General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 14: September 2015 - December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now back to Frederik and Mary. Today was the last day for Frederik being regent, Joachim has taken over for the weekend.
I think the family is making its way down under. Safe travels to them and I hope they enjoy their first Christmas in Australia :flowers:

I think as they cross the International Dateline the CP Family will lose a day - so if they fly out from Copenhagen on Saturday it will be Monday when they touch-down in Australia.

An advantage on their return trip is they then pick up a day going in the opposite direction - they could leave Oz on December 31st, and arrive back in Denmark on December 31st.

Sun Lion, it's a pleasure to read your information about Tasmania and Tasmanian traditions.
F&M has had a very busy autumn with many official events and I'm truly happy for them and all children to get these three weeks with their Australian family during the Christmas time. I wish them a very deserved Christmas holiday.
(But I'm also going to miss them :) Especially also beacuse we are used to see them out to official duties almost on a daily basis)

Last edited:
Sun Lion, it's a pleasure to read your information about Tasmania and Tasmanian traditions.
F&M has had a very busy autumn with many official events and I'm truly happy for them and all children to get these three weeks with their Australian family during the Christmas time. I wish them a very deserved Christmas holiday.
(But I'm also going to miss them :) Especially also beacuse we are used to see them out to official duties almost on a daily basis)

It's really been fun Roskilde - as I'm sure you and Muhler know from your own regular posts and updates here on the Danish thread about all the various activities and events the CP Couple and their children get up to in Denmark.

I wonder if we will see more of the family on this visit as the twins are not house-bound little babies anymore and may want/need to get outside to burn off some energy.

We've seen CP Mary at the Saturday Salamanca Market on the Hobart waterfront many times over the years, but I wonder if Mary has her own childhood memories of the "Cat and Fiddle Arcade" clock?

The smaller children are just the right age to enjoy this if they are in Hobart's CBD for any last minute Christmas shopping.

The whole arcade has been changed in recent years, but this clock - of the famous nursery rhyme - is something all Tasmanians have seen since it was put in place back in the 1960s.

(There used to be a "Cat and Fiddle" tavern and alleyway back in the old, old days of Hobart.)

Though the children of today have all manner of mavellous and entertaing stuff, this clock is still very dear to a lot of older Tasmanians, and maybe CP Mary too.

(There are now several youtubes of it in action on the internet.)

Last edited:
Here you go, Sun Lion. :)

The Cat and Fiddle Arcade Clock - complete with the southern stars.

Thanks for posting that Muhler - a real icon of Hobart.

(I'm assuming the nursery rhyme is known in Denmark.)

:previous: You are welcome. :)

Nursery rhyme? If there is one about a cat and a fiddle (fiddle is fiol in DK BTW. Just a bit of info for the nerds) I don't know it. Or it has been forgotten over time. I assume it's pretty old.

As to what M&F may come up with of activities for their children:

Well, Bella and Christian, who are older and by now must be at least reasonable proficient in English, will of course be easier to keep busy.
They could easily be brought along to see a performance of some sort. Perhaps a dance show, Bella might like that.
Christian may take part in sport of some sort. Soccer springs to mind. Or try one of the local sports, predominantly those that are popular in Tasmania.

As for the younger children. A trip to the zoo must be considered a must to experience the local wildlife I'd say. I'm sure Vincent will feel an urge to shout at some animals after a couple of days in Tasmania. :p
A bit akin to when the cows come on grass here in DK.

Have you got some kind of family friendly events going on here in December the family can look at? - While entertaining the photographers just like at the Hubertus Hunt.

Are there some kind of semi-official events going on in this month where M&F and family can be invited as guests. - Because then we may get a show like in Greenland.

Or is there a boat they could name or ribbon they could cut? Then we could have a show like on Samsø.

Apart from that I'm sure we'll see the family out and about in Hobart. Bella is soon reaching the "shopping-age".

And I can well imagine the oldest doing something on their own with their Australian cousins.

Last edited:
Skate-boarding is big in Tasmania Muhler.

Most towns and communities have an area of ramps and basins made out of concrete for their youngsters to zoom over on their boards - and bikes - and do their tricks and manouvers on.

This may be something the "cousins" could introduce Prince Christian too - if it's not a Danish thing.

The big yacht race "The Sydney to Hobart" takes off on Boxing Day and sails to the Hobart waterfront where there is then a big party atmosphere - something for Prince Frederik.

There are lots of native animal parks and centres so the children will have no problems feeding the wallabies etc.

They may make the trip down to Port Arthur to check out the convict settlement - and the nighttime ghost tours there are a big success.

That part of Tasmania has very interesting natural formations with a blow-hole, tessalated steps, a narrow isthmus called "Eagle Hawk Neck", a gorge called "The Devil's Kitchen" - plenty of places to explore on the way.

A lot of Tasmania is build on dolorite rock, and some companies now take people out to sea in that area past the various columns and rock formations - and there are seals.

Quite a few places have mazes now for children to run about and get lost - and it will be strawberry season so there are places to go, to pick your own for Christmas dessert.

Here are the words to "The Cat and the Fiddle". The tune playing as the cow and dog come out from the moon, and the dish and spoon from the double-bass, on the you-tube go with these -

"Hey Diddle Diddle, The Cat and the Fiddle,

The Cow Jumped Over the Moon.

The Little Dog Laughed to See Such Fun,

And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon".

Last edited:
:previous: That sounds good for a little family.

Anything with wheels under the feet is popular here in DK! Not least among the boys. - I've bought half a pharmacy in plaster patching my son and his friends up afterwards though!

Apart from that I'm sure we'll see the family out and about in Hobart. Bella is soon reaching the "shopping-age".

And I can well imagine the oldest doing something on their own with their Australian cousins.

If shopping is on the agenda, I hope someone tells them about "Reliquaire" in the little town of Latrobe in the north of Tassie. It has been described as the best shop in the world.

There is a youtube virtual tour on the internet, but this really isn't able to convey the wonder of this place and the things in it.

I know people who travel - even from the south - to look about in it over and over - once they know about it. One visit is not enough.

They're here!

In Western Australia - photo too of CP Mary in the queue at the Margaret River Chocolate Factory.

All the children - playing on the grass as their parents chatted with friends.

Bodyguards in casual clothes and sunnies.

The report says they were there for three-quarters of an hour - and I take it that it happened today, Sunday here in Australia.

CP Mary's brother is living in WA.

Sounds like CP Mary bought the "Rocky Road" chocolate. (That's pink and white marshmallows with coconut, all jumbled together and coated in milk or dark chocolate - if you haven't had it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great. It's about time they visited that part of Australia. :)

We never hear about Perth.

Rocky Road, that's a kind of chocolate presumably?

Great. It's about time they visited that part of Australia. :)

We never hear about Perth.

Rocky Road, that's a kind of chocolate presumably?

I put a description of it on the previous page Muhler. (Can be addictive!)

I cannot believe it!!!!! I live 15 mins from "The Chocolate Factory" in Swan Valley!!!! We quite often go there for coffee and cake while the kids run around on the grass playing soccer or footy!. It's been a really miserable day here today in Perth, the first weekend of our summer, yet temperatures were very much like winter, and its been cloudy and raining on and off all day. I hope they loved it. We always take visitors to Perth there for free chocolate tastings and delicious treats.

Rocky Road is a delicious mix of chocolate, nuts, marshmallow, and jelly or lollies. cut into squares to eat, it is very moreish!

Last edited:
We have Ricky Road Iccream but your version sounds even better :) I bet those 2 candied up 4 year olds were something else ;)

Its a good idea to start in Perth - not only the nature is breathtaking but its also a great first stop for Europeans: Perth is only a few hours from Singapore while flying out directly to Sydney or even Tasmania takes much longer what is no fun with small children. I loved Western Australia and I would have never gone there if a friend wouldnt have advised us. In the end I liked it better than the 'usual' european destination of Australia, the East Coast.

:previous: And then it's there Mary's brother live :)

Great to know they have arrived safely in Australia, let's so hope people and media will give them private life. It must be so fun for the children to spend a Australian "summer Christmas".

Last edited:
Is there a local paper or TV-station in Perth we can keep an eye on?

Nice to see the family have arrived safely and our out and about.
The article states that they were left alone for the most part
"It was all very civilised apparently. People kept their distance, with just a few cheeky photos"

have they visited Perth before in their official visits?
Surely when they dated.

I cannot believe it!!!!! I live 15 mins from "The Chocolate Factory" in Swan Valley!!!! We quite often go there for coffee and cake while the kids run around on the grass playing soccer or footy!. It's been a really miserable day here today in Perth, the first weekend of our summer, yet temperatures were very much like winter, and its been cloudy and raining on and off all day. I hope they loved it. We always take visitors to Perth there for free chocolate tastings and delicious treats.

Rocky Road is a delicious mix of chocolate, nuts, marshmallow, and jelly or lollies. cut into squares to eat, it is very moreish!

That's a thrill missjane - do you have any photos of the complex that you can post?

Seems like the weather is going to be better there today - I wonder if they will go to Cottesloe Beach for a swim at some stage.

We're on Daylight Savings/Summer Time here in the east - so I think there is a three hour difference between here/Tasmania and over in Perth.

Muhler, try Channel Seven's internet site Yahoo 7 - they were broadcasting the photo of CP Mary in the chocolate queue nationally on TV this morning.

I haven't seen any video footage, but if there is any taken during the Oz visit, it will be posted there after being on the telly.

And ninemsn for Channel Nine.

Last edited:
There is a website you can visit to see what its like, chocolate factory.com.au and click on 'Swan Valley'. I don't now how to link it, sorry.

They definitely haven't visited Perth before in an official capacity and if they have visited privately, it was very much under the radar!!

There is a website you can visit to see what its like, chocolate factory.com.au and click on 'Swan Valley'. I don't now how to link it, sorry.

They definitely haven't visited Perth before in an official capacity and if they have visited privately, it was very much under the radar!!

Thanks missjane - I'll check that out.

Another newspaper is quoting the chocolate factory owner as saying "the kids had an ice-cream".

Glad they're already in the swing of things for summer.

Great youtube mitchell - no wonder the family went there.

Hope you caught the final shot Muhler - that's a stack of "Rocky Road" ready to go!

(And the chocolate visit story and photo made the mid-morning TV news, as well as the breakfast shows.)

Another photo is now out.

CP Mary and her sister-in-law - who was standing behind her in the original photo - are now pictured sitting down with other family members and take-away coffees.

People who were present, took photos and posted them, said the visit was around 1.00pm local time yesterday - Sunday.

("Perth Now" - sorry, I can't link.)

Another photo is now out.

CP Mary and her sister-in-law - who was standing behind her in the original photo - are now pictured sitting down with other family members and take-away coffees.

People who were present, took photos and posted them, said the visit was around 1.00pm local time yesterday - Sunday.

("Perth Now" - sorry, I can't link.)

Here's the link: No Cookies | Perth Now

You can see Josephine in the shot?

Although we haven't yet seen a photo of CP Frederik from yesterday - there are now quotes from people there of how he lined up with CP Mary to taste the choc buds before sitting outside with the children and their ice-creams while Mary ordered her coffee.

"In the photo she looks grumpy but she wasn't" says one of the people who photographed the family.

(Thanks for posting the link to the second photo Chimene. I won't be suprised if more photos come out.)

Aha! - CP Mary is a dark "Rocky Road" lover - like me - (as opposed to the milk chocolate version).

There is now a clip from the WA Channel Nine Today show with a little first-hand interview with one of the staff online.

Monday afternoon here and we're having ads for the evening TV news with the first chocolate visit photo - so this has become quite a big story here in Oz.

(Also reported as part of the afternoon TV news broadcast - how many times have I seen that photo now!)

Here's the link: No Cookies | Perth Now

You can see Josephine in the shot?

This second photo - in a bigger and sharper version - from the chocolate visit has now been used by "Daily Mail Australia".

They are saying that is young Princess Josephine at the table Chimene.

And CP Mary's brother is also in the shot.

And perhaps that is Princess Isabella at the end of the table, wearing her hat.

(And both girls just about to finish off their ice-cream cones.)

I live in Perth and have been to that chocolate factory and good golly you can easily run up a hefty bill if you are a chocolate lover. It's beautiful, scenic and you meet lots of visitors.

They look to having a relaxing and lovely time with Mary's brother, his wife Leanne and their girls. It's Mary's brother, his wife and one of his daughters we can see in the photo together with Mary, Josephine and Isabella.

F&M are down to earth royals, and it is their style to blending in just like everyone else. I fully understand that Australia is proud and excited and think it's cool how F&M just doing things like all other ordinary people, and together with them.

But dear Australian, I hope this is not going to be the way for their whole visit. I hope this is just the excitement of the first information knowing they now are here and have arrived safely in Australia.

As much as I enjoy knowing what the CP Family are doing, I really hope they get to have fun with their Australian family privately! :heart:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom