be <reverent>, as you stated in another post, be reverent to Mr. Donaldson. The guy has never hurt a fly in his life.

PreDoc said:

Excellent idea but since when were all Scots alcoholics. One of my grandmothers closest friends is Scottish. She likes to drink but she knows when to stop.

Jo of Palatine said:
The "individual" ist Professor Dr. John Donaldson. Prof. Donaldson has been awarded his academic titles due to intellectual contributions to the general knowledge of mankind. Even though most people including me will never be able to evaluate these contributions, other academics are and decided first to promote him from simple "Mr." to "Dr." Donaldson and then to appoint him to the position of academic teacher at an university. This granted him the title of Professor. The university of Copenhagen is a very reknown university when it comes to science and maths. A friend of my husband is a prof there and he told me that to invite prof. Donaldson as a guest professor was only due to his standing in the academic world, even though they were happy to provide the crown princely pair with this opportunity to see Mary's parents more often. But it is absolutely common for foreign scientist to spent time in Copenhagen. Our friend eg is German.

Another point: These academic titles are the only ones recognized in all countries of the world. They tell of the wish and the success of an individual to explore and explain the world, thus helping all of us. While titles you are born to only exist in some countries, eg monarchies. In Britain eg inherited title come after the earned ones. Eg Professor Doktor The Earl of Thisandthat. Or Sir Robert, The Duke of Nowandthen. Germany does not know any inherited titles anymore.

So Prof. Donaldson has titles of a very different rank from the ones held by his son-in-law and his daughter.

Plus: who are we to decide what is good for the little prince and what is not? He has after all a grandmother who is constantly smoking. Is this better than a grandfather who occassionally has a drink (if he has, I don't know, I didn't see the pictures and have no personal knowledge)? A child does not drink alcohol only because the person next to it does it. But a child inhales smoke when he is a guest in the home of a smokeress. So why not ask for a separation of prince Christian from Her Majesty?

Stupid idea, I know... :)

Actually I think it's a good idea to separate prince christian from the Queen when she is smoking.

lise said:
Actually I think it's a good idea to separate prince christian from the Queen when she is smoking.

I think its worse that his dad Crownprince Frederik still smokes.

What on earth would be the problem if adults are drinking around a little baby?
The little prince hardly knows where his bellybutton is, so I dont think he can identify beer either :)

I did not know that CP Frederick was a smoker.

i think i read fred had quick smoking before they got married. am i correct?

bbb said:
i think i read fred had quick smoking before they got married. am i correct?

I heard that as well , that he had quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom