General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 4: July 2014 - August 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joachim has talked about the sale of Schackenborg in an interview to the serious newspaper Jyllands Posten.

I'll see if I can get hold of a paper copy when we return to DK in a couple of days.

Prins Joachim taler ud om personligt nederlag: 'Der har været sagt og skrevet utrolig meget, som jeg ikke kan genkende' | BT Royale - www.bt.dk

He says: "It's crucial for me to tell my perception of the events, (*) because incredibly much has been said and written which I cannot recognize".

The family had not grown tired of Schackenborg and Southern Jutland, in fact it was a tough decision that took him ten years to make.
Economically speaking Schackenborg was sinking and not being able to change that was for Joachim a personal defeat. but it was "impossible" (quote) to reduce the debt in the manor.
A debt that was already there when he took over the manor in 1993.
Seen in hindsight he was too long about reaching that conclusion.
"It was a cold shower".

He adds that he sold the manor for the sake of his children. He does not believe he could allow himself to leave a manor to his children with such a debt.
Joachim emphasize that the decision had nothing to do with Southern Jutland and that Southern Jutland is still in their DNA.

The mayor of the town of Tønder, (located 3 Km from Schackenborg) Henning Frandsen says: "We still have a Prince and Princess who is very often in Southern Jutland. I do not see in any way that they have let us down in Southern Jutland".

(*) Joachim's Danish is extremely correct and I'll try convey that in my translation.

Now, I'm not saying that Joachim is straight up lying here, I just want to point out that what "has been said and written" (I'm gonna assume he's referring to the extensive tabloid coverage of the sale of Schackenborg) that he (eloquently) writes off as fabrications has merely been derived from the press release the DRF put out. He refuse that they sold Schackenborg because they wanted to move to Copenhagen (which is what the tabloids claimed – i.e. "what has been said and written") and excuse my :bang: but that's in direct conflict with what the actual press release about the sale said:

(rough translation) "The background for the establishment of the foundation is that operation of the castle with its accompanying agriculture is difficult to reconcile with T.R.H. Prince Joachim and Princess Marie's other activities as well as involvement in official duties and patronages. Furthermore, the couple wishes to move to the Copenhagen area due to family reasons."

So excuse my French but if he disagrees with the what people derive from the statement his own department of communications put out, perhaps next time he should match his expectations of the statements he put out with those of Lene Balleby before he then publicly goes out and indirectly berates the Danish media and public for making a perfectly logical conclusion to a pretty straightforward press release. I'm not arguing against the move – I can perfectly understand why they would want to come to Copenhagen – I'm arguing against the fact that he implies that the collective Danish press has treated him unfairly when in reality they have just based their articles on a statement I have to assume he must have approved before it was sent out.

Last edited:
Princess Marie is on the cover of Point de Vue Magazine this month Interview at Amalienborg Palace : "My Husband is a real Viking"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBzzTrmW0AA-CTI.jpg

The interview translated

https://princessmariescloset.blogspot.com/2017/06/princess-marie-gives-interview-to-point.html

This week, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie are on the cover of Graensen Magazine! The interview was made on May 5th, during the family's stay at Schakenborg Castle to celebrate Prince Henrik's eighth birthday.

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie give interview to Graensen Magazine

Last edited by a moderator:
Joachim has the image of being a pompous a**/snob in Denmark anyway so people probably dont really listen to what he says because they know he has his own truth.

Marie is very effective in playing the Sweet Marie card, I am always having a laugh when they are raving about how normal they are (but of course Joachim is known for insisting on his children being addressed with their correct titles ;))

I am glad to read that Marie gives priority to her kids, what else is she supposed to do? They hardly work and have servants to do the usual work at home what gives them the opportunity to live the easy life in Copenhagen, the arrangement of selling Schackenborg was a clever move in that respect.

They are lucky to be left alone by the media, I wonder how Joachim would deal with REAL scrutiny as we see with royals in other countries.

Thank, Eya. :flowers:

That's great interview. - And a brilliant translation.

:previous:
:previous:
Well, I'm not so sure a deep scrutiny will come out the way you described.
While Joachim personally is widely seen as aloof and arrogant, and by many also lazy, there is also a considerable understanding for him selling Schackenborg. - Judging from comments here and there.

Also keep in mind that the pendulum has shifted, Alexandra is no longer getting all the good press.

I think an unbiased in-depth portrait of Joachim may provide the public with a much more nuanced picture of him, except for those who choose not to listen, and he might actually come out with a better public image.
That he had connections helping him out when he sold (a modernized and renovated) Schackenborg and that he is now vert affluent is, IMO at least, no worse than the deals top-executives get when they are "replaced". Some of those deals are downright grotesque! At least Joachim worked to build up Schackenborg, while still doing a number of royal duties.

Frederik is often compared to Frederik IX. I think it's appropriate to compare Joachim to Christian X, who was a stiff, formal, aloof, proud and certainly not an easy man to like. Yet he ended up as a very respected and popular national symbol.
Joachim has many faults, but he is also a very interesting character. I should look very much forward to a portrait of him.

You're a godsend, Iceflower. :flowers:
I would very much like to have written about this event, based on the photos in BB this week, but my scanner is still down. :sad:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #23, 2017.
Written by the omnipresent Ulrik Ulriksen.

This is from the Heartland Festival at Egeskov Castle, which is owned by the Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille family. (I'll write more about the place in the residence thread at some point).
At lot of events takes place at Egeskov, the Heartland Festival is very much aimed at families, with live music and activities for children, including baking bread over a fire. (*) The whole thing is spiced up with good cuisine. Mostly for the adults though.
J&M went there on the last day of the festival, accompanied by their friend Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille. With them was also Joachim old classmate from Krebs School, Peter Steenstrup with his wife Henriette. Peter Steenstrup is one of Athena's godfathers. And he was indeed photographed playing backgammon with a very focused Athena. While our Marie played with her son.

While there they bumped into some of the Berleburgs. Alexandra and her Jefferson and their two children now aged 17 and 13. Neither parties knew the other was there.
Joachim explained: "It wasn't co-ordinated that we should be here with the Princess, but it's been a good day".
Marie: "We knew they were in Denmark. It's lovely to be together".
Joachim added: "It's a fantastic festival and an incredible good concept which offers much more than music. That's very well spotted. Really unique".
Marie: "It's a good idea and it's also a nice place to be with your children".

(*) I understand that in USA it's marshmallows you roast over the fire. Not sure about other countries. In DK, it's "snobrød = winding-bread". So called because it's basically white-bread dough which you wind around a stick and hold over the fire until it's done.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZfTvKKLZ-d4/U6h1JbNXM7I/AAAAAAAAX2Y/iOSRMfvJMt4/s1600/DSC_3242.JPG
It taste and not least smells like freshly baked white bread. - And if you add butter, or garlic butter or cheese on the bread, it's not only the children who will be gnawing the stick!
Here is how you apply the dough: http://sofies-verden.dk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/snobr%C3%B8dsvikling-e1470212856143.jpg
Every kindergarten with a minimum of self-respect has a place for a fire.
Great on a cold day: http://brobaekhus.weebly.com/uploads/2/1/5/6/21567058/1942784_orig.jpg
And a recipe: Snobrød (Campfire Bread) - The Family Cooks & The Family Dinner by Laurie David

Last edited:
:previous: That's awesome and now I want Joachim and Britain's Prince William to go on a lad's jolly!

Agree. Not bad. I think it captures her bubbling personality.

You are right, Iceflower. ?

I must be getting old. But then you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a different interview with the things the BT article focus on.... :whistling:
The Point de Vue interview is pretty comprehensive in regards to letting us get to know who our Marie and the most important people around her is.
The BT summary is pretty shallow.

So I've deleted my post and instead reread and enjoyed the translation of the interview.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #35, 2017.
Written by Henrik Salling.

Joachim has given an interview to the magazine [Et Cetera] where he talks a little about his life and the day to day life he has now.
The article provides a few samples.

The first time he (and Frederik) was on the job was on 2nd July 1980, where they were to baptize two ferries, Kronprins Frederik and Prins Joachim. (I've sailed on both of them). - "My parents had tried it a lot of times and said: Don't be afraid, you just swing it real hard. It's supposed to shatter, otherwise you just stand there and have to try again and again. It worked - and everything was beautiful. But the others were just around me, it was three seconds you had to stand alone in focus and say: I name you. And then you were back in the flock".

"I'm a history-nerd and love to suck in historical knowledge and love to spread it, not least to my children". So when the drive down through Germany to Switzerland or France, the children are presented with facts about the places they drive through and give them little historical tasks for them to put together.

The day to day starts like this: "Up early, warm oat-porridge for the kids, prepare the lunch box, off to school, and from there the day starts. An it can be so different. It can be in ordinary casual clothes like today, it can be in uniform and down to Kastellet (military HQ), it can be a speech or all dressed down at the office with paper work - but from we get up to the children have been send to school, we run a standard day which is comparable to 95% of the Danish population.
One difference is that our working week can be very long - and often during weekends, because many of our events are placed there. We don't have a guarantee for a weekend. (*) And we try and compensate for that - both in regards to our children and ourselves. The thing about un-plugging for 48 hours is important - and we don't necessarily have that luxury. So when we finally have a weekend where we can see that there are two free days the question is: Are we going somewhere with the kids - or do we rather need a home-weekend on the couch with a laptop more or less all the time. We literally pull the plug - and don't even want to be social with our friends - because we need to know what a weekend is".

(*) Well, hallelujah, nor have we!

mange tak Muhler! I like the detail that HRH Prince Joachim is a history 'nerd'; I would think most of us readers of Royal Forums are!

I'm not sure what to make of his "working on the weekends" comment." It sounded a little out of touch. Otherwise it was interesting to get a sense of what he does on a day to day basis.
Thanks, Muhler!

https://www.mx.dk/nyheder/danmark/s...rce=bt.dk&utm_campaign=pos_5&utm_medium=front

The company The 5 Farms, which Joachim is a part of (*) has bought an online company landmad.dk (farmfood.dk) that was on the verge of going bankrupt. While the idea behind the company (supplying fresh produce from farms to subscribing consumers) was sound the funds were lacking, so Joachim and his associates have decided to keep the management.

(*) Also after the sale of Schackenborg, because Joachim still owns a number of farms in Southern Jutland and a share in the 5 Farms.

Reactions: eya
Tonight TV2 aired a 55 minutes personal portrait of Joachim, in which he spoke about his feelings and view on both his own standing in the public eye.
The divorce, the sale of Schackenborg, his current work for the DRF and the military, Marie and raising the children.

It was as could be expected a pretty frank portrait.
Joachim is very much his mother's son, in the sense of being articulated and being a private person, a reserved person if you like.
While Frederik is uncomfortable when in the limelight, Joachim is uncomfortable about being himself. He clearly prefers to maintain a facade, that keep a distance to people to the functions he undertakes.
We were confirmed in the view that he is a confident and very good public speaker.
His Danish is very correct, bordering on being formal actually. - In a sense that's the impression I have of Mary too. I.e. that she speaks a very correct English when on the job. (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

We got a good glimpse into J&M's new home. (I like the furnishing!) We learned that Joachim and Marie speaks French between themselves when in private and that the language at home is a mix of French and Danish. Our Marie speaks French to her children, (including calling Henrik, Henri) and they respond mostly in Danish.
A little detail: bette Henrik's eyes are turning brown.
He is a very quiet boy, while Athena is a very charming girl. No wonder she and Josephine hit it off!

We learned about the thoughts of a man, a proud man, a man who is very well aware of his own and his family's position, for good or worse, who have suffered two major defeats in life.
The first was his divorce from Alexandra, which really knocked him out. He had a few years in darkness - before Marie came along and lifted him up again. It is clear to me that he feels he owes his wife a lot! And as such he worships his wife.
It was also a time, where he learned who his true friends were - and they were few. He has clearly stayed true to those friends ever since.

The second was the sale of Schackenborg. He admitted clearly that it was very much about the economy. He would leave a huge burden to his children - who are destined to fend on their own in the future. I.e. there don't seem to be any plans for them remaining active within the DRF.
So the sale was the better option in regards to the future. - He also repeated the old argument about the life on Schackenborg not being compatible with the DRF-jobs at the same time. Whether he believes that himself, or choose to believe that is IMO an interesting question.
But it was a huge personal defeat.

He's a loving father, but the foot is clearly down! The children are told what is go and what is a no-go. That includes "nudging" Athena into picking a toy animal in less garish colors, even if she was very much in love with a pink seal... - which dad thought was ugly. Dad won...
It also includes telling Henrik to take his hands out of his pocket when about to cut a ribbon.
We also saw a dad who was beaming with pride when his oldest got his drivers license. A dad who was moved to tears when Felix was confirmed.
A dad who is a total car-nut.
A husband who was bursting with pride when his wife got the Legion of Honor by the French ambassador.

It was clear that he is very well aware that he far from being popular. It is clear that he is well aware and that he is often annoyed at what is said and written about him.
Also in regards to the relationship between him and his brother. They are "bad boys" when together, with a lot of laughter. But they are not together very often. He did however state that it is possible, especially for siblings, to be close without having to be physically close.

In short this was probably as close a portrait as we will ever get from Joachim. And most we had to read between the lines.
But we didn't see all. He opened some windows for us to have a glimpse inside, but we sure didn't get the big tour of the house. Joachim is way too private a man for that.

Joachim is a man I respect a lot and to a considerably extent can mirror myself in, in certain aspects that is. In other aspects I can better mirror myself in Frederik. He is a fascinating, somewhat old-fashioned man perhaps, with a lot of personal nuances.
I think he and I could have a good conversation, perhaps share a beer, but we would not become friends. We would (hopefully) respect each other and probably agree on many things, but we would not be friends.

The timing of this portrait is I think off. Joachim ought to have stepped up his workload, being seen around more, doing more in public - then this portrait should have been shown. As it is people can with considerable justification think this is aimed more to correct his public image rather than based in a sincere wish in telling the public about himself.

The reactions and comments are coming in. I don't think it will be possible to view this portrait outside DK, not until someone uploads it on YouTube.
For Danish speakers this is a must-see, for everybody else it's a can-see.

?

And thanks to you, Eya, for the clips.
I read the comments. They are all positive, which is to be expected on a DRF-site of course. But there are many of them! And as I said very positive.

I'm not sure what to make of his "working on the weekends" comment." It sounded a little out of touch. Otherwise it was interesting to get a sense of what he does on a day to day basis.
Thanks, Muhler!

He says most of their events are on weekends, that means that despite attending weekday events, which are I imagine all right because the kids are at school, they still can't have a guarantee that weekends are free (which is a little less ok because they can't have full family days). It might not seem much to attend an event or two on weekends but coupled with the expectations of guests, the need to charm people, etc., socializing for work on weekends is still very, very much work. Most diplomats posted abroad and who get invited to community events on weekends have said the same thing.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-joac...saedvanligt-skridt-nogen-vil-synes-det-er-for

Here is a comment from the historian Lars Hovbakke Sørensen.

He believes Joachim should find a topic, which is his own, like the military or focusing on regions outside Copenhagen. - Things he does do now, but which doesn't get that much coverage. Certainly the major Copenhagener papers don't cover much outside Copenhagen IMO.
"There is no doubt that it would make Prince Joachim much more popular among the people, if he finds an area, that is his, which he can cultivate and which makes him stand out from the rest in the DRF".
(I fully agree with that).

Lars Hovbakke does not believe this documentary will go all the way for Joachim:
"When the Queen give her New Year speeches, she never talks about herself but instead talk about general views about the society. We don't see that from Prince Joachim in the documentary and that is so to speak that could make him more relevant". (Yes, I think that argument is silly too. This was a personal portrait, not a New Year speech).

That is however something Mary has done, says Lars Hovbakke. She has found a number of topics that are hers and make her stand out from both her husband but also the rest of the DRF.

"It's noticiable that the DRF opens up in this was. Some will probably find that really good, while others believe we are getting too close. But it's clearly the modern version of the DRF we are seeing here".

More from BB:
First a gallery: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/se-billederne-afslappet-prins-joachim-med-sine-boern

Joachim emphasized in the docu that there is no such thing as half-siblings in his family. Henrik and Athena have two older "full" brothers.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prins-joachim-en-kaerlig-familiefar

The director behind the portrait. Maya Albana explains how it was to meet Joachim in this way, for six months.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...aet-i-oejenhoejde-med-en-aerlig-prins-joachim
"I was most surprised in how the Prince has fully accepted his own role within the DRF. The roles are clear in a royal house that goes back more than a thousand years and the identity was not up for discussion. Joachim has very much accepted that he is number two. Something that in a normal family would lead to sibling-jealousy.
He and I are about the same age, but is rounded by a totally different environment than mine. But there are common grounds between all of us. He is also someone's parents, someone's beloved, someone's ex, someone's child. It was those fields I looked for for the programme".

It was very important for Joachim to talk about the sale of Schackenborg.
"It took a lot of courage and honesty, but also generosity in order to in that way to pour out of his story. Most of us would like to tell about our successes, but it takes guts in that way to talk about your failures".

The way she worked with Joachim was:
"I tried to meet him eye to eye, as well as I could, him being a Prince".

-----------------

Added: A review from Berlingske, which I may return to later:
https://www.b.dk/kultur/prins-joachim-fortaeller-om-at-turde-leve-igen-efter-moerke-aar

Last edited:
Thanks Muhler! Was there a special reason for this portrait? His 50th birthday would have been a logical moment (in 2 years time), so I wonder what the 'occasion' was.

What topic(s) would you consider Joachim takes on? IMO that would be hugely beneficial for both Joachim (and the same for Marie - with her own topic(s)) and the cause they decide to support.

Last edited:
The title of the docu is "The other brother", so it's to some extent a portrait of one of the closest persons around Frederik, who turns 50 next year, and that is going to be marked big time!
So that is one reason.
Another is, I'm sure, an attempt to correct Joachim's bad image.

Many don't like Joachim as a person, he is not folksy like Frederik and comes across as arrogant. It doesn't help that he is anything but open about himself and that he clearly is a very intelligent man. - (Journalists in particular don't like that.)
He is a formal man in a country where being informal, sometimes being as informal as possible, is the norm.

Here he got an opportunity to talk about his feelings, also his feelings about the criticism he has got, not least after the sale of Schackenborg. He presented his view as well as himself.
He is also fully aware that he is anything but folksy and explain that that is simply how he is.
- And hopefully he learned that it doesn't hurt to be open.

There will of course always be people who will not even try to look beyond their prejudices, people who have decided they don't like Joachim and for those watching this docu will be a waste of time.

As for the second part of your question. I think Joachim could very well focus on veterans. He may not necessarily have the sae rapport with soldiers and veterans as Frederik, or as we have seen recently here in DK, with Harry, because Joachim is an officer before he is one of the "comrades in arms".
But he will, due to being very articulate and through his many connections with those who really matter behind the scenes, be able to lend a voice to the soldiers and veterans, and he will better be able to travel to hot spots than Frederik. - If Joachim is killed it's bad! If Frederik or Mary is killed it's very bad!!
So that is very much a field he could take on.
But Joachim is already being appreciated for the work is currently doing outside Copenhagen. Work that is basically only covered by one national paper as well as the regional papers. The Copenhagener papers tend not to cover events outside Copenhagen, and they include four out of five of the most important national papers.

Marie really doesn't have to do that much. She has IMO carved her own niche within the DRF and being a youngish attractive woman, who wear dresses..., she gets a good coverage.

--------------

ADDED: In this clip Joachim directly address the rumors that he and Frederik should have fallen out:
http://underholdning.tv2.dk/royale/...ins-joachim-ud-om-sit-og-kronprinsens-forhold
If you leave it on, there are other short clips coming on automatically.

Last edited:
Thank you for the summaries Muhler.
I too think the timing of the documentary is a little off. An increase in workload after moving to Copenhagen has not happened.
Indeed he looks very at peace with Marie. Good to see. That he sees no half siblings in his children is great. The young ones seem to adore their big brothers. I didn't like how they were seperated during the baptisms of Henrik and Athena. But it's clear they love their big brothers.
And I like what he says about his relationship to his brother Frederik.

It seems that Prince Joachim sells and his villa in South France

"Take a look at Prince Joachim's French Dreamfire, now out for sale.

Do you have a few million over and long for southern France perhaps it may be an idea to buy Prince Joachim and Princess Marie's beautiful house in Montauroux.

The house now available to the broker Wretman Estate has a call price of 1 890 000 €. On the website, the house is described as a unique villa within walking distance of the charming village of Montauroux. Here are two large master-bedrooms with their own toilets, as well as three bedrooms to allow you to fit the entire thick family.,"

https://www.svenskdam.se/2017/12/nu-kan-du-kopa-prinsens-franska-villa/

http://www.wretmanestate.com/sv/kopa/Försäljning-Villa-7-rooms-Montauroux-83440-844659#2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom