General News about the Danish Royal Family 1: December 2008 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the Danish and British RFs are actually in quite close contact. Just because there aren't many 'official' meetings doesn't mean that they are not in contact. I remember seeing Queen Margarethe on the BP balcony at a Remembrance Day ceremony a few years ago. I also know that she was over at Balmoral Castle for a private visit some years ago. They are fairly closely related (? 3rd cousins), so I think they probably communicate quite amicably about such family matters.

It is true that following the First World War the 'Windsors' withdrew from contact with most Continental Royals - there was even a big problem with Prince Philip's 4 sisters all being married to German princes, and none were invited to his wedding in 1947. The Queen herself is never seen holidaying abroad, although she has attended many important birthday and other celebrations of fellow senior European RFs. She is also particularly close with the former Greek monarchs (and Queen Anne is a sister of Queen Margarethe), who have largely lived in London since they were deposed.

As to the protocol of bowing/curtseying to those higher up the social scale - this is so much inbred in all RF members that I don't for a moment think it causes them any problem. Only if you are the Monarch do you not have to stop and think, because you know that every one is either your equal or your inferior!!

Wasn't there also a group-photo of all the Monarchs with QEII for her birthday?

As to the protocol of bowing/curtseying to those higher up the social scale - this is so much inbred in all RF members that I don't for a moment think it causes them any problem. Only if you are the Monarch do you not have to stop and think, because you know that every one is either your equal or your inferior!!

I don't know. Queen Victoria was raised to Empress (of India) because her daughter, married to the German Crown Prince, would soon become Empress herself. And the British didn't want Victoria to be "subordinary" to her own daughter.

Duke of Marmalade - thanks for posting that picture - I really like it!

Duke of Marmalade, that's a wonderful picture, and one I'd never seen before. Thanks for posting it!

I imagine the royals themselves consider this issue differently than it's been sometimes portrayed on this board. The European royal houses would have been invited to the wedding because that's the way things are done, period. Whoever shows up from each of the families, shows up. I doubt William and Catherine, or any of their staff, are expending any sort of mental energy worrying about whether it's Mary and Frederik or Joachim or Queen Margrethe; as long as they're given enough notice so they can arrange the seating in the abbey I think they'll be happy. Similarly I also doubt that the Danes, for example, are spending much time thinking, "well, so and so came to our wedding but then we sent X to Y in London a couple of years ago and QEII never goes to weddings and who do those Brits think they are anyway - let's send Prince Henrik Jr, he's way down at the bottom of the succession list, that'll show them! Bonus points if he throws a tantrum during the ceremony!"

Similarly I also doubt that the Danes, for example, are spending much time thinking, "well, so and so came to our wedding but then we sent X to Y in London a couple of years ago and QEII never goes to weddings and who do those Brits think they are anyway - let's send Prince Henrik Jr, he's way down at the bottom of the succession list, that'll show them! Bonus points if he throws a tantrum during the ceremony!"

Ah.. this is where you may be wrong! You're correct in so far that no Danes are losing any sleep over it! However for royalty watchers it's a different story, and for royalty watchers contributing to a royalty forum, there's really something to discuss ;)! It certainly wasn't lost on any Danes watching, that the BRF sent egg no. 4 to Danish egg no. 1's wedding! The Pow had been attending CPly weddings before and after May 14th 2004, but on that particular day he chose to be on Mount Athos! Snub, anyone?

Viv

Queen Margareh is close to prince charles. She goes hunting many times at sandringham. Once I read in the Telegraph she was obliged to cut short the week-end of hunting in sandringham because of her recurrent problems with her back and she was send back to denmark with sciatic. The article states she and husband henrik were regular attenders in sandringham for hunting. Did someone hear this particular story a few years ago?

Ah.. this is where you may be wrong! You're correct in so far that no Danes are losing any sleep over it! However for royalty watchers it's a different story, and for royalty watchers contributing to a royalty forum, there's really something to discuss ;)! It certainly wasn't lost on any Danes watching, that the BRF sent egg no. 4 to Danish egg no. 1's wedding! The Pow had been attending CPly weddings before and after May 14th 2004, but on that particular day he chose to be on Mount Athos! Snub, anyone?

Viv

Absolutely! :lol:
This is something the magazines and tabloids, and reporters (during their hourlong coverages of royal events where nothing is happening most of the time) can boil a lot of soup on. - It will come up at some point during the TV-coverage of the baptism in April, oh yes.
It's also a sure topic to come up with if you want to stir the pot a bit at a coffee-get-together. :D - I know, I've done it myself and got a warning-glance from Mrs. Muhler. :p

Last edited:
I'm sure for Mary they could have reschedueled. Princes Charles future King of Australia, against Princess Mary who's just a woman who was born their and will reign over Denmark.
Not silly in my mind, Mary must have had a hand in choosing the date, it must have had to fit with her calender and the baby. This is my own opinion.
As others have pointed out Mary did not have a baby at that time and she will never reign over Denmark.
No. Charles, who probably will reign one day, must have had a hand in choosing his dates. He chose to be absent at the Danish wedding and to be present in Australia during the official Danish visit. (Plus he is world notorious for his bad decisions/behaviour.)
If you insist that meanness was involved then I would say it came 100% from Charles' side. :whistling: :flowers:

We have differing opinions on the matter. Agree to disagree perhaps? :flowers:

nwinther said:
Just adding fuel to a fire: By sending the Regent Couple you force W&C to recognize the seniority (in rank) of the guest (i.e. they'll have to bow/courtsy to the Queen and Prince consort as Royal HoS, whereas they won't have to if it's just J&M. Someone could find pleasure in that).

As to who is invited/who is going, I think the invitations extended are rather open. It would be an insult to invite, say, J&M directly and not the Queen herself. So it's surely an invitation with an RSVP that has the effect "You can send two - pleas inform us who it'll be".

Perhaps there is some coordination in that European forum (forgot the name) where the court administratives meet to coordinate and exchange views and experiences on royal matters.

Regent couples were present at many continental weddings e.g. Victoria of Sweden and the bowing/curtseying didn't seem to be a problem

Halfdane, IMO all top rank weddings are an opportunity to keep 'the people' happy, it's the stuff dreams are made of! However if the royal party of the couple counts among 'lesser royalty', the RF will usually keep it discreet and low key in order to avoid criticism of costs and relevance etc. Maybe Zara Philips will be allowed a more prominent wedding, because she's also a top drawer athlete??
As for the W & C wedding: IMO a certain measure of ambivalence is to be expected because of the times; the couple would be foolish not to signal some restraint, however I for one don't expect to see much restraint on the day!

One thing is certain: CP Pavlos will not be the official representative for Greece. The Greek government would be livid! IMO he'll count among 'friends of the family' IF he has been invited.

They never do, that's why the likes of you and me are speculating like mad :p!

Viv

Our thinking is very similar here, Viv. My point was simply that the monarchy of the Commonwealth is losing its relevance and the guest list for the wedding seems to be speaking volumes to this. I personally believe this monarchy on its way out. I think William and Kate would have been wise to have insisted on an official royal affair rather than low-key where personal friends out number nobles and royalty.
As for Zara Philips having a grander affair, I absolutely disagree. But then again, I never understand some of the decisions that come out of the BRF. Time will tell.
Regardless of who does or doesn't show up, I am looking forward to the wedding as it seems William has indeed found his Ms. Right and I for one am very happy for them. I would be shocked if CP Fred and CP Mary attended.

Regent couples were present at many continental weddings e.g. Victoria of Sweden and the bowing/curtseying didn't seem to be a problem

It's not that it's a general problem. But QE2 have a tendency only to participate in events where she is the center of attantion - why she is rarely (if ever) seen at continental houses weddings. What's so important that the queen herself can't go?

This tendency could trickle down the system, so the BRF would prefer to fill the seats with junior royals from outside, so as to avoid havine the eventual King bow to foreign heads.

nwinther; said:
What's so important that the queen herself can't go?

Officially? 60 millions Brits and the Commonwealth!

Just for the record: Today Billed-Bladet claims that 'apparently' only the Queen (ours!) and the Prince Consort are invited
to London. This piece of information does not originate at the royal court and the journalist is making reservations!
Viv

Last edited:
I imagine the royals themselves consider this issue differently than it's been sometimes portrayed on this board. The European royal houses would have been invited to the wedding because that's the way things are done, period. Whoever shows up from each of the families, shows up. I doubt William and Catherine, or any of their staff, are expending any sort of mental energy worrying about whether it's Mary and Frederik or Joachim or Queen Margrethe; as long as they're given enough notice so they can arrange the seating in the abbey I think they'll be happy. Similarly I also doubt that the Danes, for example, are spending much time thinking, "well, so and so came to our wedding but then we sent X to Y in London a couple of years ago and QEII never goes to weddings and who do those Brits think they are anyway - let's send Prince Henrik Jr, he's way down at the bottom of the succession list, that'll show them! Bonus points if he throws a tantrum during the ceremony!"

Your post made me laugh; however, I do think some of these invitations (or lack of invitations) convey a subtle message! Despite all the spin, I think it was a deliberate snub for Sarah Ferguson. Same with the Obamas; no mater how much the spin doctors scream "It's not a state occasion!" others will get it- the Obamas are not so warm and cozy with the BRF as some of their predecessors and are not wanted there! ;)

As for other royals, I believe a general invitation was sent (probably directly to Queen Margrethe) and she, and only she, will decide who actually attends!
It isn't impossible that she'll go herself; after all, she likes London and visits every year.

I see we are still speculating about the Obamas---we have just moved over to the Danish forums. I think the example of the Queen hunting with Prince Charles (many times that have not been publicized) is an example that unlike Big Brother....we don't know what goes with certain public figures 24/7.

I think Frederick and Mary or Joachim and Marie will represent the DRF.

The Queen did attend Charles's wedding to Diana.

Last edited:
I think Frederick and Mary or Joachim and Marie will represent the DRF.

If Frederick goes, is it likely he will wear a military uniform?
(The dress code calls for a military uniform, morning dress, or lounge suit).

"It's not a state occasion!" others will get it- the Obamas are not so warm and cozy with the BRF as some of their predecessors and are not wanted there! ;)

Who cares if they're not, though - is that a bad thing? There are two reasons the American president and his wife would be invited to the wedding: first in their official capacity if it was a state event, which it's not, so that's out. Second if they had a personal relationship with William and Kate or were family friends - they don't and they're not so that's out, too.

In terms of which Danes show up at the wedding, I'm thinking Frederik and Mary will be the ones to go.

Your post made me laugh; however, I do think some of these invitations (or lack of invitations) convey a subtle message! Despite all the spin, I think it was a deliberate snub for Sarah Ferguson. Same with the Obamas; no mater how much the spin doctors scream "It's not a state occasion!" others will get it- the Obamas are not so warm and cozy with the BRF as some of their predecessors and are not wanted there! ;)

And yet, they are invited for a state visit a month later. QEII sure must hate them, in comparison to all the other world leaders she hasn't invited to the wedding.

So, am I understanding from this Billed-Bladet article that only QM and Henrik are attending William and Kate's wedding?

Billed-Bladet - Margrethe og Henrik skal til bryllup

And yet, they are invited for a state visit a month later. QEII sure must hate them, in comparison to all the other world leaders she hasn't invited to the wedding.

Exactly! A state visit...a business trip! :whistling:

The BBC confirms what I said: Fred and mary want to attend. More accurately, Mary wants to attend - my word the dresses, the jewels, the BRF. She can find out how a well managed, grand dynasty operates for lessons to take home.

I read yesterday that the Queen and Prince Consort of Denmark have been invited to William's wedding, but there was no official confirmation from Clarence House.
I have to repeat, President Obama and the First Lady were NOT snubbed as Heads of State are being invited to the Royal Wedding. Sarkozy and his wife were not invited nor the Russian President.
I've pasted the info released from the Prince of Wales site concerning the invitations and it may clear up some things.:flowers:

The Prince of Wales - Wedding invitations - The wedding of HRH Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton

rob2008 said:
The BBC confirms what I said: Fred and mary want to attend. More accurately, Mary wants to attend - my word the dresses, the jewels, the BRF. She can find out how a well managed, grand dynasty operates for lessons to take home.

Did someone ask them outright whether they want to attend? They're hardly going to say 'no' in that case.

The Danish Court has confirmed nothing yet nor did the Danish media write anything about it, so how can BBC confirm Mary&Frederik want to attend?

A "well managed" and "grand dynasty" which has perhaps had some of the worst PR than any European monarchy...lol.

Somehow I don't think Europes royal houses, least of all Denmark, are in need of being taught how to undertake their respective duties.

And until the guest list is made known, or the wedding arrives, it's pointless trying to guess.

Last edited:
Rob2008 clearly has unsorted personal issues that he/she finds it relevant to air at every perceived opportunity. Yawn.....

Well now I know where a certain "know-it-all" heard that Mary wanted to attend and wrote it on Huffington Post.:whistling:

Last edited:
Well now I know where a certain "know-it-all" heard that Mary wanted to attend and wrote it on Huffington Post.:whistling:

You put my curiosity running, "...know-it-all", what are you talking about?, or are you talking about who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom