The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #281  
Old 11-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Viv's Avatar
Viv Viv is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Funen, Denmark
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
So who needs horses?
The royal family does - when they're being ferried around in their carriages!

( and here's a diabolic smiley for you - found him on the extended smiley selection )

viv
__________________

__________________
  #282  
Old 11-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
The royal family does - when they're being ferried around in their carriages!

( and here's a diabolic smiley for you - found him on the extended smiley selection )

viv
Hmm, yeah well, I guess a carriage drawn by four Harleys would somehow spoil the picture. I think Nikolai and Felix would find it cool though.
That smiley will come in handy!
__________________

__________________
I love work, it absolutely fascinates me. I can sit for hours looking at people working.
  #283  
Old 12-09-2011, 06:05 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 5,378
A nice little gallery of members of the DRF laughing: https://picasaweb.google.com/1008659.../KongeligeGrin

Not sure pic #19 is a laugh though. That was from a visit to USA, in Colorado and Mary was positively freezing.
Here is another: http://www.box.com/s/4n88q7b6c08uaig8lk4p
__________________
I love work, it absolutely fascinates me. I can sit for hours looking at people working.
  #284  
Old 12-10-2011, 03:57 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: little rock, Antarctica
Posts: 506
Thanks for the link Muhler.

Great gallery I especially like number #13 -Mary and Frederik I think it was from their official visit to Iceland. It is such a feel good, happy picture.
__________________
  #285  
Old 12-12-2011, 11:10 PM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,960
Posts discussing the "De Kongelige Juveler" documentary have been moved to their own thread, http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...1-a-32248.html, which can now be found in the Royal Library 'Electronic Domain' subforum. Please continue the discussion there.
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
  #286  
Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 AM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,960
From the TRF Blog, written by Princess Robijn:

Quote:
Danish Royal Court Renews Official Website

The Danish Royal Court has renewed and improved the official website of the Danish Royal family. In addition, they removed the website of the Danish Crown Prince Couple and instead added a link to the new official website.
The new website might take a little getting used to with the new design, but once your adjusted, you will be pleased. The main page (in Danish) is devided in “News”, “Calendar” and “Photo & video”. In addition, there are 5 options at the top of the page, “The monarchy in Denmark”, “The Royal family”, “Castles and the Royal Yacht”, Historical collections and “Organization and contact”.
The pictures at the website are now larger, of better quality and easier to find. For those interested in behind the scenes work, the part about the organisation of the Royal House has improved significantly. And there are many more new items to investigate.


The new website looks very interesting - I especially like all the new historical/informative sections they've added. Hopefully they will regularly update the photo albums with photos from engagements as well.
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
  #287  
Old 12-21-2011, 01:14 PM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 18,764
Lovely new site. Looks quite fresh and everything spread out nicely.
  #288  
Old 12-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
The re-designed website requires some light attention to spelling and grammar when converted to it's english layout.

Interesting though.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
  #289  
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 AM
nwinther's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Varde, Denmark
Posts: 201
MASSIVE improvement on the website. Good on ya, mate.
__________________
  #290  
Old 12-28-2011, 04:54 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 5,378
The serious newspaper Politiken has published a survey commisioned by the paper:
8 af 10 danskere vil bevare kongehuset - Politiken.dk

According to that survey 77% are in favour of keeping the monarchy, 16% want a republic.
A similar survey last year showed that 25% wanted a republic.

That makes us the most royalist people in Europe.

In the article there is a list of how the relationship between how people vote and how they feel about the monarchy. Nothing surprising here, except for Enheldslisten = The Unity List. - They are far left voters but nevertheless 36% are in favour of the monarchy.

Historian Lars Hovbakke Sørensen comments: "That's really a huge figure in favour of the monarchy. Compared with other European countries Denmark is in the lead".

Jes Fabricious Møller, historian and specialist in the DRF: "I consider that a pretty secure basis to work from. The Queen can sleep safely at night".

In Norway 67% are in favour of keeping the monarchy. The difference between Norway and DK is explained with the DRF having become more modern, without going too far too soon.

Lars Hovbakke explains: "In other countries that has either taken place too fast or too slow. The support for the monarchy in Norway dropped when the Crown Prince married a single mother. That was a bit too modern and too common and that took away some of the glamour".

That Mary came from an ordinary/traditional (nuclear) family and at the same time was unknown to the Danes was an advantage:
"It's perfect that the Crown Prince married an ordinary girl, who at the same time comes from the other side of the globe. In that way there is something exotic about it, and there are no Danes who knew her before and have partied with her in highschool. It's a good balance between something ordinary/common and something different".

Jes Fabricius believes it is very much about the Monarch herself:
"The Queen is incredibly confident. What defines her reign is that she basically don't put a foot wrong. In contrast to her Swedish cousin King Carl Gustaf, who several times have said things which are close to interfering with the governing of the country. If he expresses an opinion that is not shared by the population, the hammer falls".
The handling of the divorce between Joachim and Alexandra was handled very well, thus avoiding it becoming a major scandal:
"Fortunately we don't know the details, because they are disciplined people, who have understood to handle the situation in a way, so that no one felt a need to air the dirty laundry in public".

Historian Jon Bloch Skipper says that you cannot view an institution as the monarchy with rational eyes:
"The support is not about the rational part of it. It's about emotions, identification and identity. The DRF provide consensus and the experience of being a part of a greater community (the tribal feeling, you know), no matter how fragmented the world can seem.
The DRF is something we all can relate to and have a feeling of belonging around it. That's important, because we live in an age of globalization. Our society has become multi-cultural, and we live many different sorts of lives. No matter whether you come from somewhere else or have lived here all your life, people have a need to be together about something".

Politically speaking being in favour of a republic is also a dead heering, which no party-leader to the right of the Unity List, wish to have anything to do with.
However the scale can easily tip the other way, that is very much up to Frederik, and as long as he stays clear of politics and does not reduce himself to becoming a mere celebrity he should be in the clear.

------

- I agree, Frederik is popular because he is folksy and approachable, however in my eyes, he is just on the line now and he should not go further. Ironically, I believe Mary can maintain the balance, she is more regal than Frederik.
It was the same thing with Queen Ingrid, she was very regal and dignified and maintained the balance with the more folksy Frederik IX.

There is also a list of the figures since 1972, where 42% were in favour of the monarchy.
In 2001 a staggering 93% were in favour. The historians believe at had to do with Alexandra and Joachim and the birth of Nikolai. I disagree. I believe it had to do with 9/11 and the prospect of war, which could (and did) involve Denmark. In that situation, you tend to turn to stable symbols, like the monarchy. That was also one of the reasons why the political landscape here in DK turned right, followed by ten years of a right wing government.
__________________
I love work, it absolutely fascinates me. I can sit for hours looking at people working.
  #291  
Old 12-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
- I agree, Frederik is popular because he is folksy and approachable, however in my eyes, he is just on the line now and he should not go further. Ironically, I believe Mary can maintain the balance, she is more regal than Frederik.
It was the same thing with Queen Ingrid, she was very regal and dignified and maintained the balance with the more folksy Frederik IX.
Agree 100%! Being folksy & approachable is fine, but it shouldnt cross the line to becoming the court jester. Mary can only balance to a certain degree, at the end of the day Frederik will be the Head of State, not Mary. I believe that at some point Frederik will have to pull himself together and even though he might still have certain shortcomings, people want to see that he makes an effort to do his best.
__________________
  #292  
Old 12-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: little rock, Antarctica
Posts: 506
Thanks Muhler
77% is a great result for the DRF.

Muhler, DR has a video it translates to something like 'A year with the Royal Family or maybe Royal House' I was wondering if perhaps you may have seen this video and if so, if you could possibly find it in your kind heart to give us a quick translation. It would be very much appreciated.

Sorry, I would post the link if I knew how.
__________________
  #293  
Old 12-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Tarlita's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: small town near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 750
From an outsiders point of view, if I may; I think Frederik and Mary will make a well balanced team together. Frederik as king will have the experience to be taken seriously and Mary will add her conciensousness. [Oops forgot how to spell it.] I think they will do just fine together. After all other regent couples have been thrown in the deep end when young and have managed brilliantly albeit with hiccups along the way. And of course you can never please all of the people all of the time. But they could please the majority and win over the sceptics with time.
__________________
  #294  
Old 12-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Patra's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern, United States
Posts: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
From an outsiders point of view, if I may; I think Frederik and Mary will make a well balanced team together. Frederik as king will have the experience to be taken seriously and Mary will add her conciensousness. [Oops forgot how to spell it.] I think they will do just fine together. After all other regent couples have been thrown in the deep end when young and have managed brilliantly albeit with hiccups along the way. And of course you can never please all of the people all of the time. But they could please the majority and win over the sceptics with time.
I couldnt agree more, Frederik and Mary strike an excellent balance IMO. Getting married and having a family has seemed to matue the crown prince as well.
__________________
Patra
God is in the Details.....
  #295  
Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 AM
agami.pearl's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: -, Poland
Posts: 1,798
IMO Frederic is not the most hardworking Danish royal or the best prepared for the role of king among his European colleagues. Mary is better but she will be 'only' Queen Consort. I think that both need more time to prepare to take over rule.
__________________
  #296  
Old 12-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by marfre View Post
Thanks Muhler
77% is a great result for the DRF.

Muhler, DR has a video it translates to something like 'A year with the Royal Family or maybe Royal House' I was wondering if perhaps you may have seen this video and if so, if you could possibly find it in your kind heart to give us a quick translation. It would be very much appreciated.

Sorry, I would post the link if I knew how.
You mean as in a yearly review?
Sure.

However, I can't find such a video. Perhaps someone else can help locating the link?

I watched the yearly review on TV2 and that was actually very good, with reporters being interviewed about their impressions behind the scenes, not least of Mary, when she was about to go on live TV from the Ethiopia. She was very nervous indeed.
__________________
I love work, it absolutely fascinates me. I can sit for hours looking at people working.
  #297  
Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Viv's Avatar
Viv Viv is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Funen, Denmark
Posts: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
- I agree, Frederik is popular because he is folksy and approachable, however in my eyes, he is just on the line now and he should not go further. Ironically, I believe Mary can maintain the balance, she is more regal than Frederik.
Thanks for the summary, Muhler. I'm also convinved that Mary has a good influence on Frederik. However I'm not sure whether she's the more 'regal'; she might be in appearance but not in essence! At the end of the day she was a bourgeois foreigner who married into a royal family. It must be a daunting experience, and she is very careful not to put a foot wrong (and so far she hasn't, IMO). She appears to be on her guard in several situations and it will take another few years before she's completely at ease in her role!
Frederik on the other hand, while he may appear 'folksy' and be folksy to a small degree, he's just doing what characterizes many born royals: they don't think about what they're doing because they're royals! IMO it's inbreed in their character.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
It was the same thing with Queen Ingrid, she was very regal and dignified and maintained the balance with the more folksy Frederik IX.
The 'end result might' be the same, but the prerequisites are different! Princess Ingrid knew ('thought')from early on that she was destined to become queen as one of her brothers once told! Ingrid was a product of the Swedish royal family who at the time were very aware of their station and their dynastic rules. When reading her bios I get the impression that the Danish heir apparent was not on top of her shortlist, she did refuse his first proposal.

viv
__________________
  #298  
Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: little rock, Antarctica
Posts: 506
Muhler, thanks for your quick response.

I do think it is a yearly review, I saw the link to the video on myroyals blog site. It shows as DR NU if that helps at all.
__________________
  #299  
Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 5,378

Ah, this one: DR NU

Okay, I'll have a look at it and add my comments in this post later.

If you have questions about what is being said at a specific point in the review, just let me know where, and I'll look at it.

------------------------

The review is a mix of clips and interviews with three royal reporters. From left to right, Tine, reporter from DR1. Thomas, reporter from the serious newspaper Berlinske Tidende and author of the book Amalienborg. And Trine Larsen from Billed Bladet. (*)
The are asked what they thought was the most significan royal event of 2011, Tine replies that it was the day M&F left Rigshospitalet with the twins. Mary had just told about a detail and added: "It's actually very moving", and then she became moved herself. Leading Tine to also become emotional.
Thomas: Frederik visiting Japan after the tsunami. Frederik at some point played soccer with a number of evacuated children, (some of whom had lost home or even parents) and that was a moment of spontanious joire de vivre.
Trine: Isabella was enchanting during the baptism of the twins.

05:30:
Tine is asked why the baptism and the British wedding were so big events. (She covered them for DR1). - Because they are big event to gather around. The christening of M&F's children is perhaps particulary interesting because Frederik is the heir and because the children are persons we will follow their entire lives (or more likely the rest of our lives)
But why did we see so little of QMII at the British wedding? Because the coverage was primarily directed at the British audience, so the cameras focused on persons in the BRF, British celebs and other people the British viewers know. A continental monarch is not in that catagory.
Trine comments on the fact that M&F were not at the wedding, which she thought was a bit odd. And she talked with Frederik about it in London and he said: "It's no shame not to attend, when you are not invited".
She was the only danish reporter in the international press pool and as such she watched the wedding up close.
Christian started in the public school. Why did that get such a coverage?
Thomas: It was significant that Christian attends a public school and apart from finding a school where M&F believe their son will thrive there it's also a signal that the DRF is not isolated from the population. It will also prepare Christian better in the future, that he has been a part of the lives of ordinary Danes.

13:00.
Thomas is asked about the US view of M&F as European royals. To the Americans a Danish politician is of very little interest indeed, but royalty, that's something different. Something exotic and as such they open very different doors than politicians and get more attention. Which again means that DK as a small nation get more PR.
What does it mean that M&F pack boxes with emergency equipment for UNICEF with Will & Kate?
Thomas explains: Hopefully UNICEF got some attention as well, but as W&K have a very high international profile that also rubs off on M&F and as such Denmark. (**)
Trine is then asked about Frederik's trip to Japan, which was a gesture the Japanese very much noted and were very grateful for indeed. Frederik was the first royal to visit the area stricken by the tsunami and that at a time, when there was still some doubt as to the safety in regards to radiation. In fact Japanese journalist thanked the Danish reporters and the Danish people when she covered Joachim and our Marie's visit to Japan some months later. (***)
Thomas explains that the Imperial Family maintains a much greater distance to the Japanese people than the DRF and then suddenly Frederik showed up, interacting with ordinary Japanese, playing with children and so on.
His visit got massive coverage in the Japanese media.
Trine is then asked how close she gets to the DRF, among other places in Africa, where she litterally slept in a tent next to Frederik's. The locals had certainly not imagined a foreign dignitary and a royal at that living so rough and being so approachable. The fascillities were below basic, no clean water, no baths, no electricity.

20:00.
In 2012 QMII 40th year of her reign is celebrated.
(The short speech made by QMII from the balcony is very poignant).
Tine tells us that one of her very first memories from TV is an image of a coffin draped with a flag. To her QMII has been there always. She cannot remember anything before QMII.
Thomas spoke with QMII about this day and she told him that it was the many people who had shown up at the square in front of Christiansborg on this bitterly cold day, that gave her the strength to give her speech. In the midst of her grief she also felt ready to take over, her parents had prepared her well.
Tine: It's difficult for her to say how QMII has coped, she has always been there.QMII is a central figure throughout her life and laugingly she adds that she knows grown men who shed tears when they watch QMII on TV, (giving her New Year speech), because she means something and because she has the abillity to speak to us and to gather us around, sometimes being thought provoking.
Thomas believes is worth pondering that in an age where many believe royalty is an anacronism, QMII has been able to establish that institution very securely. On the contrary she has over a span of 40 years strengthned the monarchy and been able to reach out to the Danes, not least through her New Year speeches. Where she manages to have an albeit one-sided dialogue with the Danes.
Tine adds that QMII has developed tremedously thorughout her 40 years of reign. She has become more bold, not least in regards to her art.
Trine tells us that QMII by her own admission is in no way a gadget freak. It is believed that she has a mobile phone, but she has never used it and technology is completely alien to her.
A part of the reason why QMII has developed the way she has is that she has three sisters and two sons, that influences her. In her boys have been able to provide feedback for her. (****)
Thomas ends by saying that the reason for the DRG success throught QMII's reign is that she has opened the DRF and that a monarchy that is isolated simply cannot survive in our time and age.

The whole things ends with Tine talking a little bit about the coverage at the jubilee next month, of which a good deal is kept secret, even from QMII herself. There will be a couple of surprises.

- I see that the programme sidestepped the controversy regarding the Bahrain visit. Which was basically poor advise from the government.

(*) I have noticed that for the last few years, when the networks need a "royal reporter", their either get someone from Billed Bladet or a historian. Just ten years ago, the legendary Mugge from Se & Hør or Bodil Cath from BT, would almost certainly have been among those selected. But reporters from the magazines Her & Nu and Se & Hør and the tabloid BT are no longer used. It's no surprise with Se & Hør, they've ruined it for themselves and are no longer taken seriously in that context - if any.

(**) Interestingly Thomas labelled Will and Kate as the Heirs to the Throne, which is incorrect but very much the perception here in DK. With all due respect for the Prince of Wales, he is more or less considered an interrim figure, who will merely fill out the gap until the real heirs, W&K, enters the stage.

(***) That was also mentioned in her interview with M&J.

(****) It is my clear impression that QMII is an observant woman, who is willing to learn, also from her juniours. She has certainly learned from Mary in regards to interacting with ordinary people.
__________________
I love work, it absolutely fascinates me. I can sit for hours looking at people working.
  #300  
Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: little rock, Antarctica
Posts: 506
Yes that is the one, thanks. the discussions appeared to be rather interesting

Muhler, I will let you know tomorrow which specific points if that is OK. It is now 10.40 pm and if I am to go to work tomorrow, I don't think I will have time to watch it and get back again.
Thanks so much.

Muhler

Thanks, it is very much appreciated. I enjoyed the video and with your translation made it far more enjoyable.
The segment regarding the overseas visits that Frederik made, was one area that I was interested in. Did Trine interview Frederik while they were in Mozambique?

I think Trine and Thomas (reporters) have the surname.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
British Royal Family Current Events 6: April 2013 - December 2013 Zonk Current Events Archive 621 01-01-2014 11:32 AM
Past Danish Royal Family Calendars: August 2005 to December 2013 Mandy Royal House of Denmark 101 11-23-2013 06:39 AM
General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 8: March - May 2011 dazzling Current Events Archive 406 05-19-2011 06:51 AM
General News about Joachim, Marie and Family 2: August 2009 - January 2011 dazzling Current Events Archive 401 01-08-2011 01:25 AM




Popular Tags
birth brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven pom pregnancy president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess mabel princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]