General News about the Danish Royal Family 1: December 2008 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I hope your hunch is right!

Time will show, but I could be wrong to begin with! :)!

Danish tabloid BT has embarked on the speculation as well: A headline for today is: 'The regent couple certain to get invitation'. It turns out that a former royalty reporter is speculating as much as we are ;); she's even convinced that
Frederik and Mary will join Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik in the vip queue at Westminster Abbey!
Another source, a historian is quoted for saying that while he's convinced there'll be Danish RF representatives at the
wedding, he's not so certain that the crown princely couple will be invited (as well.)
Lars Hovbakke Sørensen PhD, seems to be better informed about the ways of the BRF than other Danish royalty experts:
he states that because of the former empire and the Commonwealth the BRF don't issue wedding invitations with the same logic as , say the Scandinavian royal houses.

Thie latter is not exactly news to most members of this forum! But it's news to the many Danes who've got no knowledge
of how the Windsors normally interact with foreign royalty.

Viv

Last edited:
I have a 'unscientific' hunch that the crown princely couples are going, they would match the importance of the event with an added touch of glory.

I don't see Joachim and Marie going, though IMO they'd be the logical choice if you consider the representation extended by the BRF to Danish royal events in recent years. I for one would like to see them in the abbey, but I have a feeling that the opportunity is too good and too exceptional to miss for the crown princely couple!

We probably won't know till April 29th!

Viv

I have to agree; in fact, I think anyone who's invited will want to go!

It's true that William doesn't seem to have cultivated many friendships with the European royals, but then, he is young and might do so in the future. I hope he does.

I also agree with the person who said that, while many people are not aware of other royals, just about everyone is aware of the British! (If they are not, they will be after this wedding).

It's true that information is readily available through the internet, but unless you are already interested, you probably wouldn't bother to seek it out. I am the only person among my acquaintance who is knowledgeable about European royalty, but in the USA, everyone knows British royalty.

(A note- my husband was once challenged by a Norwegian to name the king of his country; thanks to me, he could do it! The challenger was astonished; he said he had never before met an American who could do it). :lol:

I also agree with the person who said that, while many people are not aware of other royals, just about everyone is aware of the British! (If they are not, they will be after this wedding).

Yep, that's correct, but I've also heard that not every American in interested in the British royal family:) !??!!
There's no doubt that from an international vantage point the British royal family is in a class of it's own; maybe - but only maybe followed by the Spanish RF in second place.

IMO what is difficult for us from a small monarchy like ours is that our royal family is 'world famous' in Denmark and in the neighbouring countries. We have -mostly - a deferential press which is hyping our RF non-stop, telling us how important they are for the Danish 'brand' and the export. However the fact is that they're relatively unknown beyond our closest neighbours! My experience is that you need go no further than the UK to ascertain, that very few people have ever heard of the Danish royal family. This makes the fact that several TRF-members from the UK and the US have a sound knowledge of my royal family even more impressive! :flowers:

Viv

Yep, that's correct, but I've also heard that not every American in interested in the British royal family:) !??!!

Viv

So they say! But wait and see, when it comes time, they'll be watching the television coverage anyway (just so they can yell "Who cares!" on the internet). :ROFLMAO:

Viv said:
There's no doubt that from an international vantage point the British royal family is in a class of it's own; maybe - but only maybe followed by the Spanish RF in second place.

IMO what is difficult for us from a small monarchy like ours is that our royal family is 'world famous' in Denmark and in the neighbouring countries. We have -mostly - a deferential press which is hyping our RF non-stop, telling us how important they are for the Danish 'brand' and the export. However the fact is that they're relatively unknown beyond our closest neighbours! My experience is that you need go no further than the UK to ascertain, that very few people have ever heard of the Danish royal family. This makes the fact that several TRF-members from the UK and the US have a sound knowledge of my royal family even more impressive! :flowers:

Viv

I am Canadian and I recall the first time hearing about the DRF was only because years ago Prince Charles and CP Mary were in Australia around the same time or within days/weeks of each other and the press was talking about how Mary drew larger crowds than Charles. Mary drawing bigger crowds than Charles - and in her own country??? Shocking!!! :rotfl: silly press!!

I think in general most royal houses are not known outside their respective countries sphere of influence is because everyone kinda sticks to their own "clique" IMO. I mean, the DRF has never had any kind of visit to Canada IIRC, but then again Canada doesn't have any kind of relations to speak of with Denmark. But if Canada had a close relations with Denmark, we would hear loads about the DRF (plus have visits!!!!!!) :)

FYI- the 2 national 24h news channels did carry a short blurb about the twins birth and showed Mary and Frederik leaving the hospital with Elvis and Shirley. I think the networks found royal twins newsworthy!! :)

It's been interesting to read the responses and speculations.

I believe the DRF will be represented by one couple, which one will be the question.

I believe Viv put it well when she said that the BRF followed by the Spanish royals are the best known.
I will however point out a few things. Yep, I'm the spoilsport. :p

The world is changing, the main information stream nowadays for many people don't just originate from English/American news sources, - which understandable focus a lot on the BRF.
My point is: Take a random selection of people in their twenties from every country and show them pictures of Queen Elizabeth and Diana. I'd say most who are just reasonably well informed will be able to ID them, because they are and were iconic figures of their time.
Now, show the same people a picture of William. How many will be able to ID him? The most well informed will no doubt know who he is, but the reasonably well informed? - Keep in mind that many will not even be able to name the top ten royals in their own countries!

That's why the media hype of "wedding of the century" and this being a giga-normous event make me step back and say: "Hey, spis brød til = cool it". :whistling:
I don't think it will be compared to the Diana & Charles wedding, where most who lived back then will off hand be able to say what year and only be off by a maximum of ten years plus/minus.
I'm not sure we'll (i.e. the human race) look back in the future and say the 2010's? Oh yeah, that's when William and Kate got married.

On the other hand the Net will now give those who are interested in royalty everywhere, even someone living in a cave in Outer Mongolia and who is interested, a chance to know all the details.

But to return to the attendance of the DRF. My guess is on Mary and Frederik. That will be such a short event that they can take part without being separated from the twins for too long. And should they be unable due to considerations to the twins or whatever, Joachim and Marie will come in second.
As some of you pointed out, this is not a CP-wedding, so at present I don't think the Regent Couple will attend.

I am Canadian and I recall the first time hearing about the DRF was only because years ago Prince Charles and CP Mary were in Australia around the same time or within days/weeks of each other and the press was talking about how Mary drew larger crowds than Charles. Mary drawing bigger crowds than Charles - and in her own country??? Shocking!!! :rotfl: silly press!!:)

Charles asked for it;); it was bad timing from Clarence House! It should have been a no-brainer that a newly wed Aussie-born princess would attract a big crowd on her first trip back home!

I I think in general most royal houses are not known outside their respective countries sphere of influence is because everyone kinda sticks to their own "clique" IMO. I mean, the DRF has never had any kind of visit to Canada IIRC, but then again Canada doesn't have any kind of relations to speak of with Denmark. But if Canada had a close relations with Denmark, we would hear loads about the DRF (plus have visits!!!!!!) :)

Let me ask: Would the Canadians show interest in other RFs than their own? As far as I know you're very loyal to the Windsors and as such the jewel in the Commonwealth crown these days!
BTW I think remember reading something about the Norwegian RF visiting, but I don't know much about it. I don't see what should stop the the Danish RF could from visiting Canada on a more unofficial basis, there are several Danish communities in Western Canada.

Viv

My point is: Take a random selection of people in their twenties from every country and show them pictures of Queen Elizabeth and Diana. I'd say most who are just reasonably well informed will be able to ID them, because they are and were iconic figures of their time. Now, show the same people a picture of William. How many will be able to ID him? The most well informed will no doubt know who he is, but the reasonably well informed? .

Muhler, even the reasonably well informed might know that William is Diana's son! We shouldn't underestimate the Diana-effect!

That's why the media hype of "wedding of the century" and this being a giga-normous event make me step back and say: "Hey, spis brød til = cool it". :whistling: ....
I get your point:flowers:, but look at it this way: If you were the royal spindoctor at Clarence House and wanted to boost the national pride, I think that you would find that William's wedding is your best bet! In the foreseeable future the only alternatives would be the weddings of Harry and the 'nieces'! Then there's the 60th anniversary of QE2, but that's a different story!

Viv

That's why the media hype of "wedding of the century" and this being a giga-normous event make me step back and say: "Hey, spis brød til = cool it". :whistling:

I don't believe the hype is coming from BP or CH, the hype is coming from the media. I don't, for a second, believe that BP would like to have the wedding billed at the "wedding of the century". If anything, they are trying to ensure the wedding is seen as relatively low key (in line with the mood in the kingdom), yet reflecting the position of the groom.

Muhler, even the reasonably well informed might know that William is Diana's son! We shouldn't underestimate the Diana-effect!

No we shouldn't. But what I'm saying is that the sources of information has changed. 25 years ago, when Diana was still around, the main information sources were papers and TV-news. - Not anymore. Where do you go if you want more info on something? The Net.
People have become much more selective about where they obtain their info. (Unfortunately that's not always the best thing to do). I'd say many go through their lives at present rarely opening a paper, rarely getting info from anything else but their favourite news sources, which may be biased, selective or erronous. Many deselect entire segments of news, for various reasons. An option people didn't have 25 years ago.
These people may with justification be labbled "reasonably well informed", but know very little about the BRF, or for that matter Britain.

I get your point:flowers:, but look at it this way: If you were the royal spindoctor at Clarence House and wanted to boost the national pride, I think that you would find that William's wedding is your best bet! In the foreseeable future the only alternatives would be the weddings of Harry and the 'nieces'! Then there's the 60th anniversary of QE2, but that's a different story!

Viv

Absolutely, it would be foolish of them if they didn't try to capitalize on this wedding. A good looking, nice, likable, unblemished couple, who on top of that are royals, what is there not to love for a spindoctor? :p
I fully expect the "horn orchestra" to play at full throttle and that's why I wonder why on earth they don't invite more royals and add even more glamour.

Last edited:
I don't believe the hype is coming from BP or CH, the hype is coming from the media. I don't, for a second, believe that BP would like to have the wedding billed at the "wedding of the century". If anything, they are trying to ensure the wedding is seen as relatively low key (in line with the mood in the kingdom), yet reflecting the position of the groom.

I agree. The culprits here are the media, - and spindoctors as well, perhaps.

It's just the more this is blown up, the more the chance it that it will backfire. And for me, living in another very old monarchy, the reaction is: "Eh, hey, hey - there are other monarchies around, you know". :whistling:

Fred and Mary were in Canada for the Olympics ;)

That explains Isabella's mittens!!!! :p. I know that Frederik is an IOC member - was he a member during the Vancouver games?. I hope they enjoyed their time here. Must have been nice for them to be able to walk around anonymously like any other couple as I'm pretty sure there weren't any royal watchers at the olympics!!

Viv
You raise an intersting point. Yes, we're loyal to the RF, and with the impending visit of the newly weds this summer, I guess you could say we are indeed the jewel in the commonwealth crown! :blush:. However, we Canadians are a friendly, welcoming bunch and I would like to think that if there was an official visit by a member of another royal house that we would do our royal visitors justice. I'd hope there would be a nice turnout of crowds to see them!!:flowers:. Let's put out some invites and find out!!:D

Where I live in Alberta, there is actually a very strong Norweigan ancestry in the area. The name of my hometown is "New Norway"!. You're probably right about the Danish communites, but not in my area. Western Canada is big, after all!!

I agree - nothing stopping them from coming to visit!! :flower:

Last edited:
I fully expect the "horn orchestra" to play at full throttle and that's why I wonder why on earth they don't invite more royals and add even more glamour.

And the answer is buried somewhere in the events of the year 1917, when the Sachsen -Coburg -Gothas reinvented themselves as the Windsors! IMHO I hasten to add :)!

Viv

Charles asked for it;); it was bad timing from Clarence House! It should have been a no-brainer that a newly wed Aussie-born princess would attract a big crowd on her first trip back home!

Charles trip was planned before Mary's, things that had been set in motion couldn't be stoppped. It was actually rather mean of Mary to plan the trip at exactly the same time as the Prince, a week later wouldn't have hurt.

That explains Isabella's mittens!!!! :p. I know that Frederik is an IOC member - was he a member during the Vancouver games?.

Nope, just a hopeful member. He was there for fun. :)

It was actually rather mean of Mary to plan the trip at exactly the same time as the Prince, a week later wouldn't have hurt.

Mary and Fred were there on invitation so no, they didn't plan the trip themselves :p So if the Australian side couldn't (for whatever reason) schedule the trip for a week later, what should M&F have done?

Last edited:
As a Canadian, I can tell you I don't care for "my royal family". Politically, the British monarchy is seen as nothing more than a "nice" tradition. Frankly, the Commonwealth leaves a bad taste in my mouth as it is tired, old, and out-of-touch. I prefer the European monarchies as they have and do contribute to their countries.
Which brings me to my two cents, if I may. I think the BRF has some PR work to do. This wedding is an opportunity to keep the "commoners" happy. There are many in the UK looking to oust the monarchy, so making the upcoming nuptials between William and Kate a grand Royal affair would be a big mistake for them. Besides, I read somewhere that the couple preferred the affair to be low key. I think 1900 guests doesn't achieve that goal, but for a wedding of the heir to the heir, there should be some pomp and circumstance.
I expect representatives of the Commonwealth to be prominent rather than any other Royal House. I think that under the circumstances, it would be Joachim and Marie to attend, but most likely Princess Benedicte that will represent Denmark, and CP Pavlos for Greece?

Also, the official site to the Prince of Wales has stated that the official guest list will not be released until AFTER the wedding.

That explains Isabella's mittens!!!! :p. I know that Frederik is an IOC member - was he a member during the Vancouver games?. I hope they enjoyed their time here. Must have been nice for them to be able to walk around anonymously like any other couple as I'm pretty sure there weren't any royal watchers at the olympics!!

Viv
You raise an intersting point. Yes, we're loyal to the RF, and with the impending visit of the newly weds this summer, I guess you could say we are indeed the jewel in the commonwealth crown! :blush:. However, we Canadians are a friendly, welcoming bunch and I would like to think that if there was an official visit by a member of another royal house that we would do our royal visitors justice. I'd hope there would be a nice turnout of crowds to see them!!:flowers:. Let's put out some invites and find out!!:D

Where I live in Alberta, there is actually a very strong Norweigan ancestry in the area. The name of my hometown is "New Norway"!. You're probably right about the Danish communites, but not in my area. Western Canada is big, after all!!

I agree - nothing stopping them from coming to visit!! :flower:

My family (extended) is one of the Norwegian "founding" families in the Camrose area. :flowers:

Charles trip was planned before Mary's, things that had been set in motion couldn't be stoppped. It was actually rather mean of Mary to plan the trip at exactly the same time as the Prince, a week later wouldn't have hurt.
Excuse me, but how can you possibly know that? Can you give me the exact date when the planning of those 2 trips started?
And Mary is certainly not alone responsible for the date of an official visit.

To guess Mary picked the same date as Charles out of meanness is more than silly. If anything one might assume that there was perhaps a lack of information and communication (from the Australian side).

This wedding is an opportunity to keep the "commoners" happy. There are many in the UK looking to oust the monarchy, so making the upcoming nuptials between William and Kate a grand Royal affair would be a big mistake for them. Besides, I read somewhere that the couple preferred the affair to be low key. I think 1900 guests doesn't achieve that goal, but for a wedding of the heir to the heir, there should be some pomp and circumstance..
Halfdane, IMO all top rank weddings are an opportunity to keep 'the people' happy, it's the stuff dreams are made of! However if the royal party of the couple counts among 'lesser royalty', the RF will usually keep it discreet and low key in order to avoid criticism of costs and relevance etc. Maybe Zara Philips will be allowed a more prominent wedding, because she's also a top drawer athlete??
As for the W & C wedding: IMO a certain measure of ambivalence is to be expected because of the times; the couple would be foolish not to signal some restraint, however I for one don't expect to see much restraint on the day!

I expect representatives of the Commonwealth to be prominent rather than any other Royal House. I think that under the circumstances, it would be Joachim and Marie to attend, but most likely Princess Benedicte that will represent Denmark, and CP Pavlos for Greece?
One thing is certain: CP Pavlos will not be the official representative for Greece. The Greek government would be livid! IMO he'll count among 'friends of the family' IF he has been invited.

Also, the official site to the Prince of Wales has stated that the official guest list will not be released until AFTER the wedding.
They never do, that's why the likes of you and me are speculating like mad :p!

Viv

Excuse me, but how can you possibly know that? Can you give me the exact date when the planning of those 2 trips started? And Mary is certainly not alone responsible for the date of an official visit.

I don't know what went on in the planning phase, but I do remember that the Mary & Fred visit was announced before the visit of the Prince of Wales. I also remember thinking that it was peculiar having two royal visits at the same time!

There's also this piece from the Guardian;
Leader: Australia | UK news | The Guardian

Viv

Last edited by a moderator:
But to return to the attendance of the DRF. My guess is on Mary and Frederik. That will be such a short event that they can take part without being separated from the twins for too long. And should they be unable due to considerations to the twins or whatever, Joachim and Marie will come in second.
As some of you pointed out, this is not a CP-wedding, so at present I don't think the Regent Couple will attend.
My guess is:
Frederik&Mary for William&Kate's wedding (or perhaps only Frederik as Mary is still on maternity leave; though the BRF would deserve it if the DRF sent someone lower ranking), Joachim&Marie for the Monaco wedding (so far Joachim attended all events there). I too don't see the Regent Couple at either event.

Mary and Fred were there on invitation so no, they didn't plan the trip themselves :p So if the Australian side couldn't (for whatever reason) schedule the trip for a week later, what should M&F have done?

I'm sure for Mary they could have reschedueled. Princes Charles future King of Australia, against Princess Mary who's just a woman who was born their and will reign over Denmark. :)

Excuse me, but how can you possibly know that? Can you give me the exact date when the planning of those 2 trips started?

That would be telling. ;)

To guess Mary picked the same date as Charles out of meanness is more than silly. If anything one might assume that there was perhaps a lack of information and communication (from the Australian side).

Not silly in my mind, Mary must have had a hand in choosing the date, it must have had to fit with her calender and the baby. This is my own opinion.

I'm sure for Mary they could have reschedueled. Princes Charles future King of Australia, against Princess Mary who's just a woman who was born their and will reign over Denmark.

They would only have rescheduled if it fit into the australian hosts calendar.

Not silly in my mind, Mary must have had a hand in choosing the date, it must have had to fit with her calender and the baby. This is my own opinion.

So you are indeed saying, that Mary had the visit in Australia scheduled at the same time as Charles out of pure meanness? As the visit from Charles was announced after the visit from Mary and Fred, and I doubt that the BRF called up the DRF to tell them "Charles will be in Australia from x to x, so stay out of the country to not steal the limelight!".
The Danish Royal Court first checked if there were any conflicting appointments when the invitation from the Australian hosts came. Btw. which baby are you talking about? Christian was born in October 2005.

Last edited:
I too don't see the Regent Couple at either event.

Just adding fuel to a fire: By sending the Regent Couple you force W&C to recognize the seniority (in rank) of the guest (i.e. they'll have to bow/courtsy to the Queen and Prince consort as Royal HoS, whereas they won't have to if it's just J&M. Someone could find pleasure in that).

As to who is invited/who is going, I think the invitations extended are rather open. It would be an insult to invite, say, J&M directly and not the Queen herself. So it's surely an invitation with an RSVP that has the effect "You can send two - pleas inform us who it'll be".

Perhaps there is some coordination in that European forum (forgot the name) where the court administratives meet to coordinate and exchange views and experiences on royal matters.

Just adding fuel to a fire: By sending the Regent Couple you force W&C to recognize the seniority (in rank) of the guest (i.e. they'll have to bow/courtsy to the Queen and Prince consort as Royal HoS, whereas they won't have to if it's just J&M. Someone could find pleasure in that).

On the other hand, that didn't appear to be a problem at the Continental weddings.

I'm sure for Mary they could have reschedueled. Princes Charles future King of Australia, against Princess Mary who's just a woman who was born their and will reign over Denmark. :)

CP Mary will not reign over Denmark anymore the P. Henrik is reigning over it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom