The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Aristocracy

I think Mary looks more or less fantastic. Yes some of the pictures aren't that succesfull, but we have to remember that when pressphotographers take pictures they use 3 or 4 films at an location such as the royal engagement, offcourse some of them will turn out bad. I don't believe that Mary sucks her cheeks in an keep her head held high on purpose, she just had some bad pictures taken, it could happen to anyone - no?

The dresses and outfits she wore before the engagement were mostly designed by some of the top danish designers. I think this showed a generel interest in one of Denmarks top industries. Unfortunately beeing a royal she will propably have to tone it down a bit. Too bad, because to me her wardrobe was very refreshing compared to other royals.

By the way, there has been so much talk about not liking Mary and I would just like to say, that i'm a dane and I find her wonderfull. Nothing wrong with the way she looks, speaks danish or appear in generel. I can't speak for all danes, but I now that most people would agree with me. :P

Old 12-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I don´t understand the Mary-antipathy too...I rather admire her for her courage to try this princess-thing...she could have chosen so much better. E.g a rich bachelor, who takes he to Marbella, St. Tropez and that all without the nasty press and an antiquated etiquette, learning a new language, all time presence of the mother in law (Don´t get me wrong, Margrethe seems to have a great personality, but as wife of a husband, who isn´t prince, your mother in law has far less influence). And I pity her a little bit, Mary seems to be a person, with a high lack of self confidence.
For me this pert Letizia-girl is far more worse than Mary. Yes, I don´t know any of them, and I will try to give both a chance. But my personal feeling says: Mary-yes, Letizia-no.

Old 12-08-2003, 09:47 PM
Gentry

Hello Lena,

What is the difficult of what you say princessthing ? I think nothing difficulties to be Royal Family esspecially in modern monarch which only carry social duties (cut the ribbon in many events, lead some organizations with a huge advisors etc.). I don't hesitate Mary can perform her duty, look at Mette Marit which has less educational CV than her can make it.

But if you compare to Letizia, wow Mary should shame on her. Letizia has own life and Mary's spent Frederick money for her life since she moved to Denmark.

Wisnu
Old 12-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Wisnu@Dec 8th, 2003 - 8:47 pm
Hello Lena,

What is the difficult of what you say princessthing ? I think nothing difficulties to be Royal Family esspecially in modern monarch which only carry social duties (cut the ribbon in many events, lead some organizations with a huge advisors etc.). I don't hesitate Mary can perform her duty, look at Mette Marit which has less educational CV than her can make it.

But if you compare to Letizia, wow Mary should shame on her. Letizia has own life and Mary's spent Frederick money for her life since she moved to Denmark.

Wisnu
I know, what you mean. My dad usually says about Royals, that they should do real work (physical and intellectual) and THEN they will know, how their people feel...
And in a way he´s right...if there would be just the ribbon-cutting or children hugging it would be an easy job, and I would be the first, who would take this job. But in comparison to former times, in which the sovereign could forbid the people or even kill people, who said anything negative about (thanks god, that these times are over, because otherwise almost all members of LTR would be dead ) him/her, he or she now has to stand all the criticism. And that seems to be really tough for young princesses. Think of Mette-Marit, who suffered in the first year fom different diseases, or think of princess Diana and princess Victoria, who suffered from eating disorders, or look at Mary´s current weight loss and her nervous gestures...
And I´m not sure, but as far as I remember Mary still worked for a company (Microsoft?) in Copenhagen.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:36 PM
Nobility

I think Mary looks like Rita Wilson (Tom Hanks' wife)
Old 12-09-2003, 12:34 AM
Gentry

Hello Lena,

What ever I say now, Mary is crownprincess to be. Her life in Denmark which made negative thinking on her for some people just like me. Then her duty now to uplift her image.

Wisnu
Old 12-09-2003, 03:43 AM
Nobility

i take my above comment back, as i was looking for rita wilson pics to post here, I changed my opinion - Rita Wilson is far prettier than Mary. Sory...
Old 12-09-2003, 07:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Wisnu@Dec 9th, 2003 - 5:34 am
Her life in Denmark which made negative thinking on her for some people just like me. Then her duty now to uplift her image.
:o

Mary has no duty whatsoever

towards you

the foreign royal message boards's posters !

Hmmm, you do know that an overwhelming amount of the danes

are more than pleased with their future Crown Princess Mary ?
Old 12-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that Mary's an admirable woman. :flower: It has to be hard, coming out of "nowhere" (speaking from a pr-standpoint) and adapting to a life in the spotlight. It would be on anyone.

The Danish press is probably much more gentle than say the German or British press would have been, but nevertheless it's a transition.

Kudos to Mary for carrying it off so well.

(And since I'm Norwegian, I'm entitled to think she's a member of the Norwegian royal family... and I think she's doing wonderfully.) :flower:
Old 12-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Commoner

Lena,

Correctly me if I'm wrong, Mary got a job with Microsoft (denmark) because of Frederik. One of his friends is the head (?) of the company.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by sunlesstanning@Dec 9th, 2003 - 12:17 pm
Lena,

Correctly me if I'm wrong, Mary got a job with Microsoft (denmark) because of Frederik.  One of his friends is the head (?) of the company.
I don´t know, how she got this job. But what would be the problem, if she got the job through a friend of Frederik?! Most people get a job through friends of their partners, relatives...especially when they start to work in an other country.
It seems to me as if some people here would even search for every little hint, which could show/prove, that Mary is evil.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Nobility

i doubt that anyone wants to unveil her as evil. its a natural development for a public persona. but i think we can stop talking about her professional life: we have all realised that she was not particularely ambitious with only graduating with a BA and working in low-profile jobs. the fact that she indeed got her job through frederik tops it, but its not surprising.

yes, lena, for a first job its not surprising to use ones connections. but mary is a grown woman with more than 10 years of working experience. she was not transfered by her austrialian company but by her then-lover. nepotism happens everywhere, you are right, but we have all long discovered that normal rules dont apply for members of royal families that themselves are not allowed to work. i see a conflict here too. but its none of our business and over now anyway.

just one little example: maxima had a high position within deutsche bank investment services in NY and was transfered to Brussles. although i doub that anyone would have denied her this job once the reasons for her move were known, i doubt that alexander played a role in this. really: what is the insentive for microsoft in danmark to hire an australian who probably had problems getting a working permit (they normally go through these hassels for highly qualified people...) and doesnt even speak the countries language properly???? to do marketing in a company one has to know the country in which one works...

you see, there are a lot of reasons to wonder about this job of marys. but: it has been discussed in length and is true, one should waste ones typing energy on issues more worthwhile discussing, if it can ever be worthwhile discussing other poeples private lives.......
Old 12-09-2003, 06:13 PM
Commoner

Stating that Mary got the job through Frederik doesn't make or hint that she's evil. I don't find mary evil nor a saint. In general, it's admirable if a person gets a job without an assistance from anyone.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:51 PM
Gentry

Anna,

That's true Mary doesn't need to do anything to me, but people who don't like her not only me and keep remain forever.

Wisnu
Old 12-10-2003, 04:28 AM
Aristocracy

As long as the people disliking Mary are non-danes

she doesn't have to do anything to please them

However, we can not expect every citizen in a monarchy
to like every one of their royals. :P

:stuart: I don't know of a land which has only 100% beloved members, do you ?
Old 12-10-2003, 04:57 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I don't know of a land which has only 100% beloved members, do you ?
I do, in my country Indonesia eventhough it's Republic but the goverment give previledge to ex monarch to rule a land such as province. This province named Jogjakarta who governed by Hamengkubuwono dinasty as a governor. Four years ago the one of political party proposed an election to select new governor, 90% of people who sit in parliament against them. Majority insisted the Hamengkubuwono dinasty to keep ruling. Everybody in Jogjakarta including foreigner (I say for the people from outside Jogjakarta who live in that province) love Hamengkubuwono dinasty.

Comparing with the behaviour of your monarch, wow Hamengkubuwono much better. Each member of this family are well educated, keep control their step, eventhough they are really rich but no one in that family have wild life like Fred.

Wisnu
Old 12-10-2003, 09:16 AM
Laure LeGall

Mary does not need to care about those gossip or comments about her. Her success is being like by a crown prince.
What matter is that the image of royal family of Denmark will certainly be demaged at some extent. As if you hear what peope are talking about. She is not someone who is capable of bringing special value to her future royal house. The biggest problem is that Mary can not be herself, like the crown princess of Norwaygian, she wins the respect as she knows where is her last life.
Yes, Mary, go on with your own way.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Nobility

I see a resemblance w/the actress Frances O'Connor, who is in the current movie "Timeline." She was also in the awesome movie "Madame Bovary" a few years ago.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:26 AM
Gentry

I wonder if when Mary was refering to Danes as being"slow" she wasn't refer to a particular Dane .Hmmmm I wonder who that could be.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

She didn't refer to the Danes as being 'slow' , Henrik's brother, Etienne de Monpezat, who interviewed them messed the interview up, added things they didn't say by translating it completely wrong. He said so himself and apologized for it.

Closed Thread