General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 4: July 2014 - August 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your English is very good indeed. ?

And I agree with every word you say - except for the bit about PH.
Yes, I too believe Joachim has been very much misunderstood - sometimes people are more than willing to misunderstand him...
(But keep in mind that there was a period where Joachim was genuinely seen as the better alternative to becoming the next king, than Frederik. So things change.)

PH, as you now, was very much ridiculed for his poor command of spoken Danish (however his ability to understand all the nuances of Danish was very good indeed!) And I think that was very much due to ignorance. People really didn't know the person, PH, but rather knew him as the person who walked behind the Queen speaking "circus-Danish". It has only been within the past couple of decades that DRF truly opened up and where we genuinely got to know the real people behind the titles.
And PH with his humor and ability to lighten things up and the fact that he was both conservative and very little conservative at the same time began to endear him to the Danes. Especially after a portrait where we got to know his feelings and thoughts better. - Including of course the "I wanna be king" opinion of his.
But sometimes he would say or do something that went totally against the typical Danish mindset and he would find himself in a row! :bang:
So PH's popularity was something of a roller-coaster for the last three decades of his life.
PH was human, for better or worse. And we Danes looking at him and talking about him are humans too - for better or worse. ;)

It is perhaps in that light we should see Joachim, and what people are saying about him.

thanks for all these explanations Muhler,
we are two peoples too different ! the French are Latin, spontaneous, warm, "bons vivants"... Prince Henrik and Princess Marie are two good examples... the Danes are different, more reserved and maybe that's why the french are less appreciated...
Princess Grace has never spoken French very well, she still has had a strong American accent but no one in France has criticized her for that...

thanks for all these explanations Muhler,
we are two peoples too different ! the French are Latin, spontaneous, warm, "bons vivants"... Prince Henrik and Princess Marie are two good examples... the Danes are different, more reserved and maybe that's why the french are less appreciated...
Princess Grace has never spoken French very well, she still has had a strong American accent but no one in France has criticized her for that...

:lol: We Danes are widely considered the Latinos of Scandinavia for being - as you put it - spontaneous and warm.
I'm actually not kidding. (And it applies mainly to Copenhageners.)

I will also add that France has always been much more cosmopolitan than certainly DK was prior to 1980.

according the comments of your compatriots that I could read, many don't understand at all PH and PM... "two weird things" comming from France...
it might be wise to avoid weddings between Denmark and France from now... lol

Well, like I said before, no one outside the readers of Ekstra Bladet are the least bit interested in what is commented there. Anyway, the certifiable nutcases there, have a tendency to fight among themselves.

And it is my very clear impression that it's not our Marie people have anything against, it's Joachim!

Also, if you deliberately look for Danes saying something bad about Marie, you will find them.
And that applies to every single royal on this planet.

I think this sounds like a good move for the family, whether it’s a short stay or turns into something longer term.

One of the major disadvantages more senior royals have is that they can’t relocate to a foreign country. Travel and possibly a few years studying abroad aren’t the same thing. Royals in Joachim’s position don’t have the same constraints so why not take advantage of the ability to move and immerse their children in another culture, in this case that of their mother?

Additional trivia about the move to France, based on article in Billed Bladet #06, 2019.
Written by Henrik Salling & Dorte Quist.

It is of course a problem fro Athena and Henrik, who have to change school and leave classmates and friends behind.
Our Marie said: "I think it'll be an exciting challenge. They think it's a bit hard that they have to change everything, but they are looking forward. They do however speak French (*) because I speak French with them. But they can learn speaking a little better. And then I'm looking forward to the children learning more about the French culture. It's a big chance for them.
The thing I probably look the most forward to is to support my husband and be together with my family. I do get closer to my father, who lives in Paris."

As it is, right now Henrik and Athena attend a French school here in DK, and I don't know to what extent it resembles a school in France. There are differences however.
In DK, pupils are on first name and informal you with their teachers.
In France it's more formal and there is much less emphasis on group work. In Danish school you probably work at least half the time in groups.
In Denmark it's a five full day week at school.
In France it's 4½ day week, with Wednesday being a short day.

Mary has also commented: "We are looking forward in his behalf - and of course on behalf of the family as well. It's such a fine recognition. It will surely be a big challenge but also an exciting time for the family."

Q: Will You be going down to visit them at some point?
M: "Yes, I hope so."

BB speculates that Nikolai may join the family often, since his sweetheart, Benedikte Thoustrup currently study in France. But there is as you know, also a big fashion industry in France.

Joachim won't have time to be bored! And it's questionable how much of France he is going to experience while attending the staff school there.
He will be studying for six full days a week, as well as being away on trips several times.
The course he will be attending is divided into two parts:
Both are under Ecole Militaire.
The first part takes place at Centre des Hautes Etudes Militaires. - Here 30 selected officers of the rank of full colonels or commodores (**) will be taught about military-strategic management and international relations. (***)
The second part is more diverse, and very much about creating a network! Here 70 business leaders, parliamentarians, civil servants and representatives from the media will join the officers.
Here various topics are discussed in depth, like international relations within culture, trade, politics as well as military relations. To that is added crisis management and exchanging experiences. (****)

(*) I understand Marie, at least in private, address her children in French and they respond in "Danch."

(**) Full colonel and commodore in the navy is the lowest rank, where you have your own staff.
To make things confusing a "staff officer" can mean two things:
An officer who work in staff, typically a general staff, that's from full colonel and down.
Or an officer who has his own staff, typically a general, that's from full colonel and up.

(***) How to oversee the implementation of a strategy and modify it according to circumstances, here also in relation to foreign political considerations.
This is aimed at officers who are soon to be promoted to general/admiral.

(****) This is for senior analysts. Both within the military but also senior civil servants, diplomats, politicians involved in foreign affairs as well as senior foreign correspondents in the press.
The purpose is to analyze and understand the political situation in a given country, with consideration to the ethnic, cultural and economic circumstances. How to help preventing a situation from becoming hot and what to if it does go hot.
And considering the network Joachim will establish contact with during this part of the course, they must be drooling in the Danish Defense Command and the Foreign Ministry!

-------------------

Marie and her friend Britt Siesby were seen together at a charity fashion show, Charity Catwalk at Hotel D'Angleterre. Here they spend a couple of hours looking at fashion as well as joining a number of friends, including Osacer Siesbye, in the hotel restaurant, for a couple of hours more.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you Muhler. I'm sure it will be sad for Henrik and Athena to leave their Danish friends behind at first, though children tend to adjust to such moves well so hopefully the same will be said for them. Young children are more likely to pick up languages when they move to new countries, and even though they'll only be there for a year and a bit, Henrik and Athena will probably adjust to French being spoken everywhere quickly.

:previous: You are welcome.

Agree, if they are to relocate, it's better now while their children are still young. And who knows? The children might thrive in France.

I think Joachim hints that their stay could be longer.

Additional trivia about the move to France, based on article in Billed Bladet #06, 2019.
Written by Henrik Salling & Dorte Quist.

It is of course a problem fro Athena and Henrik, who have to change school and leave classmates and friends behind.
Our Marie said: "I think it'll be an exciting challenge. They think it's a bit hard that they have to change everything, but they are looking forward. They do however speak French (*) because I speak French with them. But they can learn speaking a little better. And then I'm looking forward to the children learning more about the French culture. It's a big chance for them.
The thing I probably look the most forward to is to support my husband and be together with my family. I do get closer to my father, who lives in Paris."

As it is, right now Henrik and Athena attend a French school here in DK, and I don't know to what extent it resembles a school in France. There are differences however.
In DK, pupils are on first name and informal you with their teachers.
In France it's more formal and there is much less emphasis on group work. In Danish school you probably work at least half the time in groups.
In Denmark it's a five full day week at school.
In France it's 4½ day week, with Wednesday being a short day.

Have the children of Prince Joachim and Countess Alexandra and the children of the Crown Prince couple likewise been taught to speak the native languages of their mothers or made extended visits to their mothers' native countries?

According to BT Joachim's protections have begun getting letters informing them that he for a period cannot attend events and follow what is going to the same extent as usual.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/protektion....h-prinsen-har-meget-at-se-til-lige-nu-saa-vi

Apparently it is also customary to inform the protections of the new address when a royal moves, presumably so that they know where to phone, mail, and write, that has not yet happened. - Again presumably because J&M haven't found a new home in France yet.

That makes sense since he will be in class 6 days a week, that's why their original statement of no changes to their workload didn't make complete sense.
This is just for Joachim or have Marie's patronages been notified too?

That makes sense since he will be in class 6 days a week, that's why their original statement of no changes to their workload didn't make complete sense.
This is just for Joachim or have Marie's patronages been notified too?

There is no mentioning of our Marie, but I doubt she will be that active either. She will be busy being mother for two children, who are getting adjusted to a new school, new classmates, a new country and another language. And with dad not home that much and no doubt pretty wasted when he is home, the children will very much rely on their mother for support.
Later on, when the children have settled in, they can rely on Marie's family to look after them, and she will be able to do some jobs in DK - I imagine she would like to keep an eye on their home in DK as well.
But I don't think we will see much of them this side of Christmas.

- The story focus mainly on Joachim, because he will continue to receive his apanage while in France, even though that could strictly speaking be against the Constitution, which says a DRF member can't live abroad and get an apanage at the same time. - But J&M are not settling abroad, they are stationed abroad. On behalf of the Ministry of Defense actually.
And even though it is Joachim who gets the apanage, an unknown sum is no doubt allocated directly to Marie - depending on whatever private agreement they have made among themselves.

But the most common illness here in DK is "ondt i røven!" - Pain in the butt = resentment because someone (else than you) get something. It is IMO a more negative feeling than envy.
And that's what this is all about: Quite a few feel a distinct pain in their behinds because Joachim get his apanage while abroad for a year.

Thanks, Eya.

Oh Ærø (island, ø = island.) I was about to ask whether anyone knew were Aero Island is. :lol:

Ærø located in the sea south of Funen is among the absolute most scenic places in DK, and considering that a multitude of coasters were build in that area and people living there mainly went to sea, the island takes up a quiet but important place in Danish history.

When the time comes or we win the lottery, this is among the places I should like to retire to.
A few snaps:
https://www.aeroekommune.dk/Files/Images/Bosætning/4N1A0499.jpg
https://files.guidedanmark.org/files/485/485_303707.jpg
https://www.naturturisme.dk/images/Projekter/Søbygaard/Lejrskoleportalen Søbygaard 134edit.jpg
http://www.uffeboesen.dk/wp-content/gallery/aeroe_2018/Ærø_Akvarel_uffe_boesen_P1020439.jpg
http://www.uffeboesen.dk/wp-content/gallery/aeroe_2018/Ærø_Akvarel_uffe_boesen_P1020403.jpg
http://www.aeroefotoklub.dk/data2/images/3.jpg

Last edited:
What an incredibly beautiful place, Muhler, thanks for sharing those photos.

The military training of Prince Joachim will not be easy. He will be with the french ELITE militaires who arrived to be the best by their own.

Prince Joachim will join them because he is the Queen of Denmark's Son , and will have his apanage. He received President Macron's agreement during his State Visit in Denmark.

Humility will be needed !

Last edited:
Joachim and ice hockey?!? :ohmy:

He has never struck me as particularly interested in ice hockey, let alone other winter sports.

:previous: Me too, I was also quite surprised. Joachim doesn't even seem to be much interested in skiing, as most of the European royals and aristocrats are when it comes to winter sports.

Last edited:
Maybe this new interest is part of Danish strategy towards Canada? Your Frederik Andersen is very popular right now as Goalkeeper for the Toronto Maple Leaf hockey team as it heads into the Stanley Cup Playoffs!:flowers::whistling:
https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...he-calm-in-the-middle-of-the-storm-again.html

Are your suggesting we should play hockey about Hans Island/Hans Ø?

Great idea! Your PM against our Frederik. And as goalie we'll let you keep Frederik Andersen... :D
Of course he will do his best for Canada, against his native country and Crown Prince... Sure he will. ?
BTW I have a mermaid for sale in case you are interested. :D

Are your suggesting we should play hockey about Hans Island/Hans Ø?

Great idea! Your PM against our Frederik. And as goalie we'll let you keep Frederik Andersen... :D
Of course he will do his best for Canada, against his native country and Crown Prince... Sure he will. ?
BTW I have a mermaid for sale in case you are interested. :D

I think a little 'friendly' match between our two countries with Hans island as the prize is a great idea:flowers: Our PM is not very popular right now
https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...g-the-damage-to-trudeaus-political-brand.html
so he might well drag himself away from the Toronto cameras to face your Crown Prince; I am sure Frederik Andersen would be delighted to do the duties
https://www.reddit.com/r/leafs/comments/awvlk5/frederik_andersen_instagram_had_the_great_honor/
I live quite near Lake Ontario; I will see if I can do a gofund me campaign for your mermaid!:lol:

:previous: ;)?

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prins-joachim-hyldes-med-foedselsdagskoncert
Joachim will be celebrated with a concert near his home four days prior yo his 50th birthday, on the 3th June to be exact.
A number of Danish artists will entertain for the guests. Some 500 tickets for the concerts are up for sale and the proceeds will go to a charity.

It will not be a folksy event though.
One of those behind this present to Joachim is opera-singer Jens-Christian Wandt, who says:
"Prince Joachim has always had a great love for the classical music. He is patron for several classical ensembles and listen with great enthusiasm to both opera, chamber music, choir and Danish songs. That's why it was obvious to present Prince Joachim with this birthday present and in that way thank him for his big commitment in the world of classical music - and in general thank him for the great job he does as Prince to Denmark."

Joachim has commented:
"It's a very, very fine present which I was incredibly moved to receive. Truly... it's very generous."

The concert will mainly consists of classical pieces. But also Bryan Rice will perform and some of PH's poems will be read aloud by the actress Susse Wold.

- Good, I'm glad he is celebrated.
Joachim is not folksy, so to celebrate him with something akin to the way Frederik has been celebrated would be off the mark. This concert for feinsmeckers, if I may put it like that, is more suitable for Joachim.
If you are not folksy, and Joachim isn't, don't try and act the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom