Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In general, you can't always believe what the paper say whether it's something positive or negative about Mary. Sometimes they exagerate too much.

Don't hate her. Find her very boring. And if the Danes think she is something exciting in their lives, well then it says alot about them. In Australia, if she was living off the taxpayer like she was with Freddy she'd be called a bludger. But then Australian are more careful who cheats off them.

And you must admit there was a big backflip after that interview with the Uncle!

Honestly at first I didn't like Mary all that much... for several reasons, one being here "catch a prince marathon"...but, the thing I have still a hard time dealing with is that in 90% of her photos - she seems to enjoy all the cameras and basicly is living up the life being engaged to Frederik. Sometimes I wonder if she is with him because she cares about him or for his title..... i.e. MC of Greece.... WOW they would make a great pair of friends, so much to talk about.... LOL!

Originally posted by chanel@Dec 14th, 2003 - 10:21 pm
I have still a hard time dealing with is that in 90% of her photos - she seems to enjoy all the cameras and basicly is living up the life being engaged to Frederik.
I wonder :

Have you ever heard all the nice things the photographers shout to their "targets" to get them to smile and laugh ?

It is very human to react :lol: or :D or at least :)

The photogs have chased Mary for 2 years - she has never been anything but polite to them.

Despite she has not given them any info - they love the way she handles them.

This is something Mary is praised for - also by the Mary-bashers ;)

Originally posted by CD.@Dec 12th, 2003 - 4:39 pm
Don't hate her. Find her very boring. And if the Danes think she is something exciting in their lives, well then it says alot about them.
O HO!! Because Danes are unwilling to slag off Mary (and because we all kow it's really the Danes' opinions that matter in all of this), then it's open season on Danes and Denmark????

Sad, very sad.

:eek:rder: :eek:rder: :eek:rder:

Let's refrain from attacking other nations and their people, as well as Mary.

If there is a reason one does not like Mary, let's be constructive in our comments regarding her, and in my books calling her a cheat is not constructive.

Originally posted by CD.@Dec 12th, 2003 - 1:39 pm
Don't hate her. Find her very boring.
What I find remarkable about Mary is that for better or worse, she is the opposite of boring. Other than that I haven't formed an opinion since I don't know enough except to say that there is something about her that is more interesting than all of the other crown princesses or crown princesses to be. Maybe that's good, or maybe it could be bad, but Mary shows hidden depths and complexity.

And I don't think there is a lot of disagreement because look at the sustained bandwidth in forum typing she inspires compared to the others. B)

I really think she should smile more. She can be actually quite lovely when she smiles. Otherwise, she can LOOK snobbish. Smiling may make her more endearing...

Originally posted by lynn@Dec 14th, 2003 - 9:48 pm
I really think she should smile more. She can be actually quite lovely when she smiles. Otherwise, she can LOOK snobbish. Smiling may make her more endearing...
But so many different opinions... "she likes the camera so much and loves attention" or "she doesn't feel comfortable in front of the camera, she can't handle pressure" etc...... arrrghhh!!!

Just to add to the confusion :p , I think she looks lovely when she smiles. Sometimes she does have a strained look on her face. Like some of the Swedish embassy pics (I think it was that one). But the hunting party ones were pretty casuaL and she looked quite pretty.

She's not model pretty. She looks sweet-pretty. Like that previous photo where she looked exactly the way she did in her primary school photo (i'm hopeless at pasting pics, so hopefully you know the one I mean). :blush:

IMO, Mary looks so much better in side view than in front view. (don't know- maybe its because of her nose that's so nicely pointed upwards) ;)

Princesses like Maxima and Mette I find interesting and colourful. I am allowed an opinion.

mmm...i'm not used to seeing alexandra walking behind mary but i guess i need to be used to that from now onwards. :(

From ibl.se

2#

Attachments

• fredmar.jpeg
    fredmar.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 7,138
  • fredmar2.jpeg
    fredmar2.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 5,389
Last edited by a moderator:
Mary's hairstyle looks almost like QM!. Yes ALexandra's hair looks really nice, but I wish i could see more pic of her :(

Mary should have opted for a younger style, hair down like she appeared at the Christening recently. She looks old with her hair up.

i disagree. i think this is much more flattering for her face that the flat forhead with long hair. i think this hairstyle frame her face much better and is still young. her face is too much accentuated on ts lower half when she wears open hair is pulled back on the top. its different when she actually leaves it completely lose like when she is in private.

Mary looks great at this event! Everything about her is radiating on this day. There are a couple of pictures in which her smile seems to be frozen on, but in the others she looks really great and truly happy.

And the dark colour with her dark hair and fair complexion looks really nice. The jacket seems not suitable with the jacket (too casual), but the skirt is a beautiful colour.

Mary look great but the same can't be said for her choice of outfit. I think the jacket and skirt are a poor choice for the occassion considering what the other royals are wearing...just look at Alexandra and Queen M. Also the men are in tux!

Just a thought..now that Mary is almost in the family fold, does she get a allowance for clothes? If she does, i'm sure she can do better than her choices so far, although this may also be her preference or taste in fashion.

The more I see Mary it's obvious that we can't compare her with Alexandra. They are two different type of people with very different tastes in fashion and mannerism.

she looks great, i love the jacket!! but obviously a bit inappropriate for a royal premiere.
but for a night out or parties i like her choice of clothes. IMHO she seems to prefer alot of laid back, casual, semi formal gowns or clothes, which would definetely look good on normal occasions but not on royal events.

I really really like the red skirt!! Can I add some more "really like her skirt"?

I think Mary opted for understated, which is cool considering she's not really family yet - she can't overshadow the others. I really like her outfit here. I didn't like the christening outfit as much for some reason. But I like Mary in red. She looks kinda cosy at the premier.

I don't know how Mary and Alex will gel. Alex is very good so I don't think they'll have problems in the long run. But I think there will be a transition period - Alex would be used to being the centre/ near-centre female royal after the queen (ok there's Benedikte, but you know what I mean). But I think she also knows that Fred would eventually marry. Anyway, yeah icky transition period. They'll get over it.

In one of the bottom pics Mary is tilting her head in the same exact way
as HM Queen Margarethe II of Denmark does! she is not being natural,
she is still trying too too hard...it shows. and she doesn't speak Danish fluently
oh ah huh.

I do not care if the hair is up or not, but to imitate the Queen's head and facial
gesture-well, that is not right, and black to a premier? she could of opted for a
softer lighter and more appropriate one, but ah well...Mary is Mary, and she
IS wearing the same diamond baquette square shaped earrings she had
from before...ah...hmmmm.....

she was wearing a black jacket and a lila skirt...i admit, its not a very bright apearance...

dont you all agree: she seems to have been exceptionally smily at the last event!! inspiration from whome?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO all are overdressed EXCEPT Mary...that´s the premiere of a fantasy-movie, and not of an opera. If you have watched the premieres of "return of the king" in other countries, you could have watched that the people there were far more dressed down. And it´s not the way, that this movie has any reference to Danmark...so the Queen and her family are just interested guests/movie watchers. And I disbelieve, that there´s a dress code for such events.
I think we already had this, mary can do never right, right :p ?

oh my lord...... :eek:
you're analyzing the way she smiles now? what? analyzing the way she moves and talk isn't enough ? :p

Hey, I didn't think that tilting the head is solely for the Queen... that seems just really petty now.

And if you look at the "tilting-head" picture, you can see that Mary is greeting .... Peter Jackson!!! I think the tilting-head is more like a "Mr Jackson, a New Zealander! I'm very happy to meet you" reaction.

O yeah people, you know how NZ is close to Australia? yes well, when it comes to LOTR, Aust will readily recognise its close proximity to NZ and their sheep... JKS!!! p.s. love the warriors. But really, Australia doesn't have a lot of neighbours, and I think Australia shares links with NZ more than any other country. If I was in a foreign country and there was a New Zealander, I would greet that Kiwi as I would my countrymen.

Originally posted by karolinabraganza@Dec 16th, 2003 - 7:28 am
is princess alexandra curtseing to the queen?????????????????????? why didnt mar do that???????????????????????

Mary did curtseing the queen.
And she are not called mar BUT Mary.
I am getting a littel bit tired off all youre bad meanings about her.
why will all juge her ???
You don´t know her and i gues that you will never met her in life.
She´s doing all the best that she can....maby she has being living her in Denmark for about 2-3 years and maby she aren´t wery greath speaking danish but take a look at her farther-inlaw then and Princess Alexandra when she came to denmark.
Mary and Alexandras farther-inlaw has being living her in denmark for over 30 years has he improved you bye speaking danish fluently ???
No No is say No.
They speak 2 ore 3 kinde of languich in the royal familiy : french,English and som danish.
I know that the queen and the princ are speaking french to each other, princ Joachim and Princess Alexandra are speaking English and Danish to each other and ther children, and acording to the leader of CP. Frederiks court they are speaking danish to each other and the court has been told to speak Danish to and with Mary.
She will learn to speak Danish but it will take som time beacus the languich are wery difficult to learn to speak also for us who are living her in Denmark, SO but giv Mary som time so she can learn it...You all know that Rome was´ent builed on one day.

Originally posted by Lena@Dec 16th, 2003 - 3:24 am
If you have watched the premieres of "return of the king" in other countries, you could have watched that the people there were far more dressed down. And it´s not the way, that this movie has any reference to Danmark...so the Queen and her family are just interested guests/movie watchers.
Viggo Mortensen is Danish. So, Maybe the reason they dressed-up is to show suport for him. Then again I have not seen any other premiers with royals there. Besides, it is a nice change to see people dressed-up. Besides it's not like there is a certian dress for premiers, each one has its own style and flar. I though everyone looked nice. Mary looks like she is getting more confortable in public. I knew she just needed time to adjust and get use to it all.

I totally agree with you lucy2 about there not being a particular dress code for premieres. Hollywood actors tend to dress much more casually while I find British actors dress up a bit more, and of course the royals, when they do attend premieres, dress up much more. Prince Charles recently attended the Cold Mountain premiere and he wore a tuxedo, but so did Jude Law and director Anthony Minghella.

For this premiere, while it seems that Mary was dressed down more than the other members of the royal family, like Alexandra who donned a fur wrap for the event, I think she was dressed perfectly appropriately for a 3 hour-long movie! And as someone previously mentioned, it is "just" a movie, not an opera or a classical theatre performance. That being said, however, if the other royals were going to dress up so much more, I think Mary should've followed suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom