Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! :)

Thank you Chris for offering to translate for members. We really appreciate it and we'll be sure to take you up on the offer! :) ;)

Hi Kathy, I love your avatar. :) I don't think that Mary is that close to her family, and honestly, it doesn't appear that they are that close to one another in general. Of course, I could be wrong about that, so we may have to wait and see if anything surfaces about their relationships with one another. However, Mary really doesn't seem to be that interested in her family. I remember that she didn't attend the funeral of her grandmother (her father's mother). I could understand her not being that close to her grandmother, but not even attending her funeral is a bit much, IMO. I believe that Mary was actually named after her grandmother. It's just awful that she didn't attend the funeral. Someone wrote that a letter from Mary was read at the funeral, but I think that she should have attended. Even if you don't get along with all members of your immediate family, you should at least attend their funerals. It's just a sensible and humane thing to do. I don't know what her excuse was other than she was too hard up or afraid to let go of Fred for two or three days to go to her her grandmother's funeral. :shock: She wasn't working at that time or doing anything of substance, so what was her excuse?

<Deleted gossip from another forum/Mandy>

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometime this week - or next, can't find it on their webpage - TvDanmark will show a programme about Mary. They've obviously been to Australia because the people in the show are from Marys school ect. I think the infamous Beatrice is in the programme as well. So I quess Marys request of silence wasn't heard.

One of the young men actaully says that 'You've have to be gay not to enjoy her'. I think that is making her quite a bit more wonderful than she really is. Sure, she's pretty, tall and so on, but come on! At least my husband doesn't agree :rolleyes: It also makes her sound kind of trashy IMO. A pitty for her to have so a programme on air.

Maria

Hello MariaF,

How are you? Thank you so much for the information and when the programme does air, please will you give us all a summary of what was discussed. I agree with you that it does sound like she has really been around. I think that its a shame that all this has to come out in the open and make her look bad now. The people have kept quite for so long know so why suddenly spoil things for her? It would be also awful if the guys gave sordid details the way they did in Australia about The countess of Wessex and her lovelife while down under. :) I found it strange that Mary had to call up everyone and tell them to not talk to the press when she started going out with Fred. For me personally if I was dating a Prince I would not mind one bit if my teachers, professors,friends and family spoke about me to the press as I have nothing to hide. But why the big secret for Mary to keep her past so tightly sealed? I am sure that many Danes are entitled to know about her lifestyle or the type of life she lived if she wants to become their future Queen, but still I think its unethical when close friends talk or disclose info to the public about their friends activities. If Fred really loves her than he wouldn't care as did Prince Edward and as the late Princess margaret's son, when he chose to marry lady Serena, whose ex-lovers told a XXX rated story to magazines of their bedroom activities.

MariaF, do you think it will effect Mary's chances of becoming Fred's bride? or HM 's opion of Mary? If more lover's were to come out and do something similiar to Lady Serena's lovelife?

Thanks for the info. I hope you have a nice day in Denmark. Have fun and take care. :rolleyes: :unsure: :x

Hugs,

:heart: Lorissa

I remember her too..she obviously had a differing opinion--which is fine--but then she got personal....it was fun though. (he --he-he--sometimes irrational people just brings out the devil in me)

I think its natural to be curious to see what people think of you. I am positive at some point she has checked it out. Does she anymore? Who knows? Now that she has a "job" and is traveling all over the place...where would she find the time?

There was a conversation on the other Fred board about how close Mary is to her family. Several people mentioned that she appeared to be going on so many trips with Frederick but never back home (until recently for the friend's wedding) to see her family . And she didn't return to Australia for her grandmother's funeral (the grandmother she was named after). I just figured she wasn't that close to her family..not every family is that tight.

I don't think Mary is "all that and a bag of chips", as they say. She is attractive but not striking, imo.
I think the Danish media seems to pump her up quite a bit. I mean they can't write that their Crown Prince is dating a "Plain Jane". That wouldn't sell any papers, would it?

I think she has potential. She should definitely ease up and not try so hard. What she may not realize that as flattering as she finds the press right now, it is a setup for down the road.
No one stays on a pedastal for long. Not even Diana was able to live up to the god-like expectations sometimes placed on her by the press and public. WHen you are way up high--there is usually only one place to go. I mean, Sarah Ferguson was praised and loved by the press and public for being "a breathe of fresh air" and "a lovely natural red head". And when she gained weight and then didn't act as royal after the wedding..she was criticized.

Originally posted by Kelly B@Nov 27 2002, 03:36 AM
WHen you are way up high--there is usually only one place to go.  I mean, Sarah Ferguson was praised and loved by the press and public for being "a breathe of fresh air" and "a lovely natural red head".  And when she gained weight and then didn't act as royal after the wedding..she was criticized.

I couldn't agree more. There really is nothing great about all of these magnificent super powers that the Danish press has been giving her for this long period of time. It's definitely hard to live up to that, and eventually if she becomes CP, she will have to and that is where the real battle will begin. I think that the hype is just based on the fact that many people want to see Fred married and they want a wedding. Once the wedding is over, the other kinds of scrutiny will begin-the over-critical, hypocritical, not so flattering type. :blink:

I definitely think that Mary's physical appearance could use some improving. Right now she's Ms. Good Enough-Best Chance For A Future CP Of Denmark, so she could wear a potato sack and it would be called "daringly fashionable" or "chic" If she went a few days without combing her hair or bathing, she would be considered "low-maintenance" and "natural." :neutral:

IMO, she looked a little better when she had a little bit more meat on her bones. An extra five pounds would definitely keep that skin looking smoother, and she wouldn't look as though she were withering away like some old tree with root disease. She could also use a haircut at about this time, since she has lost so much weight her face is really thin and her eyes have that kind of hollow and glassy look in some photographs. A new haircut or a trim could help to frame her face. Yes, there is definitely room for improvement.

Thanks so much to Sylvia and Tisha who searched far and wide and found the pictures of Mary taken before she left for Denmark. I really love her hairstyle when she is talking on the phone at Sydney airport. Now I don't have to look like cousin "IT" from the Addams family anymore and have a decent style. Love you Syliva and Tisha. :) :heart:

These pictures are from Newspix link :

http://www.newspix.com.au/v2/

Mary is at the Sydney airport prior to leaving for Denmark to be with Frederik. she makes a few last minute calls to ex-boyfriends, teachers, parents and friends. "Hey, This is Mary Donaldson, I forgot to tell you Guys, but I am dating Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and I am at the airport now and about to board a plane to Denmark. Can you do me one big favor and keep quiet about my private life. I promise that all of you are invited to the wedding soon. I just got to catch up to him thats all"

Photo by Greg Greenhill

Attachments

• 10840769.jpeg
    10840769.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,730
Thanks so much Maria for the report!

Self Tanner of the Year? Hahahahahahha. At times, she does look like she can be dark, and then the next week, look not so dark.

A job doing voice-overs? Now, I really, really have to hear what she sounds like.

Too bad it sounds like the exact same program described by Netty that aired in the Netherlands.

Those boys REALLY need to get out more often. She isn't any great shakes in the looks dept.

I think its funny that they say she wasn't athletic. When all the tabs keep saying that like Fred she is so sporty??!??
:huh:

Too bad it is the same old schlock being dredged out.

Oh, I think my english must have been wrong, sorry! She's a very athletic person, but not good at athletics - she was apparently good at everything else :rolleyes:

Maria

Thanks MariaF for reporting on what was shown on the Danish TV Programme about Mary. Its so disappointing to not have any new stuff and just a rehash of all info that is known. :D :heart: :)

Have a nice day. :)

Hugs,

I really don't get the look. I'm sorry but I find it awful. She usually dresse a lot better IMO.

And why does he never hold her hand? It would surely have bother me if my boyfriend trough two years wouldn't hold my hand in public..

Maria

Hey Everyone,

How are you all? I am so sure that a lot of you here have fabulous fashion style and could give some tips on how or what you think would look nice on Mary - evening wear, formal suits for weddings and more baptisms, day wear and casual.etc.. If anyone has any links or pics, please post. :) ;) B)

Hugs,

I don't know about what she should wear to work. It depends on how formal the office is. A simple pantsuit would work in some offices, whereas in others, women aren't supposed to wear pants. I don't think Denmark is that formal, so the pantsuit might work fine.

As far as baptisms and the like, what she wore was okay, except for the jacket closures.

At weddings, she completely misses the mark. I think she needs to put weights in the hems so that nothing blows up. And she needs new shoes, something in a neutral tone. And, since she doesn't have all that much money to spend on the gowns, something in a matte fabric might minimise the poor craftsmanship.

I think MM of Norway has great style, though I don't think M should copy completely. And Mathilde and Maxima always look right. Though M can't afford Natan, she could find something that looks like it.

I think that Mary looks best when she sticks to the basics and she doesn't go overboard with the accessories.

One of her better outfits is the one she was wearing (white blouse, gray slacks, dark heels) when she was photographed for one of the first times near Navision after becoming employed there.

The photograph of her after she was interviewing for her apartment also showed her wearing a flattering outfit (the grey-somewhat silver jacket and white slacks).

Mary simply has to stick to the basics and learn when enough is enough. Perhaps she could wear more accessories at times, but she needs to learn what goes together and what type of outfit doesn't need very many accessories or any at all.

She would also look better if she wore less makeup (especially bronzer/blush) and got a decent haircut. Her face is becoming far too slender for such long and straight hair. As Lorissa has mentioned, Mary no longer looks very healthy and seems to be fading away, so if she is going to insist on going with that look, she could at least add a little volume to her hair and face by layering it.

I agree--she is best when she sticks to the basics...she tends to like to get fussy with her look and it just gets out of hand.

She could learn alot by looking at the minimalistic styles of Calvin Klein, Michael Kors or Prada and work on perfecting that look before trying to get too trendy.

Hey Kelly9480, Jacqueline and Kelly B. :)

How are you all doing? Do you think if Mary had her hair layered would it help to bring a instant glow and shape her face and bring back the look she had prior to moving to Denmark. In the beginning it was like she was so healthy and shiny, full of hope that her life would change, after one year its like she is doomed and so miserable. I feel sorry for her at times. :cry: I just hope that htye both come to some decision soon and if yes, then get engaged, and if no, then each follow their own separate ways. :unsure:

The outfit that I loved on Mary the most was the green/gold outfit she wore to the secong wedding, where she seemed to glow as well as the champagne dress she wore in Sydney, where she looked really nice, then the Melbourne cup pics looked really stressed out.

Jacqueline, I agreed with you and I loved the silver coat and white pants she wore for her "job" at Naravision. :)

Hugs,

I don't think that layering her hair will actually make her look healthier and give her skin a glow. However, she is starting to look much older than she is now, and I think that layering her hair and trimming it a bit would help that. Also, the very long and straight hair just doesn't work for her at the moment.

I think that her skin would look better if she used a good moisturizer (especially when outdoors) and skin-care products along with lots of water of course. She could try our favorites-green tea and soy! :lol: ;) But, I have to say that Mary really doesn't have bad skin. She has a bit of crow's feet, but that could simply be do to a large amount of sun exposure and not moisturizing enough. I have honestly seen instance in which her outfit was completely wrong, but her skin looked great.

I think that she looked healthier in Australia and her skin had more of a glow because she was healthier in the sense that she weighed more and had more body fat. She looked more natural then because it appeared to me that she was perhaps at her ideal weight but has since gone past it and loss a significantly large amount of weight. I have two cousins that are dermatologists and I know a few others and one thing that they all agree on is that an added/extra five pounds or more is known to keep your skin smooth and lessen the appearance of wrinkles-if they say so. :neutral: Of course, they all agree that too much extra weight will make you look much older. Sometimes, you just can't win.

Jacquline, I totally agree with you about Mary loosing to much weight and looking older and gaunt in recent pictures.

Loosing so much weight and wearing those padded or push up bras give her the appearance of being a bit top heavy in some pictures with the white tank. Perhaps she should do without the padding, get a good support bra and gain a pound or two.

She would do well to lay off the sun and revert to her former title of 'Ms Self Tanner', if she wants to keep her skin looking young and supple. Drink more water and find a good moistureizer, as you suggest.

Lorissa, I too believe the best she has looked at a wedding was the champagne bridesmaid dress she wore in Sydney. The color was good on her and the fitted bodice and skirt, which hit her just right on the waist and hips, made her look really beautiful and more like a lady/future CP than anything I've seen. Sadly, this is the one wedding outfit you know she didn't pic for herself, the bride chose it.

If I were advising her, I'd suggest she start from scratch with her skin and makeup, which can make even the best dressed look sickly or tarty. She should buy Kevin Aucoins The Art of Makeup and follow to the letter his suggestions on basic skin care, the best eyebrow shape for her face and make up principles. It's a really awesome book and written by a man who knows what he was talking about. :D

Next I would suggest she go to her local fabric store and buy those felt squares [they have them in the craft section here] in every color imaginable, take off all her makeup, sit in front of a well lit mirror and hold each swatch up to her face, save the ones that make her look good and discard the ones that detract from her features. This way she would always know what colors look good on her and she should never go shopping without her color swatches or buy clothes that don't match one of them!!

I, personally, think she looks best in fitted clothing, especially jackets that don't come down to far on her hips, and skirts or pants that are more tailored. Clothing that is flared, flownsy or trendy make her look less pulled together and are not a good investment for someone on a budget, who needs to get a lot of wear from her clothes and will be endlessly photographed in them. [The pink or fuschia number she wore to one of the weddings is a prime example of a bad color for her which was poorly made and made her look really bad.]

There are some excellent books on the subject of dressing smart which I would suggest she read and take to heart:

What Should I Wear? Dressing for all Occassions(Chic and Simple) by
Kim Johnson Gross, Linda Griffin, Jeff Stone

Chic and Simple, Wardrobes that Win in the Work Place by Kim Johnson Gross, Linda Griffin, Jeff Stone, et al

The Art and Power of Being a Ladyby Noelle Cleary and Dini Von Mueffling

To bad she will never see any of these post and therby benefit from everyones advice. :D

Kathy

Just an after thought:

Here in the US famous and high profile people get a large portion of their clothing free or at greatly reduced cost, does anyone know if designers or shops in Denamrk do this as well or if they would/have done it for Mary?

I know that it would be inappropriate being that she isn't royal yet to give her clothes, but maybe a little discount here and there. :rolleyes: :D :p

Hope everyone has a good week.

Kathy

Maryneeds a good solid stylist if she is to REALLY go for the JOB.

Her hair needs updating and it is getting to long and making her face longer as a result. She is 30 now and when you get older and lose weight--you don't have the elasticity you did when were younger (I unforutnately know about these sad things first hand :( )

I think she did look healthier and happier when she was in Australia. Perhaps she misses the sun...since she was self-tanner girl--she must really be missing it now as well.

I am sure she could swing her way to free clothes, but I think it would be pushing her luck right now and would appear cheesy. But designers everywhere, in every country like someone who is photographed a good deal to wear their clothes. It's cheap press for them.

but royals don't wear black except for mourning, so it'd have to be in another colour

That is too bad--since I think it would suit her very well.
I have seen Queen Rania wear black when she wasn't in mourning...but she sets a a high standard, imo.

I've seen royalty wearing black evening gowns before and they weren't in morning. Princess Victoria wore one to that gala last week...it had a silver glitter swoosh. Diana always looked great in her black gowns. Not to mention they usually wear black when meeting the pope.

Royals are now wearing black for ocassions other than funerals. It hasn't become and epidemic but here and there you do see the ocassional black gown. I think that for those who are perhaps age 50 or over wearing black gowns may seem a bit taboo for something other than a period of mourning, but it is done now. I was once told that Queen Elizabeth II didn't approve of her sons being seen with women in black evening dresses in public or something of that manner. But, she is obviously from a different time of different standards. I believe that it is fine now and the younger royals are setting their own standards. :)

I think your choice of gown is lovely Kelly B. This is definitely the type of style that Mary should be wearing. Simple and classic, yet very sophisticated, tasteful and elegant.

John Donaldson's visit to denmark will, of course, start fanning the flames again. His visit along with the tabs going with the May 2003 date of course will continue the gossip.

My policy is from here on out, I will believe it when I see it. Too many times the tabs start the fuss, only for nothing to result.

Anna over on the SMRB kindly posted this info which many of the tabs are going off of for their May 2003 wedding stories. :)

NOTE: I am just posting this portion of the thread (I don't vouch for the veracity of the publication or their sources, which are not noted)

The norwegian weekly Se og Hør brings a story built upon the danish mag's story :

- The church Margrethe got married in; Holmen kirke is booked by the royal court saturday 24.may 2003
- 300 new goldenish chairs have been ordered for the dinning room at Fredensborg castle - where the royal family usually celebrates their weddings.
- 400 pieces of a dinner set with Crown Prince Frederik's monogram have been ordered - to be delivered in may.
- Craftsmen have been working on renovating Kancellihuset at Fredensborg castle,
Queen Ingrid's home which will ready for Frederik in the spring.
Lately Frederik and Mary have visited the building several times
accompanied by an architect and an interiorarchitect.
- Queen Margrethe has met Mary Donaldson and approves of her
as the future wife of her eldest son.
According to well informed sources in Copenhagen Margrethe has said
"søt og intelligent pike" about Mary and that she is "svært begeistret" for Mary.

Some over on the SMRB are hinting at a pre-Xmas engagement date, but no one is willing to stick their neck out on it, given past "sources and information" that were given. Remember TV2 in Denmark (not a tab channel, I presume was positive with its political sources in the summer about a date)

Someone from the SRMB pointed out that Q. Margrethe was in England last week so it's not for sure that Mary's father met the Queen. I have to say that I doubt there'll be an engagement this side of new years. Our goverment is quite busy with the EU negotionations. I don't believe a may 2003 weeding would be wise, but that's of course only my opinion..

Maria

I don't think that Mr. Donaldson's trip to Denmark means that there we will be an engagement anytime soon. In my humble opinion it only proves that an engagement announcement anytime this year is a very slim possibilty. Last week during Mr. Donaldson's visit , Queen Margrethe was in England. If there was to be an engagement announcement soon, then why would Mr. Donaldson visit during a week in which Her Majesty was out of town? I would tend to believe that Mr. Donaldson would visit along with his wife during a more convenient and sensible time in which all of the pertinent members of the royal family were present in Denmark. This visit seems to be misplaced to me if an engagement were going to be announced soon.

Mr. Donaldson may simply have been paying his daughter an early Christmas visit. Which leaves another question: Does anyone think that Mary will travel home for the Christmas holidays or was the visit by her father the only time that she is going to see any member of her family during the holiday season?

Hi everyone..

This is what John D. said to Billed Bladets reporter (also posted in Royal Forum)

Hugs from

Rikke :rolleyes:

The Interview with John Donaldson (in short):

John D. and his wife Susan Moody met Billed Bladet reporter Anna Johannesen one day last week in Oxford while walking down the street hand-in-hand.
Q: The 24th of May has been mentioned as a posible weddingdate. Do you think it will be the one??
A: I don't know. I don't know any date, but don't you think we have to take it easy.. There has to be an engagement first.. (John D.)
- But you can't attend a wedding on the 24th of May, John.. You have to teach that day! his wife says spontanuosly (sp?)

- We are a little carefull about all this, John D. says..

- I would rather that all information comes from Mary herself, and as a matter of fact I don't know very much about it all. Because I don't ask, when I call. I mostly talk with Mary about her job, if she has spoken to her siblings recently and what else there can be of news in the family. When you don't know anything about your daugthers private life, there isn't anything to tell to others, John D. says. But he does know that she recently has taken a course with her colleagues from Navision and that she is learning danish..

Q: yes, how is she doing??
A: Good, I hope.
- I have heard Mary say a few danish word, and in my ears it sounds like she is getting the right accent, Susan Moody says.

Q: Did Mary wisit her siblings while she was in Australia with the CP??
A: I didn't even know they were attending a wedding in Sydney, but I understand that Mary wanted to see the Melbourne Cup. Mary loves horses and the M. Cup is one of the biggest events in Australia.. Susan (looks courios (sp?)) asks: Did they come hand-in-hand?? - (rep.) : No, but the CP had his arms around Mary.
- The arm around her..! Did you hear that John, she says and they both look very happy.

Q: When are you visiting Mary in Copenhagen??
"A": The couple get quiet, looks quickly at eachother - then Susan starts telling that she has been in DK mulitple (sp?) times and that she wants to show John Copenhagen one day.

Q: Where are you celebrating Christmas??
A: (no answer)

They walk into their house...

Next day they met John D. at the Gatewick airport - they are on the same plane to Copenhagen.

Q: Goodmorning. You have been up early??
A: Yes at 3.30 AM. And I hear it is cold in DK, he says.

Q: Do you look forward to see Mary and her new appartment??
A: I am going to Aarhus to visit a professor at the university. It has been planed for long, but I haven't had an opportunety to go untill now..

Q: But you are going to spend the weekend with your daughter??
A: John D. smiles secretly, Puts his bag away and says goodbye..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you SO much Rikke for the translation!!

He smiles secretly? Boy, this reporter injected her agenda into their motions.

I am still really suprised he talked to Billed Bladet.

Her parents pretty much quashed the May 24th date. Unless they were just flat out lying, but I don't think they would answer straight out NO. Wouldn't it be wiser to just evade the question, like about going to Copenhagen.

From the way her parents spoke, I don't get the impression that she is super close to her family. Her step-mother asked the reporter if they held hands?? Weird to say to a reporter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom