General News about the Danish Royal Family 1: December 2008 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read about that Lilla, and thought "And so the circus begins." I'm all for gender equality, but to the extent that a reigning Queen's husband is a Prince (Consort) and the first male in the land. Giving the title of King to a reigning Queen's husband would create a large amount of confusion, as King is the title above Queen.

Another article, I think on JP.dk, I read said that it would never happen though.

I agree.. As much as I would want equality among royal houses, the granting of the title King to the Prince Consort will only create confusion. For us royal watchers, we may know the difference or perhaps understand why a particular Prince Consort is given the title of King, however, when you try to explain it to other non-royal followers it will only create confusion. Majority of the people on earth know that the King is higher than the Queen. If Henrik will be King how on earth can you explain to that person that even if he is King, his wife the Queen is the true sovereign and monarch. I think it will be unfair to the sovereign Queens and the future Queens. I think it would be better to stay at that tradition.

There are several politicians in the Danish parliament who are calling for the royal family to adopt a more eco-friendly lifestyle, according to this article:
Ekstra Bladet - Flertal: Kongehuset forsømmer klimaet

They say that there should be solar panels on the rooftop of Amalienborg, et al, and that the royals should be using hybrid cars. They point out that the royals high-profile, and this would be a good opportunity to serve as role models by promoting a greener lifestyle.

There are several politicians in the Danish parliament who are calling for the royal family to adopt a more eco-friendly lifestyle, according to this article:
Ekstra Bladet - Flertal: Kongehuset forsømmer klimaet

They say that there should be solar panels on the rooftop of Amalienborg, et al, and that the royals should be using hybrid cars. They point out that the royals high-profile, and this would be a good opportunity to serve as role models by promoting a greener lifestyle.

I think it will gradually happen, the hybird cars arent a bad idea at all but I think the politicians who are calling for it should start before on calling for the royal family to do so (if they arent already). Thanks for the article.

I think it will gradually happen, the hybird cars arent a bad idea at all but I think the politicians who are calling for it should start before on calling for the royal family to do so (if they arent already). Thanks for the article.

Yes, maybe they are already.
The thing is...one of Frederik´s key fields (one of the few) is the climate change, but at the same time his lifestyle is everything but climate friendly.
If I´d be him, I´d either adopt a more "green" lifestyle or would not deal so much with climate changes.
Then again...the Danes are the Danes ;)

It appears that the DRF have already received the message about going green:
sn.dk - Sjællands Nyheder - Lokal - Fredensborg

There is a plan to construct a 750 square metre solar panel for Fredensborg Slot, in order to provide solar energy for the castle. The construction hasn't yet begun, because the Fredensborg Kommunes Plan and Property Agency have decided to wait until the builders receive the proper permits. Their goal is to create a dialogue with the neighbours, so as not to cause any inconvenience to them.

Alex, do you have a link to read the Politiken article?

Last edited:
Is there a reason they're increasing the DRF's salary?

If Prince Fredrik and Princess Mary get about 3.5 million dollars a year I wonder what they are expected to pay for besides their own wardrobes and vacations etc... Do you think they pay for their own staff and security out of this money?

i think they paid their own staff but i am not sure aobut security!????????

This is strange, I do not know exactly the impact of the economic crisis in Denmark, but isn't that so smart to raise the royal budget?

One questions (as before):
why they decide to give the RF and not only extra money - something official?

One questions (as before):
why they decide to give the RF and not only extra money - something official?

to add here: why does mostly the crown princely couple benefit from this budget raise? Is it because of the restauration of their future home? I am just wondering.

If Prince Fredrik and Princess Mary get about 3.5 million dollars a year I wonder what they are expected to pay for besides their own wardrobes and vacations etc... Do you think they pay for their own staff and security out of this money?
The couple's website in English: TRH The Crown Prince Couple - Annual Allowance - they pay for their own employees and internal maintainance of the palaces and buildings which are at their disposal. I believe that salaries make up the bulk of both the CP couple's and the queen's allowance.

Last edited:
I know some of this is just a raise because of inflation and time. It seems strange that HM cousin would get one though - does he do many engagements?

Royal Examiner Article - Danish Royals get a pay raise

I'm sure people will interpret this based on how they see the family. The monarchists will have no problem with it and those who don't like the monarchy won't.

Even if people react badly, things like this tend to pass quickly.

I know some of this is just a raise because of inflation and time. It seems strange that HM cousin would get one though - does he do many engagements?
Prince Ingolf is not much in the public eye; his allowance from the state is more by way of a sort of 'compensation' because he did not become king of Denmark after the change in the law of succession when Margrethe was 13.

Aren't they pictures of Marie's 10 hairstyles?
:)

kjoler is Danish for dresses. :) The article says, See Princess Marie's 10 most beautiful dresses.

Last edited:
BB has an article on QM's and Alexandra's relationship and how the Queen greeted Alexandra and her husband warmly at an official event they had attended with the Queen.
English translated ** Originally Article

Dazzling, for me anyway I'm afraid the English link doesn't work, so I've tried and hopefully this one does Google Translate ;)

Thanks for the link to the original article and info anyway:flowers:!

Royal Danish Official Pictures of 2009

New Royal Pictures.. I just looked up Princess Mary because until now I had no idea who she was. They are SOOOO stylish! I LOVE the gowns and crowns they wear. Apparently they have put out new pictures on their Official Site. I can't read Danish so.. I hope it's ok if I post the pictures here.

The Danish Royal Family has released new official portraits for 2009. The following seven photos are posted on the website of the Danish Monarchy:

• Group portrait of Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie (photographer: Martin Mydtskov Rønne)
  • Solo of Crown Prince Frederik, wearing official military dress (photographer: Steen Evald)
  • Solo of Crown Princess Mary, seated, in a blue gown (photographer: Steen Evald)
  • Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary (photo above; photographer: Steen Evald)
  • Solo portrait of Prince Joachim, in official military dress (photographer: Steen Brogaard)
  • Solo of Princess Marie, in a dark blue gown (photographer: Steen Brogaard)
  • Prince Joachim and Princess Marie (photographer: Steen Brogaard)
Princess Marie, who is pregnant, is already showing her baby bump. The photos were taken in Amalienborg Palace in January 2009.

Info from Merry Royals Blog and Official Site of the Danish Monarchy

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, these are amazing photos of the Danish Royal Family. I am not too fond of CP Mary's hair, the side part is too deep, and it sweeps too far down on her lovely face, IMHO. Was P Marie pregnant in these photos? She is so much thinner right now. CP Frederik looks very, very handsome!

Yes Patra Marie was pregnant in those piccies. I like the group pic the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom