Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Alexandria@Dec 31st, 2003 - 3:19 pm
That would be nice if her father and step-mother could relocate to be closer to Mary. In her position I would certainly appreciate such support. But I guess the argument could be made that as much as her father and step-mother may want to support her and help her in her new life they have their own life in Australia, with careers and friends.
Let's not forget that John Donaldson has three children living in Australia ;)

Does anyone know if Susan Moody has any children?

Billed Bladet

Frederiks kæreste imponerer: Mary taler flot dansk - 02.01.04

Siden Mary Donaldson ved forlovelsen den 8. oktober sidste år sagde sine første ord på dansk, har ingen hørt, hvor meget dygtigere landets kommende kronprinsesse er blevet til det vanskelige sprog. Få dage før jul var Mary på sit første halv-officielle besøg i Århus. Her var hun sammen med regentparret og kronprins Frederik i Musikhuset, hvor de overværede premieren på Stig Rossens nye udgave af musicalen »Les Misérables«.

De kongelige gæster blev modtaget af borgmester Louise Gade, der blandt andet i pausen af den tre timer lange forestilling havde rig lejlighed til at tale med Mary Donaldson.

– Hun taler flot dansk, og jeg er sikker på, at Mary Donaldson har et rigtig godt sprogøre, vurderer den 30-årige Århus-borgmester.

– Jeg havde bestemt indtryk af, at Mary også forstod alt, hvad der blev sagt til hende på dansk.

Læs mere i BILLED-BLADET og se flere billeder af Mary og Frederik til musical-premieren.

Attachments

• mary_flowers.jpg
    mary_flowers.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,856
Has anyone ever seen a photo of Mary's brother, John?

Can some translate that article in to english for the english speaking people here please. :(
billie-jo

The first part from what I gathered just says that they all went out together for the premiere. They met the mayor of Århus. Second part is translated more or less like this:

They royal callers were received by mayor Louise Street , who had plenty of opportunity to that talk to Mary Donaldson.(I skipped a part but I didn't quite get it.)

– She is a speaker in a big way in Danish, and i am certain at , that Mary Donaldson has learned Danish well and right , estimates the mayor.

– I had the certain impression that Mary too understood everything that , there was said to her in Danish.

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 4th, 2004 - 12:07 am
– I had the certain impression that Mary too understood everything that , there was said to her in Danish.
I think it's much easier to understand a language than to speak it. Mary's understanding of Danish could be excellent even if she can not speak it as fluently. I could understand whole conversations in French at a young age but it took me a little bit longer to catch up in the conversing of French.

I think it's much easier to understand a language than to speak it. Mary's understanding of Danish could be excellent even if she can not speak it as fluently. I could understand whole conversations in French at a young age but it took me a little bit longer to catch up in the conversing of French.
Very true. One of the steps in learning a language involves the "understanding what's being said" process. Like Alexandria, though I was a little older, I was able to understand conversations in Polish and French but not able to catch up conversationally until a bit later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Maria@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 1:30 am
Does anyone know if Susan Moody has any children?
Susan is the mother of three sons - born 1963, 1964, 1974 (A.J. in Billed-Bladet)

(Internet search results : Susan Elizabeth Howard Moody was born 1940 in Oxford, UK
- she has published books as Susan Moody, Susan Madison, Susannah James)

One of the things that I'm sure got Mary where she is today (no, not the airplane that brought her to Tasmania) is the fact that she kept her mouth shut. It seems like talking prematurely about your relationship with royals is a quick way to be booted out. Mary kept her mouth shut, and I find that admireable.

"I seems Denmark's princess-in-waiting, Tasmanian Mary Donaldson,
has put her smile on hold.

The brunette is said to have adopted a very serious demeanour since
her engagement on October 8.

It is not that she is unhappy, it's just all part of preparing for
life in the Danish royal household.

Danish journalist and avid royal watcher Kirsten Balslev says the
monarchy-loving Danes miss Mary's lovely smile and relaxed
appearance.

"When she became engaged she was smiling," she said.

"But at the state dinner [a fortnight later] she was stiff, ice cool
and looked so scared.

"It is so difficult for her because if she does something wrong,
everyone will look at her."

Ms Balslev said the Danish people had become anxious about Mary's
absence from the Copenhagen limelight.

The tall 31-year-old is constantly shadowed by security guards and
spends several hours a day immersed in language and cultural studies
to the point where her fans complain that they never see her.

She did not attend Queen Margrethe's New Year's Day party, leading
to speculation that she is on holiday, possibly in Australia.

Ms Balslev says the Danes accept that Mary has only a limited time
to become fluent in the Danish language and customs before her
marriage to Prince Frederik on May 14.

They believe she is a little frightened of the task ahead but come
the wedding day the Mary of old will return.

"We say she is at princess school," Ms Balslev said.

