The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

This is very much a case of apples and oranges. For me, there is no comparing Camilla Parker-Bowles and Mary Donaldson.

Mary is marrying the Crown Prince of Denmark, she will be his first wife. She was not previously married nor does she have kids.

Camilla Parker-Bowles, as much as I think she is wonderful match for Prince Charles, was previously married and has grown kids. She was the mistress of the Prince of Wales for many years and the couple now share living space.

What is it that you think there is to compare between Camilla and Mary? Style is a minute point, too, as they are of very different generations, with Camilla probably being closer in age to Mary's step-mother. I could hardly see Camilla attending Trooping the Colour in a semi-belly baring dress as Mary once wore, or vice versa, Mary wearing some of the outfits Camilla wears. (Although I do think Camilla has pretty good style and dresses quite nicely and appropriately.)

Comparing Mary with her future sister-in-law Alexandra is one thing, or even comparing Mary to the other crown princesses, like Mette-Marit, Maxima or Mathilde. But to Camilla seems far out of left field for me.

Old 10-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Majesty

Mary a few years ago

www.seoghoer.dk

Sarah FERGUSON was on Larry King this week
and this she said about Mary

Quote:

CALLER: Real quick question. I was wondering if you had any words of advice for Mary Donaldson, who is recently engaged to the crown prince of Denmark? Like you, she's lived on her own and had a career and sort of an independent woman.

Do you have any advice when she assumes her royal role?

FERGUSON: The important advice I would ever give anyone is to say remain yourself. You have to be true to what you believe. Because then when the problems come or the obstacles come, you've got a very strong foundation. Like any good house, if you can keep a strong foundation, then the winds won't blow it down.

KING: What will be the roughest thing she'll face?

FERGUSON: I don't know the kind of person she is, but I hope when the people might say some jibes or the press might turn or always when you're leading up to a wedding, it's the honeymoon period, you believe everybody loves you. Suddenly you believe everybody loves you, then it turns after a couple of months. That's when it's difficult.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2003, 01:24 PM
Commoner

I think it would be difficult for Mary to be true to herself as long as she's in Denmark. She's going through a lot changes already, for example in terms of how she should behave. When she marries Frederik, she's giving her life to the roayl institution which governs part of her life. She won't be able voice her opinion freely, but will have to be diplomatic.

However, the only time Mary can only be true to herself is when she's back in Tasmania to be with her family. I"m sure she will be back in Tasmania for a visit once in awhile to "refresh" herself from the stress level she will encounter as a CP
Old 10-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Josefine@Oct 22nd, 2003 - 3:31 pm
Mary a few years ago

www.seoghoer.dk
According to the paper version of the danish weekly Se og Hør #43 :

The birthdaygirl Johdi Knight and her friend Mary was photographed september 2000.

The photo was made only a few days before Crown Prince Frederik met Mary on saturday 16.september 2000.

MARY: PARTY-PRINSESSE - 22. oktober 2003

http://www.seoghoer.dk/default.aspx?Action...=210&GroupID=51

{I don't quite understand why several of LTR's major posters won't edit in more info in their own posts}

Over at Royal News and Views Marianne posted that Mary makes her think of Mrs. Emma Beel in the tv-series The Avengers.

I found this about Dame Diana Rigg - many links there to photos of the lady - do chech out the resemblance

http://calwestray.tripod.com/diana_rigg.htm
Old 10-25-2003, 04:55 AM
Nobility

That's because Camilla and Mary are both not very much liked.
But after I've seen Mary, I don't deteste Camilla anymore.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Poppy@Oct 25th, 2003 - 9:55 am
That's because Camilla and Mary are both not very much liked.
:o Really ?

On the all important royal message boards ?

By the danes in Denmark ?

Poppy - a nice new nick
Old 10-25-2003, 06:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't get the comparison with Camilla either.

I believe Mary is very very much liked in Denmark, only not by everybody on these boards (which is normal, you can never please everyone). But I still have to hear about the first Dane who really dislikes Mary...
Old 10-29-2003, 04:24 AM
Gentry

I'm not a Mary fan but to answer this question, Mary is a THOUSAND times better than Camilla. There really is no comparison. Mary did not break any ones marriage & she did not chase another womans man(I blame Charles too for that matter). All she did was go after a single Prince.(Her methods are questionable but that's another topic&#33
Old 10-29-2003, 03:10 PM
Commoner

Not sure why Mary is being compared to Camilla. I don't care for Camilla and the jury is still out on Mary, though I hope for all concerned she'll be a wonderful wife, then mother and final a proper consort for Fred.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:36 PM
Commoner

I have to go with Mary, I don't like her but she is far a
better choice than Camilla. At least she didnt wreck
someone elses marriage.

P.S.
May God Bless Diana's Soul
Best Openside Flanker in the World
Old 10-30-2003, 02:32 AM

I am one of the last people that supports Mary, but on this one, I have to agree with the majority. Where in the hell did you pull this idea out of, Poppy? It needs to be put in the dust-bin.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Argh ...can´t you stop your attacks on Mary...you don´t know her...yes, now you could argue, that we don´t know people like Camilla, prince Ernst August or Marie-Chantal of Greece too...but we have at least watched their lifes in public in the last...let´s say 10 years. But we don´t know more about Mary, than some facts (like her career), some interview-stuff, rumours...and that she visited once a model-course (which is really a basis to hate her, or what?&#33. Come on guys, give this girl a (at least a little) chance!
I should gamble with you for high stakes that you will cheer for her on the wedding day...but probably you would DENY it
Old 11-01-2003, 03:04 AM
Gentry

People do not care for MD as she is seen by some in court circles in hushed
tones as "the Sarah Furgeson" of Denmark, she doesn't "fit in" and she makes
waves, and she does not try to blend in, she tries to be MORE regal bearing than
HM Q M , and when the Queen smiles, it is alright to smile, why HER SERIOUS
FACE? that is actually going against the royal protocal, there is someting not
right there with this girl.

Whereas Alexandra, they had to admit, this girl dresses right, hmmm good common sense, no one has to "train or teach her," you DO NOT wear a top
showing the belly button, you dress in certain colors, black is for funerals,
come on dearie Marie, and Alex girl got with the program fast.

So of course she blended in, observed and did what was expected without
any reason to give critics any ammunition!

hence she is well received and liked.

MD doesn't get it. Period.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:52 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by George@Nov 1st, 2003 - 8:04 am
1- People do not care for MD

2- as she is seen by some in court circles in hushed tones as "the Sarah Furgeson" of Denmark,

3- she doesn&#39;t "fit in" and she makes waves, and she does not try to blend in,

4- she tries to be MORE regal bearing than HM Q M ,

5- Whereas Alexandra - no one has to "train or teach her,"

6- MD doesn&#39;t get it. Period.
:o Your sources ?????

Must be your own mind &#33;

As there are no sources for your statements &#33;

In addition to the performances on her engagement day

Mary has had 2 royal performances - the state banquet and the concert.

8 years ago and in the years which followed

Alexandra Manley was tutored into royal life

on how to behave as a danish Princess

by the same man

Lord Chamberlain Per Thornit

who now is tutoring the future Crown Princess Mary.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:05 AM
Aristocracy

:flower: Indeed no news is very good news to the danes &#33;

In several polls and surveys the danes have given strong messages back to the media :

1- We are positive about Mary becoming our Crown Princess &#33;

2- Now it is time to leave the couple alone in their private lives &#33;

Actually 92% of the danes asked have these opinions
Old 11-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Nobility

In many articules that i read there seems to be a big deal that mary is from Australia. Some of the stories were like it&#39;s mary&#39;s job to have an half austrailan heir and etc. But was it a big deal when Alex married Johem(sp) .
Old 11-01-2003, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by George@Nov 1st, 2003 - 2:04 am
Whereas Alexandra, they had to admit, this girl dresses right, hmmm good common sense, no one has to "train or teach her," you DO NOT wear a top showing the belly button, you dress in certain colors, black is for funerals, come on dearie Marie, and Alex girl got with the program fast.
I am not one known on this board to defend Mary, but I have to in this case.

She wore a dress that at times showed her belly button before she was the Crown Princess-to-be. When she wore that dress at a friend&#39;s wedding attended with Frederik, she was "merely" the Crown Prince&#39;s girlfriend, not his fiancee. Although there were rumours of an egagement, there had been those same rumours with every girl Frederik had been pictured with before Mary. As she was allegedly gunning to be a princess when she first met Frederik, she could&#39;ve picked a better dress on this occasion, but really no harm or foul since she wasn&#39;t linked to the royal house in a more official role, i.e. no royal duties.

And black is not merely for funerals in royal circles. Though it is more traditional for funerals only, many of the royal ladies whom we do seem to favour do wear black at other occassions and events. And I can&#39;t even think of a time when Mary, as the Crown Prince&#39;s girlfriend, wore all black anyway. I remember occasions when she has worn a black top or jacket or black pants, but not ever head-to-toe black as you might for a funeral. And if that is the "crime" Mary has committed, so have many other royal ladies, queens and princesses alike.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Courtier

Hi everyone&#33;

I do not normally defend Mary either. I don&#39;t quite dislike her, but it is simply that there are things about her that strike me as odd and strange at times. She simply has a way about her that I do not particularly understand. However, in this case I do have to jump on the pro-Mary bandwagon, if only for a bit.

There was a photo of Mary in which she and Fred were at a wedding and you could see her bellybutton. However, she was not wearing a dress or ensemble in which she was purposefully trying to do this. It seemed that she was wearing an ensemble that was composed of two pieces-skirt and top and the wind simply lifted her blouse a bit, so we were able to see her stomach. I do not believe that she did this knowingly. Yes, she should be more careful in choosing what she wears, but it was hardly a major faux-pas.

I don&#39;t see anything wrong with her wearing black if she likes the color. But, I can&#39;t recall her ever wearing anything that was predominantly black?

I also think that her sense of style and clothing is the least of her concerns at this point. She has much more things to concern herself with in adjusting to royal life.

As far Mary being like Camilla, no way&#33; I definitely do not see any resemblance between the two. Camilla and how she came to be in the life of Prince Charles is far worse in my opinion. Mary has her issues, but her being anything like Camilla? I definitely do not see it.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:01 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
I'm sure all of these things have been answered but why was Mary at the Olympics? I'm sure she deserved it but it was conveniant. according to the bio up there. I'm sure he was there to cheer on the Danish contigent. Also why are people complaining? Is it like Fergie too? I mean Fergie was completely unprepared and she had some gaffes and was a little too outgoing in public for the Windsors. But what hath Mary wrought? I would love to see her in some of Emma Peel's outfits. Not the ones you would expect. I like the cardigan jacket with match skirt and the adorable hats with a circle on them or some other design. Love that stuff.

"Strategy, Public Relations, Online, and Advertising. "

PR. That's right. I had heard about that. But those companies were involved with the Olympics? I would think the Prince would have some type of security to protect him from just any people from the sponsors who wanted to meet him. After all, there are tons of sponsors and he could not have met them all.

O. Nasa. Generally, there are only two reasons for international people to be in Houston. One is oil and the other is Nasa. That explains the schooling in Houston. But this "Love Branding" sounds a little phony to be a big company.

"They met at the Slip Inn Bar in Sydney following the Olympic opening ceremony on September 15, 2000"

Good grief. He's a wild one then. Well, I've seen a few photos. As usual, the woman is more attractive than the man. And she appears to be a cross between Kate Jackson and Jennifer Tilly.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Nobility

on the above photo together with her friend at her birthday, mary was slightly bigger than she is now, one clearly sees that she has lost quite a bit of weight after she met frederik.
does anyone have other pictures that show mary&#39;s weightloss?

Maria Karolina

Closed Thread