General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 9: May - December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree entirely. I believe in the UK parents can actually be prosecuted for taking their children out of school for family holidays.

Not so in Denmark. Although it is an issue that parents take the children out of school a week before the winter break to go skiing etc. coming back the week the rest of the kids are on the official break.

I suppose it goes to prove though, it's one rule for them and another for the rest of us.
Yup. There's the proof. What will the world come to? I too think it should be possible to prosecute Danish royalty for breaking UK standards, even if they're not in the UK. Also, any other issue I might find offensive or unfair should also make them subject to prosecution.
This is in no way a petty, sour-grape attitude and whether you agree or disagree, it ought to result in some sort of prosecution or reprimand for the DRF. How dare they?

Also, are the Danes really happy that their CP couple appears to have no intention of doing any actual work this month?

Personally, I have no problem with it. I sense that you do, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIts all fine but then his parents shouldnt always brag about how "normal" their kids are because if it suits them, all of a sudden they are not as normal anymore. Holiday breaks are there for a purpose but of course if you are royal, feel free to do what you want.

That is simply not true Duke; first of all, when and where have M&F 'bragged' about being normal? All royals make choices without explaining the reason for their particular choice to the media. I don't see how that amounts to bragging.

Taking children out of school outside holiday breaks is not limited to royals. I've had three children through the educational system here and lots of parents have done that in my experience - often just to be able to go on a holiday with their children at a price they can afford.
So the 'feel free to do what you want' is misplaced in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
I think a child running across a junction without stopping or looking is always dangerous, whether you see a car in that particular moment or not. In case a car or a bike would have passed he could have been seriously injured or even worse.

To say I am just "dreaming up problems" is actually a slap in the face of all those who worry about road safety education for children - that is obviously badly needed because of thousands of incidents where kids arent as lucky as Prince Christian.
Do you know the junction? Do we know that Christian didn't look? Could be there's a clear view from where he begins running, in both directions.

Its all fine but then his parents shouldnt always brag about how "normal" their kids are because if it suits them, all of a sudden they are not as normal anymore. Holiday breaks are there for a purpose but of course if you are royal, feel free to do what you want.

They brag about it? I think Christian, Isabella etc. live quite "normal" lives, or as normal as it gets when you're a prince(ss). Their parents live a life much like many diplomats, and as such they are no different from so many other children. Personally, I prefer the "not so normal" royals so whatever extravagance they indulge in I don't mind. But I'm in a minority I know.

Not so in Denmark. Although it is an issue that parents take the children out of school a week before the winter break to go skiing etc. coming back the week the rest of the kids are on the official break.

Yup. There's the proof. What will the world come to? I too think it should be possible to prosecute Danish royalty for breaking UK standards, even if they're not in the UK. Also, any other issue I might find offensive or unfair should also make them subject to prosecution.
This is in no way a petty, sour-grape attitude and whether you agree or disagree, it ought to result in some sort of prosecution or reprimand for the DRF. How dare they?

Personally, I have no problem with it. I sense that you do, though.

Allright moderators. You can ban me. I just couldn't hold it in anymore.

Why don't you point me to the point in my post where I said the members of the DRF should be able to be prosecuted for breaking UK standards? How dare you claim I've said things that I clearly haven't?

I assume that even if there is no mechanism for prosecution, the Danish authorities at the very least, for their children's' sakes, encourage parents not to do what Mary and Fred have done? One would also expect the DRF to set an example for others to follow in this regard? Obviously not.

Gosh, I knew the Mary and Fred fan club would have a fit given that I decided to say something even slightly negative about them, but to be called 'petty' and accused of sour grapes for expressing concern that people can apparently remove their children from education for several weeks without a second thought is really sad.

Try about two weeks EIIR and then take into account the age of the children. Isabella is not even in school for ch.... sake - there is no 'rules' or standards for children in kindergarden being taken along with their parents (other than the grownups in the kindergarden probably being happy for Isabella that she gets to spend time with her family). And Christian is in his very first introductory year in school.

I don't assume that you would appreciate any more being called a F&M detractor than others appreciate being labelled a fanclub - just for not agreeing with you?

Easy now. :)

The alternative for Christian and Isabella was to do without both parents for a month and that's a long time for children that age.
Apart from that Isabella is attending kindergarten, so she won't miss anything and Christian is in preschool, so his won't miss that much either.
And I believe M&F brough a couple of schoolbooks with them, so that Christian can do some "homework" with his parents, not to mention the multitude of educational games there is available for the computer, which practically all parents I know of, who have children that age, use.
Apart from Christian and Isabella seeing their relatives there is also the educational angle in being immersed in a different language (English) and learning about a different culture.
All in all it's not a bad trade.

As for prosecution under the English educational system. It may be frowned upon taking your children out, but it's no reason for prosecution unless you take your children away from school regularly or take them away for a long time, say two or three months. - That would also lead to sanctions here in DK.
We are nowhere near that in this case.

I see a point in running across a road, without looking. I didn't see moster Jane look either, so I guess there wasn't much traffic if any.
Safety rules in traffic should be hammered into the heads of all children.
There is just one little problem: When small children get excited they forget all about what they have been told....
It hardly helps that cars are driving in the "wrong" side of the road in Australia...:p

I don't see how anyone could call me an 'F&M detractor' given that I very, very rarely comment on them at all because I have very little interest in them. The issue of taking children out of education is something that's very close to my heart for personal reasons.

To give you an idea of the system in the UK, my parents took me out of school 2 days before the end of the school year in June some 14 years ago. They were summoned to my school where the headmistress left them in no uncertain terms how important missing even a couple of days of school is. They never did it again.

This board is generally extremely hostile to even the most lukewarm criticism of Mary in particular, as the reaction to Duke of Marmalade and myself demonstrates perfectly.

Why don't you point me to the point in my post where I said the members of the DRF should be able to be prosecuted for breaking UK standards? How dare you claim I've said things that I clearly haven't?

Today at 10.50 (my time) you say:

I believe in the UK parents can actually be prosecuted for taking their children out of school for family holidays.

I suppose it goes to prove though, it's one rule for them and another for the rest of us.

To break it down - you say that there's one rule for them, and another for the rest of us. The only rule you mention in the post is the posibility for procution of parents in the UK. What else can you mean?

If you just mean in general, that royals act under different rules, why bring up the UK possibility of legal action?

Is there another way to read it?

I assume that even if there is no mechanism for prosecution, the Danish authorities at the very least, for their children's' sakes, encourage parents not to do what Mary and Fred have done?
I'm not really sure. The schools don't like it if you skew the holidays - and in a strict sense this could constitute that. However, if the parents are leaving for an extended period to a place where you'll rarely get the chance to go, I don't think they mind.

One would also expect the DRF to set an example for others to follow in this regard? Obviously not.
But what example is that? Stay away from your kids for weeks and weeks? Neglect the tasks and duties of your position? Raise the kids as best they can, while doing their job? My parents didn't travel when I was a kid. But I'd have loved to go to some of the places Christian has been when I was his age.

Today at 10.50 (my time) you say:

To break it down - you say that there's one rule for them, and another for the rest of us. The only rule you mention in the post is the posibility for procution of parents in the UK. What else can you mean?

If you just mean in general, that royals act under different rules, why bring up the UK possibility of legal action?

Is there another way to read it?

I'm not really sure. The schools don't like it if you skew the holidays - and in a strict sense this could constitute that. However, if the parents are leaving for an extended period to a place where you'll rarely get the chance to go, I don't think they mind.

But what example is that? Stay away from your kids for weeks and weeks? Neglect the tasks and duties of your position? Raise the kids as best they can, while doing their job? My parents didn't travel when I was a kid. But I'd have loved to go to some of the places Christian has been when I was his age.

You are clearly choosing to see things that aren't there. I mentioned the UK position as an example of how important removing children from education is even for a very limited amount of time. It had also been mentioned by Danish posters previously that it is frowned upon for parents to take their children out of school for holidays during term time. The DRF evidently are choosing to ignore this.

With regards to the example they're setting. This issue would have been easily fixed if they had chosen to make their visit to Australia in the Danish summer when their children are already off school. I know Australia is warm and sunny at this time of the year but surely they could have made this visit in July for example or lined it up to coincide with their children's Christmas break from school? Or maybe made the visit shorter? I assume they've already had one summer holiday this year, they'll also probably go skiing in the New Year, why the need for another extended holiday now?

:previous:
The timing of the visit would not have solely been up to Mary and Frederik? I think you would find it would also involve the Danish Business Group.

Danish summer means Australian winter which is not the best time to be doing business no matter on which continent your are, unless of course you are selling snow skis.

Last edited:
I don't see how anyone could call me an 'F&M detractor' given that I very, very rarely comment on them at all because I have very little interest in them. The issue of taking children out of education is something that's very close to my heart for personal reasons.

To give you an idea of the system in the UK, my parents took me out of school 2 days before the end of the school year in June some 14 years ago. They were summoned to my school where the headmistress left them in no uncertain terms how important missing even a couple of days of school is. They never did it again.

This board is generally extremely hostile to even the most lukewarm criticism of Mary in particular, as the reaction to Duke of Marmalade and myself demonstrates perfectly.

I don't quite see how it is any worse to ask whether you would be liked to be called a detractor than I or any other would like to be labelled a fanclub - because we have opposite views?
No, this board is not extremely hostile to criticism of Mary & co.; they and their counterparts in other countries get their fair share of criticism. Fine, I just reserve myself the right to post when I find that a comment is not fair - the way I see things. And I disagreed about Duke's comment about bragging about being normal e.g., hence my comment. I also did not agree with your comments about taking children out of school, your personal experience aside. For all you know, I may carry around traumatic experiences of never being taken on holidays as a child - or never being able to take my own kids on holidays because prices rise so much during school holidays.

You are clearly choosing to see things that aren't there. I mentioned the UK position as an example of how important removing children from education is even for a very limited amount of time. It had also been mentioned by Danish posters previously that it is frowned upon for parents to take their children out of school for holidays during term time. The DRF evidently are choosing to ignore this.
Absolutely. It is frowned upon.
However, as another poster pointed out it's not always school holidays and the holidays the parents can get, is at the same time. If for no other reason that all other parents wish to have their holiday when the school is off. Alas that isn't possible. So there is a certain tolerance in regards to taking children out - for as short a period as possible.
That's what M&F did. For the frist two weeks they were busy anyway, so Christian and Isabella are only missing school/kindergarten for two weeks.
As for their winter break. All schools in DK have a week's winter holiday around week #10, so it's not unlikely M&F will schedule their winter holiday for that week. We'll see.

With regards to the example they're setting. This issue would have been easily fixed if they had chosen to make their visit to Australia in the Danish summer when their children are already off school. I know Australia is warm and sunny at this time of the year but surely they could have made this visit in July for example or lined it up to coincide with their children's Christmas break from school? Or maybe made the visit shorter? I assume they've already had one summer holiday this year, they'll also probably go skiing in the New Year, why the need for another extended holiday now?

I disagree with you here. Because this was an official visit and a lot of things has to fit together. There is only so much M&F can do to influence the time for an official visit.
It is in my eyes natural that Mary in particular, and probably Frederik as well, would like to visit their Australian relatives. There is no need to deprive Christian and Isabella of that pleasure.
And as far as I could tell there was a good deal of expectation in the Australian press that all their children would come. And I can certainly understand that. M&F's marriage is in so many ways a cultural link and I think I would find it a bit odd if it was the other way around. I.e. M&F lived in Australia and they wouldn't take Christian and Isabella with them when they visited DK.
And royals are hardly normal, eh? ;)

As soon as anyone says anything even hinting at criticism on this board of Mary and Fred a whole legion of posters immediately rubbish their opinion. I was just accused of being petty and and of sour grapes for suggesting that perhaps it's not the best thing for young children to miss 2 weeks of school. It would appear that for several posters on this board no criticism, no matter how measured or politely stated, is justified.

Also, the idea that Mary and Fred didn't have the lion's share of the say over the timing of this visit is laughable. A Danish business delegation would, I'm sure, have fallen into line with anything the royal couple asked because, let's face it, a Danish business delegation is not going to get much media space in Australia without Mary along.

Oh, and I didn't realise that the only business done in the Austalian winter is the buying and selling of skis. I hadn't realised that Australian winters were so harsh.

This might be true, concerning the Danish section here, but wasn't it you who called the posters' criticism regarding the Duchess of Cambridge's FASHION (!) bullying? :confused: Double standards much? Sometimes I just don't understand why people here can't act like adults and stay civil towards each-other. It's just a forum to discuss royals most of us don't know personally...

Last edited:
EIIR put up a valid point: That M&F have the big word in regards to when this visit should take place.
I disagree. I don't think it's M&F who matters. It's the schedule of the Danish and Australian businessmen which is important.
M&F just have to conform as much as they can.

Okay - everyone cool it!

We are all adults here, therefore we should be able to act like it. I will take this opportunity to ask, and remind, everyone to act civily towards each other, with the respect that you would show people in face-to-face conversation. Just because you are safely behind a computer screen, does not mean you can insult other members (calling them 'petty', stating they cannot accept criticism, etc etc).

So please, for everyone's sake, act like the adults that we are.

And a further reminder, any questions relating to moderator actions should be made via PM to the moderators - not within thread.

JessRulz
Danish Forum Moderator

I've come late to the discussion and have no interest for it, but I will say this. Missing two weeks of school is most unlikley to make any difference to either Christian or Isabella.

If they were undertaking study at a notably higher level then perhaps, but they are quite young and the standard of work children receive is hardly going to require their continued concentration for hours on end.

This might be true, concerning the Danish section here, but wasn't it you who called the posters' criticism regarding the Duchess of Cambridge's FASHION (!) bullying? :confused: Double standards much? Sometimes I just don't understand why people here can't act like adults and stay civil towards each-other. It's just a forum to discuss royals most of us don't know personally...

There is a complete and total difference between saying, perhaps taking children out of education for 2 weeks is not the best idea, and stating that a young woman looks like a clown, is trashy and is evidently borderline anorexic. The two things could not be more different. One is done in order to cause hurt and the other is a legitimate comment.

It's incredibly offensive for you to even suggest they're the same.

As the attentive among us have noticed, M&F are still in Australia and wouldn't you know Billed Bladet has an article about that.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #49, 2011.
Mary og Frederiks australske paradis - Mary and Frederik's Australian paradise.
Written by our correspondent down under Anna Johannesen.

BB quotes Australian papers.
After the whole family was reunited, they all went to the town of Sorrento, located on Mornington Peninsula not far from Melbourne.
The place is apparantly for the more wealthy.
M&F brought a nanny (most likely two) so Mary had time for some shopping.
She cruised Ocean Beach Road, in Sorrento, where a lot of expensive shops are located.
Mary gazed at shoes in Cinori.
Browsed clothes and assessories in Debs Boutique.
Mary was casual in flat shoes, the hair hanging loose and loose hareem pants.

Tuesday Frederik touched down in Tasmania with two children at 17.20.
Mary arrived onboard a Jetair flight at 17.30 with two more children.
The temperature in Tasmania is apparantly lower than around Melbourne, so Frederik wore a vest and Mary a long sleeved sweather..

----

However there is also a question from Australia in this weeks Q&A. Albeit from a Dane living in Australia.

Hanne Schiøtz was wondering whether it isn't incorrect when some Australian media say "Prince Frederick" and "Princess Mary", because their titles don't change when going abroad, do they?

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that titles indeed do not change. Their correct English titles are: Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary. He then goes on to list a number of Australian papers and networks who actually got it right.

:previous:

As previously noted in the visit thread - the Australian media, and the media in general, are what I would call 'lazy' in terms of getting facts/titles/etc related to royalty correct (don't even get me started on the William and Catherine wedding coverage here).

Simply calling them 'Prince/ss' instead of 'Crown Prince/ss' may also have to do with it not being 'our' tradition/custom, ie. the British Royal Family don't have a 'Crown Prince' title - there's the Prince of Wales instead. Most of the general Australian public would not really have an idea as to why there is a 'Crown' infront of the 'Prince/ss', so it gets omitted by the media.

I can see both sides of the school issue. IMO, the overall life experience Christian and Isabella will get from this trip has a lot of value. Seeing a new place, spending time with their mother's family, improving their english... that's all important and they're incredibly fortunate to have such an opportunity. I also think that, unless we're talking about a clearly neglectful or abusive family, school authorities take a back seat to family authority. Mary and Frederik are the children's parents, therefore they get to decide how they're going to handle these sorts of things for their family.

That being said, as a daughter of a teacher, I know first hand that having kids in and out of the classroom like this can be disruptive, not only for the kids who have been travelling, but also for the rest of the class, (especially for small children), and for the teacher. I do think parents have a responsibility to balance their family's needs/wants vs. what's best for the school community their children are now a part of. And Mary and Frederik should be especially conscious of this, IMO, because of who they are...even if he disagrees with the choice they're making I think even the most egalitarian minded school administrator is probably not going to be as direct and upfront with the Crown Prince and Princess as he would be with other parents.

I think some people have a harsh justify regarding to the children missing school and especially when it comes to the Royal family. Well, just think how much the kindergarten and pre-school kids have daily work in class? In additional, how does people know that either Fred or Mary don’t take extra homework assignment for the children and have them work on it each day before they go out and play. Does people think if they have president and the president family won’t take their children out of school when they go on president’s business trip?

We are talking about children who are in preschool and grade 1 right? Not children who are writing their thesis in organic chemistry or some other higher studies? If they are not working while in Australia, with the help of their parents and nannies, I still don't think it should be too much to get caught up once they return to their home.
I can recall being taken out of school whe I was 13 and 14 to accompany my parents on trips to China & Japan and another one to Brazil because they thought the experience would be just as valuable as what I would learn in a school room and I think they were right.

We are talking about children who are in preschool and grade 1 right? Not children who are writing their thesis in organic chemistry or some other higher studies? If they are not working while in Australia, with the help of their parents and nannies, I still don't think it should be too much to get caught up once they return to their home.
I can recall being taken out of school whe I was 13 and 14 to accompany my parents on trips to China & Japan and another one to Brazil because they thought the experience would be just as valuable as what I would learn in a school room and I think they were right.

I didn't want to get involved in this conversation because it concerns solely C+I, F+M, and school officials but just a point to make:
From personal experience, time away from the school environment (at any age) is good IMO. I'm not saying months at a time but C+I are only away two weeks from pre-school and kindergarten. Hardly major concept-learning being absent from.

My parents took me out of school at least once a year in my younger years for 2-3 weeks at a time and I can assure you the things I learned on those trips were more influential in my life now than the pieces of schoolwork I missed back in New York.

Even in my second year of undergraduate studies I missed 9 days, for a much more valuable event than sitting in classes four days a week taking notes. And there was no problem for me to make up any work or understand anything I missed nor the professor to make time for me. Thus, is more than possible to make up elementary work for two weeks.

Most countries used to have truancy officers and actively punish children for missing school, yet no one wonders why that is no longer the case. Schools have learned that experiences outside the classroom are no less important than the ones in the classroom.

Last edited:
How do we know that Prince Christians teacher did not send some papers for him to learn and finish like homework. Perhaps HRH or a nanny would help him learn this. In this country many children living on a road trip situation with there parents do correspondence while travelling. I've met a great many parents with children of all ages who travel around the country doing this.
But I really think they don't do much in the last two weeks of school in the run up to Christmas. As most have done there exams earlier. But I don't think there HRH's would allow there children to miss out on serious curriculum/learning if there were any in the last two weeks. They would make sure that any learning materials would come with them.

I didn't want to get involved in this conversation because it concerns solely C+I, F+M, and school officials but just a point to make:
From personal experience, time away from the school environment (at any age) is good IMO. I'm not saying months at a time but C+I are only away two weeks from pre-school and kindergarten. Hardly major concept-learning being absent from.
I didn't want to get involved in this as well but really, all this ranting over a very short absence for two very young children is just plain nuts.

From the tone of some posters one would think the Frederik and Mary are delinquent parents of the worst order instead of loving parents who want their kids to know their immediate family and their mother's homeland.

Why are so many posts filled with anger to the point of vilification? This seems so over the top and makes me wonder what sort of limits and bounds they set themselves and their families. Boarding school for all perhaps? No? Of course not, just harder rules for the DRF than any other parents.

That's a sweet story. Thanks, lancchick. :flowers:

25 degress C? And we are going to have a severe storm tonight here in DK. - No, I'm not envious...:whistling:

I see in the article that it specifically mention the PET officers protecting M&F. They were pretty absent during the official part of the visit, where Australian security took over.
It was also PET who took care of the close security during their last private visit to Tasmania, with the local police providing perimeter security.
That makes me wonder about the rules of security.
When M&F were out in the bush on a remote holiday farm, before they were married, PET trailed along. That was also the case when Frederik and a friend was out in the bush in 2000. There were no Australian police officers around on both occasions. I just find it hard to imagine that the PET officers were unarmed.
Any ideas in that regards?
FET agents sometimes use diplomatic immunity in order to circumnavigate local gun-laws.

Last edited:
Most countries used to have truancy officers and actively punish children for missing school, yet no one wonders why that is no longer the case. Schools have learned that experiences outside the classroom or no less important than the ones in the classroom.
We still have a very active truant officer in our son's high school. They try to track down students who cut classes and are in danger of not graduating from high school.
Legally, at least in this state, pre-kindergarten and kindergarten are not required.(though the vast majority do attend) Children are only required to attend first grade through age 16 when they can drop out.

25 degress C? And we are going to have a severe storm tonight here in DK. - No, I'm not envious...:whistling:

I see in the article that it specifically mention the PET officers protecting M&F. They were pretty absent during the official part of the visit, where Australian security took over.
It was also PET who took care of the close security during their last private visit to Tasmania, with the local police providing perimeter security.
When M&F were out in the bush on a remote holiday farm, before they were married, PET trailed along. That was also the case when Frederik and a friend was out in the bush in 2000. There were no Australian police officers around on both occasions. I just find it hard to imagine that the PET officers were unarmed.
FET agents sometimes use diplomatic immunity in order to circumnavigate local gun-laws.
Funny you mentioned that because when I saw the photos of F&M arriving in Tasmania on their different flights, I was struck by the "look" of the security. I had seen them in NYC when F&M made their visit and they resemble them.

I didn't want to get involved in this as well but really, all this ranting over a very short absence for two very young children is just plain nuts.

From the tone of some posters one would think the Frederik and Mary are delinquent parents of the worst order instead of loving parents who want their kids to know their immediate family and their mother's homeland.

Why are so many posts filled with anger to the point of vilification? This seems so over the top and makes me wonder what sort of limits and bounds they set themselves and their families. Boarding school for all perhaps? No? Of course not, just harder rules for the DRF than any other parents.
I agree 100%!!! :ROFLMAO:
You know...sometimes people should just walk away from the computer and take some deep breaths!:whistling:
CP Frederik and CP Mary are Christian and Isabella's parents...not any of us!..And nothing indicates that CP Frederik and CP Mary are delinquent parents! I trust them to know what's good for their children.
I mean if they had a habit of going to Australia annually...I would understand the argument...but that is not the case. It may be 2 or more years before the CP Family travel back to Australia.
Didn't the Norwegian CP Couple take their much older children out of school for 2 months last year? Yeah...there was this same hullaballoo...and then what? Life has gone on!

I was curious about the security too! Don't PET follow Isabella and Christian when they are out in public as well? I didn't see them in the video with Jane when she, Christian and Isabella are running!
Granted...it was a very short video...but it looked to me as if there was no PET present.:ohmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom