General News about the Danish Royal Family 1: December 2008 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Easter? Is there any news of the family at this time of the year?

Do we know if DRF members will attend a memorial service to show support to their Norwegian neighbors, apart from the Queen's condolences?
While Victoria & Daniel have shown open support, it would be quite unfortunate if there wasnt any reaction from Fred & Mary, simply continuing to enjoy themselves on holiday without showing public compassion, the nordic countries & heir couples are very close.

Do we know if DRF members will attend a memorial service to show support to their Norwegian neighbors, apart from the Queen's condolences?
While Victoria & Daniel have shown open support, it would be quite unfortunate if there wasnt any reaction from Fred & Mary, simply continuing to enjoy themselves on holiday without showing public compassion, the nordic countries & heir couples are very close.

They said in the news today that there will be a memorial service at some point in DK.
The Norwegian Seaman's Church is the obvious choice, however it is very likely that a larger church will used instead.
I would expect the DRF to be present at that service.

How many NS churches are there? There is one in Sweden, but there is one in Denmark too?

How many NS churches are there? There is one in Sweden, but there is one in Denmark too?

Yes. And probably one in the most important ports all over the world. Like Hong Kong, Singapore, New York, Amsterdam and so on.....

They said in the news today that there will be a memorial service at some point in DK.
The Norwegian Seaman's Church is the obvious choice, however it is very likely that a larger church will used instead.
I would expect the DRF to be present at that service.

Still find it strange/almost careless that there is no reaction whatsoever from Frederik & Mary respectively Joachim & Marie, I am not asking for physical presence but they could have done a statement, the heir generation is supposed to be close and Mette-Marit's stepbrother is among the victims.
It doesnt reflect well on the young Danish royals at all, private holidays seem to be more important than showing affection, what a horrible and arrogant attitude and although they might feel in private, there are situations when royals simply arent private and need to set a public example.

:previous: How do you know they haven't expressed their sympathies to the Norwegian state?

I'm not necessarily saying they have, but not everything has to be made public and the Queen of Denmark has already officially passed on Denmark's condolences.

Ultimately, we have no way of knowing who's contacted who or what has been written, faxed or emailed between the two respective courts.

Last edited:
Statements are usually done by the head of state, not by heirs/princes.
Was there a statement by Victoria, Willem-Alexander, Filipe ...?

How do you know there is no reaction? Perhaps they phoned or wrote?

Does everything have to be a public act - not to say PR stunt - nowadays?

Victoria & Daniel attended a memorial service & have shown public sympathy with the victims - among them MM's stepbrother - something I would have expected from Fred & Mary too given the closeness of the nordic heirs.

I havent mentioned the other countries, a Head of State statement would do here but the nordic country alliance is different

As Muhler pointed out there hasn't been a memorial service in Denmark yet, but there will be one as well.
We don't know yet when it will be and who will attend, so in my eyes it' s too early to write about the "horrible and arrogant attitude of the Danish princes".

Still find it strange/almost careless that there is no reaction whatsoever from Frederik & Mary respectively Joachim & Marie, I am not asking for physical presence but they could have done a statement, the heir generation is supposed to be close and Mette-Marit's stepbrother is among the victims.
It doesnt reflect well on the young Danish royals at all, private holidays seem to be more important than showing affection, what a horrible and arrogant attitude and although they might feel in private, there are situations when royals simply arent private and need to set a public example.

I realise feelings are a bit touchy in regards to this horrific event and it's easy to misinterpret things.
M&F are very close friends of the Norwegian CP couple and their character so far has never shown them to be uncaring whenever something so tragic happens.
Normally I would find the mere suggestion that M&F (and J&M) should be more interested in being on holiday in very poor taste and very tactless. However, these are not normal circumstances...

The Regent Couple are or have just returned from Greenland. It is the Monarch, i.e. QMII who lead the DRF in any official expression of sympathy.
It would be inapprorpiate if M&F went out public with some sort of statement or attending some sort service before QMII. - As this would embarrass QMII and leave people to ask why QMII didn't express her sympathy in the open? Why did the CP couple have to do it for her?
You see my point?

I'm absolutely certain M&F have been in contact with the Norwegian CP couple and expressed their sympathy personally, just as I'm confident that the Regent Copule have contacted the Norwegian Regent Couple personally.

There will be a memorial service. My guess is this weekend, probably Sunday and the DRF will attend, as will other official members of the Danish society, like the government and opposition leaders, as well as a representative from Norway.

This is not a race about expressing your sympathy as soon as possible, this is about expressing the sympathy in a proper, official and dignified manner.

Last edited:
I am aware that QE has already released a statement and of course the statemement of the monarch had to come first. But since then we havent heard from the Danish heir (or his brother - by the way, has he been regent in the last days?) in comparison to Victoria of Sweden who didnt hesitate to show her compassion.

I am aware that QE has already released a statement and of course the statemement of the monarch had to come first. But since then we havent heard from the Danish heir (or his brother - by the way, has he been regent in the last days?) in comparison to Victoria of Sweden who didnt hesitate to show her compassion.

Duke of Marmalade, honestly, what's the matter with you?

The Swedes do it their way and I don't know if the Swedish king lead or not. That's fine.

The DRF do it their way. What matters is that they do express sympathy.

The Danish PM is still in France or on his way back and so is the Regent Couple from Greenland. I don't know where M&F and J&M are right now. But surely you don't expect them to rush to the airport, children in tow to hurry back to DK as soon as possible in order to express their sympathy?
Give them time to plan a dignified way to express their sympathy. I should imagine the Danish Social Democrats in particular also would like to take part in an official expression of sympathy and they need to get back as well.
And with all due respect for the Norwegian victims, DK is after all not Norway. Let's not upstage the NRF.

There was no need for a regent as Greenland is within the realm.

Duke of Marmalade, honestly, what's the matter with you?

I am only asking a legitimate question Muhler, if you don't like it don't worry about it :flowers:

But surely you don't expect them to rush to the airport, children in tow to hurry back to DK as soon as possible in order to express their sympathy?
No I dont and never suggested anything like it. Sympathy can be expressed in many ways, main point is that it is being expressed at all. Its not that difficult to put a press release on a website, but maybe thats just me.

I am only asking a legitimate question Muhler, if you don't like it don't worry about it :flowers:

No I dont and never suggested anything like it. Sympathy can be expressed in many ways, main point is that it is being expressed at all. Its not that difficult to put a press release on a website, but maybe thats just me.

Yeah okay.

I just don't see the issue. 76 people are dead. To me it's the expression of sympathy that matters, not when.
I prefer a dignified sympathy by the entire DRF, rather than the various members being seen almost competing about who is first to express it.

I agree with Duke of Marmalade. The Scandinavians are known to be very close, share the same ancestors. There should have been some reaction besides the Queen's condolences. The Crown Prince Couple could have just gone to a church service, even a regular one, to show that their thoughts are with the victims and everybody who was affected by this cruelty. There was enough pap around to take holiday pictures, they would have seen them. But this "non reaction" leaves the impression they don't care but go on holidaying like nothing had happened and that feels wrong for me. I don't want to say they don't care but for the outside world it looks like it.

Last edited:
I agree with Duke of Marmelade. The Scandinavians are known to be very close, share the same ancestors. There should have been some reaction besides the Queen's condolences. The Crown Prince Couple could have just gone to a church service, even a regular one, to show that their thoughts are with the victims and everybody who was affected by this cruelty. There was enough pap around to take holiday pictures, they would have seen them. But this "non reaction" leaves the impression they don't care but go on holidaying like nothing had happened and that feels wrong for me. I don't want to say they don't care but for the outside world it looks like it.

But that's what you are saying, isn't it?

Okay, I must admit that I begin to become genuinely offended and angry.

The Regent Couple were in Greenland and they wrote a letter of condolences and cancelled most of the scheduled events Saturday out of respect for the victims in Norway.

M&F were I understand in France or about to go back. The Danish press have had their photo opportunity and gone back home. Should they have phoned the press in DK and said: "We are attending a service in a French church to show our sympathy, come and take pictures of us"?

What is it you are saying? That the Danish CP couple is selfish, unemphatic and unsympathetic?

76 people died!!
I object to this turning into a competition about which RF show the most sympathy and how swift!!

Last edited:
for the outside world it looks like it.

Outside world is a very very big place, so far two people on this forum have expressed their dismay at the apparant DRF's lack of acknowledgement to Norway.

Two people think they don't care. Not the outside world.

Instead of 'outside world' I maybe should have used a term like 'someone standing outside'.

It’s not about a "competition about which RF show the most sympathy and how swift" but rather about showing something at all. What happened is a terrible tragedy and I would just expect something because they are so close, like the Swedish CP Couple did.
Duke of Marmalade has already said much about it.

But I see you have a different opinion about this.

But I see you have a different opinion about this.

You bet!
And if you don't understand why I react like I do, considering the circumstances, there is no point in continuing this discussion.

I agree with Duke of Marmalade. The Scandinavians are known to be very close, share the same ancestors. There should have been some reaction besides the Queen's condolences. The Crown Prince Couple could have just gone to a church service, even a regular one, to show that their thoughts are with the victims and everybody who was affected by this cruelty. There was enough pap around to take holiday pictures, they would have seen them. But this "non reaction" leaves the impression they don't care but go on holidaying like nothing had happened and that feels wrong for me. I don't want to say they don't care but for the outside world it looks like it.

In other words the Crown Princely couple didn't act the way you think they should have, according to your bias.

And certainly, you can agree with that poster as much as you like, it doesn't change the fact though that you or they do not know what's being communicated between Denmark and Norway.

You as a member of the global public are not entitled to be made aware of such things so all you have to do, all that is available to you, is the opportunity to assume.

but rather about showing something at all

And yet, you are in no position to say this hasn't been done already. Of coure you're welcome to an opinion, it would just make sense if it were one based on evidence, instead of the eagerness for assumption which poorly supports your argument.

It's rather difficult to damn a reaction if you aren't infact aware of the possible dialogue being shared between those mentioned.

Last edited:
Well, we never know. Mary & Fred may have called or emailed Haakon & MM and shared their grief in private. Not everything Royals do have to be out in the open. Wasn't their a statement from QM? That's good enough IMO.

I see where a few members are coming from regarding the Cp couple (who you could excuse as they are away) and Joachim for not attending a church mass but maybe nothing took place or he is on holiday as well that we aren't aware of.

Moreover, isn't a statement from Queen M more than enough? I would rather see one good statement from the head rather then statements scattered all over the place from various people. As a poster mentioned, each country deals with stuff differently. Doesn't mean if Victoria & Daniel attended a church mass we would expect other royals to do so.

Last edited:
New dresses for both women? Margrethe looks stunning.

I agree...I couldn't take my eyes off Margrethe to see what Mary is wearing!

For some reason, it looks better here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom