The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Commoner

Can I be incredibly cynical here and remind you that Mary's most important job is to produce an heir and a spare. I sometimes read long criticisms of Crown Princesses and its hello, they are not being asked to engage in brain surgery. The jobs sacrificial, remember protocol, keep your mouth firmly shut and don't embarass the family and remember what you've married into. You don't need to be intelligent for that. Basic common sense will suffice.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:41 AM
Nobility

1) Articulate means well-spoken. I think that is an important and valuable quality for her to have.

2) I'd like to think the teachers were honest. They're not going to say in an interview "the girl is an idiot" even if it was true (which I don't believe). I think they tried to point out positive things (I haven't seen any articles about this, I 'm just basing this on what Tigerlilly said). If I ever became famous I sure would want my teachers to stress what I was good at.

If Mary has major shortcomings in some area, then I doubt the palace will put her in a situation which would draw attention to them.

3) About her knowledge of world events: It is probably average, like the rest of us.

I think Mary will do very well.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Courtier

I believe that Mary is intelligent. I don't find her to be pretending at all. I think that teachers are just like everyone else. Although she may not have been their favorite student, she is a girl from their country who will be the next CP and Queen of Denmark, so of course they would try to say good things about her out of pride. However, I don't think that it means that they are trying to build her up, necessarily. Mary may not be brilliant, but I would tend to believe that she probably possesses above average intelligence. Many people have said that she is very articulate, which I doubt is a famous catch-phrase in Australia or Tasmania. I don't think that they all got together and decided to call her articulate, so it may be what they have all noticed about her as one of the best traits of her personality. Keeping that in mind, Mary may be very articulate and able to have good conversation, which is an extremely good thing.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Aristocracy

I'm with Sheeba, the most important job for Mary and the other Crown Princess is to produce an Heir and a Spare (Mathilde, Maxima and MM have fulfilled that part)--(we wait for Mary and Letizia).

I believe Mary is very intelligent and would be an excellent Crown Princess.

BTW--I don't understand the Title of this Thread "Mary The Know It All", did someone say she knew it all?
Old 02-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
I don't like that description of a crown princess. Not all Crown Princesses are there to produce an heir and a spare.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Courtier

I can agree that when considering monarchies regardless of one's position within the family it is very important to produce heirs especially in the cases of Crown Princes and Princesses, however, I don't particulary care for the idea of Mary simply being there to be a baby machine. She and Fred will definitely be expected to have a family, however, it will not be her only reason for existing.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Gentry

Quote:
when mary made here first press confrence last year on her engagament day the pres asked her a very easy question about what does she know about denmark? And she answered aans christen anderson. She has been living in denmark for more than a year and she had all the time in the world to explore the great country denmark is and that the best she could do. Does this acually prove anything about mary's great knowledge and world events with an answer like the one she gave?
The question that was asked was what did she know of Denmark before coming to live there. There is a big difference between what she knew previously and what she knows now.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by kate14@Feb 12th, 2004 - 10:30 am
I'm with Sheeba, the most important job for Mary and the other Crown Princess is to produce an Heir and a Spare (Mathilde, Maxima and MM have fulfilled that part)--(we wait for Mary and Letizia).

I believe Mary is very intelligent and would be an excellent Crown Princess.

BTW--I don't understand the Title of this Thread "Mary The Know It All", did someone say she knew it all?
According to Sheeba, MM's and Maxima's jobs are done, now what? Live happily ever after? It does require intelligence to survive that world.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by AnaM@Feb 12th, 2004 - 3:40 pm

The question that was asked was what did she know of Denmark before coming to live there. There is a big difference between what she knew previously and what she knows now.
then, she either stumbled on that "articulate" department or "world knowledge"event. Either way it is a challenge to her teachers comments if the comments were indeed expressed.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:18 AM
Commoner

How can you say that all a crown princess is for is to have children? That is horrible! People used to think that having children is all that women are for. Our society has drastically changed and Mary should participate in politics just as much as CPF.
Elle
Old 02-13-2004, 02:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerlilly23@Feb 12th, 2004 - 2:28 am

3 and when mary made here first press confrence last year on her engagament day the pres asked her a very easy question about what does she know about denmark? And she answered aans christen anderson......

I'm not crticizing her i just want you guys to think a little bite more deeply about the things you read about her and to question weather it true or not with what you think and belive about this girl.
I think everyone has written good comments regardin the questions. And I believe someone has already said in this thread what I'm going to say....

..... but I just wanted to highlight that the question Mary was asked in the press conference was what did she know about Denmark, that is BEFORE the engagement, so Mary said the designer of the Opera House and Hans Christian Andersen. She was not asked what she had learnt about Denmark since she's been living there.

I agree that we have to think carefully about the things we read, but at the same time, I believe the questioner also asked us to comment on something which didn't really happen (i.e. that Mary was asked what she knew about Denmark after living there. This is incorrect as Mary was asked what "what did you know" not "what do you know"). So perhaps the questioner ought be more careful as well on the things we are being asked to comment on? This is not meant as an attack, but I have read some threads claiming that perhaps QM found out that mary's a spender, hence the 10% limit, but this is untrue since all the consorts get 10% only, not just Mary. And that Fred might have moved houses because Mary was distracting him or perhaps had a fight, when others have already said that Fred and mary lived in different addresses to start with.

Just a thouht that's all. It would probably save all much ado about things that didn't really happen.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:13 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by *Elle*@Feb 13th, 2004 - 1:18 am
How can you say that all a crown princess is for is to have children? That is horrible! People used to think that having children is all that women are for. Our society has drastically changed and Mary should participate in politics just as much as CPF.
                                                      Elle
Sorry to burst your bubble but I have to agree with Sheeba on this. Why do you think they made Mary take all those fertility test? Do you think if she was infertile a marriage would proceed?

I agree it's sad in this day and age people think like this(I don't agree either) but the main purpose is for Mary to produce an heir......
Old 02-13-2004, 08:34 AM
Commoner

Elle, ever since Divine Right ended and Monarchs were made to be constituional they are not to get involved politically unless they want their heads chopped of (figuratively speaking ofcourse), obviously various monarchs across Europe have varying degrees of power, but look at it this way look at what happened in Greece and if Mary had any common sense she would stay well clear of Politics the role of the monarchy as an institution today is that of continuity (hence the emphasis on birth) ceremony, unity and stability. They do charity work as part of noblesse oblige. You're not allowed to work or have any opinions as this might risk some sort of political backlash if not a national backlash. Its a boring job you smile, you meet dignitaries, you smile some more and make boring speeches. And once in awhile your government forces you to go out and meet dictators as part of their foreign policy and you are obliged to attend whether you like it or not. And you live in a big house with loads of spare time. It might sound ghastly but hey these girls opted to marry into it. if they wanted a job the ability to express their opinions they should have stuck with trying to net a CEO or investment banker etc you get the lifestyle with the freedom.And if you get divorced you ask for half. The only drawback you can't demand your staff call you a princess. Although you can force your friends to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Aristocracy

lori Posted on Feb 13th, 2004 - 1:03 am
According to Sheeba, MM's and Maxima's jobs are done, now what? Live happily ever after? It does require intelligence to survive that world.

=========

Actually Lori, I went into more detail about the other Crown Princess. As I stated im my post That PART (having children--the major part) Has Been Fulfilled--Mathilde, Maxima and MM.

The world knows that Mary underwent a Fertility Test, as CD stated Do you think if she was infertile a marriage would proceed?

From what I have seen the other PART/JOB of a CP is to do Charity Work, Baptize Ships, Hosptial Wings ect.. and attend Official Functions (to be Seen not Heard)

It sounds/looks HARSH but it is TRUE

I would love to see ALL the Crown Princess and future CP take on a more "High-Level" Role
Old 02-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Commoner

CD you did not bust my bubble. I was just shocked. Luckily my bubble is still intact. I had not the slightest idea that they made her take a fertility test. I guess all they want is an heir. How sad for Mary. Do they make all CP take fertility tests? I would never agree to such a thing. I know that monarchies do very little in the political world. Really when it comes down to it monarchies are just a social status symbol.
Elle
(I guess that I was wrong.)
Old 02-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Courtier

My goodness! Her teachers say a couple of nice things about her and then everyone is like, "Oh, well that means she's a know-it-all and she is this and that..." Please people- her teachers said something kind about a student that any teacher would say about any good student. Their comments neither say nor imply that there were any hidden meanings or that Mary is a know-it-all or dumb as a post. You may not like her, but that doesn't mean you have to contort everything she or anyone says about her to fit your negative image of her. I vote we're all a bit more charitable in our judgments of Mary -- Just thought we could give it a shot! :P
Old 02-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Commoner

people relax i'm not here trying to crtize mary in anyway but what do you think the main job of a jornalist or a newpaper reporter is ? Is it to sell papers or is it to make freinds with people? The way danish media at the momment is writing things on mary is put her in a good context saying things like she is intelligent etc. The
media at the momment sounds like it can't do damage to her popularity and profile at the momment and it hasn't. But when she turns into a princess and strats doing her job for the royal family will the media be so forgiving if she makes a minor mistake. The media and gossip mags are there for a reason they don't always want you to hear all the lovey dovey stuff becouse poeple would stop buying papers and mag's so they need to put in same controversal atricles to make poeple react. That what i have seen so far the papers are putting out the lovey dovey stuff on mary at this time but in six months will the paper want to keep writing about lovey dovey mary and fred or will they take a minor incedent and twist the truth to there benifit to sell a story to the poeple. It happen it diania princess of wales so how do we know it can't happen to any other princess there not in control of the media and what the media writes about them. I hear about how diana and charles were fighting well into there new marrige and the pulic didn't evan know about the arugemts that they had becouse why it would make the place look bad so they covered it up. When they divorced and dian found a new guy there were atricles being written about how diana was going to get married to a new man becouse they saw a ring on her finger and becouse she had a fat belly the media wrote about her being pregant with another man's baby and these were all lies so can you trust the media mags with everthing they write about celibraites and royal families i don't think you can and that why we need to strat questioning these articles about mary and fred becouse they sound suger coated at the momment but what happens when they suger coating starts to dissolve and we see the real deal between these two poeple. Don't always belive everything you read.

And what about the brittney and mandonna kissing thing do you think that was an acident or was it planned and janet jackson and justin timberlake ripping her top and exposing her boob do you think that was a accident or was it staged? Maybe we need to strat asking ourselves the same question with royal families was it an accident or was it planned?

enjoy your day people
Old 02-15-2004, 04:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Dennism  Posted: Feb 12th, 2004 - 1:28 pm

I don't like that description of a crown princess. Not all Crown Princesses are there to produce an heir and a spare.
I think Fred would have had to abdicate if Mary wasn't fertile.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Abdicate? Strong word...

Besides if those tests had proven that she hadn't been fertile, the odds of us knowing about it would be nil.

As long as Joachim & Alexandra has two healthy children that are in line for the throne it doesn't matter if Mary and Frederik doesn't produce any. It would be sad for them, of course, but it wouldn't be a constitutional crisis. Just look at Belgium with King Baudoin and Queen Fabiola. They didn't have any children, and Belgium is still a monarchy, no?
Old 02-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
norwegianne  Posted: Feb 15th, 2004 - 5:50 am

Abdicate? Strong word...

Besides if those tests had proven that she hadn't been fertile, the odds of us knowing about it would be nil.

As long as Joachim & Alexandra has two healthy children that are in line for the throne it doesn't matter if Mary and Frederik doesn't produce any. It would be sad for them, of course, but it wouldn't be a constitutional crisis. Just look at Belgium with King Baudoin and Queen Fabiola. They didn't have any children, and Belgium is still a monarchy, no?
Good points.

I wonder if attitudes have changed to take advantage of modern science?

Or, is it a case of commoners getting checked out, whereas ladies of royal lines are exempted?