"Mary is the only pupil and she has to be very clever.

"She is studying Danish three or four hours every day and she needs
to know about Danish society and how everything works here.

"She does not smile much any more."

Ms Balslev said Mary continued to be very popular in Denmark.

"We just want to see her but we don't," she said.

Speculation continues that Mary will return to Tasmania this month
to attend her sister Patricia's wedding.

The exact date and location of the wedding have been kept secret.

Before her May wedding, Mary intends touring Tasmania with a
documentary film crew which has been commissioned to prepare a
television program on her life. "

They were at the Melbourne Cup (a horse race) in Australia. She's watching a race on TV, while he's warning a photographer to leave them alone or else!

Mary's father has been hired as a guest lecturer at the University of Aarhus:
bt.dk.

Den 62-årige John Dalgleish Donaldson, som er far til Mary Donaldson, er blevet ansat i et gæsteprofessorat på Aarhus Universitet. Det fortæller TV 2 / Østjylland.

- Det er korrekt. Vi har ansat John Donaldson i fire måneder. Han skal starte i midten af maj, understreger lektor Johan P. Hansen, der er leder på matematisk institut, hvor Marys far henholdsvis skal forske og forelæse i matematisk modellering.

- Vi har tidligere nydt godt af John Donaldsons kvaliteter som forelæser, og det har faktisk ikke noget med den kongelige forlovelse at gøre. En af mine studerende faldt tilfældigt i snak med John Donaldson under en konference i udlandet, og derved blev der skabt en kontakt, fortæller institutlederen.

Well, there's a conveniance. I know. He's well-known in his field and I'm sure any faculty would like to have him with them. I'll leave it alone. I just hope Mary puts some weight back on. I don't like this losing-weight-before-a-wedding idea. I thought she looked just fine.

About Donaldson being guest lecturer, well I suppose it's because of Mary. But at the same time, I think Donaldson would be an excellent guest lecturer (seeing as Oxford thought enough of him to make him visiting professor), so I suppose everyone wins. Hey! Mary's dad will be in Denmark with her!! So that will help her a lot, having family with you before the wedding (because I doubt Mary's sisters/brother will be in Denmark to help her in the months leading up to the wedding). Gosh, I would hate to get married away from my friends and family, but I suppose it happens.

And about Mary's weight, I suppose it's ok as long as she doesn't tell the dressmaker to "make it a size smaller because I'm going to lose weight for me wedding" like some brides do. I actually thought she was a bit big before - healthy, but big.

" About Donaldson being guest lecturer, well I suppose it's because of Mary. But at the same time, I think Donaldson would be an excellent guest lecturer (seeing as Oxford thought enough of him to make him visiting professor), so I suppose everyone wins. Hey! Mary's dad will be in Denmark with her!! So that will help her a lot, having family with you before the wedding (because I doubt Mary's sisters/brother will be in Denmark to help her in the months leading up to the wedding). Gosh, I would hate to get married away from my friends and family, but I suppose it happens. "

I was being too harsh. Guest lecturers are just picked. He isn't moving in front of anybody in line.

"And about Mary's weight, I suppose it's ok as long as she doesn't tell the dressmaker to "make it a size smaller because I'm going to lose weight for me wedding" like some brides do. I actually thought she was a bit big before - healthy, but big."

Well, that would be bad.

As he has been a guest lecturer at the same institution at least once before, that I know of, I doubt that their decision hire him had very much to do with his daughter's engagement. Had he been complete rubbish they wouldn't have taken him back. On the other hand I think his decision to move to Denmark had everything to do with Mary. Of course it is on the other side of the country, but Denmark isn't a very large country, unless you count Greenland and the Faroe Islands.

Mr. Donaldson seems to be respected in his field. And I think it's very nice that he wants to be closer to his daughter in these months that surely will be exhausting for her.

" As he has been a guest lecturer at the same institution at least once before, that I know of, I doubt that their decision hire him had very much to do with his daughter's engagement. "

Sorry. I didn't know. Denmark isn't huge. This is true.

"Mr. Donaldson seems to be respected in his field. And I think it's very nice that he wants to be closer to his daughter in these months that surely will be exhausting for her."

Yes, this is true.

13145.jpg

10060.jpg

10059.jpg

I hope someone can translate this into English.

Margrethe skåner Mary

Der findes ingen love eller regler, der bestemmer, hvilke officielle arrangementer Mary Donaldson må deltage i før brylluppet til maj. Hendes svigermor vurderer fra gang til gang, om Mary skal med. Derfor var Mary ikke med til årets nytårskure, for dronning Margrethe vil skåne sin svigerdatter mest muligt.

Hvor er Mary? Hvorfor er hun ikke med nu, da de er officielt forlovet?
Spørgsmålene lyder hver eneste gang, den kongelige familie viser sig uden Mary Donaldson. For kronprins Frederiks forlovede er fantastisk populær, og alle ønsker at se hende. De sidste officielle arrangementer, kongefamilien deltog i, var nytårstaflet på Amalienborg og de to nytårskure på Christiansborg Slot i begyndelsen af denne uge. Mary var ikke med til nogen af delene, selv om hun var i Danmark. Hvorfor var hun ikke inviteret, spørger mange.

Hi,

I recently joined looking for information on Mary Donaldson and I can see I came to the right place for this and much more besides. This is a really well put together resource that covers a broad area in impressive detail.

Like many Australians, I’m sure, the first I was aware of Mary’s existence was when the engagement was announced. Normally I can’t say this would have meant much, but the sight of her did pull me up short. Not just her features, but also the way she was dressed, made a big impression. Yes, perhaps she does look a bit distant. I actually quite like this. Australians are by nature relaxed and informal so I find this quality refreshing (even if here it probably is more of a veneer due to the unfamiliarity with her position).

Similarly, Australians tend to dress down rather than up at least when it comes to day wear. The ensemble that Mary wore at her engagement announcement seemed to me to have a restrained elegance which I again find most attractive. I have to say on looking at more recent photos I tend to agree with those of you who have been more critical of her ongoing dress sense and do wonder if there wasn’t more of the mark of a royal stylist in the choice for the announcement. As for her hair, I rather liked it. Not very modern perhaps but I thought it suited her outfit.

I’ve also been interested in the ongoing discussion on her. Like many of you I was rather surprised at the English accent that she affected at the press conference. Whilst Tasmania may well be the most English of the Australian states I think that has more to do with its climate than dialect. Prior to the 1970s it was not uncommon for those seeking to convey a sense of ‘good breeding’ to affect clipped English tones, but you hear a lot less of it today. As for her Danish, well her speech at the beginning did rather sound like something she had learnt off by heart. She seemed to have more trouble answering questions off the cuff. But as has been pointed out the whole experience would have been fairly stressful.

Anyway I’ll be interested in seeing what transpires as we count down to the wedding. I’m also enjoying going through the rest of the site. Although I’m sure this isn’t news to you I have realised that royalty seems to be one of the last outposts of classical elegant dressing.

Best Wishes,

WILLIAM

1977 : Sandy Bay Infant School copy photo in Hobart from 1977 of student Mary Donaldson as young girl, who is now engaged to be married to Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark.

Portrait of Mary Donaldson middle row far right from the Taroona High School 1987 Year Book Grade 10 class photo. It was announced yesterday in the Danish Newspapers the engagement of Crown Prince Frederik to Mary Donaldson a young Real Estate agent from Tasmania.

Attachments

• school_pic.jpg
    school_pic.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 292
  • middle_school.jpg
    middle_school.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,769
Last edited by a moderator:
She was such a cute little girl. Of course, she's such a beautiful woman now.

And Mary came in 3rd place in Hello! Magazine online's poll for "Most Elegant Woman of 2003"!

Results

1. Liv Tyler
2. Nicole Kidman
3. Mary Donaldson
4. Queen Rania of Jordan
5. Catherine Zeta-Jones
6. Sandra Bullock
7. Angelina Jolie
8. Gwyneth Paltrow
9. Victoria Beckham
10. Charlize Theron
11. Reese Witherspoon
12. Natalie Imbruglia

That is great for Mary but I have to say I think that result is a bit bizarrre given that she has had a pretty low profile for the year and I wouldnt have thought she had been seen enough for an assessment to be made. Still those things are hardly accurate.

yeah... she's new to all of this. she even beat queen rania in the result !!

i think it was possibly the danes that have been voting for her . it happened before to CP Fred after the announcement of the engagement. the danes decided to vote him to win something similar like this as a last send-off to him before his marriage.

looks like Mary is likely to be a popular CP .

Does anyone know exactly when the documentary will be shown? They should show it on the 12th or whenever the festivities start - not only on the day of the wedding.

I wish I was going to Denmark!!! Too bad... will they put it on the net do you think?

mary
20031211 Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark«s fiancee Mary Donaldson arrive to the Tivoli amusement park in Copenhagen Denmark for the performance of the Opera The Nutcracker, December 11, 2003. She was accompanied by her friend the Rose Gad, ballerina at the Royal Ballet.. At left Ceo of the amusenent park Lars Liebst Photo Mogens Flindt / SCANPIX Code 94002

mary

mary again

Attachments

• IML_SCANPIX_1000020943.jpg
    IML_SCANPIX_1000020943.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 7,083
  • IML_SCANPIX_1000020944.jpg
    IML_SCANPIX_1000020944.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 12,967
  • IML_SCANPIX_1000020945.jpg
    IML_SCANPIX_1000020945.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 6,967