General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 9: May - December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who want personal trivia about M&F look here: Mary danser helst til Alphabeat - dr.dk/Nyheder/Kultur

There is a cultural award show tonight, where M&F will be present. In that connection the coverage of that show on DR1, will include M&F talking about their preferences in regards to culture. I.e. music, poetry and so on.
There is a brief preview in the link above.

When Smoke on the Water is on, the speakers inside the Crown cars are put on high!
(- It's a great song, so who can blame them?)

M&F know a children's book called: Little Frog by heart.

Mary will apparantly be visibly moved when she tonight talks about a poem, she shared with Frederik early on in their relationship.

Frederik catually likes to dance Les Lanciers (which is discussed birefly in the clip in the link), while Mary prefer Alphabeat's 10.000 Nights of Thunder.
(Yeah okay, it ain't Bruce Springsteen's Hand me my money down...).

I hope someone will cover this, because I'll be on a date tonight so I won't see it.

Last edited:
Crown Prince Frederik participated in the Merida MTB Bike Marathon, October 2, 2011.
Solen skinnede over de mange MTB-ryttere - sn.dk - Sjællands Nyheder - Lokal - Hillerød
Google Translation
gallery: Solen skinnede over de mange MTB-ryttere - sn.dk - Sjællands Nyheder - Lokal - Hillerød

http://www.sn.dk/Kronprinsen-kom-godt-fra-start/Hilleroed/artikel/155470
Google Translation
http://theroyalcorrespondent.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/182041_590_450_0_0_0_0.jpg

Ekstra Bladet - Frede ville score kunst til millioner
Google Translation
That's quite interesting, I hope I understood it right: Frederik wanted the painings in Frederik VIII's Palace to be owned by him (why not to him and Mary?), but that was rejected due to the fact that they are currently owned by the Danish government, which owns the Royal Palace, the paintings are now a part of.
Realdania Fund donated 7,360,000 kroner in fees to the artists and also paid the architectural firm one million kroner. The total running bill of the art on the walls are 9,290,000 kroner. The paintings can still be removed from the walls if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who want personal trivia about M&F look here: Mary danser helst til Alphabeat - dr.dk/Nyheder/Kultur

There is a cultural award show tonight, where M&F will be present. In that connection the coverage of that show on DR1, will include M&F talking about their preferences in regards to culture. I.e. music, poetry and so on.
There is a brief preview in the link above.

When Smoke on the Water is on, the speakers inside the Crown cars are put on high!
(- It's a great song, so who can blame them?)

M&F know a children's book called: Little Frog by heart.

Mary will apparantly be visibly moved when she tonight talks about a poem, she shared with Frederik early on in their relationship.

Frederik catually likes to dance Les Lanciers (which is discussed birefly in the clip in the link), while Mary prefer Alphabeat's 10.000 Nights of Thunder.
(Yeah okay, it ain't Bruce Springsteen's Hand me my money down...).

I hope someone will cover this, because I'll be on a date tonight so I won't see it.

:previous: Thanks as always Muhler. Did any of our Danish members manage to watch this? I would love to know some of the tidbits!

fairy tale, Ekstra Bladet is an anti-DRF magazine so it wouldn't surprise me if they twisted the story to make Frederik look bad or greedy... :whistling:

Hopefully not. I hope that the press will show self-restraint and respect not only Christian as a child but also the other children at his school. Unless the boundaries shift in the coming years, I think they will. They (mostly) respected the privacy of Christian and Isabella at their kindergarden in Fredensborg.
Well I'am not saying every day...

Google Translation
That's quite interesting, I hope I understood it right: Frederik wanted the painings in Frederik VIII's Palace to be owned by him (why not to him and Mary?), but that was rejected due to the fact that they are currently owned by the Danish government, which owns the Royal Palace, the paintings are now a part of.
Realdania Fund donated 7,360,000 kroner in fees to the artists and also paid the architectural firm one million kroner. The total running bill of the art on the walls are 9,290,000 kroner. The paintings can still be removed from the walls if necessary.

Does anyone else know anything about this? It seems odd that they (he?) would want ownership of artwork that he didn't fund on display in a historic palace that he doesn't own. To ask for the ownership seems well...tacky and rude especially since since their request for the art to be fund by the Realdania fund was turned down the first time. If they wanted him to own it personal ownership why didn't they just pay for it themselves to begin with?

Google Translation

I'm a little busy these days and I had hoped another Danish member would take care of that one.
It's nothing.

It's a question about who will be the formal owner of and thus control the artworks in the palais.
Slots og Ejendomsstyrelsen i.e. the state, which in principle could strip the building of the artwork at any moment, should a government suddenly find that amusing.
Or the DRF, and to be more specific: The Heir to the Throne, i.e. at present Frederik.
Mary is of course not considered as a owner. She and Frederik could after all end up being divorced and in that case she would own half the artwork and that would be an unfortunate situation.

Ekstra Bladet tried to angle this story as Frederik being greedy, when it's really about securing that the artworks stay at Amalienborg. - A nice try, but the artworks are worth a great dea, and of course the state would be reluctant to let go of such an asset.

Billed Bladet #40 is out.

And you may wish to get a pack of tissues because some sweet romance is coming up.

I'm a little preoccupied these days, so I'll write about the articles if and when I get around to do it.

Frederik has been present at all the councils and audiences in connection with the recent general election and forming of a new government.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...e-of-the-danish-monarch-4050.html#post1324378

Joachim won the Danish Championships in racing in his class.

The CP-Couple's Culture Prize was handend out.

Frederik rode the MTB Marathon in Hillerød on mountain bike. 67 kilometres.

Our Marie paid tribute to the president of the Danish AIDS Foundation, the diva Susse Wold. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ts-part-1-march-2009-a-20230.html#post1324359

Joachim was in Sønderborg to hand out a prize on behalf of CSR Foundation. Which is focusing on innovation in regards to recycling and sustainable energy.

The Q&A this week is about who arragned the funeral of Queen Ingrid. - Mainly the family and the court.
And Jon Bloch Skipper is defending Frederik in response to a reader, who commented on a particular unintelligable sentence Frederik said during the press meeting in Russia recently. - You might enjoy the reply and I think most of you would agree wholeheartedly.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/the-future-of-the-danish-monarchy-14778.html#post1324403

Countess Alexandra is patron of the DR1 Girls Choir and she talks about her fondness for singing.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...arities-and-patronages-22375.html#post1324680

Mary visited the kindergarten Danalien in Aalborg and spoke about the importance and significanse of reading aloud to your children.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-september-11th-2007-a-13872.html#post1324363

La belle Marie went to Tønder to attend an event for the social volunteer centre Broen. Bette Henrik has now been told that he is going to be an older brother, whether he understands it is another matter.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ts-part-1-march-2009-a-20230.html#post1324412

The DRF attended the opening of the Parliament. And that is well covered as well.

--------------------------------------------

And then (fanfare) some trivia and a good deal of romance from Mary & Frederik.
This will be in two parts. First part is trivia and the second part is partially an interview and I'll have to write that first.

Trivia from an article in Billed Bladet #40, 2011.
Written by John Lautrup and Ulrik Ulriksen.

In connection with M&F handing out the Cultural Award they also spoke about themselves in clips on TV.
During the show one of the recipients paid Frederik a compliment by saying: "You're too cool, Frede".

The headlines in Billed Bladet led me to believe that Mary had written a poem to Frederik, she didn't. Very early on in their relationship she send Frederik her favourite poem: How Do I Love Thee by Elizabeth Barrett Browning - which is a very vivid poem about passionate love.

Trivia:
The best rock song.
Mary: "Led Zeppelin's Battle For Ever More. It's utterly fantastic. Unique, among other things because of the guitar that is part of the piece".
Frederik: Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water is in itself pretty impressive. It's very classical number and it's loathed by many. (*) When Smoke on the Water is played in the car, I'd say there is a need to turn up the volume, also for the benefit of the next generation. Christian likes to rock along and play air-guitar, when hear that piece".

Best movie.
Frederik: "That's Apocalypse Now". (**) It was pretty exciting for me, because it was war and gunpowder and back then you were a soldier yourself. (***) The whole making of the movie in itself, but also the novel it's based upon, which has nothing to do with the Vietnam War and which was written several decades before, has facinated me afterwards and can still fascinate me just as much today. That's a very determining movie for me".
Mary: "Yeah, that's a good one".

Best classical hit.
Mary: "I've always had with Beethoven's 5. Symphony that this is something very strong, which moves me deeply when I listen to it".
Frederik: "Of classical works an earhanger for me is the overtour to the ballet Romeo and Juliet". (****)

Best children's book.
Mary: "There is a book that keeps popping up as far as I am concerned and that is: Where The Wild Things Are (Villy Vilddyr). That's something I remember from my childhood and I look forward to share it with my children. But our children likes the author who has written Mustafa's Kiosk and The Little Frog. That's utterly fantastic. The Little Frog has been a hit for a long time here at home". - Mary and Frederik then laughingly quotes the book together: "You are the most dreadful little frog. Get down from my mountain". (*****)

Biggest cultural experience.
Mary: "My favourite poem is a poe by Elizabeth Barret Browning: How Do I Love Thee.
Frederik: I was so fortunate to be a teenager in the 80's when Danish football/soccer really rose from nothing to a lot. There was in particular one goal scored by Preben Elkjær in connection with a national match against Russia, where he made some fatanstic moves through the penalty field resulting in a goal. Unfortunately I wasn't present in the Park during the match, but I watch in on TV. It was a starry moment".

Best author.
Mary: "Olav Hergel. His way of writing suits just my way of reading. His novels: The immigrant" and "The Refugee" are also very, very good".
Frederik: "After those two or three times during my childhood, where my mother read out all of Tolkien Lord of the Rings, I read it myself - also at a time, where I sort of felt that now I should have a go myself. And Tolkien is definitely an author I've returned to". (******)

Most grand architecture.
Mary: "I'd say the pyramids. There is something that really makes you wonder. How the Egyptians could do it? So I look forward to one day experience the pyramids in real life".
Frederik: "The Pyramids are unique. Utterly incomprehensible what they back then was able to master to perfection of architecture. It can hardly be done better today, despite we having som many means to help us and electronics". (*******)

Best album.
Mary: "That's Jeff Buckley's Grace". (********)
Frederik: "That's the record called Moonflower, made by Carlos Santana. It's half studio, half live recording. It certainly was when it was made. Now it's just one big download. It's incredibly exciting and wide ranging. There is both instrumental music and singing on the record. And guitar solos".

Best dance music.
Mary: "That's Alphabeat's 10.000 Nights of Thunder".
Frederik: "Yeah, you really like that number.
Absolutely, Lancier. That's not off the mark. There are five passages. (Mary interjects: "That's always a good round of fun"). The music is from an album called: Hopsa".

More later.....

(*) Who must be cultural barbarians.... It must be an oversight that M&F didn't mention Pink Floyd's album The Wall as their first choice. With the scathing When the Tigers Broke Free as one of the best parts of that work.

(**) Good choice, Frederik!

(***) Eeh? Frederik still went to school, when that movie was released.

(****) Nah, Tchaikovsky's 1. Piano Concerto is better.

(*****) The Wind in the Willows, still a classic.

(******) Tom Sharpe, and his mad charaters, not least in Riotous Assembly.

(*******) The Great Wall(s) of China. Just like the Pyramids an impressive political statement.

(********) Hallelujah is played often a military funerals here in DK.

Last edited:
Continuation of an article in Billed Bladet #40, 2011.
Top-point til Frederik og Mary - Top marks for Frederik and Mary.
Written by John Lautrup and Ulrik Ulriksen.
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2011/10/Mary%20til%20Frederik%20Jeg%20elsker%20dig%20ind%20i%20det%20naeste%20liv.aspx
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelig...erik og Mary kan baere kongehuset videre.aspx

This deals with M&F talking about the more romantic part of their relationship and also with comments from a historian and the interviewer.

The poem Mary wrote down and send to Frederik early in their relationship is How Do I Love Thee by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]I love thee to the depth and breadth and height[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]I love thee to the level of everyday's[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]I love thee with a passion put to use[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]I love thee with a love I seemed to lose[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Monaco]I shall but love thee better after death.[/FONT]

That stems back from the preriod where Frederik lived in DK and Mary still lived in Australia.
Mary: "My favourite poem is a poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, How Do I Love Thee, which has always been something special to me. And it's something I have from my father. It's also his favorite poem. It's just so beautiful and it's about love. And in the last line it reads that if God choose, I shall but love thee better after death.
That was a total declaration of love from my part".
Visibly moving Frederik who was sitting next to Mary in the interview and then commenting: "You wrote that to me, just when we had gotten to know each other. It was the Crown Princess who just wrote it down for me in one of the many exchanges, letter-exhanges, e-mail-exhanges we had".

Frederik's most well known declaration of love to Mary is from his wedding speech:
"I love you, Mary - come let us go, come let us see - through a thousand worlds awaits weightless love".

(But of course his words when he proposed to Mary in Rome, left quite a few of you swooning, I understand;)
One of the most well known and strongest declarations of love is of course the Sullivan Ballou letter, which American members in particular are familiar with).

This is of course very different from how the Regent Couple present themselves. Mary and Frederik are from a different age and simply different.
Jon Bloch Skipper comments: "The openness they display is the basic foundation for the time, they are a part of. For the DRF it's healthy/beneficial that they have embraced it. But it's not that they run a different style from Queen Margrethe. They are simply different people in a different age. They are young, open people, who would like to carry the monarchy into the new century".
He adds that the CP-couple in it's modern open way is helping to secure the foundation upon which the monarchy rests. That is, a foundation of positive identification. The Danes can reflect themselves in Mary and Frederik's values and norms, because they are similar to their own. The two of them are able to signal that they are a part of the times. That they are humans for good or for worse.
"It's really healthy as long as they protect their private lives. The day the press start to go through their garbage bins in order to find dirt, things go wrong".

The interviewer was Anders Agger, who was behind the documentary about the DRF behind the scenes and as such M&F are very familiar with him.
It was his idea to "open things up" by asking them about their favourite whatevers.
He said: "We had fun. Without that having to be misunderstood, it was a bit like sitting with good friends and asking each other about what we like best of this and that. It must after all also be much easier for them to answer something specific like their preferred guitar solo, rather than in a mora abstract manner to talk about their cultural consumption".
The interview was made at Amalienborg, in their home.

For those who don't know it, here is the Sullivan Ballou letter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxDP6q6C5mE&feature=related

Last edited:
Muhler, thanks so much for posting the interviews here and on other DFR threads. I really appreciate it and I bet others do too.

I don't know which I enjoyed more, the Crown Prince couple's choices or Muhlers! Thanks for both, in any case!:flowers::cheers::author:

Muhler, I really appreciate the information on the Danish royal family that you provide the forum with. And it would be half so fun to read without the personal interjections!

This was a nice interview, I thought, giving us a peak into the 'who' behind the title. It must be difficult for royals to be personable, known, connected, and in tune with the times whilst protecting their privacy and not stripping the 'institution' of all mystique. Frederick and Mary seem to want to strike this balance, and I wish them all the best.

Mary: "There is a book that keeps popping up as far as I am concerned and that is: Where The Wild Things Are

Has long been a favourite children's book here in Australia. Was a favourite of mine as a child also.

Muhler: you need to give us the Danish translation of 'Where the Wild Things are' there are n't many words in it, are there?

Muhler: you need to give us the Danish translation of 'Where the Wild Things are' there are n't many words in it, are there?

I'm not sure I understand.
Where the Wild Things Are is the original English title of that book. It has been translated to Danish as: Villy Vilddyr = Villy wild beast.

It was my pleasure, Gerry, Emmily & PrincessApple :)

Thanks Muhler, once again very interesting reading. I remember Elizabeth Barrett Browning's poem very much. Studied it as part of my Literature course and thought it to be a very powerful "love poem."

Thanks Muhler, really appreciate your efforts especially since you have a bad arm. Please don't over do it and cause any harm to your injury. Cheers and all the very best.

Thanks Muhler, really appreciate your efforts especially since you have a bad arm. Please don't over do it and cause any harm to your injury. Cheers and all the very best.

You are welcome Tarlita and Stallad and thanks for asking.
My arm is fine, almost back to normal. It's simply a question of working out and lifting objects. :cheers:

Apparently Frederik was interviewed after the football match on Tuesday (Denmark-Portugal 2-1) having too much beer or so.
His speech seemed to be somewhat slurred. At least Denmark got the qualification :p
Lisa Lents til Frederik: Du er fuld - Royalt - SE og HØR

Its not the first time, neither brother shies away from having a drink or two or at times too many.

Apparently Frederik was interviewed after the football match on Tuesday (Denmark-Portugal 2-1) having too much beer or so.
His speech seemed to be somewhat slurred. At least Denmark got the qualification :p
Lisa Lents til Frederik: Du er fuld - Royalt - SE og HØR

Its not the first time, neither brother shies away from having a drink or two or at times too many.

Se & Hør? I'll take that with a grain of salt.

And even if he had had a beer or two too many. So what? He wasn't on the job and he wasn't dancing naked and dead drunk through the streets.

He has so often been compared to Frederik IX, who also liked a beer or two from time to time. :cheers:
And from what my family has told me, Frederik IX didn't shy away from having a beer with the odd blue collar workerwho was on the way home from work, when he, the king, was working on his boat, only with an adjutant around. - Whether that is true or not, I can't say but it's certainly believable.

I knew someone who is an alcoholic and he drove a taxi for many years. He told me that the amateur-drinkers are the worst. When they go to town, they no longer know when to stop. - I think there's a lot of truth in that.

Se & Hør? I'll take that with a grain of salt.
And even if he had had a beer or two too many. So what? He wasn't on the job and he wasn't dancing naked and dead drunk through the streets.
I doubt Frederik was the only Dane having a few beers at that game...
His brother doesn't seem to be one to "spit in the glass" (as we say) at these events either. There was a photo somewhere yesterday, where it looked like he was in a cheerful mood too.

I also drink beer and smiled ...
is that a bad thing?
William Shakespeare said: "I always feel happy, you know why? Because I do not expect anything from anyone, waiting always hurts. The problems are not eternal, always have a solution, the only thing that does not resolve is death. Life is short, so love it, be happy and always smiling, just live intensely."

Muhler, as always, thank you so much for all your translations :flowers:. The Mary and Frederik interview was a jewel. I really like this couple, and love learning more about them and their children.

'How Do I Love Thee' by Elizabeth Barrett Browning is one of my favorite poems as well. It brings tears to my eyes every time I read it.

Muhler, as always, thank you so much for all your translations :flowers:. The Mary and Frederik interview was a jewel. I really like this couple, and love learning more about them and their children.

'How Do I Love Thee' by Elizabeth Barrett Browning is one of my favorite poems as well. It brings tears to my eyes every time I read it.

You are most welcome, Daria S. :)

How about an good old fashioned anti-climax?
Billed-Bladet - Svigerinden: Sådan tabte Mary sig efter fødslen

Mary's sister-in-law, Leanne Donaldson, has told Women's Day how Mary so quickly and efficiently lost weight and regained her old figure, after giving birth to the twins.
Are you ready for an excersize plan? Diet-plan? Yeah? Get set...

Here is what Leanne told Women's Day: "She's so active that she just burns off calories. Just like the rest of the family she's totally dedicated to excersize. She is always walking, jogging or riding horses. And now she's also running around after four children - that can with guarantee keep anyone fit".

Yeah, okay....:ohmy::huh:

So now you know, don't buy Women's Day (or Billed Bladet) just based on that headline. :lol:

I'm sure our Australian members can confirm that Leanne basically said nothing.

ADDED: TV2 Gossip has more on the Women's Day article, where an expert speculate about how Mary got fit again: Eksperter: Sådan tabte Mary sig - TV 2 Vip
We are informed that due to our healthy diet, we here in Scandinavia, don't have that many problems with obesity.
- That's the joke of the week. :ROFLMAO:
We certainly do have problems with obesity! Which is why the Parliament introduced a "fat-tax" recently. (American members are probably familiar with that). In reality it's just a pretext to raise the taxes a bit, since vat on healthy food hasn't been lowered.

Last edited:
Muhler, I would like to add my thanks also for the translation of the interview with Mary and Frederik. I like that they included the interview it made warm and personal.

The poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning is one I had to learn at school, and is still one of my favourites.

The "interview" in Woman's Day, if I remember correctly, something very similar was written after Isabella was born, maybe the only difference is the number the children that M&F have.

How about an good old fashioned anti-climax?
Billed-Bladet - Svigerinden: Sådan tabte Mary sig efter fødslen

Mary's sister-in-law, Leanne Donaldson, has told Women's Day how Mary so quickly and efficiently lost weight and regained her old figure, after giving birth to the twins.
Are you ready for an excersize plan? Diet-plan? Yeah? Get set...

Here is what Leanne told Women's Day: "She's so active that she just burns off calories. Just like the rest of the family she's totally dedicated to excersize. She is always walking, jogging or riding horses. And now she's also running around after four children - that can with guarantee keep anyone fit".

Yeah, okay....:ohmy::huh:

So now you know, don't buy Women's Day (or Billed Bladet) just based on that headline. :lol:

I'm sure our Australian members can confirm that Leanne basically said nothing.

ADDED: TV2 Gossip has more on the Women's Day article, where an expert speculate about how Mary got fit again: Eksperter: Sådan tabte Mary sig - TV 2 Vip
We are informed that due to our healthy diet, we here in Scandinavia, don't have that many problems with obesity.
- That's the joke of the week. :ROFLMAO:
We certainly do have problems with obesity! Which is why the Parliament introduced a "fat-tax" recently. (American members are probably familiar with that). In reality it's just a pretext to raise the taxes a bit, since vat on healthy food hasn't been lowered.

Beeing an active women and running around after four children is not suficient of course...you must follow a very healthy eating plan, joined with exercise, jogging burns lot of calories, she needs to run at least 20 to 30 minutes per day and of course Princess Mary doesn't have a heavy body, she is a thin person genetic so it is easy...and of course she looks after her and she sure makes and effort to be in shape!

Does anyone know how much 'private' time M&F will spend in Australia after their official commitments? Official Australia stuff from 19-26th November, then Fred off to Vietnam solo from the 27th Nov-1st Dec....So my real question is: will Christmas be celebrated down under or is that too much to ask of the Crown Prince Couple because their official Danish Christmas/New Years program is of prime importance? I was hoping the twins would spend their first birthday in Australia/Tasmania but that is a full month and a week after Fred's official duties finish and it would be a long holiday!!!...Tell me what you know oh wise and knowing DRF experts! ;)

From reports so far, Mary will stay in Australia while Frederik is in Vietnam. I doubt they will spend Christmas in Australia, that would mean they will spend about a month in Australia (official visit & private visit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom