General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 13: July 2014 - September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I will post it in this thread:

The tourists at Amalienborg Palace got them a nice view of Frederik last Thursday. Suddenly the gate opened and out from Frederik VIII's Palace came Frederik on his bicycle. Frederik was going to meet up with a team from the Chinese TV station Hunan and they were going for a ride along the harbor with Frederik as their guide.

First stop was the Gefion fountain at the end of Amaliegade against the Citadel. Afterwards they continued to Langelinie and here Frederik also gave an interview. The hour and a half long documentary about Denmark will be sent in November or December in China. The camera crews started their recordings when Margrethe and Henrik earlier this year visited China.

The magazine noticed how very proud Frederik looked when he showed off his country and city. He responded with joy in his voice at all the many questions from the reporters, pointing eagerly out the many things at the harbor when they made a stop at Langelinie (also where Mary lived shortly before she and Frederik moved together).

Picture of Frederik the city guide:
http://herognu.com/upload/Her og Nu/2014/44/Onsdag/frederik_b.jpg

Article:
Kronprins Frederik som cykelguide - Her og Nu

I usually don't buy Her&Nu, but we always have the weekly magazines at my workplace, so I'll take a look at it and post the article and the pictures some time tomorrow...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Great pics I am sure the doco will be well received in China. You should get a great influx of tourists from this doco. Especially as the ladies will think Fred is such a handsome prince. Also it looks like they brought there own camera bike with them to make the documentary.

Now for something amusing.

The satirical yearly Blæksprutten (The Octopus) is closing after 125 years, and one of the last to be lovingly charicatured in the booklet is Frederik (and Mary): http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/912/7/7912012-kronprins-blksprutte.jpg

The reason for naming Frederik the Blæksprutte (octopus) of the Year is: The choice of Crown Prince Frederik is a natural to the jury, who see our Crown Prince as a man you can cope at sea and who master the noble art of multi-tasking...When the Crown Prince therefore recieve the honor it's not least because he has always been an aquatic animal.
It is however true that Crown Princess Mary is an Aquarious but His Royal Highness has been a frogman and allegedly a penguin and he is and will remain an octopus. Not only does he have to joggle with a not insignificant flock of children, which takes a toll on any man, he also have a number of official duties to attend.

Hæder: Kronprins Frederik er historiens sidste Blæksprutte - Royale | www.bt.dk

Last edited by a moderator:
Now for something amusing.

The satirical yearly Blæksprutten (The Octopus) is closing after 125 years, and one of the last to be lovingly charicatured in the booklet is Frederik (and Mary): http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/912/7/7912012-kronprins-blksprutte.jpg

The reason for naming Frederik the Blæksprutte (octopus) of the Year is: The choice of Crown Prince Frederik is a natural to the jury, who see our Crown Prince as a man you can cope at sea and who master the noble art of multi-tasking...When the Crown Prince therefore recieve the honor it's not least because he has always been an aquatic animal.
It is however true that Crown Princess Mary is an Aquarious but His Royal Highness has been a frogman and allegedly a penguin and he is and will remain an octopus. Not only does he have to joggle with a not insignificant flock of children, which takes a toll on any man, he also have a number of official duties to attend.

yes I see a straight to Tv movie ala will and kate. :bang:

Now to the cartoon, its funny i guess. Frederik is more handsome than that ;) but I guess he does juggle many roles, action man and prince :p
maybe im not really understanding the "honor"

yes I see a straight to Tv movie ala will and kate. :bang:

Now to the cartoon, its funny i guess. Frederik is more handsome than that ;) but I guess he does juggle many roles, action man and prince :p
maybe im not really understanding the "honor"

Well, it's loving satire.

However, I've always thought Blæksprutten to be a bit dull. I prefer another old Yearly satirical booklet, Svikmøllen. Their satire and charicatures have much more bite and are more funny.
It was in Svikmøllen many years ago, right after the intruder into QEII's bedroom, that they featured a a cartoon of two smug looking police officers standing in the door to QMII's bedroom, with QMII in the bed (with a cigarette of course) holding PH between them. One of the officers saying: "Your Majesty, we have apprehended an immigrant trying to sneak into your bedchamber". :D:sad::D

Well, it's loving satire.

However, I've always thought Blæksprutten to be a bit dull. I prefer another old Yearly satirical booklet, Svikmøllen. Their satire and charicatures have much more bite and are more funny.
It was in Svikmøllen many years ago, right after the intruder into QEII's bedroom, that they featured a a cartoon of two smug looking police officers standing in the door to QMII's bedroom, with QMII in the bed (with a cigarette of course) holding PH between them. One of the officers saying: "Your Majesty, we have apprehended an immigrant trying to sneak into your bedchamber". :D:sad::D

LOL :ROFLMAO: that is hilarious

Thanks Muhler :flowers:

Kongehuset is covering the 'Årets Blæksprutte' loving satire as well
- and has published a new picture of Frederik:
Årets Blæksprutte - Kongehuset

"The choice of Crown Prince Frederik is a natural to the jury, who see our Crown Prince as a man you can cope at sea and who master the noble art of multi-tasking... When the Crown Prince therefore recieve the honor it's not least because he has always been an aquatic animal.
It is however true that Crown Princess Mary is an Aquarious, but His Royal Highness has been a frogman and allegedly a penguin and he is and will remain an octopus. Not only does he have to joggle with a not insignificant flock of children, which takes a toll on any man, he also have a number of official duties to attend. His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik has with determination, charm and huge talent pursued all these diverse tasks. This year's Octopus is the last one. Therefore, we are particularly pleased that the year Octopus is Crown Prince Frederik."

Last edited:
Yes that is a lovely pic of Fred, isn't he wearing The Red Pants here tho. Just goes to show he can still look good despite whatever he wears. Personally I don't mind The Red Pants.

Last edited:
One of the things that makes F&M popular is that they mingle with the Danish people. That it's not unlikely to see them on the streets in town, see them at Roskilde Festival, meet them at their way to the kindergarten with the children.....Or to sit among them at a scheduled & low cost airline.

Her&Nu tells that on the way to and from Berlin where Mary last week was honored with her Bambi Award, Frederik and Mary flew with a low cost scheduled flights among all other and apparently including Her&Nu's reporters as well who sat some seats behind F&M. They tell it was good Frederik had chosen himself some Danish newspapers for slow security in Tegel Airport resulted in Frederik and Mary and the rest of the plane had to wait over half an hour on a handful of passengers who were stuck in the security check.

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net...=d699ac93d17e62c1ec1618249c296710&oe=551E8698

Last edited:
A note from this weeks Her&Nu. Frederik and Mary were last Saturday evening seen out having dinner together without the children. F&M were seen in the meatpacking district (in Danish 'Kødbyen' which is a popular folksy place to eat) in Copenhagen at the restaurant Gorilla. The staff says F&M loved the food and they enjoyed themselves. They were very down to earth and not many discovered who they were.

I post this because 'Gorilla' is one of my husband and my favorite places to eat when we're Copenhagen. So a little funny.

Here's a little about the resturant which serves "down to earth food with high yummie effect in the meatpacking district. Here you find both lobster, gyoza, falafel and banana pie on the menu."

Gorilla - Restaurant og café | AOK

Last edited:
A note from this weeks Her&Nu. Frederik and Mary were last Saturday evening seen out having dinner together without the children. F&M were seen in the meatpacking district (in Danish 'Kødbyen' which is a popular folksy place to eat) in Copenhagen at the restaurant Gorilla. The staff says F&M loved the food and they enjoyed themselves. They were very down to earth and not many discovered who they were.

I post this because 'Gorilla' is one of my husband and my favorite places to eat when we're Copenhagen. So a little funny.

Here's a little about the resturant which serves "down to earth food with high yummie effect in the meatpacking district. Here you find both lobster, gyoza, falafel and banana pie on the menu."

Gorilla - Restaurant og café | AOK

What fun, Roskilde! :flowers: Your personal connection, and positive review (plus link), tells me we'll be checking it out the next time we're in Copenhagen, which won't be for a while, but still. ;)

:previous:

You are welcome Lady Nimue - I can highly recommend it :flowers:

'Kødbyen' used to be a 'come and drink a beer-place', but is now a gastronomic mecca - good food with good ingredients at reasonable prices.

And who knows, maybe F&M will sit at the table next to you :p

I can see Frederik and Mary has a quieter week or two ahead of them, at least compared to what they have had the last months. Most likely because it was this week they originally should have been on the official visit to Japan to promote Greenland, but due to the Greenland election the visit has been canceled. (A good guess is F&M at some points only enjoys having more time to enjoy the cozy Christmas days with the children instead.)

Last edited:
:previous:thanks for the little stories. Always nice to hear them:flowers:.

Such a shame the Japan trip is off, would have been great.
and yes a quiet week ahead. They each have one official event this week, and besides Frederik being regent until the 7th, it will be quiet officially.

I would like to advise our Australian members to be very beware of when the Australian gossip magazines now and then write something from a Danish media.

It seems like the Australian gossip magazine as 'New Idea' takes the slightest little phrase and blowing it up into something totally unrecognizable. And moreover add totally self-invented quotes. It's almost laughable. Is it really in a local news site? I hope not!

This book called 'Livvagten' is written by a former bodyguard of our former Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen. 99.9% of the book is about his time as a bodyguard for him. Less than 0.1% of other people. Including a few innocent phrases about working as a royal bodyguard for the Danish royals. Which has received only a few lines of coverage in a Danish gossip magazine some weeks ago. He tells quite simple (which is also described in the article) that the hardest part as a bodyguard is not to become friends with the people they protect. Because you quickly get protectiveness when you're bodyguard for people. But not the slightest friendship may occur, you will need to be quite cold. It's has happened a few times as a bodyguard for the different Danish royals.

Not to criticize your Australian gossip magazines, but they surely are inventive. It is incredible how something can 'become a story' on the way from Denmark until it reaches the other side of the world :lol:

Last edited:
You are right, Roskilde.

The note that Frederik was almost ejected from the military is also a simplification.
That was while he tried to become a member of the Frogman Corps. He had problems with one of the physical tests but he did make it, - just.
However had he failed he would not have been ejected from the military, he would merely not have become a Frogman.
Frederik has told about that story himself in the portrait book from 2008, incidentally translated and posted here somewhere.

ADDED: Daily Mail has picked up on the story too: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...uards-lose-jobs-fears-close-her.html#comments

Last edited:
From Facebook: One of the many post I see on Facebook from 'people-on-the street' meeting our Crown Prince Family around in the streets.

On Monday I was in Copenhagen, it's not often that happens. While I was running at one of the small streets, I suddenly see a couple coming. I'm looking at them, looking away... Looking so again - can it be true? Yes, it is Frederik and Mary. It looked so cozy and Mary on their Christiania bike and Frederik with the dog. It warms me by the thought of living in a country where our Crown Prince couple can cycle freely around the streets AND that they choose to do it ..!
Thanks. Betina Staunsbjerg.

A very good guess is that F&M had just delivered or were on their way to pick up Vincent and Josephine in kindergarten.

Just as we have seen many times before: Mary on the cargo bike with room for the children and Frederik with Ziggy :)

In summers: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd...._=1426043218_7281511004d18c3bdc27c7215b403e97

Last edited:
Yes indeed, 'New Idea' is just one of Australasia's many "women's magazines" that are really nothing more that gossip rags, in short they are tabloids, so have at it Roskilde and Muhler.

As to the (not very) New Idea and Mail, can either of you give us a kind of "original from the book versus the Mail? Since the subtext is so explicit, what with Mary's 'innocent rapport' (flirtatious nature), Mary's distress (oops, I overdid it), Frederiks rage (bloody Mary!), etc, ad nauseum. :censored:

:previous:Many decades ago there was a magazine called *Life* and in it they had pictures of QM cycling around Copenhagen, she was stopping and talking to the people in the streets, her security was also on bikes and she was doing her own thing.....I thought that was just amazing, to be queen of a country and go out on your bike talking to the people, what an amazing queen/woman she must be......I never forgot that picture and it has helped make a great impression on me of the royal family and the people of Denmark who weren't surprised to see their queen on a bike being one of them. Now it seems her son and his family do the same.....what a wonderful royal family and how delightful it must be for the people to see that their first family is just like them...doing their own thing and using bikes to to get around.:)

Well, that's the problem.

There is nothing from that book that hasn't already been public knowledge.
There is hardly anything at all about the author protecting the DRF, presumably because he was attached to the then PM.

It's no secret that protection officers rotate, simply to avoid getting too close with those they protect. But also to avoid routines and complacency.
If a protection officer oversteps the line he will be reassigned or in serious cases booted out of the protection section.

Whatever happened it apparantly has been interesting or serious enough for any other media but Ekstra Bladet and SE & Hør to even mention it. Instead they write about the author's time as bodyguard for the PM.
That's also the reason why I haven't bothered to write about the book here on TRF. And I won't bother buy a book in order to read perhaps a paragraph on the DRF.

I remember F&M and Margrethe too has said that they are very grateful that it can so easily be done. People sometimes recognize them yes, they get a smile and a nod, but no more. Danes are generally very good to let our wellknown faces in peace on the streets.

If I am to speculate, the most likely scenario for having a protection officer reassigned because he or she is getting too close, is if they gossip too much or about too intimate details among the colleagues.
Something like: "Phew! - The china was almost flying between Mary and Frederik today"! Or quoting Mary for saying something like: "I can't stand that cow! The PM is always rubbing herself against Frederik"!
You know, private things that are not necessary for others to hear about.
Gossip like: "Don't ever mention Manchester United around the Crown Prince! That can completely ruin his day" could be considered necessary gossip. :p

Or a protection officer has commented to say Mary about something he has overheard or has said his opinion about a particular subject.

I don't even think it's something like a protection officer developing a crush on say Mary, that would lead to instant dismissal, I'm sure.

From Facebook: One of the many post I see on Facebook from 'people-on-the street' meeting our Crown Prince Family around in the streets.

A very good guess is that F&M had just delivered or were on their way to pick up Vincent and Josephine in kindergarten.

Just as we have seen many times before: Mary on the cargo bike with room for the children and Frederik with Ziggy :)

In summers: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd...._=1426043218_7281511004d18c3bdc27c7215b403e97

I keep saying how cool this is:flowers:
thanks for sharing Roskilde

It wouldnt be too cold in DK to bike around?
I know for Danes its no problem but for a southern California girl like me, it would definitely be too cold. ;)

You are right, Roskilde.

The note that Frederik was almost ejected from the military is also a simplification.
That was while he tried to become a member of the Frogman Corps. He had problems with one of the physical tests but he did make it, - just.
However had he failed he would not have been ejected from the military, he would merely not have become a Frogman.
Frederik has told about that story himself in the portrait book from 2008, incidentally translated and posted here somewhere.

ADDED: Daily Mail has picked up on the story too: Princess Mary's bodyguards 'lost their jobs because they got too close to her,' new book claims | Daily Mail Online

agree on all counts. this story is really a non issue but of course the dailymail or the Australian tabloid would pick it up and turn it to something juicy.
that last sentence was laughable at best. I remembered from your translations about Frederik and his frogman tests. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep saying how cool this is:flowers:
thanks for sharing Roskilde

It wouldnt be too cold in DK to bike around?
I know for Danes its no problem but for a southern California girl like me, it would definitely be too cold. ;)

:lol: Well, you just move your legs a little more, right? It's your hands that will be a problem, but after you have had to use a crowbar to remove your hands from the handles once, you'll learn to use gloves. :D

Haha :lol:

Or when your hands are so cracked by frost and the wind that you can peel carrots with them :lol:

The hands are the worst yes. But we Danes bikes around in all weathers. Rain, snow and wind. Not that we like it, but we do it :p I cycle to and from work every day and as Frederik and Mary to and from kindergarten with my two youngest ones.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1SpWLi2fP...yUm8oxz5IEM/s1600/Cykling_i_snevejr.ashx.jpeg
Here is a typical picture from those days where we get up in the morning, look out the window and think "Why on earth isn't I are living in a warmer country?" And yes, you Polyesco as a Southern California girl would probably have a hard time at your first biking around in snow, but it becomes a habit. Just as it has become an everyday thing for Mary who also comes from warmer climates.

But you know what, in return there's nothing better than coming home after the bike ride home from work. Into the warm house, candles and fire in the fireplace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom