General News about Joachim, Marie and Family 2: August 2009 - January 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Enough said.

Being impartial I will just be the messenger of latest news. News about Joachim.

Ekstra Bladet - Prins Joachim: rets nar 2010?

And you are being impartial by quoting Ekstra Bladet... :ROFLMAO:

Ekstra Bladet is a tabloid, which very often use provocative journalism and they also tend to twist facts as such the paper is hardly the most credible source of information.
Among Ekstra Bladet's favourite victimes is the DRF.
This time Joachim, being labelled Fool of the Year for insisting that a TV2 reporter use formal you, when addressing him, despite that the reporter continued using informal you.

The TV2 reporter is clearly in the wrong here. If someone wish you to address them with last name and/or formal you, you respect that whether you like it or not. Period!
If you don't then you are rude, provocative, bad mannered and you look silly.
The DRF is the first family in DK and you show them respect by addressing them in the proper manner. - You salute the rank, not the man.

I for one perfectly understand and sympathise with Joachim. The reporter was deliberatly being provocative.

And judging from the comments is not like they are completely sympathetic towards the journalist.

In a recent poll in DK, journalists were considered among those people had least confidence in. No wonder!

Now, having done your job for you, Benedikte, perhaps you would care to explain to me, and slowly, what the point was with posting this link?

I have read that Joachim is thought of as aggorant by some of the Danes, perhaps something like this is why.
Could the Danes please let us know if it is correct, that he is thought of that way.

Yes, quite a few consider him arrogant. Others, like myself, consider him regal.

He is very competent and very good at representing.
However he he is far from being as popular as Frederik and he certainly isn't that folksy.
In many ways he can be compared to QMII, who can be a bit stand off-ish. Where Prince Henrik is perhaps more easy going. And in that respect can be compared to Frederik.

That depends on how you look at them.

Well this tread is about Marie and I'm writing about Marie in an objective way.

I'm only stating facts.

{edit}

Quote:
Prince Joachim is a wonderful person. He is warm, sweet and loving. He has been through a hard time with many difficult things, but he is a very honest and patient person and I love him very much.

A naive Marie also noted to a journalist from Ekstra Bladet, when asked about her relationship to the Prince:
Quote:
EB: Are you in love?
M: I love him very much but that I think is something private and something I want to tell him myself.

EB: Have you told him that you love him?
M: No I have not said it yet, we don't talk like that yet.

On top of that there has been bad press about her.

Ekstra Bladet, reliable as always and they would never dream about twisting what people say, nor lure them into a trap.

Yes, I wasn't impressed about Marie to start with either. I considered her naive as well and dismissed her as a fling of Joachim.

Well, she learned and she hung on, despite the rather brutal baptism of fire she got.

Now I've grown to genuinely like her and respect her.
She's honest and open. When you see Marie, you see what she is. There is no Marie hidden away behind a mask. What you see is what you get.
That's being genuine and that's not the worst label you can get.
Being naive is not the same thing as being uneducated or unintelligent. The universities are full of naive people.

I like Marie's character, I like and respect her as a person and for her personality.
People's characters are in my eyes worth much more than their CVs, degrees or grades.

Last edited:
And above all, Princess Marie is happy, she has made Prince Joachim happy again and together they have created at family a Shackenborg with little Prince Henrik and which Nikolai and Felix are also a part of.
Both Prince Joachim and Princess Marie are a happy team, both in work, sports and family life.
In the end, that's all that matters!

Last edited:
Princess Marie is making her mark on the Danish nation, more and more of the press is positive, you can see her in more and more roles representing the DRF, they will never be the first royal couple, but they are unique in their own way.
It's funny though that Joachim being into royal protocol should be the twice married and have a sort of more 21st century family, sharing custody, double sets of grandparents etc. Whilst I think Mary and Fred the more folksy couple, are never likely to divorce, not b/c they are a more perfect couple, but b/c they see preserving their marital bliss a matter of state and not only for them privately...not saying that they are not happy

Well...there's already been a divorce in the family. And based on how the DRF has conducted themselves, they have provided a blue print of how a divorced royal couple can share a family life. I don't think you can say that Prince Joachim doesn't also see as preserving his second marriage as one of state. I don't think he would like a second failed marriage, with a second wife being supported by the state as his first wife is still being supported. I don't think that the Danes would look too kindly on that. So it is just as important for Prince Joachim that his second marriage doesn't fail either.
At least the current crop of CP Couples got married at mature ages and have chosen well matched partners. That bodes well for the marriages, I think.
Getting back to Joachim...remember, he married Marie at 39 years old. So obviously, he was far more mature than the 26 years at which he married Alexandra.
And it does appear to me that Marie's personality is a far better match for Joachim, and that he is obviously now very happy with his life.

Last edited:
Muhler, thanks for letting us know what was in the article! I'm leery of entering these articles into a tranlator.

Benedikte, the interview that you posted with Marie...was that recent? It seems strange that at this point in time she wouldn't have told him that she loves him.

That interview was from 2007 I think. But I think that the interview is moot. The fact is, Joachim and Marie are now married and have a family. The past is the past.

However he he is far from being as popular as Frederik and he certainly isn't that folksy.
In many ways he can be compared to QMII, who can be a bit stand off-ish. Where Prince Henrik is perhaps more easy going

It's interesting to me, Muhler, to hear you compare Prince Joachim to QMII. I agree that they do seem a lot alike in many ways, at least so far as we can tell not knowing them personally, but I've always had the impression that the queen is well loved, in addition to being respected, by the Danes. Certainly I would say she's much more popular than her more easy going husband. To me, rather than being stand offish, QMII at times seems a bit shy and even awkward, although with a very strong personality and almost formidable intellect to compensate.

I wonder if it isn't Joachim and his father who are more alike in certain ways that get them into trouble as far as public relations go. Frederik and the Queen seem to wear their ranks easily to me - perhaps they can afford to be more laid back because they're the monarch and the future monarch. Joachim and Henrik have always been 'just' the queen's consort or just the second son, and I imagine what comes across as arrogance, (in Joachim), and temper tantrums, (in Henrik), might be, at heart, insecurity.

Muhler, thanks for letting us know what was in the article! I'm leery of entering these articles into a tranlator.

Benedikte, the interview that you posted with Marie...was that recent? It seems strange that at this point in time she wouldn't have told him that she loves him.

Sorry, I failed to mention that.
The article was written right after it became known that Joachim had a relationship with Marie.

It's interesting to me, Muhler, to hear you compare Prince Joachim to QMII. I agree that they do seem a lot alike in many ways, at least so far as we can tell not knowing them personally, but I've always had the impression that the queen is well loved, in addition to being respected, by the Danes. Certainly I would say she's much more popular than her more easy going husband. To me, rather than being stand offish, QMII at times seems a bit shy and even awkward, although with a very strong personality and almost formidable intellect to compensate.

Yes, the Queen is indeed personally very much liked. But she is not folksy and has never been folksy. And I agree, that is probably due to her being shy and akward. While Henrik on a personal basis appear to very easy going. With QMII you are also standing in front of a Majesty, and you are rarely in doubt about that! Hence my reference to being stand offish, if people become too familiar. - And she is, as you point ,out very intelligent, which many reporters have experienced first hand, when they've said something particularly silly....
I'd say QMII is admired, respected, well liked and aknowledged more than she is loved. Love is, in my eyes at least, a very strong word.
When I compare QMII and Joachim I see two very intelligent people who are also very competent at being royals. They are both brilliant at representing.
The difference is that Joachim is confident in the public glaze, while QMII, at least for many years, was uncomfortable. - As is Frederik.

Joachim is a very formal man, a very correct man, a very conservative man. But over the years I've learned more and more about his personal character. And the impression I have now, is that he is a genuinely good man. That is not the worst thing to say about any man.
He has changed somewhat since Marie entered his life. As QMII put: "And Spring entered your mind again (Joachim)". To see Joachim cry at his wedding, was something that took not only me but also the commentators completely by surprise.

Marie will in my opinion never be a threat to Mary. I doubt very much she would even wish to be in Mary's shoes. They are very different persons.
I have compared Marie to a younger sister. Someone you tease (hence: la Marie etc.), have fun with and wish to protect.
And Mary to a much older sister. Someone you respect and like and even look up to. But you don't tease her. Not in the same way. - This subjective view may not make much sense to you, but it really is difficult to explain how I feel about Mary and Marie.

Last edited:

I wonder if it isn't Joachim and his father who are more alike in certain ways that get them into trouble as far as public relations go. Frederik and the Queen seem to wear their ranks easily to me - perhaps they can afford to be more laid back because they're the monarch and the future monarch. Joachim and Henrik have always been 'just' the queen's consort or just the second son, and I imagine what comes across as arrogance, (in Joachim), and temper tantrums, (in Henrik), might be, at heart, insecurity.

I agree :flowers:

Prince Henrik has had temper tantrums about being number 2 and not 3. I don't think anyone was able to understand his odd behavior or his complaints.

And Joachim IMO just make a fool of himself because he wants to be adressed as a formel "you".

IMO he is embarassing himself insisting to be adressed with a formel "you", especially when you think of the scandals 6 years ago when he at a regularly basis was chasing girls at the age of 16 and 17. In the school nearby it was the topic on mondays who had been princess in the weekend. He must have been 37 or so himself.

Kongehuset

PRINS JOACHIM: PINLIG DAMEJAGT - - SE og HØR

I agree :flowers:

Prince Henrik has had temper tantrums about being number 2 and not 3. I don't think anyone was able to understand his odd behavior or his complaints.

And Joachim IMO just make a fool of himself because he wants to be adressed as a formel "you".

IMO he is embarassing himself insisting to be adressed with a formel "you", especially when you think of the scandals 6 years ago when he at a regularly basis was chasing girls at the age of 16 and 17. In the school nearby it was the topic on mondays who had been princess in the weekend. He must have been 37 or so himself.

Kongehuset

PRINS JOACHIM: PINLIG DAMEJAGT - - SE og HØR

Oh yes, Se & Hør. - Se & Hør used to be the best magazine about royals and celebs in DK. Because they used to respect those they wrote about. In return they got lots of exclusives, interviews and private photo ops. - No longer.
The best they can hope for now is not being sued when they write about celebs. No more interviews, no more exclusives. - Except from the desperate reality show participant, who will do anything for any publicity.
So what is left? Unsubstanciated rumours and stories from anonymous sources.

You fail to mention that these stories surfaced after the separation, when Joachim was seen as the villain and while he was going through what was probably the most serious crisis of his life.
Alexandra got a mentioning too in Se & Hør, remember? She also went to night clubs, remember?
I would have gone on the odd binge as well, if I had been in Joachim's shoes.

Now, there were stories that he danced and flirted with young girls. (The age of concent in DK is fifteen). There are no stories that he actually took them anywhere. - And is it concievable that some of these girls might have walked up to Joachim themselves and flirted with him? Voluntarily? Without pressure? Not being coerced? No shotgun in the back?

Whatever happened, happened in the past. Everybody go through a crisis several times during their lives. Fortunately most come out on top afterwards. Are you going to point your finger at a person in that situation?
Have you never been through a crisis in your life? Have you never made mistakes? Have you never done something foolish?

Some people tend to forget that royals are human beings as well. That they have faults and that they sometimes react like human beings.

When you point you finger at a man in a personal crisis, remember that three fingers are pointing back on you.

Now, you also say Joachim is a fool for insiting on being addressed with formal you.
Would you address QMII with informal you?

There are three secondary figures in Princess Marie's crest, which are hearts with a fleur de lys cut into them. That is the combination of the heart, which is a Danish symbol (***) and the fleur de lys, which is a French symbol. Beside that there is an attribute for the Virgin Mary, which refer to the christian name of the Princess.

I believe the reference to Marie's name is the fleur-de-lys. Correct me if I'm wrong but in catholic tradition the lily is associated with the Virgin Mary.

Fleur-de-lis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Symbols and Attributes of the Virgin Mary

If I'm not terribly wrong, the heraldic roses in Crown Princess Mary's crest were a reference to her name as roses are a symbol of Virgin Mary too.

Oh yes, Se & Hør. - Se & Hør used to be the best magazine about royals and celebs in DK. Because they used to respect those they wrote about. In return they got lots of exclusives, interviews and private photo ops. - No longer.
The best they can hope for now is not being sued when they write about celebs. No more interviews, no more exclusives. - Except from the desperate reality show participant, who will do anything for any publicity.
So what is left? Unsubstanciated rumours and stories from anonymous sources.

You fail to mention that these stories surfaced after the separation, when Joachim was seen as the villain and while he was going through what was probably the most serious crisis of his life.
Alexandra got a mentioning too in Se & Hør, remember? She also went to night clubs, remember?
I would have gone on the odd binge as well, if I had been in Joachim's shoes.

Now, there were stories that he danced and flirted with young girls. (The age of concent in DK is fifteen). There are no stories that he actually took them anywhere. - And is it concievable that some of these girls might have walked up to Joachim themselves and flirted with him? Voluntarily? Without pressure? Not being coerced? No shotgun in the back?

Whatever happened, happened in the past. Everybody go through a crisis several times during their lives. Fortunately most come out on top afterwards. Are you going to point your finger at a person in that situation?
Have you never been through a crisis in your life? Have you never made mistakes? Have you never done something foolish?

Some people tend to forget that royals are human beings as well. That they have faults and that they sometimes react like human beings.

When you point you finger at a man in a personal crisis, remember that three fingers are pointing back on you.

Now, you also say Joachim is a fool for insiting on being addressed with formal you.
Would you address QMII with informal you?

Denmark is a small country with 5 million habitants.

The storys in the press are coherent with what different people has been telling me.

Joachim was chasing young girls at the age of 16 and 17.

He didn't rape them with at shotgun to their head. I agree with that.
His chasing after girls 16 and 17 of age went on in about 1,5 year.

Joachim also was emailing and calling Marie after he met her at a hunting party just 2 month after the birth of his youngest son Felix.

And don't drag Alexandra into this. She was not running around touching young girls in the cruch.

Denmark is a small country with 5 million habitants.

The storys in the press are coherent with what different people has been telling me.

Joachim was chasing young girls at the age of 16 and 17.

He didn't rape them with at shotgun to their head. I agree with that.
His chasing after girls 16 and 17 of age went on in about 1,5 year.

Joachim also was emailing and calling Marie after he met her at a hunting party just 2 month after the birth of his youngest son Felix.

And don't drag Alexandra into this. She was not running around touching young girls in the cruch.

You sure seem to know a lot of details. - The problem is that none of it is verifiable. So you are basically not adding anything that wasn't written in the articles, which again were based on second-hand information.

However, you are still very busy pointing your finger at a man having a personal crisis. As far as I'm aware Joachim was not in the habit of embarrassing himself neither before nor after the separation and divorce.

Eventhough you do not permit me to mention Alexandra in this connection, I will nevertheless point out that she was going through a crisis as well and less than flattering articles about her also surfaced in that period.

As for when and how Joachim met Marie the first time.
Here is a translation of part of an interview from my archive. I've underlined the bit about their first meeting:

Billed Bladet #41, 2007-10-12.

Kærligheden var så stærk – The love was so strong. (Part 1. Part 2 in week #42).

In this unique and informal interview the couple invites inside to a rare visit at the chateau and while they tell about their meeting, falling in love and dreams for the future, Marie Cavallier also tells about her past, her family life and her interests in her free time.
It was during the couple’s vacation in France this summer at the wine-chateau Cayx, that Prince Joachim’s uncle. Etienne de Montpezat had the opportunity to talk to the couple in love and from that this rare and honest conversation has emerged, where Prince Joachim lets his fiancée speak. Because it is she, whom the Danes are going to know better.

Just at the press conference after the engagement the couple looks back at their first meeting, that took place during a hunt in Denmark in the Autumn of 2002.
- “I had been told that Prince Joachim was at the hunt. I thought it was fun to meet him and we did talk with each other during the hunt and had a fun time. But that was it”, tells Marie Cavallier.
- “No, and I didn’t think either that it could develop. It was more coincidences and meeting through friends that resulted that we occasionally came into contact with each other about every six months. Later, also by coincidence Marie and I both discovered that we were both single at the same time, and sometimes during 2005 I contacted her during a visit to Paris. And when we met again, I think we both knew that our friendship was destined to grow into something much larger”, tells Prince Joachim.
- “Nevertheless I cannot adhere to those who speak of love at first sight. But I was in the moment struck by his spontaneity, his openness and his frank and natural way of behaving, and we quickly realised that a certain togetherness grew between us. It felt like we were two lost souls on the same wavelength who had found each other”, tells Marie and continues:
- “That togetherness which we felt in each other has in time become more and more passionate. And what I very much noticed in Joachim, in view of who he is and his background, is his natural way of behaving. He is so straightforward and treats everyone in the same way. It’s not superficious manners but a deep and inborn kindness. I actually think it was the combination of Joachim’s many qualities and his way of being, which I could see/sense each time we met, which was genuine and not façade, which made me fall for him”, says Marie Cavallier and acknowledge that seduction is also based on charm and physical attraction.
- “Of course. But you just have to look at Joachim to understand him. It’s true, he is very gorgeous/lovely…. And you don’t have to spend much time with him to know that he is also intelligent. He is at the same time a good person and that’s rare. He radiates kindness, if I may put it like that. A kindness you sense just by looking at him. It shines through that he is a completely sincere and kind person. I have never heard him say anything bad about another person and I’ve never heard anyone utter a singe bad word about him”, says Marie Cavallier, who does not think her fiancée has changed as she has gotten to know him.

- “That’s actually something that has surprised me. I thought it might be because I was in love and that some things would change when I opened my eyes and got my feet back on the ground. But that has never happened. I’ve never seen him do anything wrong and he is the same today as three years ago. If he genuinely was not like that I would know. My family and my friends and everybody else have also been surprised. It’s very rare that someone like him does not become blasé and condescending towards people and does not become demanding. On the contrary he is a man who never complains and who is always happy”, says Marie Cavallier and sound almost as she has met a true prince charming.
- “Yes, he does exist. I’ve found him. Lovely, friendly, open and frank. Who can ask for more? And on top of that he is simply an incredible father. And when he on top of that loves me so much, well, I’ve honestly never met anyone like him, “says an in love Marie Cavallier.
When Prince Joachim and Marie Cavallier last week got officially engaged the love-struck couple certainly didn’t look like someone who had problems during their relationship.
Still their love has not completely been without complications. But they have with mutual help and stubbornness worked their way through the problems and found a love for each other, which they themselves have difficulties describing with words.
- “Yes, it’s true that we were apart for some time. I had moments of doubts and considerations about what choices to make. It wasn’t a question about my feelings and love for him. But I was uncertain about the life I was heading towards, because it’s so different from what I could even dream about. I’m a very independent person and the “official” side of Prince Joachim scared me, I cannot deny that. So I tried to get out and end our relationship…. But then I realised that it was stupid. I would never meet someone like him again. You cannot let a chance like that get away… I love him and I’m confident that, that love will help me accept everything that comes with that (being married to a prince). Or at least that love will make things easier”, says Marie Cavallier who is now for the first time interrupted by her fiancée.
- “It’s strange, because during the period we were forced apart and Marie told me that she didn’t believe she could handle living a life like that with me, I was still full of optimism. I trusted our love for each other the whole time. I think it’s one of my good qualities that I always look at the bright side, when things happen.

- “And the most important thing for me when I met Marie, was that I sensed that our friendship moved in a completely different direction. Here I had something new to look for and test and I discovered things I’ve never before experienced”, says Joachim and gladly elaborates:
- “Of course I’ve been spoiled in my life, but pretty early on I’ve learned to put things into the right perspective and differentiate and navigate beyond the smiles and thorns of the roses. But with Marie I knew I had found my new future, a future which is almost predestined for me.
And that our love should be so easy/trouble free is certainly not a matter of course. I’ve never been brought up to believe that everything is just sorted when you snap your fingers. On the contrary. But I think that I by nature is very patient. My background as farmer has also helped in strengthening that trait.
And finally but not least she has also charmed my children and has build up the most natural way of being with them. That’s a unique chance, perhaps what my happiness depends on, because I don’t think I could be really happy if it didn’t work between them”.
- “I felt the exact same way. Perhaps because I went through the same things when I was a child. I always knew it was up to me to make an effort. All I do is to love the boy and give them love. If they accept it, so much the better and I will do my best for that to happen. I think I was fortunate to enter their life at the right moment. It would probably have been more difficult later on. It’s not my impression, you see, that the boys feel like victims after the divorce or that they cannot handle the situation. That’s naturally not because of me, it’s thanks to Joachim and their mother”. Says Marie Cavallier.

Part two:

She points out that it was the unveiling of the couple’s secret romance and the consequently public attention and the many things written, which scared her from a life with Joachim.
- “It was a very difficult life. First and foremost because I was not prepared for it and because I didn’t know how to protect myself. When the storm really started, Joachim was on top of that at an official visit to Cambodia, and with the big difference in time we couldn’t get hold of each other, I felt pretty alone. I didn’t know what to say and how to protect myself and my private life. Everywhere I could see myself on the covers of papers and magazines. That almost left the impression that I in a distasteful manner wanted to make myself known, no matter the costs. I cannot deny that I found this intrusion into my private life very difficult and unpleasant and a terrible burden and I felt completely lost. To outsiders my reaction may seem overly sensitive, exaggerated and amusing, but I will not deny that it was a difficult time”.
- “It was naturally enough not so dramatic for me as I’m more used to it. But Marie was literally shoved into the limelight and since then she has actually been under siege”.
- “I was afraid I could not live up to all the expectations. So I needed a break. I needed time to reflect and find myself. It wouldn’t be right to Joachim if I wasn’t certain about myself….. He’s too good for that. And it wouldn’t have been right to let him down by not taking the time to figure that out.
I did however quickly learn that I was unhappy without him. And most important of all, Joachim understands me and backs me up. So he introduced me to Denmark and his family, even though we were not formally sweethearts, in order to in that way familiarise me a little more to the situation and the various aspects, which made me nervous, so I became more acquainted with what lies ahead”, says Marie, who as Joachim showed more sides of his life felt that it was different that she had imagined.
Life at Schackenborg as the future wife of Prince Joachim will become more ordinary that Marie Cavallier imagines. But she is not at all apprehensive about life in the country side.
- “Not at all. I’m always asked about that and I simply cannot understand why. I love country life, animals, forest and nature. That’s just me. And also a part of my culture. I love to experience new things, see how people live their lives differently, I have always been open to that. I think curiosity is a thing that drives me. But I also know that it will not be easy. But where there is a will, there’s a way.
And I’m not afraid of the cold and dark winters in Denmark. Firstly I love Joachim, but I’m also fond of being alone. I have no problems about that. When I get that question all the time, it’s probably because people are afraid that I will get bored. But I can’t imagine that, because with all that work that lies ahead, all that I have to learn, among other things the language, which I find very difficult, I will not find time to get bored.
We will after all not stay at Schackenborg all the time, but apart from that there is plenty to do there. Then there is the hunting season, which I’m very fond of. I also expect that we will be visited by friends and family and finally I cannot imagine ever to be bored when with Joachim. We can talk for hours”, says Maria Cavallier and laughs about the question about the couple always being in agreement.
- “Of course not. Joachim can be very stubborn sometimes, or let’s say he sticks to his conviction. So do I too by the way, so occasionally we do have discussions, but naturally we agree about the important things in life”, ays Marie Cavallier and explains that, that also goes in the issue about children.
- “Yes, we would both very much like to have children. Together”, determines Marie, while Joachim adds:
- “As I already have two, that is of course something I have contemplated and thought about carefully. But there is no doubt at all from my side, because a child is a product of our love for each other. If I didn’t want children with Marie, then there was cause for concern”.
But there is apparently no reason for concern anymore. The couple almost glow with happiness and yet they have difficulties putting words to it.
- “I’d rather not elaborate more about my feelings than I’ve already done”, grins Joachim, while hi fiancée says:
- “It’s not possible at all. I need a new word in order to describe it. A new word that just fits the two of us”.

(Part two of this interview in week #42).

Written by Etienne de Montpazat/Trine Larsen.

Sorry, I failed to mention that.
The article was written right after it became known that Joachim had a relationship with Marie.
Yes, the Queen is indeed personally very much liked. But she is not folksy and has never been folksy. And I agree, that is probably due to her being shy and akward. While Henrik on a personal basis appear to very easy going. With QMII you are also standing in front of a Majesty, and you are rarely in doubt about that! Hence my reference to being stand offish, if people become too familiar. - And she is, as you point ,out very intelligent, which many reporters have experienced first hand, when they've said something particularly silly....
I'd say QMII is admired, respected, well liked and aknowledged more than she is loved. Love is, in my eyes at least, a very strong word.
When I compare QMII and Joachim I see two very intelligent people who are also very competent at being royals. They are both brilliant at representing.
The difference is that Joachim is confident in the public glaze, while QMII, at least for many years, was uncomfortable. - As is Frederik.

Joachim is a very formal man, a very correct man, a very conservative man. But over the years I've learned more and more about his personal character. And the impression I have now, is that he is a genuinely good man. That is not the worst thing to say about any man.
He has changed somewhat since Marie entered his life. As QMII put: "And Spring entered your mind again (Joachim)". To see Joachim cry at his wedding, was something that took not only me but also the commentators completely by surprise.

Marie will in my opinion never be a threat to Mary. I doubt very much she would even wish to be in Mary's shoes. They are very different persons.
I have compared Marie to a younger sister. Someone you tease (hence: la Marie etc.), have fun with and wish to protect.
And Mary to a much older sister. Someone you respect and like and even look up to. But you don't tease her. Not in the same way. - This subjective view may not make much sense to you, but it really is difficult to explain how I feel about Mary and Marie.

I don't agree with your perception of Prince Henrik or QMII or CP Frederik or anyone. QMII is not shy nor akward. Prince Henrik deserves respect because of his work but he will never receive the respect he thinks he deserves. That would not be possibly.

CP Frederik had a teardrop falling when he saw CP Mary walking down the aisle.

Joachim has always been dry as a bone. And IMO he just wanted too copy his brother at the second wedding.

He took a hankerchief from his pocket the size of a towel and burst into tears.

I don't think it was considerate when his 2 little boys were standing next to him.

Joachim thinks the world of himself. But he has not achieved a university degree nor managed the most difficult military education as his brother.

He made a scandal for himself running after young girls half his age. And is now getting tantrums just like his father.

Muhler

You are beliving anything when it suits you and disbelieving when it isn't.

We are only 5.000.000 danish. These young girls at 16 and 17 have siblings and parents and uncles and aunts, teachers and collegues.

And the bar where it all took place had servants and the servants have family and friends.

Muhler, while Joachim is not my favourite person in the DRF, I too feel that he has acted very dignified in the wake of his divorce from Alexandra. There are always two people, at least!, involved in a divorce and even though he had a very understandable lapse from his usual behaviour, he took the initial blame from the public for the dissolution of the marriage, never tried to point finger at his ex and just took the blame till the public gradually got a more balanced view of the persons involved in the failed marriage.

Marie seems to suit him so well; and it is great that she seems to have really settled in the area around Schackenborg, great for Joachim, even greater for the area!

Muhler

We are only 5.000.000 danish. These young girls at 16 and 17 have siblings and parents and uncles and aunts, teachers and collegues.

And the bar where it all took place had servants and the servants have family and friends.

Benedikte, unless my eyes decieved me, you were the one who started this by declaring yourself an impartial conveyer of facts.

Do you remember the story about H. C Andersen about a feather becoming five hens?
And all these people you mention here, they told the story accurately when they passed it on? That's impressive! It's not even possible in courtroom.
What's the name of the game, where you form a circle of people and one whisper a story in the ear of the one sitting next to, who again pass it on to the next person?

Muhler, while Joachim is not my favourite person in the DRF, I too feel that he has acted very dignified in the wake of his divorce from Alexandra. There are always two people, at least!, involved in a divorce .... he took the initial blame from the public for the dissolution of the marriage, never tried to point finger at his ex and just took the blame till the public gradually got a more balanced view of the persons involved in the failed marriage.

Excellent analysis, the gradual unfolding of the history of all parties (involved) convinced me that he was woefully misrepresented by the media.

Muhler

When was he "chasing young girls at 16 and 17 years of age"? The article you linked to from EB states that the girl was 18 - 17 at the time of the alleged incident. It seems strange to me, that with all the "witnesses" you parade, EB weren't able to present any more witnesses than the girl and two of her friends.

I'm from a small town 15 miles from Silkeborg, where it allegedly happned, and I can vouch for, that it never was an issue in the local community - where all your "witnesses" and their friends and family would be living.

It seems to me that Joachim was (and still is) the victim of persecution from certain "papers" (EB) and gossip press (S&H - Muehler hits bulls-eye with his previous characteristic of S&H) - something that was laid bare for all to see, when Alexandra married a man 10-15 years her junior.

I'm sorry you don't like Joachim, and you may have a point that he's not the favourite of the danes. But he does his job very well - much better than Frederik and the Queen when it comes to campaigning in foreign countries. I have an acquiantence who worked at DI (Danish Industries - a guild for the major Danish companies), responsible for the Indian and Russian markets. He could tell of when the royals went on campaign, the ones most competent and able, were Prince Henrik and Prince Joachim, whereas Frederik and the Queen were much less qualified when it came to the actual "job" - despite them being HttT and Sovereign respectively.

And when you look at Joachim delivering a speech or being interviewed, he's well formulated and can give comprehendable replies to most answers, whereas Frederik too often sounds like a bumbling moron, using superlatives like "Fantastic" and "Extremely" in every single sentense - few of which are very intelligble, not to mention profound or even insightful.

IMO, the person best qualified to take over the throne is Joachim - by far. But I'll settle for Frederik. He's found a good woman in Mary, and she'll fill in the gaps, I'm sure.

And when you look at Joachim delivering a speech or being interviewed, he's well formulated and can give comprehendable replies to most answers, whereas Frederik too often sounds like a bumbling moron, using superlatives like "Fantastic" and "Extremely" in every single sentense - few of which are very intelligble, not to mention profound or even insightful.

IMO, the person best qualified to take over the throne is Joachim - by far. But I'll settle for Frederik. He's found a good woman in Mary, and she'll fill in the gaps, I'm sure.

Being good in promoting Commerce (like Prince Andrew does in the UK) doesn't qualify you as a good King.

Being good in promoting Commerce (like Prince Andrew does in the UK) doesn't qualify you as a good King.

What does?

IMO, a good king must have understanding of the political and diplomatic processes. However, knowledge is only half of it. The ability to handle yourself in diplomatic situations is just as important. By this, I mean being able to say or do something meaningful or even delicate is both public and private situations.

There is a lot of other things that you must be able to do - such as drum up public support. And while Frederik may be the favored "candidate" amongst the Danes - he has his critics (me, amongst others).

I think we can all agree, that all of the members of the DRF have their faults, just like everyone else. Prince Joachim might be better at promoting commerce, but why is he perceived as being arrogant? Why isn't he just as popular as CP Frederik for all of his qualities? So it would appear that a lot of Danes do prefer CP Frederik to be King, especially since CP Frederik married CP Mary and started a family.
At the end of the day, unless CP Frederik dies, he will be the King and not Prince Joachim. And even if Frederik dies before he becomes King, Joachim will only be regent until Christian becomes of age (If Queen Margrethe has died as well). Frederik will soon have 4 direct heirs to the throne and Joachim will be 6th in line to the throne. The future of the Danish monarchy is Frederik and his children. Joachim's "kingdom" is and will remain at Shackenborg.

Last edited:
Benedikte, unless my eyes decieved me, you were the one who started this by declaring yourself an impartial conveyer of facts.

Do you remember the story about H. C Andersen about a feather becoming five hens?
And all these people you mention here, they told the story accurately when they passed it on? That's impressive! It's not even possible in courtroom.
What's the name of the game, where you form a circle of people and one whisper a story in the ear of the one sitting next to, who again pass it on to the next person?

I think the Bristish call it "Telephone" and the Americans "Chinese whispers" (or vice versa), here in Germany it's "Stille Post" ("Silent message").
A good comparison, IMHO.

I personally doubt Joachim is interested in young girls. When a man marries twice the same type of woman (dark haired, adult, experienced, a bit sophisticated, with a certain "esprit"), then he simply is not interested in young innocents. My opinion, of course.

Muhler, while Joachim is not my favourite person in the DRF, I too feel that he has acted very dignified in the wake of his divorce from Alexandra. There are always two people, at least!, involved in a divorce and even though he had a very understandable lapse from his usual behaviour, he took the initial blame from the public for the dissolution of the marriage, never tried to point finger at his ex and just took the blame till the public gradually got a more balanced view of the persons involved in the failed marriage.

Marie seems to suit him so well; and it is great that she seems to have really settled in the area around Schackenborg, great for Joachim, even greater for the area!

I agree with you completely, UserDane. I also feel like Joachim and Alexandra have handled their divorce beautifully. I really admire the way they've managed to work together peacefully when it comes to their children. I wasn't so sure about Marie at first, but over time she has grown on me. She seems to be good for Joachim.

Agree! And I think we would all agree, as compared to how the British handled their divorces, the Danish Royal Family have been absolutely brilliant at handling the divorce of Joachim and Alexandra.

The blame cannot be laid at Joachim's door only for the failure of his first marriage. The same way it takes 2 for a marriage to work, it takes 2 for a marriage to fail as well.

Prince Joachim might be better at promoting commerce, but why is he perceived as being arrogant? Why isn't he just as popular as CP Frederik for all of his qualities?

IMO, he doesn't have his brother's way of interacting well with normal people. He may be dazzling behind the scenes with business leaders and other elites but he often seems incredibly stiff to the point of being uncomfortable when he's interacting with regular people. Frederik may be bad at public communication - speeches and what not - but almost everyone I've heard - in videos and print articles, first person accounts on the internet, etc - who's had a one on one or small group meeting with him has spoken about how nice he is, how natural, how genuinely interested he seemed. This is supported, IMO, by the photos and videos you see of the Crown Prince on his duties; to me, it's obvious he's one of those likeable people that puts those around him at ease.

That charisma, or common touch, or whatever you want to call it, is an invaluable skill for a future monarch to have these days, IMO. Frederik's lack of public speaking skills, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be the major handicap it would have been at one time... IMO, one of the only advantages to the royals of today's blanket, 24-7 media coverage is that the public does get a better idea of what they're like in many different situations, not just in formal, scripted settings like speeches, etc.

Alrighty, can we please get back on topic - the current general news about Joachim, Marie and their children. Events which may or may not have transpired years ago have no place in this thread, and the mods would like to remind everyone that events/incidents presented as fact should be backed up with links to sources to these claims.

JessRulz
For the Danish Mods

IMO, a good king must have understanding of the political and diplomatic processes. However, knowledge is only half of it. The ability to handle yourself in diplomatic situations is just as important. By this, I mean being able to say or do something meaningful or even delicate is both public and private situations.

There is a lot of other things that you must be able to do - such as drum up public support.
Then I don't quite see why you think Joachim is the most qualified to take over the throne.

He was unable to drum up public support at the time of his divorce announcement in 2004, wasn't he? I agree with what UserDane wrote about the whole affair - but nevertheless it was Alexandra who got the public support.
And whenever was Joachim able to do or say something meaningful - I mean more meaningful than what his brother is able to do or say?
And how diplomatic was it to tell a reporter of EB to address him more formally?

I once met Joachim with his first wife. And all I can say is there was a reason why Alexandra was so much more popular. Sorry, but Joachim does come across as arrogant (as EB writes) and stiff. And because of this I personally did not see him as a good representative for Denmark, as knowledgeable and articulate as he might be. (Alexandra on the other hand was a very good one, although I never was her greatest fan.)

Joachim may have a heart of gold but IMO he is really bad at communicating with the public - the most important thing for a monarch. IMO Joachim very much needs a charming wife like Marie by his side - looking up to him on pictures and praising him in interviews - to come across more appealing. And even then he certainly would not be my choice for the throne. (I too think that while Frederik's tears at the wedding seemed spontaneous and charming, Joachim's seemed prepared and embarrassing.)

Last edited:
Excerpts from summary of an interview in Billed Bladet #52, 2010.
Jeg vil have et barn mere - I want one more child.
Summarized by Ken Richter.

The recently published photoseries of our Marie in Jydske Vestkysten, was indeed from an interview with that newspaper. Presumably published in the paper and subscribers edition as I haven't seen it online yet.

Princess Marie's life has been changed dramatically within the last couple of years. Not least by becoming a mother:
- "That's the biggest change in life that you can experience. I simply cannot imagine a life without my little boy. He means that I no longer have myself in focus, and today I first and foremost think about my husband and our son. The family is my big dream".

Becoming a Princess is a somewaht novel experience and in that regard Marie has recieved advise from QMII:
- "She has such a big experience about life and I've been told a lot by her. Especially in regards to culture. The Queen is both skilled and wise and from her you can learn a lot".

But Mary has also been a help:
- "There was so much that had to fall into place for me and in the beginning it was very stressful - and here Mary was a really good help for me. Of course it's first and foremost Prince Joachim, who is the big support for me, but he has grown up with his task and that's why there are things which the Crown Princess understands better".

About learning to speak Danish:
- "In this respect it's a big help to learn the language right away. That was my first goal. And then it's about being interested in the history and get informed about the Royal Family's life and relationship with the country".
One thing more is very important:
- "Patience. It doesn't come all at once".

She is still in the learning process in regards to Danish and a thing she emphasize is to listen to the language: (*)
- "And by speaking it. That's why I've asked Prince Joachim to speak Danish to me until 19.00 in the evening. The rest of the evening I need to relax a bit, and then we switch to French".

Prince Henrik has over the years got a lot of heat for his, shall we say, less than perfect Danish:
- "The Prince Consort speaks really good Danish. His vocabulary is big. Surely it shouldn't be about accent, but more about the ability to express yourself. His Danish is charming and that's why I don't understand why he is critiziced". (**)

About the village life:
- "Here there is peace and quiet and it's here we can live a genuine family life".
They have no intentions of moving away:
- "We have no current plans of moving. My little boy is fond of his nursery. There are still a few years yet before he will be going to school, but it will surely be natural for us to have Prince Henrik attend school in Møgeltønder". (***)

About the daily life:
- "I'm never bored! I don't have time for that. I have way too man interests and I'm having a lovely time with my little child. He is very curious and with a thing that age you are never bored. The responsibility is very big. The parenst have to think about everything and as a mother there is no such things as a bad day".

More children?
- "We have three boys, but I'd like to be a mother of one more child. Henrik shall have a younger sister or brother, if my wish must be fulfilled".

Moderators: I suggest a specific thread with interviews is created. That thread can serve as reference.

(*) Interestingly, I have over the years spoken to some who have been studying Danish and they agree that Southern Jutlandic is easier to understand than "official = posh Copenhagener" Danish. - Except when the locals start speaking in dialect...:p

(**) Says Marie, whose pronounciation and mastery of basic grammar is already way superiour to Prince Henrik.

(***) And the town of Tønder is only a couple of kilometers away. As far as I know they also have a high school there, so there won't be any problems in regards to Bette Henrik's education until he is about eighteen or nineteen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom