Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that judging Mary's personality based on a particular pose in a particular picture is very silly. But actually, I looked at that head-tilt picture and thought, "Wow, she looks so much like her future mother-in-law!" I guess I think Margrethe tilts her head a lot!

At first glance also, my immediate reaction was that Mary had underdressed for the premiere, because it looked like she was wearing a ski jacket! But upon closer inspection, it does look like the fabrics are actually dressy velvet and silk. Maybe it was just one of those outfits that doesn't photograph well. In any case, I think Mary just needs some time to really learn how to dress for the camera, because she has made some good fashion choices in the past. It's obvious that Alexandra has already mastered that skill, having had years of practice: even though she was wearing furs and wraps and heels to a movie, which I would normally think is overkill, she managed to look so breezy and elegant.

Just hve to point out...both Mary and Alexandra curtsy to the Queen. Take a look at at earlier pic and you'll see Mary giving the Queen a curtsy.

Although I don't quite like the way Mary looks, I still think we shld be more objective and give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe behind the sucked in cheeks looks she's really a nice person. Anyway who are we to judge.

I think anyone that Fred choose to marry, be it Mary or another person will hve a hard act to follow after Alexandra.

I think Mary looks great. From what I can see, the jacket looks nice. Perhaps a good interior shot is necessary in order to discern it from the backdrop. As for Alexandra looking camera perfect, I love her outfit without the dead animal (sleek and flattering), but I wish she would stop wearing coats that make her look like an over dressed doll!

To me it is obvious Queen Margrethe and Mary had agreed on what to wear at the Lord of the Rings gala event.

Under the fur coat Margrethe had a black velvet jacket and a reddish/brownish chequered silk skirt which ended on the middle of her legs (below a not super online pic of her - but you may see the fabric of the skirt)

Margrethe 14.dec.

Mary 14.dec.

The flowers : The royal women can not decide which bouquets to get, you know. BUT this time the managers of the event did give those three females the wrong ones ! Those huge white bouquets were designed for the actors ! Smaller ones with handles designed for the royals, were in a box by the entrance. SF film admits the error of mixing up the two boxes with bouquets - according to Billed-Bladet #51.
Personally I rather liked the big white bouquets :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't notice the similar clothes between MII and Mary...It's a bit tacky imo.

Eliza where is this pic of mary curtsy to the queen?
billie-jo

I am not sure if that looks so good on her, what do you think?

that dress works for me.

A gentle experimenting of colours outside of successful brown/tan.

Originally posted by Alexandria@Nov 18th, 2003 - 6:30 am
After reading the first one I felt sorry for Mary and the very big shoes she will have to step into. ...................................Margrethe is very much lauded and put up on a pedestal in Denmark.......................... And I think that while the Danish people have embraced Mary as the future Crown Princess and likely Queen of Denmark, they are at the same time holding up a long list of things she must do and achieve and hoops she must jump through to earn ............................love and devotion they have for Margrethe, her mother and sisiters and Alexandra.
Hopefully Mary will resist the pressure to become anyone's carbon copy and instead will concentrate on her own unique traits and abilities.

Originally posted by Eliza@Dec 17th, 2003 - 1:27 am

.....Maybe behind the sucked in cheeks looks she's really a nice person. Anyway who are we to judge.

I know that this is a little OT. so I apologize. However, does everyone really think that Mary is purposely suching in her cheeks. I know that sometimes when an individual loses weight (especially women) that they lose some of the fat in their faces and if you have a certain bone structure (high cheek bones) your cheeks appear a bit hollow and seem to fall back into your face. Maybe this is the case with Mary. I would really hate to think that she is actually sucking in her cheeks in front of the camera. I would think that Mary would take one look of a photograph of her doing that and correct the problem immediately.

billie-jo, i have seen a photo of mary curtsying to the Queen in corbis. tried posting it here but failed. u can have a look on their website if u're still interested.

I keep looking at the pictures and I think Mary looks really sweet in some of them. But I'm still NOT A FAN OF THE BLACK TOP :p .

I really really love the skirt and shoes!!!!! IMO it's the cutest!! and then the top... sorry... I'd dump it. She looks happy in this pic though: pic - and I don't think she'd care about my not liking the top!!! (though if I was able to watch LOTR III now I would be happy too!! o well, 6 more sleeps!)

PS. you know, I really like the way Mary dresses. I think she's pretty stylish. So many others get it wrong, or they're way too conservative. Denmark's luck to have Alex and Mary. :flower: :flower:

Regarding the LOTR premier... I really like the SKIRT and the SHOES!!!!

Right, I've said it a million times. Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary's hair and make-up looks wonderful in these photos. I think I like her hair best swept up. :)

Mary Donaldson heading home
From Sydney Confidential

AUSTRALIA'S princess-in-waiting Mary Donaldson will return to Australia before she marries Crown Prince Frederik - possibly as soon as next month.

Donaldson will attend her sister Patricia's wedding. And, while secrecy surrounds the date and location of the nuptials, Confidential hears the wedding will take place in the sisters' home town of Hobart.

Donaldson will bring a Danish TV crew with her as they film a documentary about the former Taroona High School student's life.

The doco will give Danes a peek at the life of Donaldson, who met Prince Frederik at Sydney's Slip Inn bar during the 2000 Olympics.

The royal will marry Donaldson, 31, on May 14 at Copenhagen's Lutheran cathedral.

Congratulations to Patricia. But poor Patricia. I'm sure she wanted a quiet wedding. O, well. Just more people with cameras I guess since she's probably having her wedding filmed anyway. A keepsake.

If one compare Queen Silvia and Mary the language aspect

I just saw the re rum of the interview with Queen Silvia on SVT 1
She said that she started to learn Swedish a bit, very little the month before the wedding and then after the wedding she studied the Swedish language. She did not want to learn the language before, they dated 4 years, because that would look like she pushed it (a marriage).
And she said that January 1, 1977 she begun to speak Swedish, and told other to speak Swedish with her. the wedding took place in june 1976, untill 1977 people spoke german and english with her

I really loved her whole attire! She looks good when her hair is well-kept.
Mary is indeed improving a lot when it comes to dresses and her personality.
She is more cheerful compared to during her past years.

Mary does look really good now, doesn't she Paulette? I agree that she looks happier now that the engagement has been announced and I am really looking forward to the wedding!

from Hellomagazine.com

Mary Donaldson

Upon the announcement of her engagement to Danish Crown Prince Frederik, Australian-born marketing executive Mary Donaldson shared one of her early royal experiences – watching Lady Diana wed the Prince of Wales on TV in 1981. She admits she didn't necessarily see herself taking a similar trip down the aisle, however. "My biggest memory is of Diana walking up the red carpet with a very, very long train," she says "but I don't recall wishing that one day I would be a princess. I wanted to be a veterinarian."

Mary Elizabeth Donaldson was born on February 5, 1972, in Hobart, Tasmania, the youngest of Scottish-born maths professor John Donaldson and university secretary Henrietta Clark Donaldson's four children. The princess-to-be's parents had emigrated from Edinburgh to Australia in the early Sixties, becoming citizens of the country in 1975. (Mum Henrietta passed away in 1997, and John married author Susan Elizabeth Moody four years later.)

An avid athlete at Taroona High School, Mary was captain of the girls' hockey and swimming teams and very involved in equestrian pursuits. She continued her education at Hobart Matriculation College – where she scored a spot on the basketball team – before wrapping up her studies at the University of Tasmania, from which she graduated in 1994 with a Bachelors degree in Commerce and Law.

The fresh-faced young graduate dived into professional life, moving to Melbourne, where she accepted a position at an international advertising agency. Her career would eventually lead her into the world of public relations, and culminate in her last pre-royal post as a project consultant for Microsoft Business Solutions in Denmark.

Her life was to change forever when she met a sporty young man who introduced himself as "Fred" at a Sydney hotel pub in October 2000. They'd each arrived with a separate group of friends – the King of Spain's nephew, Bruno Gomez-Acebo, was the link between the two cliques – but by the end of the evening Mary and Frederik were deep in conversation, seeming to have eyes only for each other. "The first time we met, we shook hands," she recalled. "I didn't know he was the Prince of Denmark. Half an hour later someone came up to me and said, 'Do you know who these people are?'"

Over the next three years, the two were often seen together in both Australia and Denmark. "Frederik is one of those people who being around you makes you happy. His intelligence and kindness – and he's quite funny as well. We have a connection of the mind," says Mary. However, it wasn't until April 2003 that Queen Margrethe publicly acknowledged the relationship, fuelling rumours of a pending engagement. Six months later the palace announced a royal wedding would take place the following spring.

Despite having to fulfil a demanding series of requirements – she agreed to relinquish her Australian citizenship, convert from her Presbyterian faith to the Danish Lutheran Church, learn fluent Danish and agree to give up her rights to the couple's children in case of divorce – Mary is obviously tackling the challenge of her new role with aplomb. "Today is the first day of my new role," she said after appearing on the palace balcony as Frederik's fiancée for the first time. "It is something that will evolve over time and I have much to learn and experience."

Mary's grace, beauty and professionalism have apparently won over her new homeland, with one poll finding that 75 per cent of Danes believed she would make a good queen. "Wow! Isn't she wonderful?" exclaimed one Copenhagen newspaper. "She's fantastic. It will be no wonder if in the future Danish schoolgirls choose to mimic Mary in the mirror instead of Britney Spears."

it is really true!

I would be expecting her schedule to be more hectic especially that her wedding is 5 months from now. What I really love about Mary is that she is willing to accept changes. I know it's not only her but also other people. In the first place, she was not really my royal type because she did look snobbish and I didn't like the way she dresses but months later, she really improved. She is already cheerful and she dresses very nice. :rolleyes:

I would really congratulate her!! :flower:

I think that every year in the beginning of the year - there are 2 galas in Denmark do you think we will see Mary there

Originally posted by paulette@Dec 27th, 2003 - 2:18 pm
she was not really my royal type because she did look snobbish and I didn't like the way she dresses
I don't really have anything negative to say about Mary because I don't think she's done anything that would justify any criticism from me. But I agree that sometimes she looks snobbish/haughty. I think its just the way she looks, not that she means to be haughty or snobbish. Of course this is only my opinion.

But Princess Anne of GB also looks snobbish/cold to me, but from what I've read about her and how she supports many charities etc, I think it's more likely that Anne is a caring person. Looks doesn't always match the person's true personality. Like Charles looks meek/geekish.... who would have thought he would be the kind of person to cheat on his wife???

Originally posted by Josefine@Dec 30th, 2003 - 2:57 am
I think that every year in the beginning of the year - there are 2 galas in Denmark do you think we will see Mary there

Hello.
Yes ther are 2 galas her in denmark in the beginning of the new year but it´s only the royal family who are atending,so the answer to your question is : no Mary will not be atending the 2 galas beacus she are onley enggage to CP Frederik and she are not her in denmark becaus she is home in/on tasmania.

Originally posted by Josefine@Dec 30th, 2003 - 7:22 am
so frederik will be there?
so frederik will be there?

Yes CP Frederik will be ther becaus he´s the heir to the danish crown.
We will also se HM Queen Margrethe and HRH Prince Henrik.
I don´t know if Prince Joachim and Princesse Alexandra will be atending the 2 galas.

That's too bad that Mary won't be able to attend at least one of these galas. It would've been a nice way to start the new year -- off on a royal foot! But I guess she will have a lifetime of attending these royal galas, so she should savour some private (as private as her life can possibly be now) time and time with her family.

Originally posted by Alexandria@Dec 30th, 2003 - 9:53 am
That's too bad that Mary won't be able to attend at least one of these galas. It would've been a nice way to start the new year -- off on a royal foot! But I guess she will have a lifetime of attending these royal galas, so she should savour some private (as private as her life can possibly be now) time and time with her family.
Do you think her father and step-mother may relocate to the UK to be closer to Mary and possible grandchildren? You're right, she has a lifetime of New Year's galas to attend, but hopefully only one wedding of a sister.

That would be nice if her father and step-mother could relocate to be closer to Mary. In her position I would certainly appreciate such support. But I guess the argument could be made that as much as her father and step-mother may want to support her and help her in her new life they have their own life in Australia, with careers and friends.

Mary Donaldson Current Events: January 2004 - May 2004

Originally posted by Starr@Dec 31st, 2003 - 10:13 am
Do you think her father and step-mother may relocate to the UK to be closer to Mary and possible grandchildren?
From what I've read, Mary's dad and step-mum spend half of the year in the UK (because I think that's where Susan was based before) and half in Tassie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom