The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #401  
Old 07-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Tarlita's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: small town near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,026
I don't see a problem with this. As Joachim and Marie will be there for the summer and mingling with the locals as they always did before. Everyone has to make changes for the better for logistics and financial reasons. I expect this couple will take on more royal duties from his ageing parents. I wish them well with their new abode and hope it all works out well for the children as well.
__________________

  #402  
Old 07-03-2014, 11:15 AM
nwinther's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Varde, Denmark
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Perhaps they simply got bored with living way out in the country?

Many people prefer city life where there is much more to do; it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of the couple craved more excitement.
And while that may be well and true, I personally find it as a royal obligation to represent the whole country, and be close not only to the copenhageners but to other parts of the realm as well.

That's "tough noogies" IMO, and one of the reasons the danes happily pay for the upkeep of the royal family.
It hasn't reduced my support for the royal family, but I must expess my deep disappointment and hope that they somehow rectify this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
I personally don't see a problem with J+M living in Copenhagen permanently (they spent a lot of time there anyhow). It's not as if the Regent couple and CP couple are only doing engagements in Cph. They are spreading out and J+M will too. And for the children (and J+M) it will be nicer to live near the rest of the family.
But there's a huge difference between living in a community and occationally visiting a community - the community here being the entire Jutland peninsula.

TRF spends a couple of weeks at Gråsten every year, the same with Marselisborg and Trend is almost never used.
I don't suspect Schackenborg to be used any more than Gråsten and then "only" by J&M.

Remember, there's a bigger picture here than the convenience of not having to travel. Fair enough to turn it over to a foundation - but keep living there, for goodness sake.
It's not a random family - it's the ROYAL family and the ONLY part of the royal family that has anyting resembling an abode in Denmark outside greater Copenhagen.
__________________

  #403  
Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 AM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,676
Wasn't this one of the problems Joachim had with alexandr? She wanted to live In the city?
__________________
Ashelen
  #404  
Old 07-03-2014, 11:30 AM
nwinther's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Varde, Denmark
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
Wasn't this one of the problems Joachim had with alexandr? She wanted to live In the city?
Yes that has been rumored. Something else was wrong, I'm sure.

However, if that was the only problem there would be ways of accomodating that particular need. Let Marie (then Alexandra) keep an apartment in Copenhagen, hell they can even spend most of the year there.
But keep up appearances and insist on getting your mail in Møgeltønder.
Danes can be very accomodating and understanding in that regard - but this move effectively severs the ties that had been forged with the jutes regarding locality, respect and familarity. And that, to danes in general and jutes in particular, is an invaluable currency and was a boon to the Royal Family as a whole.
It made us "cope" (sorry if I sound like a spoiled child) with the fact that the copenhageners got the head of the royal family and even the crown prince couple, leaving us the junior branch of the family.
Now we have nothing but the occational visit at christmas and the odd spotting of a court car near Trend.
  #405  
Old 07-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: xxx, Finland
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinther View Post
It made us "cope" (sorry if I sound like a spoiled child) with the fact that the copenhageners got the head of the royal family and even the crown prince couple, leaving us the junior branch of the family.
Now we have nothing but the occational visit at christmas and the odd spotting of a court car near Trend.
I've gotten the impression, could be wrong of course, that the CP couple are the ones spending most time at the cabin in Trend. For all we know, they could be there at the moment. It seems to be a very private place and we never get to see photos from their stay.

A couple of days ago, I read an article in a Danish paper. Some expert (or something) thought, that now that Joachim and Marie move to Copenhagen, Frederik and Mary "should" start to spend a couple of months at Gråsten every summer, to make up for J&M moving from Jylland.

Frederik and Mary sure have their holidays planned for the rest of their lives...
  #406  
Old 07-03-2014, 12:25 PM
nwinther's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Varde, Denmark
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I've gotten the impression, could be wrong of course, that the CP couple are the ones spending most time at the cabin in Trend. For all we know, they could be there at the moment.
The cabin was abandoned for a long time in the 90's and after Mary entered the stage, a few new years parties etc. has been held there.

However, it is not a place where the RF spend weeks and weeks, let alone live.
Schackenborg was a home, a place of residence, on a permanent basis.

Only Amalienborg, Gråsten and at times Fredensborg has had a similar status (and Sorgenfri, I suppose).

With the passing of Queen Ingrid, Gråsten is left to it's own devices with the exception of a fortnight in the summer, and Fredensborg is a summer residence also (although for much longer and much more systematically).

Marselisborg is housing the Christmas tree (and the CP couple has abandoned even that tradition) and little else.

The CP couple especially seems evermore committed to Copenhagen and other nations entirely, and only visits other places in Denmark for a few hours and rarely engages with the locals the way Joachim did in Møgeltønder.

The tradition of having Ingrid in Gråsten was sort of kept up by Joachim in Møgeltønder, even emphasized it as he was young, active and had small children and a charming princess - now it's Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Copenhagen.

And the major part of Danes actually know their neighbours. Only in Copenhagen (an exaggeration, I know) can you remain anonymous and that is not the "Danish way" - the RF having a representative engaging in that "Danish way" made up for a lot throughout the small cities and towns.
  #407  
Old 07-03-2014, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinther View Post
The cabin was abandoned for a long time in the 90's and after Mary entered the stage, a few new years parties etc. has been held there.
It looks to me that Frederik and Mary do spend more time in Trend. The past birthdays of Christian and Isabella come to mind. (or maybe im confsuing the locations). Dont they spend their summers in Denmark somewhere (sorry im forgetting the names)

But back to Joachim and Marie. Would they be living in the city in a "normal" house like Alexandra or Sorgenfri (where Elizabeth moved into)?

sorry if im confusing the locations
  #408  
Old 07-04-2014, 04:52 AM
nwinther's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Varde, Denmark
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
It looks to me that Frederik and Mary do spend more time in Trend. The past birthdays of Christian and Isabella come to mind. (or maybe im confsuing the locations). Dont they spend their summers in Denmark somewhere (sorry im forgetting the names)

But back to Joachim and Marie. Would they be living in the city in a "normal" house like Alexandra or Sorgenfri (where Elizabeth moved into)?

sorry if im confusing the locations
It seems they are looking for a large villa like Alexandra and Martin.

Personally I'd prefer it if they chose Sorgenfri or another of the palaces as their residence since they can't bear to stay at Schackenborg, but I suppose one of the reasons of moving is getting away from the castle-lifestyle.
  #409  
Old 07-04-2014, 11:01 AM
dbarn67's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BROOKLYN, United States
Posts: 3,982
Joachim and Marie along with Countess Alexandra, Martin and Prince Felix arrive at Prince Nikolai's school for his last day before summer vacation.

http://imageshack.com/a/img855/9511/zrym.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img841/5250/nwe6s.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img853/8408/lpyh.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img840/1644/3q6s.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img843/9459/ykh2d.jpg
  #410  
Old 07-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Fox's Avatar
Fox Fox is offline
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 47
Joachim and Marie could buy Princess Elizabeths house.

She is lacking money and therefor had to put it up for sale some month ago.
  #411  
Old 07-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Joachim and Marie could buy Princess Elizabeths house.

She is lacking money and therefor had to put it up for sale some month ago.
The Prince has placed 13 million DKK (some 1,75 million Euro) in the foundation. I wonder if he has money left to buy Sorgenfri, which has quite a prize tag.
  #412  
Old 07-04-2014, 02:05 PM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,676
I think beside the big price tag to keep their place in Jutland it's the education later on for the kids n to remain closer to the older kids, honest I'm acuity g URL I would prefer to live in Copenhagen or very close to it so I can understand them wanted to move there!!!! But as royal family support by the tax payers they should to do the effort to visit the rest of the cities more often n spend time with the locals
__________________
Ashelen
  #413  
Old 07-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Fox's Avatar
Fox Fox is offline
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 47
The only thing that has changed in this aspect, is The eldest going to bording school.
  #414  
Old 07-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,414
Iirc, they have always spent a lot of time at Kopenhagen, and the little ones switched between kindergarten there and in Mogeltonder. But as soon as Henrik goes to school, that won't work anymore. They must decide for one school anyway.

And then the up-keep for Schackenborg must be enormous. Those old houses constantly need repair in one place or another. And the heating costs are usually gigantic. The farm probably isn't profitable enough to provide for all that. But I don't know enough about finance to understand how a foundation would solve that problem, as the castle would still have to be up-kept.
  #415  
Old 07-04-2014, 06:04 PM
nwinther's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Varde, Denmark
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Prince has placed 13 million DKK (some 1,75 million Euro) in the foundation. I wonder if he has money left to buy Sorgenfri, which has quite a prize tag.
Experts estimate that he has assets left round Schackenborg worth at least 110mio DKK (12 mio. euro).

I would like it if more palaces were kept within the family. It adds something to a place that someone - the owner - lives there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
I think beside the big price tag to keep their place in Jutland it's the education later on for the kids n to remain closer to the older kids, honest I'm acuity g URL I would prefer to live in Copenhagen or very close to it so I can understand them wanted to move there!!!! But as royal family support by the tax payers they should to do the effort to visit the rest of the cities more often n spend time with the locals
Not visit. LIVE!
  #416  
Old 07-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Fox's Avatar
Fox Fox is offline
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Iirc, they have always spent a lot of time at Kopenhagen, and the little ones switched between kindergarten there and in Mogeltonder. But as soon as Henrik goes to school, that won't work anymore. They must decide for one school anyway.

And then the up-keep for Schackenborg must be enormous. Those old houses constantly need repair in one place or another. And the heating costs are usually gigantic. The farm probably isn't profitable enough to provide for all that. But I don't know enough about finance to understand how a foundation would solve that problem, as the castle would still have to be up-kept.
There is big challenges for the danish nobility about repairs and maintanence.

I can mention Egeskov that has chosen to open up for guests.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A7x9U...upxMG19LpJuro-

That is truly an amazing place.

While par example Constantinsborg, Frijsenborg, Gyllingnæs, and Wedellsborg,are succesfully run as estates.
  #417  
Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 4,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
There is big challenges for the danish nobility about repairs and maintanence.

I can mention Egeskov that has chosen to open up for guests.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A7x9U...upxMG19LpJuro-

That is truly an amazing place.

While par example Constantinsborg, Frijsenborg, Gyllingnæs, and Wedellsborg,are succesfully run as estates.
I have seen a couple of TV interviews and documentaries of German nobles explaining how difficult it is to keep these old buildings in good repair. The costs are immense and a lot of dedication, resourcefulness and creativity is needed to keep them going. So I guess it's the same in Denmark and everywhere else.

Since Schackenborg is a private estate, the maintenance must be paid from the proceeds from the estate. On the other hand some solutions like opening for visitors or frequent cultural events are impossible due to Prince Joachim's royal status.

And I do understand completely that it is a loss for the region of Jutland to have them move out. It must have been a difficult decision for J & M.
  #418  
Old 07-05-2014, 05:21 PM
nwinther's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Varde, Denmark
Posts: 203
Afaik, Schackenborg is a listed building. Some of the upkeep is paid for by the government.
  #419  
Old 07-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 5,732
Another article on Joachim's move.
it seems his image has taken a hit
Danskerne kede af slot-salg: Det var dumt, Joachim! - Nyheder | www.bt.dk
  #420  
Old 07-11-2014, 05:53 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,557
http://www.herognu.com/upload/Her%20...28_forside.jpg
Apparently J&M bought a house for 58 Mio DKK, that's about 8 Mio Euros. Given that Joachim supposedly gave up Schackenborg because of debt, where does he have that amount of money from?
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
general news of prince joachim, general news of princess marie, general news thread, prince joachim, prince joachim and princess marie, princess marie, princess marie at fashion shows


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 4: July 2014 - iceflower Prince Joachim, Princess Marie and Family 292 11-05-2016 09:55 AM
General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 12: August 2013 - July 2014 dazzling Current Events Archive 601 07-17-2014 03:04 AM
Prince Joachim & Princess Marie visit Lyon, France: January 24-25, 2011 dazzling Prince Joachim, Princess Marie and Family 34 01-28-2011 06:35 AM
General News about Joachim, Marie and Family 2: August 2009 - January 2011 dazzling Current Events Archive 401 01-08-2011 01:25 AM
General News about Joachim, Marie and Family 1: December 2007 - August 2009 isabelle 53 Current Events Archive 399 08-17-2009 04:08 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events danish calendar duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece hereditary grand duchess stéphanie's fashion & style ingrid alexandra kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy movies new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit royal fashion september 2016 sheikha moza state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises