Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure QM respects Alex, but there is actually lot more interaction and smiling between Mary and Margarethe than Alex and Margarethe. I also think Henrik, from what he said in the PDV interview, respects and appreciates Mary a lot too. And yes, I also see more smiling/ interaction between Mary and Henrik for that matter than Alex and Henrik. But again, this is just what we see, which may not tell the whole story. But that QM does not like Mary is as believable as saying QM does not like Alex - we just don't know.

Originally posted by Canonette@Apr 30th, 2004 - 6:32 pm
I'm sure QM respects Alex, but there is actually lot more interaction and smiling between Mary and Margarethe than Alex and Margarethe. I also think Henrik, from what he said in the PDV interview, respects and appreciates Mary a lot too. And yes, I also see more smiling/ interaction between Mary and Henrik for that matter than Alex and Henrik. But again, this is just what we see, which may not tell the whole story. But that QM does not like Mary is as believable as saying QM does not like Alex - we just don't know.
Do you have evidence or proof that Queen Margrethe seems to like or prefer Mary over Alex? These are heavy points to make without substantial evidence to support these beliefs, with only just a few pictures and "looks" from pictures or videos as evidence of neopotism by the Queen towards her daughter-in-laws.

I think that from what few pictures we have seen of the Queen and Mary interacting, it may seem like the Queen smiles more to Mary or more interaction because Mary is just starting to learn the ropes of being a member of the royal family. And as the Queen has grown up with the kind of life Mary is just stepping into now, the Queen may be helping and guiding her; whereas Alexandra has had nearly 10 years as part of the family and doesn't need the guidance (or as much) as Mary does at present.

Also, from the most recent occasion, the Queen's 64th birthday, there were more opportunities for the Queen to give Mary meaningful looks or to smile at her more as they were standing next to each other on the balcony. Alexandra was way at the end, watching her sons, with the Queen 2 people remove from her (Joachim and Henrik). Hard to shoot someone smiles or meaningful looks when they're that far away from you.

No I am saying no one will know. So a poster saying "QM does not like Mary in private" is just as insubstantial as saying QM does not like Alex. I'm saying that the question posed is almost impossible to answer by any posters (unless that poster is Qm or Mary or knows them well).

Hope that explains it

I honestly don't think QMII would let her son marry just anyone and have just anyone become the next queen of her beloved country, so she must KINDA like Mary :p ! The whole mother-in-law/ daughter-in-law relationship is very complicated normally, so I'd imagine it's weird but tolerable here too. Also, I have no idea why someone might think that QMII doesn't really like Alex. Who doesn't love Alex :flower: !? Has QMII ever commented on her children, grandchildren, and/or in-laws????
~Kathleen

By the way, she is wearing very similar blouse that I have. It costs me circ. $50. :lol:

May 3, 2004 - The Copenhagen Post

Sweet Charity for Mary Donaldson

Inspired by a similar project in Sweden, Denmark's 1000 associated bakers and confectioners will begin a DKK 1.5 million fundraising drive to establish a foundation for disadvantaged children in Mary Donaldson's name. Organisers hope that Crown Princess Mary will lead the foundation, which has been designed as a wedding gift in her honour. "The idea sprung from our realisation that the royal couple's gift list lacked something of lasting value, with a meaningful, future-oriented perspective. And since the newspapers are dominated every day with stories of attacks on children, I thought this was a good idea," said Humlebæk master baker Thomas Jørgensen, the man behind the Mary Foundation initiative. In order to raise startup funds for the new charity, participating bakers and confectioners will raise prices on their best-selling breads and cakes by DKK 2.50, and then match that amount for every product sold.

from the Sunday Tasmanian

Advice for royal couple
By PAUL POTTINGER

DENMARK'S Crown Prince Frederik and his Australian wife-to-be Mary Donaldson are receiving pre-nuptial counselling ahead of their May 14 wedding.

One of Denmark's most senior clerics, Bishop of Copenhagen Erik Norman Svendsen, is providing advice to his future king and queen.

Although the eyes of the world will be focused on the Danish capital in a fortnight's time, Bishop Svendsen insisted that the royal wedding will be like any other in the almost entirely Lutheran country -- but with "an unusually large number of guests". The bishop admitted the Tasmanian-born Miss Donaldson had made an enormous impression upon him.

"She seems bright, independent and mature. And they are both very clearly in love, as well they should be," he said.

"We speak Danish together, as it's important to the Royal Court and to Mary Donaldson personally.

"But there are some terms relating to the sacrament of marriage that can be difficult to understand in Danish, and which I have had to translate into English."

Apart from discussing the practical considerations of the ceremony -- which will take place in central Copenhagen's Vor Frue Kirke -- Bishop Svendsen said sanctity of marriage had been on the agenda.

Half of all Danish marriages end in divorce.

"We've also talked about what it means to live a married life, and the seriousness of the marriage vow, which as we all know ends with 'til death us do part'," Bishop Svendsen said.

"You can't talk about the meaning of the ritual without taking into account that so many marriages end in divorce.

"A royal couple can get divorced like anyone else, and I doubt the public outcry would be as great today as it might have been a generation ago.

"But this is a mature, well-educated couple, and I think that adds up in their favour.

"They both have a strong cushion of life experiences, and that gives them a good chance to establish a relationship based on mutual respect."

from news.com.au

Family heads to Denmark for royal celebration
By HEATHER LOW CHOY
May 3, 2004

THE family of Tasmanian princess-to-be Mary Donaldson left Hobart yesterday, bound for royal wedding celebrations in Denmark.

Ms Donaldson is to marry Crown Prince Frederik in a lavish ceremony in Copenhagen on May 14.

Her sister Patricia Bailey, husband Scott and their children Michael, Maddison and Mollie were excited about their trip to Denmark.

Mrs Bailey told reporters at the airport she had not spoken to Mary for a while.

"She is quite busy getting herself organised. I'm sure she's a bit stressed and excited," Mrs Bailey said.

While the wedding will be run strictly according to royal protocol, the Tasmanian relations intend combining the formal celebrations with a family holiday.

Mr Bailey said he was hoping they would have a "great time" and see as much of Denmark as they could.

Mrs Bailey said there were functions planned and she had to pack a few dresses.

Mary's immediate family is part of an expanding contingent of Tasmanians travelling to Copenhagen for wedding celebrations.

Several of Mary's cousins are believed to have left for Copenhagen at the weekend.

A female cousin told friends she had received an edict from the palace that she bring three formal gowns with her.

It was decreed at least two of these gowns should fall from waist to floor.

The Danish palace had instructed that female guests were to wear attire that covered their shoulders to watch the royal couple exchange vows in a Copenhagen cathedral, Mary's cousin said.

This edict suggests Mary's wedding gown will be modestly cut, and have sleeves of some kind.

Incat boss Bob Clifford also left Tasmania at the weekend, bound for a pre-wedding celebration in Copenhagen to be hosted by Governor-General Michael Jeffery.

Mr Clifford, who has long had business links with Denmark, said the upcoming royal nuptials certainly had not hurt his chances of improving business relationships there.

It is believed an executive representing a Tasmanian-based wind farm components manufacturer is also on his way to Copenhagen for the Governor-General's function.

Meanwhile, an upmarket English china company has produced a plate and cup to commemorate Denmark's royal wedding. Chown China's commemorative pieces feature a central portrait of the couple in full colour, embellished with gold wattle and lily of the valley.

The Royal Coat of Arms is in full colour at the top of the plate. A kangaroo and elephant form part of the design.

The china can be ordered from the Chown China factory in Hayle, Cornwall.

The Mercury

Has anyone got any photos of the Defence Force march today? I'm DYING (gee that word looks weird in caps :p ) to see photos of the first day of the wedding activities!!!! :woot: :woot: :woot:

http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/kongehuset/weddin...rticleID=167164

Princess Benedikte: Give Mary some privacy
6. maj 2004 12:20

Give Mary some peace. She needs and is entitled to a private life. Thus sounds the request from the Crown Prince’s aunt, Princess Benedikte, to the press previous to the royal wedding.

-We cannot insist that Mary shall be exposed day and night. She also needs a private life to be able to recharge and give what she herself feels she shall give. So I heartily hope, and I cannot stress this enough, that the press will allow her to have her privacy, says Princess Benedikte.

Sympathy from the Press
Princess Benedikte hopes that the press will understand that a human being cannot stand to constantly be in the full blaze of publicity.

She needs a private life in which the press takes no part. She needs to be able to leave her hair down, to let the smile fade from time to time and not just smile around the clock, because that is mentally unbearable, says the Princess.

-She needs to be able to let the smile fade from time to time and not just smile around the clock, because that is mentally unbearable.

A harmonic couple
Princess Benedikte has spent time with the couple several times and she believes that it is a harmonic couple, who among other things has a mutual interest in different sports. She believes they can be a tremendous support to each other, which Princess Benedikte has already noticed on several occasions.

-They both have extroverted personalities and they are glad and openminded persons. I believe they can be a good team. I hope that they will develop this teamwork, so that we in Denmark will appreciate the effort, which I am sure they will both put into the future.

A good advice
Princess Benedikte herself has moved to a foreign country and has some good advice for Mary Donaldson. It is important to stand aside first and become familiar with the Danish mentality. Therefore it is good that Mary has lived in Denmark for a little over a year before the wedding. She will then have become familiar with the country, both its climate and its people.

Mary Donaldson will undertake many official tasks in the future. However, Princess Benedikte is certain that Mary Donaldson is aware that she must also herself form the tasks she undertakes in the future.

-It is a good idea to stand aside first and become familiar with the Danish mentality.

They are going to be my favorite royal couple, It's just fsacinating to see them together. I'm sure their children will be great looking! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom