General News about the Danish Royal Family Part 2: January 2013 - November 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great to see the family together at Easter. Isabella looks beautiful and grown up in her coat and scarf!

is it common or usual practice for people to leave church early? I'm not a big church goer not do I live in Denmark but I've never known people to leave early.

I'm hardly the most active churchgoer myself, however going to the alter is optional and many leave at that time. - rather than sit and wait for perhaps 200 people each getting their oblate and wine.
I believe that is in line with the teaching of the Luheran church where the connection between you and God is personal and doesn't necessarily require a priest.
Perhaps FasterB can elaborate some more? :)

QMII is as you know a very devout Christian and I can imagine a service (especially at Easter) simply wouldn't feel right without the blood and flesh of Christ.
Frederik is also religious but in my impression on a much more private level. Not sure Prince Henrik is that religious and as for Mary that's difficult to say...
I think the case with Prince Henrik is that he is catholic. Yes, he converted to the lutheran upon marriage, but IMHO he´s catholic by heart. And catholics won´t share communion with protestants.

I think that Christian and Isabella left with dad and grandpapa, because communion can take a looooooong time Easter Sunday in Århus Cathedral (it´s a biiiiiiiiiiig cathedral). I don´t doubt that they can sit still to a normal sunday service, which takes about an hour :)

Thanks for the pics, I have not been on for a few days and missed when first posted.
Lovely to see all the family attend the Easter Service and of course it is always a pleasure to see Christian and Isabella they are such lovely children. Isabella looks adorable in her matching cap and scarf.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the case with Prince Henrik is that he is catholic. Yes, he converted to the lutheran upon marriage, but IMHO he´s catholic by heart. And catholics won´t share communion with protestants.

I may remember wrongly - but didn't Henrik say once in an interview years back that he is not a very religious person? - that his wife is far more religious than he is?

I may remember wrongly - but didn't Henrik say once in an interview years back that he is not a very religious person? - that his wife is far more religious than he is?
Yes, but still, I think the case is: Once catholic, always catholic :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #14, 2013.
Christian og Isabella var med i domkirken - Christian and Isabella also went to the cathedral.
Written by our clerical reporter Ken Richter.

M&F plus family did go to Trend for the Easter holiday. Before driving down to Marselisborg visiting the Regent Couple. Then taking the ferry home.

QMII took part in all the services during Easter, as usual. However on Easter Sunday (Monday is also a holy day in DK, called the Second Day of Easter) QMII was joined by her husband and M&F with Isabella and Christian. All dressed warmly as it was (and still is) still pretty cold.
The service, including communion lasts two hours, but after 45 minuttes Frederik and grandpapa Henrik left the cathedral with Bella and Christian. But QMII and Mary stayed on to the bitter end and left together in time for lunch at Marselisborg.

M&F and their now quite substancial family, if we also count nannies and PET officers did not live in Marselisborg Manor itself but in the Cavallier building. (*)

After lunch the Regent Couple went around 100 kilometres or so inland to the town of Herning to attend the town jubilee, while M&F took the ferry home.
Normally few even notice M&F when they go by ferry. It's prohibited to stay in the cars while the ferry is sailing, but there are rooms where M&F can stay in private onboard. However, this time the caralarm went off shortly after M&F had left and that attracted the attention of other passengers who were leaving their cars.

Prince Henrik was as always enjoying time with his friends while in Aarhus. Going to a local fittness club every forenoon. - However, judging from previous years the word excersize should perhaps be viewed somewhat liberally.... As PH put it: "I haven't lost weight, but my coach has".
While in Aarhus QMII also inaugurated a new granite bench that has been placed in the park of Marselisborg. I doubt she was sitting there very long but she might if and when we ever have summer.

(*) If you look at the plan in the Marselisborg thread, it's the building next to the road going from the main entrance to the manor. Here Frederik lived while he studied in Aarhus.

Last edited:
kongehuset.dk has an APP for iPhone & Android users.
Read more here

Was a date ever announced for the unveiling of the new portrait of the DRF? I was looking forward to seeing a portrait of the Queen surrounded by her children and grandchildren.

kongehuset.dk has an APP for iPhone & Android users.
Read more here
I downloaded the app but my understanding of the danish language is very limited. Is there a way to receive the app in English or instructions on how to translate? I appreciate any help you can provide.

I downloaded the app but my understanding of the danish language is very limited. Is there a way to receive the app in English or instructions on how to translate? I appreciate any help you can provide.

Sorry I don't. Maybe it wasn't made into English for now.

Not sure if this belongs here, but here we go.

Billed Bladet informs us that Frederik, Mary, Joachim and our Marie will go to Princess Madeleine's wedding
Benedikte will also be there, as she is godmorther of Madeleine.

The Regent Couple will this time stay at home and man the fort.

No DRF children are expected to go either. Unless the plans are altered Isabella will not be among the bridesmaids.

- It's nice that Marie for once can go to a royal wedding.

Last edited:
:previous:thats great news, if true:flowers:

Marie did go to the Monaco wedding so it wont be here first one. It will be nice to see all 4 together plus Benedikte

Marie did go to the Monaco wedding so it wont be here first one. It will be nice to see all 4 together plus Benedikte
Marie also attended the Greek royal wedding in 2010.

I guess we can put this here: Kongehuset risikerer at løbe tør for strøm - TV 2 Nyhederne

You may recall that Frederik a year or two ago opened one of the first recharging stations in a nationwide grid for electric cars run by a company called Better Place, which also produce and deliver cars.
You may also recall the discussion about Frederik arriving in a borrowed electric car.
The company has gone bankrupt and the grid is somewhat in a limbo, meaning that people at least for the time being are somewhat unsure about where and how to recharge or exchange batteries on their electric cars.
Fortunately Renault will, at least for the time being, take over the running of the grid.

The DRF does have an electric car. Krone 20. A royal blue Renault Fluenze Z.E. Which is used pendling between Amalienborg and Fredensborg. (That indicates that QMII is the user, because she is the only who pendles between these two places on a daily basis).
The head of the DRF economy, Søren Kruse, explains: "We'll wait to see what the curator finds out. I understand that Renault will take over the charging stations for the time being, so there is no reason for panic here yet.
We do after all have a couple of cars to choose from so it's worse for those Danes who only have the one electric car".

There are recharging stations at both Amalienborg and Fredensborg.

---

- Well, it's no surprise. Electric cars are still too expensive and you can't drive off the main routes in the confidence that you can be sure to recharge your car if need be and just as importantly you can't drive in neighboring countries without being absolutely sure you won't run out of power. With petrol or diesel you can be confident that there is a gasstation nearby.
Because Murphy's Law dictates that the only recharging station you can reach is out of order on that particular day you really need it.
But in five years when the grid is more extensive and electric cars have become more reliable then I might be interested in an electric car.

Last edited:
Let´s make it clear. The DRF can still use their Renault Fluence Z.E. They can still charge from their Better Place chargespot, and a little time yet they can use the batterychangestation.

I know that Clever is in the thinkingbox to make a solution to all the Better Place members :)

Are any Danish librarian students looking to get a foot in the door to Amalienborg? A position has been advertised on the Kongehuset website that totally sounds up my alley if a) I was Danish b) If I spoke Danish (at least) c) I was younger and didn't have 4 kids; and most importantly d) If I was currently studying Library and Information Science (which actually has always been a dream)

So eligible Danes...go for it!

Stillinger - Kongehuset

Here is an article in BT about the popularity of the DRF, as worked out by Gallup: Ny Gallup: Mary overstråler både Margrethe og Frederik - Royale | www.bt.dk
Gallup is a very reputable poling institute so we may conclude that their findings are trustworthy.

1.172 Danes from all over the country have been asked to judge the DRF as a whole and the individual members as well on a scale from 1-5.

Northern Jutlanders are most enthusiastic about the DRF. The approval rating here is 4.6. While Copenhageners give the lowest approval rating, 4.2.

Mary is the most popular individual member of the DRF, with a score of 4.4. While QMII and Frederik share a score of 4.3.

Our Marie is climbing up reaching a score of 3.5. With Joachim scoring 3.4 and Prince Henrik 3.1.

A couple of Jutlandic mayors have been asked why the DRF score higher there than in say Copenhagen, and they basically both say (which is true) that the further away from the capital you live, the more important the DRF and indeed national symbols become. Also because bumping into a member of the DRF in the street is hardly a novelty, so the DRF is more a part of the general scenery in Copenhagen.
- I presume that view is hardly different from other monarchies?

Last edited:
A new Gallup poll of the Danish royal family's popularity has been made ​​for B.T. :flowers:

The poll show that Mary is the most popular member of our royal family. (Not surprisingly, Mary has definitely won the hearts of Danes)

In a second place is Frederik and in third place is Margrethe. The second article says that Frederik and Margrethe share the second place. I don't know which article there is the correct one.

Prince Henrik has got the fewest votes.

It surprises me a bit that Henrik is lowest in the poll, but otherwise this poll just confirms mine thoughts.

Nordjydske: Nordjyder gladest for kongehuset | Nordjyske.dk
Translated: Google Oversæt

MetroXpress: http://www.mx.dk/nyheder/danmark/story/19471093
Translated: http://translate.google.com/transla....mx.dk/nyheder/danmark/story/19471093&act=url

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess we can put this unfortunate news here: Soldat ramt af kanon ved Kronborg - TV 2 Nyhederne
Hoffet: Prins Henrik dybt berørt af kanonulykke - TV 2 Nyhederne

Today is Prince Henrik's birthday and in connection with his birthday saluts were fired from Kronborg Castle. These cannons are from the mid 1700's and they are loaded with blanks, in the form of a gunpowder charge.

Today one of the cannons misfired, that happens often, and an artilleryman went to the cannon to either investigate or to clear the cannon. Unfortunately the charge went off, the artilleryman suffered burns to his legs, suggesting that he stood at the muzzle of the cannon, but worse he has also lost two or three fingers. The blast also blew him down from the ramparts and on top of the already mentioned injuries he suffered bruises. The 26 year old artilleryman from the Danish Artillery Regiment is now under treatment at a hospital.

Lene Balleby informs: "The Prince Consort has been informed about the accident.
The Prince Consort is deeply disturbed/moved by the accident and as such he will now stay informed about the condition of the soldier".

A policedog recovered the fingers of the soldiers, and we can only hope they may be able to reattach one or more of them.

As you can tell from this picture, it's quite a fall: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/503/6/6503143-kronborg.jpg

- I expect there will be more in the next couple of days.

Last edited:
:previous:what horrible news. :sad:
My best for the artilleryman

Oh dear, that's really sad news. The soldier's really lucky to have only suffered bruises from a fall from that height. Let's hope they can do something with his fingers - it's amazing what they can do these days.

they need to replace old cannons with modern and safe ones :(

Such sad news. I hope they will be able to fix his fingers. Thank god he wasn't killed.

A follow up on the story about the accident.
The soldier will lose his little and ring fingers, and half his middle finger.
He may also require a skin transplant for his burns. - Judging from footage I've seen I'd say it's his left hand, that has suffered.
Miracously he suffered no fractures and no internal injuries from his seven meter fall from the ramparts.

Excatly 20 years ago yesterday a similar accident occoured when two soldiers suffered burns from a charge going off prematurely at a salute in honour of Prince Henrik. Back then it was a 155 mm howitzer. (*)

(*) A howitzer is of course a modern breach loader, but apparantly the cannon hadn't been cooled properly inbetween shots and the charge (gun propellant) went off prematurely during loading.
The cannons at Kronborg use blackpowder, one kilo to be exact, as the older bronze cannons there are not designed to handle modern gun propellant. That is also why the cannons at Kronborg develope so much smoke.
FYI: The pieces at Holmen, the naval yard, where there are also traditional salutes, use blank shells, and they are safer than both blackpowder and gun propellant.

Last edited:
And now for something inevitable albeit less pleasant: Dronningens grav snart klar - TV 2 Nyhederne

The final preparations for the tomb inside Roskilde Cathedral where the Regent Couple will be laid to rest have begun.

The floor has been removed and archeologists have begun digging in the ground to learn what might be there, before the ground is cleared so that the Regent Couple can be buried there.
A David Høyer explains: "Now we have reached the stage where we have make an archeological excavation prior to establishing the future tomb and a crypt.
The chapel was build in the latter half of the 1400's on a part of the yard belonging to the cathedral, which before then was a cemetary, so the archeologists will no doubt find graves. - But we also hope to find the remains of the monastery, which belonged to the original cathedral, which was build around 1080.

---

For the past several hundred years Danish monarchs have been buried inside Roskilde Cathedral. However Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid was buried outside, but QMII has for whatever reason opted not to be buried with her parents.

Perhaps our resident clerical expert FasterB has a few words to add? :)

Denmark's special 20 korner coin was issued on May 2004. 1 side has H.M. Margrethe II Queen of Denamrk. The other side HRH Crown Prince Frederik and now Crown Princess Mary has been added. Can anyone explain the coin? Is it rare is regularly used in money exchanges?

http://i43.tinypic.com/k2cxfp.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/m9p1rk.jpg

Yes, here is what the National Mint has to say: Nationalbanken // Sedler og Mønter // Web dokument // H.K.H. Kronprins Frederik og frk. Mary Donaldsons bryllup

The coins were issued to commemorate M&F's wedding as you say.
There were two sorts of coins, a regular 20 DKK coin, which is of course valid as payment. 1.2 million of these were made.

And a collectors item, a 200 DKK coin with the same motif. 125.000 of these were made.

Last edited:
In BB #26, we are informed that while Benedikte and Mary will attend the World Equestrian Festival CHIO in Achen next week, they will also be at a big party in the evening and here Roger Moore will present a check for charity and the winner of the European Song Contest, Emmelie (*), will perform and greet Mary and Benedikte.

During CHIO, Mary and Benedikte will visit "the Danish Village", which is a part of the cultural offensive, Experience Denmark. Here Danish organisations and businesses are represented.

(*) She comes from a very small town, Mariager, basically down the road from where my in-laws live and as such they know both Emmelie and her family. Emmelie has not always looked so presentable as she does now. She has had her "punker-period", if you can call it that. In a town the size of Mariager, which consists of little more than a barn and two outhouses, that is noted... :lol: But her talent is undisputed.

Last edited:
Trine Villemann has made an appearance again. This time in the serious newspaper Politiken, where she has written about the DRF. This time calling for QMII to abdicate due to her poor health...
Unusually, the court has this time refuted Trine Villemann's claims in a very direct and undiplomatic manner!!

Er Dronningen for syg til at passe sine pligter? - Royale | www.bt.dk

I haven't got access to the actual newspaper, (being a Copenhagener newspaper the local shops don't even sell it over here in Jutland).

Anyway, it's no secret that QMII has back problems, suffering as she is from Spinalstenosis.

Trine Villemann writes: "The truth is that Her Majesty Queen Margrethe the Second of Denmark is too ill to do her duty/job. Amalienborg is flipping backwards in attempting to hide that the Queen is so plagued by arthritis that it over time has become impossible for her to perform her official duties.
What other company in Denmark - private as well as public - can get away with having a leader, who by now can neither stand nor walk without very strong medication?
And who several times for health reasons have cancelled the important statevisits, which are said to benefit the export, because our crowned head is there to smile and toast?
My quesition is, how much pain relieving medication a Queen can take before before the mental capabillities are no longer intact. Will a Queen on heavy pain relieving medication for example understand the laws that are presented for her to sign"?

For once the court responds and Lene Balleby says: "What nonsense. Her Majesty the Queen does indeed have a poor back with the good and bad periods that entails. The Queen has recieved medical treatment, there is nothing new in that. But the Queen has not cancelled a single one of her official duties with the exception of the planned state visit to Chile, where the doctors advised her from travelling only because of the long flight, which at that time could be particularly strenous for the back".

- Well... I shall refrain from commenting. I don't think that's necessary...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom