The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Courtier

I hope someone can translate this into English.

Margrethe skåner Mary

Der findes ingen love eller regler, der bestemmer, hvilke officielle arrangementer Mary Donaldson må deltage i før brylluppet til maj. Hendes svigermor vurderer fra gang til gang, om Mary skal med. Derfor var Mary ikke med til årets nytårskure, for dronning Margrethe vil skåne sin svigerdatter mest muligt.

Hvor er Mary? Hvorfor er hun ikke med nu, da de er officielt forlovet?
Spørgsmålene lyder hver eneste gang, den kongelige familie viser sig uden Mary Donaldson. For kronprins Frederiks forlovede er fantastisk populær, og alle ønsker at se hende. De sidste officielle arrangementer, kongefamilien deltog i, var nytårstaflet på Amalienborg og de to nytårskure på Christiansborg Slot i begyndelsen af denne uge. Mary var ikke med til nogen af delene, selv om hun var i Danmark. Hvorfor var hun ikke inviteret, spørger mange.

Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 01-11-2004, 09:38 PM

Hi,

I recently joined looking for information on Mary Donaldson and I can see I came to the right place for this and much more besides. This is a really well put together resource that covers a broad area in impressive detail.

Like many Australians, I’m sure, the first I was aware of Mary’s existence was when the engagement was announced. Normally I can’t say this would have meant much, but the sight of her did pull me up short. Not just her features, but also the way she was dressed, made a big impression. Yes, perhaps she does look a bit distant. I actually quite like this. Australians are by nature relaxed and informal so I find this quality refreshing (even if here it probably is more of a veneer due to the unfamiliarity with her position).

Similarly, Australians tend to dress down rather than up at least when it comes to day wear. The ensemble that Mary wore at her engagement announcement seemed to me to have a restrained elegance which I again find most attractive. I have to say on looking at more recent photos I tend to agree with those of you who have been more critical of her ongoing dress sense and do wonder if there wasn’t more of the mark of a royal stylist in the choice for the announcement. As for her hair, I rather liked it. Not very modern perhaps but I thought it suited her outfit.

I’ve also been interested in the ongoing discussion on her. Like many of you I was rather surprised at the English accent that she affected at the press conference. Whilst Tasmania may well be the most English of the Australian states I think that has more to do with its climate than dialect. Prior to the 1970s it was not uncommon for those seeking to convey a sense of ‘good breeding’ to affect clipped English tones, but you hear a lot less of it today. As for her Danish, well her speech at the beginning did rather sound like something she had learnt off by heart. She seemed to have more trouble answering questions off the cuff. But as has been pointed out the whole experience would have been fairly stressful.

Anyway I’ll be interested in seeing what transpires as we count down to the wedding. I’m also enjoying going through the rest of the site. Although I’m sure this isn’t news to you I have realised that royalty seems to be one of the last outposts of classical elegant dressing.

Best Wishes,

WILLIAM

Old 01-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Courtier

How tall is Mary?
Old 01-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

1977 : Sandy Bay Infant School copy photo in Hobart from 1977 of student Mary Donaldson as young girl, who is now engaged to be married to Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark.

Portrait of Mary Donaldson middle row far right from the Taroona High School 1987 Year Book Grade 10 class photo. It was announced yesterday in the Danish Newspapers the engagement of Crown Prince Frederik to Mary Donaldson a young Real Estate agent from Tasmania.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	school_pic.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	35567  
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
She was such a cute little girl. Of course, she's such a beautiful woman now.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Royal Highness

And Mary came in 3rd place in Hello! Magazine online's poll for "Most Elegant Woman of 2003"!

Results

1. Liv Tyler
2. Nicole Kidman
3. Mary Donaldson
4. Queen Rania of Jordan
5. Catherine Zeta-Jones
6. Sandra Bullock
7. Angelina Jolie
8. Gwyneth Paltrow
9. Victoria Beckham
10. Charlize Theron
11. Reese Witherspoon
12. Natalie Imbruglia
Old 01-16-2004, 10:55 PM

That is great for Mary but I have to say I think that result is a bit bizarrre given that she has had a pretty low profile for the year and I wouldnt have thought she had been seen enough for an assessment to be made. Still those things are hardly accurate.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:26 PM
Gentry

yeah... she's new to all of this. she even beat queen rania in the result !!

i think it was possibly the danes that have been voting for her . it happened before to CP Fred after the announcement of the engagement. the danes decided to vote him to win something similar like this as a last send-off to him before his marriage.

looks like Mary is likely to be a popular CP .
Old 01-19-2004, 07:10 AM
Courtier

Does anyone know exactly when the documentary will be shown? They should show it on the 12th or whenever the festivities start - not only on the day of the wedding.

I wish I was going to Denmark!!! Too bad... will they put it on the net do you think?
Old 01-22-2004, 06:31 AM
Nobility

mary
20031211 Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark«s fiancee Mary Donaldson arrive to the Tivoli amusement park in Copenhagen Denmark for the performance of the Opera The Nutcracker, December 11, 2003. She was accompanied by her friend the Rose Gad, ballerina at the Royal Ballet.. At left Ceo of the amusenent park Lars Liebst Photo Mogens Flindt / SCANPIX Code 94002

mary

mary again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IML_SCANPIX_1000020943.jpg
Views:	4891
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	36563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IML_SCANPIX_1000020944.jpg
Views:	7053
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	36564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IML_SCANPIX_1000020945.jpg
Views:	4760
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	36565  
Old 01-22-2004, 06:32 AM
Nobility

mary
AARHUS 20031222 Crown Prince Frederik and his fiancŽ Mary Donaldson arrive to the premiere of the Les Les Miserables at the House of Music in Aarhus, Denmark, December 22, 2003. Photo CLAUS FISKER / SCANPIX Code 93005

mary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IML_SCANPIX_1000025891.jpg
Views:	3415
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	36566   Click image for larger version

Name:	IML_SCANPIX_1000025894.jpg
Views:	3923
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	36567  
Old 01-22-2004, 06:37 AM
Nobility

mary
AARHUS 20031224 Mary Donaldson and Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark arrives to Aarhus cathedral for a christmas service at Christmas eve, December 24, 2003. Foto Jens Noergaard Larsen / SCANPIX Code 93002

mary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IML_SCANPIX_1000026452.jpg
Views:	1501
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	36568   Click image for larger version

Name:	IML_SCANPIX_1000026454.jpg
Views:	2709
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	36569  
Old 01-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Nobility

mary
unwashed hair but very interesting bag.

mary
i think this is beautiful picture

she likes children. she talks to one of the kids at a wedding she attended with frederik a couple of years ago. she was a brides-maid

struggling with photographers and journalists
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IML_SCANPIX_09_donaldson.jpg
Views:	3257
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	36571   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCANPIX_23_mary_frederik_5.jpg
Views:	5294
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	36572  
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2004, 03:06 AM
Courtier

from news.com.au

Donaldson's citizenship faces debate
From correspondents in Copenhagen
January 30, 2004

LAWMAKERS will start debate next week on granting Danish citizenship to Crown Prince Frederik's Australian fiancee, Mary Donaldson, and most will vote in favour, a parliamentary official said today.

The couple is to wed at Copenhagen's Lutheran cathedral on May 14.

Donaldson, 31, from Australia's island state of Tasmania, will become Crown Princess Mary.

Her naturalisation is seen as a formality, but it has to go through Parliament. The first of three debates is set for February 6.

Under Danish law, a foreigner can be granted citizenship after living seven years in Denmark.

However, foreigners marrying members of the royal family are exempted.

"Obviously, there will be a huge majority in favour of granting Donaldson citizenship," Else Theill Soerensen, the chairwoman of Parliament's 17-member naturalisation committee, told The Associated Press.

"I have no doubts."

Under the proposal presented yesterday by Immigration Minister Bertel Haarder, Donaldson would become a Danish citizen on her wedding day.

She has already asked to renounce her dual Australian and British citizenship and convert to Denmark's state Lutheran Evangelical Church.

Both are requirements for joining Denmark's royal family.

The same procedure was applied to Hong Kong-born Alexandra Manley when she wed Prince Joachim, Frederik's brother, in November 1995. A majority in the 179-seat Parliament gave her a Danish passport.

Donaldson met the 35-year-old heir to the Danish throne during the 2000 Olympics in Sydney.

Danes are starting to gear up for the wedding, which will include a week of official celebrations.

Today, organisers said a rock concert was scheduled for May 9 at Denmark's Parken soccer stadium in Copenhagen. The list of performers is to be released Monday.

The Associated Press
Never let go of anyone that you could not go a day without thinking about. There just might be a very good reason why they're always on your mind. Sometimes, it's the brain that knows too well what the heart tries so hard to deny
~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 02-01-2004, 03:10 AM
Courtier

It's like May would be a very heavy traffic for LTR. It's like thousands would be on-line!!

We have 3 major weddings. May 14 for the Danes, 22 for the Spaniards and 27 for the Jordanians!

~ ~ Anonymous ~ ~
Old 02-01-2004, 04:32 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by paulette@Feb 1st, 2004 - 8:10 am
It's like May would be a very heavy traffic for LTR.
We have 3 major weddings.
May 14 for the Danes,
22 for the Spaniards and
27 for the Jordanians!
Hmmm, the Crown Prince of Jordan MARRIED 29.august 2003 !

-- but a royal party to celebrate their marriage
they certainly have planned for 27.may 2004
-- Crown Prince Felipe confirmed he and his wife will attend that celebration.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:56 AM
Commoner

Do you think mary is being used as a door mat by the royal family and the press
or doesn't she know how to stick up for her self when the pressure is on her and say no and back off to everyone. And i saw a program last week about the late princess diana and how three months after her wedding she was not evan propered for her royal postion as a new princess and how to handle people or the media she keep't on asking sameone if she was doing things correctly and properly and seemed very uncertain with the way she was doing things. Maybe mary feels the same way and she wants same power to inform people how she feels and thinks and what her likes and dislikes are and evan what her options are.
But it seems like there not give her much flexiablity and what about giving up your children in case of a divorce? If i was in her postion and the royal family total me that i would tell them see you later it not worth lossing your own children to the royal family and i guess in this case the royal family wins hand down and mary will loss everything if a divorce does happen. It hard enough just living in a normal married life when one day you divorce and than you fight over kids and cars and money and evan the house and know people are strating to fight over the family pet plz how sad.

I would love your options
And it looks like mary doesn't know how to set bountries when needed with certain people like the media.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:33 AM
Commoner

Marriage into royalty is a sacrifice. What you have intimated is part of the sacrifice. You are not marrying Joe Blogs down the street and if the future Crown Princesses (Mary and Letizia) have not appreciated this issue they should not be on the arms of their beaus and reck the institution in the future.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:37 AM
Courtier

I think every person who marries into royalty, especially if the offsprings is going to be 2nd in line to the throne, will be required to sign some kind of agreement whereby they give up the rights to the child. IMO just because Mary will be required to give up their children if her and Fred divorce doesn't mean that she's a doormat - that would make all those Crown Princesses (who married into royalty) doormats, which I don't think they are.

Everyone has different opinions, but I don't think Mary is being used as a doormat by the royal family. In what way is she a doormat? I have no idea what that criticism is based on. When was she ever required to do something she did not want to do? Can you substantiate your opinions, because I'm having trouble answering the question.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Josefine@Feb 5th, 2004 - 10:09 am
Happy birthday Mary.......
5.february 2004 is the last birthday for Mary as a commoner - and the danish media have noticed :flower:

Next year Mary's birthday will be a flag flying day
http://pics.jp.metropol.dk/107/107648/107648_normal.jpg

~ In a year we will be flying our flags for Mary Donaldson a decision by the justice department is all it takes.

"Mary Donaldson kan i dag fejre sin 32 års fødselsdag i stilhed, men fra næste år bliver kronprinsessens fødselsdag synlig over hele landet

5. februar bliver nemlig officiel flagdag i Danmark på linje med andre fødselsdage i dronning Margrethes nære familie."

Tillykke, Mary - af Karin Schmidt - 5.february 2004
~ Happy birthday, Mary

A longer article on the past year in Mary's life. The journalist says during the year she has become the focal point for the danes.

"I løbet af det sidste år er hun blevet danskernes midtpunkt nummer ét."