General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 13: July 2014 - September 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Great words to Mary from one of our most talented and respected Danish journalist and foreign correspondent, Ulla Terkelsen. You might remember Ulla Terkelsen from when she back in 2012 interviewed Queen Margrethe at Amalienborg with the pillow episode :flowers:

Our annual program "The year there has passed by" which is always sent late in December from the Opera was this year recorded last night (will be sent on TV2 later this month). Ulla Terkelsen are invited and talks about her many experiences through 2014 where she many times highlights the 17-year-old Pakistani woman Malala who received the Nobel Prize in Oslo.

But if Ulla Terkelsen herself should emphasize a Dane who she is proud of?

- "If I should highlight a Dane it must be Crown Princess Mary. She is very good at her job. She takes her job serious and she is diligent and I like when people are that."

I post it here because she is such a journalist who says what she means. And because it again tells very much about how well Mary has done it in the only 10 years as Crown Princess of Denmark. When people, and very respected people, says 'Crown Princess Mary' when they are asked to highlight a Dane they are most proud of.

Ekstra Bladet - Ulla Terkelsens dystre profeti: 2015 bliver meget værre

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks, Roskilde. :flowers:

Yes, when Ulla Terkelsen opens her mouth you can usually expect something intelligent to come out, certainly well researched.

Apart from being an extremely experienced foreign correspondent she is almost always called home when major royal events are covered.
Especially the BRF, which she cover in an informative, witty and no nonsense way.
She is pro-monarchy both here in DK as well as in Britain, where she used to live. But she is by no means naïve or blue eyed.

:previous:

Thank Polyesco :flowers:

The interview begins like this:

"The Crown Prince receives in Frederik VIII's Palace at Amalienborg. Royal blue shirt, dotted tie, straight back and a firm handshake. We are sitting in the Crown Prince's meeting room where the world is unfolds on the walls. The large chandelier in the front office is antique and by crystal - part of the package when you are heir to the throne. The art on the walls are in turn 21st century and streetart-inspired. It's lively artists as Tal R and Morten Schelde who have decorated. This is also how Crown Prince Frederik is. He stands with one foot in the tradition in the Royal House and the other foot in the present out among his people. And he balances beautifully(...)"

It has been two quiet weeks for F&M and children. For the entire Danish royal family for that matter. F&M's official visit to Japan was canceled and it has give F&M some additional space for quality time with the children during the Christmas days.

The Crown Prince family didn't attended this year's Christmas concert in the Esajas church as many have noticed. And it is indeed also very sweet Christmas pictures of the family. But there comes a Christmas again next year. But that's why I think F&M and children have used the extra space in the calendar to do things they normally don't reach.

According to Her&Nu Frederik, Mary and all four children spent last weekend in North Jutland. Here they visited their close friends and spent the days in the forests and in nature (the Danish weather is still reminiscent of something from October) They enjoyed the days with the Skeel family (some of their closest friends) in Aabybro. Jørgen and Malou Skeel's son Holger is the same age as Christian. The days were spent on going hunting in the forests after some dinner they could eat. And Christian has before been out on these hunts with daddy. Frederik has before told: "My children, like so many other children, prefer to eat spaghetti bolognese, but I insist they should learn where food comes from and not least the pleasures of food that taste of nature. It requires that they come out."

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd....419_392788754213716_8941584143551890687_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Nice info, Roskilde.

They no doubt stayed for at least some days at Trend. They do seem to love that place.
In the autumn weather we have had this December that would have been a change from Copenhagen.

Mary is no doubt familiar with forests but a Nordic forest in winter time is naturally different from Tasmania. First and foremost it's dark! Just fifty meters from the lodge, despite lights from the windows and lights along the lane to the lodge, you literally can't see your feet. Trend is so far from anything that there are no reflections from the clouds to think of. And it's silent, the naked trees and pines muffle all sounds.
Dawn starts at 08.00 and if there is an overcast it never gets really light until dusk starts to set in a little after 14.00 and by 16.00 it's darker than in a coalmine.
So you cuddle up inside, with "hyggelys" = small lamps in the corners and more or less everywhere else, and naturally lots of candles, with a crackling fire in the fireplace. (*)
And there they sit in the dimmed light in front of the fireplace. Sitting in a couch, under a blanket with a glass of wine, with Ziggy lying in front of the fire gnawing on a bone to the sound of the rain whipping against the window panes. There is nothing to see through the windows but blackness. Sometimes a gust of wind makes the windows creak slightly in protest.
The twins are asleep, Bella and Christian can be heard talking about something in the other end of the lodge.
And right now you are alone, completely isolated from the rest of the world. It's almost a sacriledge to turn on the TV, the mobile, or even music. There is no need to say anything, silence is better. And you feel warm and safe here in your little burrow.

Walking in the forest the next day, among naked trees, among firs - in silence, because the dead needles muffles your steps, it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to believe that around the next bend there is a pancake-house.
But once you step out of the forest near the fjord, the sky is suddenly endless and blindingly bright, especially when it's overcast.

And Frederik can tell his children in the bed about the wolves watching the lodge right now. Which they might actually do...

(*) For those interested, this is "hyggebelysning" = cosy mood lighting: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dHfcpUIl1BI/S_B81hoyCQI/AAAAAAAABbs/FfS8XbAui9U/s1600/olavstorp08sm.jpg
http://i.boliga.org/ss/x1400y933/bssw/x25y25o100w0/172033.jpg

Last edited:
You have a special way with imagery...it is easy to see Fredericks Viking ancestor waiting out the long cold 9th century winter nights by the fire in the long house telling enthralled children of giants and gods and hero's. Mother is spinning warm clothes while the animals brought in for the winter are lowing as the children drift off to be Loki or Thor in their dreams.

:previous: Wonderful :lol:

Hemmingway, go home and weep. :notworthy:

The idea of all Norseman as blood thirsty horned savages needs to go the way of all insulting stereotypes. Most people were farmers and traders, not berserkers ravishing maidens and stealing away their booties...well, any more than was normal back then anyway:whistling:

:previous: Don't get me started on that subject! :lol:

I think it can be boiled down to one sentence: The Vikings (or Norsemen is perhaps a better name) were brilliant opportunists.

Last edited:
They did it with style...Seriously, early Norse earls of Orkney were nicknamed the 'Skull Splitter' followed by a 'Harvist-Happy'.

:previous: Nice info, Roskilde.

They no doubt stayed for at least some days at Trend. They do seem to love that place.
In the autumn weather we have had this December that would have been a change from Copenhagen.

Mary is no doubt familiar with forests but a Nordic forest in winter time is naturally different from Tasmania. First and foremost it's dark! Just fifty meters from the lodge, despite lights from the windows and lights along the lane to the lodge, you literally can't see your feet. Trend is so far from anything that there are no reflections from the clouds to think of. And it's silent, the naked trees and pines muffle all sounds.
Dawn starts at 08.00 and if there is an overcast it never gets really light until dusk starts to set in a little after 14.00 and by 16.00 it's darker than in a coalmine.
So you cuddle up inside, with "hyggelys" = small lamps in the corners and more or less everywhere else, and naturally lots of candles, with a crackling fire in the fireplace. (*)
And there they sit in the dimmed light in front of the fireplace. Sitting in a couch, under a blanket with a glass of wine, with Ziggy lying in front of the fire gnawing on a bone to the sound of the rain whipping against the window panes. There is nothing to see through the windows but blackness. Sometimes a gust of wind makes the windows creak slightly in protest.
The twins are asleep, Bella and Christian can be heard talking about something in the other end of the lodge.
And right now you are alone, completely isolated from the rest of the world. It's almost a sacriledge to turn on the TV, the mobile, or even music. There is no need to say anything, silence is better. And you feel warm and safe here in your little burrow.

Walking in the forest the next day, among naked trees, among firs - in silence, because the dead needles muffles your steps, it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to believe that around the next bend there is a pancake-house.
But once you step out of the forest near the fjord, the sky is suddenly endless and blindingly bright, especially when it's overcast.

And Frederik can tell his children in the bed about the wolves watching the lodge right now. Which they might actually do...

(*) For those interested, this is "hyggebelysning" = cosy mood lighting: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dHfcpUIl1BI/S_B81hoyCQI/AAAAAAAABbs/FfS8XbAui9U/s1600/olavstorp08sm.jpg
http://i.boliga.org/ss/x1400y933/bssw/x25y25o100w0/172033.jpg

What a wonderful description, Muhler! Love it! :flowers: Very evocative.

Tonight DR will send their annual TV show "Christmas Greetings from Greenland". DR have sent the traditional broadcast since 1932. During the show Frederik sends his greeting to Greenland and thanks on behalf of Mary and the children for the fantastic trip to Greenland. Vincent and Josephine he of course mentions as Prince Minik and Princess Ivalo:

- The immediate cordiality which I always experience in Greenland my children became a part of. The Crown Princess and I, Prince Christian and Princess Isabella, Prince Minik and Princess Ivalo would like to wish all of you in Greenland a very happy Christmas.

VIDEO Gør som Kronprinsen: Send din julehilsen til Grønland | Jul i DR | DR

Muhler you have set a wonderful cozy scene with your narrative on Trend. Thank you.

:previous: Thanks :flowers:

Mary is godmother to Josephine Flemming. And the picture is taken in Copenhagen last Saturday (20th December) when Josephine Flemming celebrated her 8th birthday.

Text at the picture: "A very happy birthday girl - Josephine eight years - happy birthday"

Tonight DR will send their annual TV show "Christmas Greetings from Greenland". DR have sent the traditional broadcast since 1932. During the show Frederik sends his greeting to Greenland and thanks on behalf of Mary and the children for the fantastic trip to Greenland. Vincent and Josephine he of course mentions as Prince Minik and Princess Ivalo:

- The immediate cordiality which I always experience in Greenland my children became a part of. The Crown Princess and I, Prince Christian and Princess Isabella, Prince Minik and Princess Ivalo would like to wish all of you in Greenland a very happy Christmas.

VIDEO Gør som Kronprinsen: Send din julehilsen til Grønland | Jul i DR | DR

How nice:flowers:
and Frederik with the pink tie :wub::wub:
its cute that he uses the names Minik and Ivalo

Muhler, you've outdone yourself with that lovely description of night at the lodge in Trend. It reminded me of the days when I used to live in the country.

Thank you for the kind words, ladies. :flowers:

Last edited:
Daily Mail has a let's-write-something-anything-about-Mary article today: Inside Princess Mary's stunning Danish palace* | Daily Mail Online

This time comparing her modest childhood home (You almost get the impression she and her family used to live in a rolled up newspaper inside a septic tank) with her new home at Amalienborg complete with several year old photos.

I guess we can put this here: Forvirring i Kina: Hvem er Frederik, og hvem er Joachim? | Nyhederne.tv2.dk

(The second clip is mostly devoted to Frederik).

As you know one of the most important roles of the DRF is to promote DK.
A popular Chinese TV-show (200 million viewers) has for the first time send their hosts to a European country and DK was selected.
The reason apparently being that DK has a good brand in China. H.C. Andersen is mandatory reading in Chinese schools and has been so for many, many years. (Because his fairy tales can be interpreted in a very Maoist way if need be). QMII was the first monarch to visit Communist China back in the 70's.
To the Chinese middle class especially Danish design and products has a good rapport. The welfare system is also very palatable to the one party capitalism they have in China.
That includes selling fully packaged welfare systems to China, like kindergartens and retirement homes designed, build and run according to Danish principles. Including Free from Bullying. (While we in DK debate as to whether we should change our educational system to be more like the Chinese. It is indeed a strange world)!

As such the DRF has been to China several times in recent years to promote Danish commerce and QMII got a surprisingly good and wide coverage on her recent state visit there.
It also helps that DK is a small country that poses absolutely no political threat to china.

As such Frederik was shanghaied (couldn't resist :p) to act as tour guide for the Chinese Tv-crew to cycle to the Little Mermaid. She's located a little kilometer down the quay from Amalienborg. Alas, they got his name wrong. Oh, well... :lol:

But the coverage helps! The last time a similar Tv-show aired a show about DK the embassy was flooded with requests for visas to DK. And we absolutely love Chinese tourists! They are little fuss and they spend a lot of money in our most expensive tourists traps. :D

Last edited:
Competing biopics to chart lives and romance of Danish royal couple | World news | The Guardian
She has been described as the Australian Kate Middleton, while he is a more follicly gifted Prince William. Now the lives of the Danish crown princess, Mary, and the crown prince, Frederik, are to be depicted on screen in 2015 with two television projects charting their lives and romance.

Neither project has been approved by the palace, but Mary: The Making of a Princess is billed as a “true life fairytale” about how Australian Mary Donaldson met Prince Frederik at a Sydney pub in 2000. Her prince will be getting the biopic treatment in Frederik’s Young Years – focusing on his playboy reputation in the 1990s.

"The Australian Kate Middleton" – only, wouldn't it be the other way around since Mary and Frederik married long before marriage was even a topic between William and Catherine? :bang:

Daily Mail has a let's-write-something-anything-about-Mary article today: Inside Princess Mary's stunning Danish palace* | Daily Mail Online

This time comparing her modest childhood home (You almost get the impression she and her family used to live in a rolled up newspaper inside a septic tank) with her new home at Amalienborg complete with several year old photos.
Tak Muhler! This is wonderful. I've never seen so many photos of the reception area of the CP couple's home at Amailenborg. :flowers:

"he is a more follicly gifted Prince William" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
oh Dailymail:whistling:

Interesting the China Documentary, cant get better with Frederik as a tour guide ;)

I was thinking about the China documentary before xmas. It seems a shame we won't get to see it here in Australia. I hope you all enjoy it in Denmark.

The Danish royals are about to be given a Hollywood makeover - two films are being made about the Crown Prince Of Denmark and his colourful love life.
The first biopic, called Frederik's Young Years, will cover the Crown Prince Frederik's past as a prolific playboy.
The second, called Mary: The Making of A Princess, will focus on his fairy tale romance with his now-wife, the Australian 'commoner' Mary Donaldson, who he met in a pub in Sydney 14 years ago.

Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Mary to get TWO films made about their love lives | Daily Mail Online

Had a closer look at the newly published pics of Amalienborg Square. (Me loves details :p) http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe...lads-vinter-2014/amalienborg-slotsplads-5.img
The pic was taken on the 29th at 12.01. - A cold day as you can see.
M&F are in residence because the flag is up and they have just lit up a cozy fire in the fireplace.
Because at 11.57 there was no smoke from the chimney.
http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe...splads-vinter-2014/amalienborg-slotsplads.img

BTW: Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Looks lovely!! Out of interest does a flag only fly when they are in residence?

:previous: Yes. :)

Notice the mansion with the scaffolding, the RC's mansion. No flag, because QMII and PH now reside at Fredensborg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom