The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 07:23 AM
Majesty

An Australian article about Mary loosing her Australian accent: https://startsat60.com/stories/news/...ur-aussie-mary

Either click-bait or a pretty provincial outlook.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:36 AM
Heir Apparent

The article says not only did she loose her accent, but she now has a strong Danish accent and struggles with some English words.

I'm not sure how you can be born, raised and work in an English speaking country, have English speaking family and friends, and now struggle with the language.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:52 AM
Majesty

I think the problem comes when she is switching back and forward between English and Danish. Moving around the Olympics she's mixing with both Danes and Aussies and switching back and forward all the time must be exhausting.

I am not sure if her learning Danish was by full emersion but if she has reached the stage that she is both thinking and speaking Danish, things could get muddled, especially if she is excited.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:12 AM
Aristocracy

I imagine it must be quite difficult when you adopt a new language to the extent that it becomes the spoken one full time and you start to actually think in it(!) to keep your original one up to speed. Your accent will also most likely change accordingly over time.

People who just move from one english speaking country to another often take on - at least partially - the accent of their new home over time!

Regarding who she would support at Rio I think Mary could have played it a bit more enigmatically.

To quote a former gaelic football manager here on who his young family would be cheering on when the county he was managing was meeting his home county ..... "Cheering on one and praying for the other ..... they didn't tell me which was which!"
Old 08-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Majesty

I think it's a matter of switching between two languages.
I've often noted how Mary's Danish is less articulated and her accent is heavier if she's been traveling and speaking English a lot.

I usually think in English when I visit this board, but if I'm for whatever reason distracted I tend to write Danglish.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
I imagine it must be quite difficult when you adopt a new language to the extent that it becomes the spoken one full time and you start to actually think in it(!) to keep your original one up to speed. Your accent will also most likely change accordingly over time.
Of course the accent changes. Mary has lived in Denmark for 14 years now.

She speaks and functions in Danish day after day after day. Without going totally OT, maybe it's for her like it was for me at one point, switching between two languages, if she suddenly starts to speak English, it might feel that she doesn't find the right words to everything and has a Danish accent.
Then if she speaks English more, she sort of reverts back to being the English speaking she once was. Sorry, don't know how to describe it properly.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
An Australian article about Mary loosing her Australian accent: https://startsat60.com/stories/news/...ur-aussie-mary

Either click-bait or a pretty provincial outlook.

Just a bit of Aussie send up. No one was having a go at her, settle down.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

I have noticed this for,a,long time when she speaks English. Correct me if I'm wrong Danes, but to me, it seems as if she is speaking English more like her husband, with his Danish accented English, which would be perfectly normal.couples begin to merge after a while IMO
Old 08-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I =don't think she has but Danish is a very hard sounding language and must have been a real challenge for her to learn and to me she sounds perfect with her Danish and naturally her mother tongue will suffer but that is the way the is ... she has chosen her perfect life there but I think still has the accent
Old 08-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just last week I had to go to see my mother unfortunately she is not doing well, so when I arrive there I had to take Uber and I went to the bank and both ask me from what country I am from, I said from here, and both answer but you have an accent. I guess after so many years (20 )leaving in other countries I got an accent with my own language. After I started to ask my family and friends and all agree that I have an accent.
Although I have a friend where we leave that she grow up in the same contry and we talk very often, still I got an accent.
So all that being said I guess it is the same for Mary....
Old 08-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Just a bit of Aussie send up. No one was having a go at her, settle down.
Of course they weren't but it sparked an interesting conversation about Mary living in a different country and speaking a different language, and the effects on her use of her mother tongue.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Mary latest celebrity to be falsely used to sell Garcinia Cambogia | Daily Mail Online
Old 08-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Royal Highness

The Crown Princess criticized by Australian media to have lost his Australian accent.
After only two years moved Mary to Denmark, and has been living there for the past 14 years. Now, however, she criticized for having lost his Australian accent.

-What has happened to our Australian Mary? She had trouble pronouncing English words and she had to repeat herself several times, wrote the Australian media the home that 60.

It is in connection with the Olympics in Rio that she was interviewed by several Australian media, and was criticized for having too clearly Danish accent.

But the criticism was not well received on social media, and more could not understand that the media dared to criticize her.
kronprinsesse mary: - Hva har skjedd med Mary? - Se og hør
Old 08-18-2016, 02:47 PM
Nobility

After14 years away from Australia and speaking another language, she's still supposed to sound like Crocodile Dundee?! Must have been a slow news day.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Apparently Mary took part of a sailing event on August 18
"Crown Princess Mary of Denmark participated in the "Baltic Sea Challenge, a sailing regatta for 12 meter boats in Skovshoved, Denmark."
http://www.newmyroyals.com/2016/08/p...challenge.html

looks like it was part of the 150 anniversary celebrations of the Royal Danish Yacht club (that we saw earlier this year was attended by the Queen, Henrik, Frederik and Mary) Im guessing Mary took part since Frederik was at the Rio Olympics
https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...48&oe=584A0CB1
https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...37&oe=5813F2E4
Old 08-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Vincent and Josephine were seen walking to school, a few days ago, with trusted ziggy by their side (and a nanny )
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJZudLchgR4/

Mary was seen driving with Christian
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJZnXnhA1XB/
Old 08-26-2016, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Apparently Mary took part of a sailing event on August 18
"Crown Princess Mary of Denmark participated in the "Baltic Sea Challenge, a sailing regatta for 12 meter boats in Skovshoved, Denmark."
Princess Mary at 'Baltic Sea Challenge' in Skovshoved

looks like it was part of the 150 anniversary celebrations of the Royal Danish Yacht club (that we saw earlier this year was attended by the Queen, Henrik, Frederik and Mary) Im guessing Mary took part since Frederik was at the Rio Olympics
https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...48&oe=584A0CB1
https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...37&oe=5813F2E4
a short article from Billedbladet
Kronprinsesse Mary får ros for sin indsats i kapsejlads | BILLED-BLADET
Old 08-28-2016, 06:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Nice news

Christian is now "a official member" of Frederik and his sailer-team.

Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Christian to sail in 'Dragon Gold Cup 2016' in Hornbæk August 28 – September 2, 2016.

One race per day from Sunday the 28th to Friday th 2nd.

The first race is today, Sunday.

Crew members:

Skipper Crown Prince Frederik
Crew 1 PrinceChristian
Crew 2 MyralfAnders
Crew 3 RiiseJesper

Programme
Nyheder | Dragon Gold Cup får royal deltagelse

*Credit goes to The Unofficial Crown Princess Mary Message Board

And with Mary participating in the "Baltic Sea Challenge, a sailing regatta for 12 meter boats in Skovshoved, Denmark" last weekend, I guess it runs in the family
Old 08-28-2016, 08:49 AM
Courtier

I think Mary, Isabella and the twins will be supporters. Nice that Frederik has Christian as crew, great experience for him.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
Nice news

Christian is now "a official member" of Frederik and his sailer-team.

Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Christian to sail in 'Dragon Gold Cup 2016' in Hornbæk August 28 – September 2, 2016.

One race per day from Sunday the 28th to Friday th 2nd.

The first race is today, Sunday.

Crew members:

Skipper Crown Prince Frederik
Crew 1 PrinceChristian
Crew 2 MyralfAnders
Crew 3 RiiseJesper

Programme
Nyheder | Dragon Gold Cup får royal deltagelse

*Credit goes to The Unofficial Crown Princess Mary Message Board

And with Mary participating in the "Baltic Sea Challenge, a sailing regatta for 12 meter boats in Skovshoved, Denmark" last weekend, I guess it runs in the family
This is indeed interesting news; with the Norwegian king sailing with the guys here in Toronto at the 8 metre world cup, it occurs to me that sailing is very much a man's game. I wonder whether Crown princess Mary can break this mold and skipper a female....or mixed racing crew?

Closed Thread