The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #381  
Old 12-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 375
If I am understanding the story, nobody did anything wrong, this is an inherent risk when it comes to swimming in the ocean in that part of Australia. The only thing that could've been done differently was to forbade Christian from going into the ocean, or have someone swimming right beside Christian who is well-trained in the perils of those kinds of waters. If his father or a Danish protection officer was with him, then two people would've needed rescuing.

I think that the outcome of this is going to be praise for Australian lifeguards and a primer on the possible perils of swimming in those waters.
__________________

  #382  
Old 12-20-2015, 08:08 AM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHJAP View Post
My brother happened to be walking right by them down the beach when all this unfolded...

Welcome to The Royal Forums HRHJAP.

Did your brother have any other details than those so far reported?

I've just seen an article saying CP Mary and CP Frederik were on the beach as the surf life-saver paddled Prince Christian back to safety, in a "distressed" state.

(Fully understandable.)
__________________

  #383  
Old 12-20-2015, 08:22 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1
Thank you Sun Lion!

He wasn't paying too much attention, the beach was very quiet and there wasn't a big commotion and at the time he wasn't aware of who they were but from what i gather.. Frederik was in the water when it happened and Mary was on the sand with Isabella and Josephine and another lady. They were very panicky when it was all going down. Afterwards though, all of them including Christian were fine and Frederik and Mary were getting their photo taken by the other lady they were with, while the kids continued playing on the sand (Minus Vincent, according to my brother he wasn't around). Afterwards, Mary and the other lady were also pointing out into the ocean and Mary said "i'll let the lifeguard know" (not sure what they were talking about? Maybe where the rip was?) That's basically all they're reporting and all i know, like i said my brother didn't hang around too much!

Also, when my brother passed them before it happened, Christian had a surfboard.
  #384  
Old 12-20-2015, 08:26 AM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHJAP View Post
Thank you Sun Lion!

He wasn't paying too much attention, the beach was very quiet and there wasn't a big commotion and at the time he wasn't aware of who they were but from what i gather.. Frederik was in the water when it happened and Mary was on the sand with Isabella and Josephine and another lady. They were very panicky when it was all going down. Afterwards though, all of them including Christian were fine and Frederik and Mary were getting their photo taken by the other lady they were with, while the kids continued playing on the sand (Minus Vincent, according to my brother he wasn't around). Afterwards, Mary and the other lady were also pointing out into the ocean and Mary said "i'll let the lifeguard know" (not sure what they were talking about? Maybe where the rip was?) That's basically all they're reporting and all i know, like i said my brother didn't hang around too much!

Thank you - and your brother too - HRHJAP for filling in some more of the details of the incident.

I hope you enjoy your time here at TRFs.
  #385  
Old 12-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,775
And we have an official statement from the DRF: Kongehuset: Prins Christian var på intet tidspunkt i fare - Danmark | www.bt.dk

Lene Balleby says that the situation was not dramatic at all: "Prince Christian was in no danger at any time. The lifeguards must always be attentive and in this case they knew was in the water and (they) were perhaps extra attentive. They therefore did an extra check to see if Prince Christian was OK, which he was.
In other words: The situation was completely undramatic".

The article concludes that the reports that Christian was in (at least some) danger, was exaggerated.
And that the lifeguards did not know who he was is also not correct.

- That the lifeguards still do a most valuable job cannot be detracted IMO. Nor should it detract from anything if, repeat if, one of them intervened when it may not have been necessary.
Like I said in a previous post the sea take a number of tourists every year here in DK as well, so better safe than sorry.

Congratulations on your first post, HRHJAP.
And thanks for your account.
  #386  
Old 12-20-2015, 09:54 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Probably nearby.

But it only takes a moment and an overconfident ten year old...

Exactly. Life is never without risk, is it? Not to go swimming in the ocean is not an alternative so all protection was in place. After this experience, and you can only first hand experience how powerful nature can be, Christian will probably more careful next time.

I remember when I went to Yallingup Beach near Perth, the waves were ok, after swimming I was resting on the shore for some time when out of the blue a wave knocked me off my feet. I don't know the particular beach where the family went but I found the Goldcoast beaches equally unpredictable.
  #387  
Old 12-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
And we have an official statement from the DRF: Kongehuset: Prins Christian var på intet tidspunkt i fare - Danmark | www.bt.dk

Lene Balleby says that the situation was not dramatic at all: "Prince Christian was in no danger at any time. The lifeguards must always be attentive and in this case they knew was in the water and (they) were perhaps extra attentive. They therefore did an extra check to see if Prince Christian was OK, which he was.
In other words: The situation was completely undramatic".

The article concludes that the reports that Christian was in (at least some) danger, was exaggerated.
And that the lifeguards did not know who he was is also not correct.

- That the lifeguards still do a most valuable job cannot be detracted IMO. Nor should it detract from anything if, repeat if, one of them intervened when it may not have been necessary.
Like I said in a previous post the sea take a number of tourists every year here in DK as well, so better safe than sorry.

Congratulations on your first post, HRHJAP.
And thanks for your account.
My impression from the video actually was that this was more a precautious action from the lifeguard than a real rescue. It's their job to foresee dangers and not let it come to the worst (like Christian not being able to make it back).
  #388  
Old 12-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 2,959
Thank you all for the information. Having experienced lifeguards who understand the changing nature of the ocean floor, beaches and wave patterns is an absolute necessity! Especially when every summer there are millions (with varying levels of swimming proficiency) who come to spend the day at the beach. I'm constantly reminding our kids that even though they are "pool safe" swimmers at 15 and 13 , the ocean is an entirely different situation.
  #389  
Old 12-20-2015, 10:46 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,775
I tend to agree with you, Ricarda.

If you listen to what was said in the video, they did not say that Christian, was in danger, but that they intervened before he was in danger and ending up in a situation he couldn't handle.

BB has apparently phoned Lene Balleby and this is what she said to BB: Livredder tjekkede om prins Christian var okay | BILLED-BLADET

Prince Christian was Thursday and the beach Mermaid Beach near Brisbane in Australia with his parents, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and his three younger siblings.
Here the whole family went into the water and swam between the flags. At some point a lifeguard spotted the 10 year old Prince and paddled out to him on his board to see if he was okay. Fortunately everything was as it should be.
"The situation was completely undramatic. The lifeguards were very attentive and checked whether Prince Christian was alright, just to be on the safe side", says the DRF communications chief Lene Balleby to Billed Blade and adds:
It's good the lifeguards do their jobs so well, but in this case there was no danger".


It was the Australian 7 News that Sunday reported that Prince Christian had been rescued to the shore by a lifeguard at the beach at the Gold Coast in eastern Australia, because the undercurrent had got him.
But according to Lene Balleby the Prince wasn't in direct danger, when he was out bathing during the family holiday in Crown Princess Mary's homeland

"The DRF take very calm because the situation was as said before undramatic", says the communications chief of the DRF.
  #390  
Old 12-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 8,775
Follow up.

The Danish press have had a closer look at the matter: Livredder kom prins Christian til undsætning: Så farlig er stranden, prinsen badede fra - Danmark | www.bt.dk

They have looked at the beach, Mermaid Beach and the lifeguard site, ripcurrents.com.au
According to that the beach is known to have strong currents, so it's safer to swim near the shore.

Even though the DRF labelled the incident as undramatic, far from all swimmers get a visit by a lifeguard.
At this beach, since July, there have been one rescue (i.e. a swimmer in danger), five cases of first aide being applied and 279 precautionary actions.
The paper concludes that the incident with Christian must be considered a precautionary action. (Especially I imagine if the lifeguards had been told to watch out in particular for that family. Perhaps by putting an extra lifeguard on duty, whatever).
  #391  
Old 12-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,199
With regard to the figures quoted however it should be remembered that July is in the depths of an Australian winter. As of now our hotter beach weather has barely started. Few except the most hardy go into the ocean before late November/December.

So the number of people saved or warned is of course small from July to November. December until April are the beach months in Australia, and the fact that lifeguards are there and that swimming is done between the flags doesn't mean that children can be left without parents keeping an eye out.
  #392  
Old 12-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: xxx, Finland
Posts: 617
[QUOTE=Curryong;1849449]December until April are the beach months in Australia, and the fact that lifeguards are there and that swimming is done between the flags doesn't mean that children can be left without parents keeping an eye out.[/QUOTE]

How have you concluded, that Christian's parents didn't keep an eye on him?
  #393  
Old 12-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,557
Princess Mary's son saved on the Gold Coast by shocked lifeguard | Daily Mail Online
  #394  
Old 12-20-2015, 01:54 PM
mitchell's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: mt barker, Australia
Posts: 89
No Cookies | The Courier Mail
  #395  
Old 12-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,199
[QUOTE=Nordic;1849453]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
December until April are the beach months in Australia, and the fact that lifeguards are there and that swimming is done between the flags doesn't mean that children can be left without parents keeping an eye out.[/QUOTE]

How have you concluded, that Christian's parents didn't keep an eye on him?
^ Maybe they did, maybe Fred's eye was off him for a moment. Mary was apparently on the beach. There was some sort of an incident in which a lifesaver was involved. It was probably much less dramatic than was originally reported. That doesn't mean that I am necessarily swallowing the Danish Royal spokesman's explanation of what happened/didn't happen either.
  #396  
Old 12-20-2015, 02:21 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 998
I can understand the Danish PR wanting to downplay the situation of how much danger Prince Christian was in - for the residents of Denmark. I don't think they are concerned with how anyone else views the incident.

But all indications are the young prince was knocked off his feet and dragged out to sea by the rip.

Reports say his parents were "distressed".

One of our own TRF members has posted their sibling witnessed the incident and those on the beach were "very panicky".

I don't think the Australian surf life-savers knew who the family was. I don't think they are lying.

I don't think they were keeping a special eye out on the Royal children. No-one would be getting special treatment while others in the waves were over-looked.

CP Frederik is reported as personally thanking the young surf life saver.

I think anyone ever caught by a rip at an Australian beach understands how helpless they are in such a situation and are grateful to come out of it.

I can understand them not wanting this to incident to blow up, but I think they've lost this PR exercise, and the original reports are more correct than their later downplaying is.
  #397  
Old 12-20-2015, 03:19 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
I can understand the Danish PR wanting to downplay the situation of how much danger Prince Christian was in - for the residents of Denmark. I don't think they are concerned with how anyone else views the incident.

But all indications are the young prince was knocked off his feet and dragged out to sea by the rip.

Reports say his parents were "distressed".

One of our own TRF members has posted their sibling witnessed the incident and those on the beach were "very panicky".

I don't think the Australian surf life-savers knew who the family was. I don't think they are lying.

I don't think they were keeping a special eye out on the Royal children. No-one would be getting special treatment while others in the waves were over-looked.

Prince Frederik is reported as personally thanking the young surf life saver.

I think anyone ever caught by a rip at an Australian beach understands how helpless they are in such a situation and are grateful to come out of it.

I can understand them not wanting this to incident to blow up, but I think they've lost this PR exercise, and the original reports are more correct than their later downplaying is.
I agree. It happened what happened and I don't see the need of downplaying the incident. There is nothing you can do to prevent this apart from asking your child to be careful. But experience is something else and it doesnt matter if parents are only a short distance away. It doesnt make them careless. Thats why lifeguards are around. Prince Christian was lucky in this situation, it could have gone the other way but so can go any other situation in everyday life, a shark could have appeared out of the blue and bitten him or he could have slipped on a banana peel and died. He is human after all, like other people.

Making experiences, especially for youngsters, goes along with taking calculated risks, in this case swimming in the open ocean like millions of other children do. What do people who are critizise want - that Christian is forbidden to go for a swim? Whats next, don't let him ride a bike? Or that he has to wear a helmet all day because he can trip and hit his head?

I am glad I've grown up in a time where I could enjoy being a kid what included injuring myself during activities and nobody accused my parents of bad parenting (this came to my mind when I read the articles' comments section).
  #398  
Old 12-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
I can understand the Danish PR wanting to downplay the situation of how much danger Prince Christian was in - for the residents of Denmark. I don't think they are concerned with how anyone else views the incident.

But all indications are the young prince was knocked off his feet and dragged out to sea by the rip.

Reports say his parents were "distressed".

One of our own TRF members has posted their sibling witnessed the incident and those on the beach were "very panicky".

I don't think the Australian surf life-savers knew who the family was. I don't think they are lying.

I don't think they were keeping a special eye out on the Royal children. No-one would be getting special treatment while others in the waves were over-looked.

Prince Frederik is reported as personally thanking the young surf life saver.

I think anyone ever caught by a rip at an Australian beach understands how helpless they are in such a situation and are grateful to come out of it.

I can understand them not wanting this to incident to blow up, but I think they've lost this PR exercise, and the original reports are more correct than their later downplaying is.
What I think is that here is a perfect opportunity for Australia to demonstrate the efficiency and effectiveness of your world famous (and, clearly correctly renowned) lifeguards! Just as Canada is famous for its Mounties, Australia is famous for its beach patrol (think Bondi as we have no Australian smileys:(. Here an occasion arrived for the guards to be shown in action; I think Australians should be proud and the Danish grateful. The question of responsibility is irrelevant: Australia has clearly won! Bravo and thank you, life savers!
http://blog.dealsdirect.com.au/wp-co...2/09/santa.jpg
  #399  
Old 12-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
My impression from the video actually was that this was more a precautious action from the lifeguard than a real rescue. It's their job to foresee dangers and not let it come to the worst (like Christian not being able to make it back).
I agree. Less dramatic then was first reported. Probably being more cautious with a situation that can turn really serious really quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I tend to agree with you, Ricarda.

If you listen to what was said in the video, they did not say that Christian, was in danger, but that they intervened before he was in danger and ending up in a situation he couldn't handle.

BB has apparently phoned Lene Balleby and this is what she said to BB: Livredder tjekkede om prins Christian var okay | BILLED-BLADET

Prince Christian was Thursday and the beach Mermaid Beach near Brisbane in Australia with his parents, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and his three younger siblings.
Here the whole family went into the water and swam between the flags. At some point a lifeguard spotted the 10 year old Prince and paddled out to him on his board to see if he was okay. Fortunately everything was as it should be.
"The situation was completely undramatic. The lifeguards were very attentive and checked whether Prince Christian was alright, just to be on the safe side", says the DRF communications chief Lene Balleby to Billed Blade and adds:
It's good the lifeguards do their jobs so well, but in this case there was no danger".


It was the Australian 7 News that Sunday reported that Prince Christian had been rescued to the shore by a lifeguard at the beach at the Gold Coast in eastern Australia, because the undercurrent had got him.
But according to Lene Balleby the Prince wasn't in direct danger, when he was out bathing during the family holiday in Crown Princess Mary's homeland

"The DRF take very calm because the situation was as said before undramatic", says the communications chief of the DRF.
Thanks Muhler
Things like this happen daily and in an instant . It's nice that the lifeguards were attentive and helped prevent something really serious from happening.
That the family continued on the beach says alot to me.


It's reported that Christian and his three siblings were there
I think this one is Vincent with the body board
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0632440875.jpg


nor sure why the kids faces were blurred and not Christian's
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0632530350.jpg

looks like the family is having a great time. And now that they are in the East coast we might see more pictures
Lovely shorts by Frederik
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0630374357.jpg

Christian I think is going to be really tall
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0632821215.jpg
  #400  
Old 12-20-2015, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I agree. It happened what happened and I don't see the need of downplaying the incident. There is nothing you can do to prevent this apart from asking your child to be careful. But experience is something else and it doesnt matter if parents are only a short distance away. It doesnt make them careless. Thats why lifeguards are around. Prince Christian was lucky in this situation, it could have gone the other way but so can go any other situation in everyday life, a shark could have appeared out of the blue and bitten him or he could have slipped on a banana peel and died. He is human after all, like other people.

Making experiences, especially for youngsters, goes along with taking calculated risks, in this case swimming in the open ocean like millions of other children do. What do people who are critizise want - that Christian is forbidden to go for a swim? Whats next, don't let him ride a bike? Or that he has to wear a helmet all day because he can trip and hit his head?

I am glad I've grown up in a time where I could enjoy being a kid what included injuring myself during activities and nobody accused my parents of bad parenting (this came to my mind when I read the articles' comments section).

I agree with this so much
Some are so quick to ask for and blame the parents .
besides keeping the kids inside with the tv on, everything has risks
I think this is a very outdoorsy family who enjoys being active and outside.

I think this incident was less dramatic then a full on rescue, but a big praise for the lifeguards in being aware of everything

hopefully the family continues their relaxing vacation in Australia
my guess is that pretty soon they will be in Tasmania
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 13: July 2014 - September 2015 iceflower Current Events Archive 396 09-01-2015 05:48 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 belgian state visit to japan best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style christening of prince alexander coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events december duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll fashion suggestions gothia cup grand duke jean greece hereditary grand duchess stéphanie's fashion & style kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises